Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

How you get your books...

Old October 17th, 2008, 5:34 am
Registered Animagus

Re: How you get your books...

If I want manga I'll go to Borders and read the first volume of something and then decide if I want to buy it or not. If there's a book I know I want (HP for example) I go to wherever I can get it cheapest usually a department store.

Old October 17th, 2008, 7:57 pm
Fourth Year

When I was younger, I would steal books. Thankfully, I grew out of that, and now I buy my books from Barnes and Nobles.

Old October 17th, 2008, 8:19 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
I usually always buy my books. I despise the library. I don't like reading books that have been read before me. I love getting them new, with that new book smell. I have to keep them in mint condition of course. And I don't like giving books back! Stupid library, you can't have your book back!

Besides, I'm trying to create my own library, I just love books!
I like both smells actually, the smell of old library book if it's fairly clean really appreciate them, for me anyways, because i'm crazy and overthink everything

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old October 17th, 2008, 8:28 pm
Fifth Year

I used to borrow lots of books from the school library, but I think I now mostly buy them, either at Waterstone's or on Amazon. I do swap books with friends from time to time, but for some reason, books from friends never seem to get read.

"Six years ter the day since we met, Harry, d'yeh remember it?"
"Vaguely...didn't you smash down the front door, give Dudley a pig's tail and tell me I was a wizard?"
"I forge' the details."

Old October 18th, 2008, 3:29 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFinch View Post
I used to borrow lots of books from the school library, but I think I now mostly buy them, either at Waterstone's or on Amazon. I do swap books with friends from time to time, but for some reason, books from friends never seem to get read.
That's funny, I never seem to get my books back.... I lent Wicked to my friend Tiffany, and never seen it again. Then I lent Hanniable to my loser friend Austin, regret doing that too now. Sorry, but I don't think I can lend mine out anymore, they're too precious to lose....

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old October 18th, 2008, 11:29 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
That's funny, I never seem to get my books back.... I lent Wicked to my friend Tiffany, and never seen it again. Then I lent Hanniable to my loser friend Austin, regret doing that too now. Sorry, but I don't think I can lend mine out anymore, they're too precious to lose....
I got my book back when i finally let someone borrow it, but it came back with a few more creases than before....

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old October 19th, 2008, 1:30 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
I got my book back when i finally let someone borrow it, but it came back with a few more creases than before....
Argh! I hate that too! People don't show no respect when it comes to your possessions, especially when they're precious.....

Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old October 19th, 2008, 2:47 am
Qvack...

I notice that someone here (Hysteria!!) talked about buying books at department stores. I used never do this, until recently I wandered into Tesco looking for cookies, and stumbled across the book department, where I got a copy of The Kite Runner for €5. This is a huge, huge saving over the €11.50 or so that book costs elsewhere- and it was still in perfect condition and everything. Just goes to show you how easily we're overtaken by the profiteering bookstores...

I think books are too expensive.. I pay less for films than books, and to me, that's all wrong and less than encouraging.

THE DUCK.

Old October 19th, 2008, 5:32 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

I volunteer in an Op Shop and it's amazing how many books in almost perfect condition that we get in. We get a lot of unusual books too. My collection has grown significantly

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old October 19th, 2008, 3:36 pm
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Druid View Post
I volunteer in an Op Shop and it's amazing how many books in almost perfect condition that we get in. We get a lot of unusual books too. My collection has grown significantly
I have only one thing to say..

! Bet you have a great time- do you get a discount too? I would love to work in a bookstore!!!!

THE DUCK.

Old October 19th, 2008, 4:15 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'd never lend my HP books out (I wouldn't let my sister take any from GoF upwards out of the house ). But I make sure I get them back - I keep badgering whoever I've lent a book to, under the guise of politely enquiring whether they're enjoying it . My cousin's the worst offender, though. He lives up in Southampton so we don't see him that often and my books inevitably end up under his bed. But I make sure I get them back. I'm currently waiting for the return of two of my Conn Iggulden books so that I can re-read them before embarking on the third. He can keep Lord of the Flies, though. Horrible book.

"Six years ter the day since we met, Harry, d'yeh remember it?"
"Vaguely...didn't you smash down the front door, give Dudley a pig's tail and tell me I was a wizard?"
"I forge' the details."

Old October 19th, 2008, 5:04 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFinch View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'd never lend my HP books out (I wouldn't let my sister take any from GoF upwards out of the house ).
My sister wanted to take my GoF to school, and I said "Noooo!!! Never - ever - take - my - precious - book - to - the - school!!" And she answered "Why not? I'll keep it in my bag" like she didn't understand how easy someone could kick it, tramp on it, steal it or ruin it at school! I tried to explain but she seemed not to get it. Then she wanted to take OotP, my best kept HP book to school, but I talked to her about it (in a not too kind way, I'm afraid I must admit), and now I think she has finally understood it. She knows if I say I wont let her borro it, then I man it. Don't mess with me and my books!

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

—Neil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old October 19th, 2008, 7:57 pm
Second Year

I usually get my books from Waterstones or Borders.. if they're difficult to find i get them on Play.com or Amazon

Old October 19th, 2008, 8:22 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I used to buy books at the grocery store or Target (better selection than Wal-Mart), but most of what I read nowadays is not that popular (Christian Fiction) so it's hard to find it at those stores. It is definitely cheaper to buy books at these stores, though!

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old October 19th, 2008, 8:30 pm
Gwen's Auntie

Every once in a long while, libraries purge a lot of their old, worn out books. You can buy them for about $1 each, tops. The tricky part is finding out when the libraries plan to do that. They never seem to want to tell me.

Leave people better than you found them.”
― Marvin J. Ashton
Old October 19th, 2008, 9:38 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning_Star View Post
My sister wanted to take my GoF to school, and I said "Noooo!!! Never - ever - take - my - precious - book - to - the - school!!" And she answered "Why not? I'll keep it in my bag" like she didn't understand how easy someone could kick it, tramp on it, steal it or ruin it at school! I tried to explain but she seemed not to get it. Then she wanted to take OotP, my best kept HP book to school, but I talked to her about it (in a not too kind way, I'm afraid I must admit), and now I think she has finally understood it. She knows if I say I wont let her borro it, then I man it. Don't mess with me and my books!
I am the same way. When Harry Potter started getting really big after the release of the Sorcerer's Stone movie, my cousin wanted to burrow them. I was a little concerned, so I made a contract that she had to sign to make sure she took care of my books. It actually worked, I don't think she wanted to buy me another three copies to cover the one she hadn't returned....

Old October 19th, 2008, 9:43 pm
Secret Keeper

It's official, I want to work in a bookshop , just for the discount on books . Before DH, my mom would buy me HP books at a department store, $15 opposed to the $20-30 in a bookstore....

My Deviantart Account

Old October 20th, 2008, 12:59 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_attack View Post
Every once in a long while, libraries purge a lot of their old, worn out books. You can buy them for about $1 each, tops. The tricky part is finding out when the libraries plan to do that. They never seem to want to tell me.
We get those in our Op Shop as well

*feels very lucky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck
Bet you have a great time- do you get a discount too?
Well, it's a charity so we're not really meant to get a discount but unless it's something really top notch we often do.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Last edited by Mad_Druid; October 20th, 2008 at 1:02 am.
Old October 20th, 2008, 2:39 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
It's official, I want to work in a bookshop , just for the discount on books . Before DH, my mom would buy me HP books at a department store, $15 opposed to the $20-30 in a bookstore....
I want to work in a bookstore too! But not for the discount.....

Old October 20th, 2008, 3:58 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

I would love to own a bookstore! It is one of my most-replayed fantasies.

If I'm going to read a book, I typically buy it. I usually get my books from Amazon because it's just more convenient. But occasionally I'll go into Borders and spend a ridiculous amount of money on a pile of books. Sometimes I get them from Target or Cost-co, too, but not as often.

The thing is, I keep buying books, and my list of want-to-reads keeps growing, but I don't seem to have any time to read during the school year (at least not anything I want to read). This past summer I just tore through books--I took special joy in seeing my Shelfari shelf grow so quickly!

And like others have said, I absolutely hate lending my books to anyone. I am very particular about the condition of my books, and I've gotten so many returned to me completely falling apart.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction