Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

How you get your books...

Old September 22nd, 2008, 1:18 am
do you want fries with that?

Re: How you get your books...

I got a lot of my books through book orders in elementary school also. I had pretty much the entire Goosebumps book collection because of those.

Also, we had this program called Accelarated Reading or AR and we would get points for reading and taking computer tests over the books. One year we were allowed to spend these AR points at the book fair, and I had over 600 points, so over $60 to spend, I was in heaven!!!

The Next Mesut ÷zil

(Although we must ignore the jersey)

Last edited by gipro2003; September 23rd, 2008 at 12:50 am.
Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2008, 1:31 am
Second Year

First I go to the library and read it.

Then, if I like it, I buy it from Amazon. xD

And I prefer paperback to hardback xD But if it is hardback, then I live with it. xD

When you 'bless my cotton socks,' please don't bless my cotton socks.

I wear Gold - Plated, diamond encrusted ones!

So indeed, it should be....'Bless your gold - plated, diamond encrusted socks'.

Toodles.

Proud member of GSWIA! (Guys Sound Wow with an Irish Accent!)

Last edited by fattoad; September 22nd, 2008 at 1:34 am.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 12:12 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
When we were leaving primary school, new books were ordered and so we were allowed to take three books each of the old ones. That's how I discovered his Dark Materials!
..I found some of my aunt's dark materials too

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old September 22nd, 2008, 6:07 pm
Second Year

vampiric, what be this irish company, i live in ireland, well... slightly across the border than the real ireland, but thats a different topic altogether,... anyway yeah, good deals are allways good to get on books cause im thinking of expanding my hemingway collection, so far ive only got 2 altough ive read all of them, i want a copy to call my own

Also the awsomeness of Hermione3000 and her stories Stillness of the Night
and
The Choices one Makes
Old September 22nd, 2008, 8:03 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipro2003 View Post
I got a lot of my books through book orders in elementary school also. I had pretty much the entire Goosebumps book collection because of those.

Also, we had this program called Accelarated Reading or AR and we would get points for reading and taking computer tests over the books. One year we were allowed to spend these AR points at the book far, and I had over 600 points, so over $60 to spend, I was in heaven!!!
WHAT?!?!?!? I wish we had that too . Free books....ok, well, worked for but still, my parents don't count my money that i worked for mine for some reason. I call it slave labor

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old September 22nd, 2008, 9:40 pm
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi_Potter View Post
vampiric, what be this irish company, i live in ireland, well... slightly across the border than the real ireland, but thats a different topic altogether,... anyway yeah, good deals are allways good to get on books cause im thinking of expanding my hemingway collection, so far ive only got 2 altough ive read all of them, i want a copy to call my own
It's called the Book People. Well worth a look, just type it into google. I'd imagine they deliver across the border, Belfast is pretty close and pretty central in that area. I can't see them not delivering there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipro2003 View Post

Also, we had this program called Accelarated Reading or AR and we would get points for reading and taking computer tests over the books. One year we were allowed to spend these AR points at the book far, and I had over 600 points, so over $60 to spend, I was in heaven!!!
Ah, that sounds brilliant! I'd love that! Nothing of that sort happened where I was, I suppose the book fair and the amount of books we otherwise had were great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattoad View Post
First I go to the library and read it.

Then, if I like it, I buy it from Amazon. xD

And I prefer paperback to hardback xD But if it is hardback, then I live with it. xD
Do you think the delivery charges with Amazon are a lot? I always think they are, and it drives me nuts because otherwise it's a great site. Though I suppose, living in the US, if you are, the delivery is probably less.

THE DUCK.

Old September 22nd, 2008, 11:21 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Do you think the delivery charges with Amazon are a lot? I always think they are, and it drives me nuts because otherwise it's a great site. Though I suppose, living in the US, if you are, the delivery is probably less.

Well is a book is worth it, then I get it haha. I don't like going to bookshops. xD
Nope I live in the U.K.

Also, you can get the 2nd hand ones, but they're new, if that makes sense. So they come cheaper & the ones i've got a few like that are in really good condition.

When you 'bless my cotton socks,' please don't bless my cotton socks.

I wear Gold - Plated, diamond encrusted ones!

So indeed, it should be....'Bless your gold - plated, diamond encrusted socks'.

Toodles.

Proud member of GSWIA! (Guys Sound Wow with an Irish Accent!)
Old September 24th, 2008, 7:03 pm
Second Year

well i put operation "what the dickens" in to effect today, because i no longer go to secondary school and no longer have access to the albeit stupid school library, i needed a knew way to enforce my hate on the librarian, and so i recruited my cousin to get out a few dickens books, great expectations and nicholas nickleby, to be exact and to unfortunatley forget to return them. you all think im bad, and corruptive but i really dislike this guy, and if i didnt rescue those books they propably would have been weeded out. incase you dont know weeding out is the process of throwing out books that havent been checked out in atleast 5 years, great expectations was last got out in 1999 it was only a matter of time before it was lost, and you may think why would anyone throw out classics such as dickens and what not, i have no idea, its so strange that it happens, and yet it does, so dont judge me

i also bought a copy of oliver twist recently, for £5 which is really cheap, and it was a brand new copy, i was in heaven

Also the awsomeness of Hermione3000 and her stories Stillness of the Night
and
The Choices one Makes
Old September 24th, 2008, 8:08 pm
Fifth Year

I always get books from the library, even if I've read the book before. Only if I have read and loved a book, would I consider buying it if I spotted it in a bookstore. I believe, in my opinion, it's too risky to buy a book you've never, ever read before. I know I'd be really annoyed if I purchased a good-looking book I've never read before, but it turns out I didn't like it.

Then let my heart be hardened,
And never mind how high the cost may grow,
This will still be so:
I WILL NEVER LET YOUR PEOPLE GO.

Old September 24th, 2008, 10:00 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattoad View Post
Well is a book is worth it, then I get it haha. I don't like going to bookshops. xD
Nope I live in the U.K.

Also, you can get the 2nd hand ones, but they're new, if that makes sense. So they come cheaper & the ones i've got a few like that are in really good condition.
I have a friend who would probably never think of the idea of doing that . I think she has some sort of book OCD, because once when we went to buy HBP (not the midnight release), she went through this enormous pile of books to find one that was perfect in every way, because some of the books had stains or ink blotches or slightly bent pages or whatever.

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old September 24th, 2008, 10:49 pm
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
I have a friend who would probably never think of the idea of doing that . I think she has some sort of book OCD, because once when we went to buy HBP (not the midnight release), she went through this enormous pile of books to find one that was perfect in every way, because some of the books had stains or ink blotches or slightly bent pages or whatever.
...I'm like that. I can't take the idea that I'm meant to fork out so much for a book and then mistreat it, so I buy it as perfect as I can. But I don't hold te same standards for second hands or, admittedly, flimsy paperbacks. As in, my copy of Wuthering Heights is practically dead at this stage, but my hardback versions of His Dark Materials are perfect.

Also, has anyone here ever bought different editions of the same books?
I'm guilty of that. Money wasting, I think they call it...

THE DUCK.

Old September 24th, 2008, 10:56 pm
Secret Keeper

I think I should buy Eragon again, I bought a paperback, the cheapest version, because i couldn't get it from the library and I was afraid I wouldn't like it, but now, i love it and it's falling apart on me

My Deviantart Account

Old September 24th, 2008, 11:14 pm
Second Year

Most of the books I read are from the library that includes HP..I didn't get into HP until after HBP was already published. The only exception was when I tried to get New Moon at the library and ended up being 240 on the list so I ordered the rest of the books in the series

Old September 25th, 2008, 12:51 am
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Quote:
Now that makes sense!

Today I came across a whole new one. Instead of the library, buying books or, as has been mentioned, stealing them (- I still disapprove), my friend tells me that she goes through her parents old books to see if she can find some decent ones. It's a really good idea if your parents were readers, back in the day!
I wish my parents were readers back in the day. My mom has really only gotten into reading now and the only books my dad has are on managering (boring!) I'm the one brining most of the books into the house.

Quote:
I can't do that....my parents are chinese and I hate reading chinese stuff

But that reminds me of something else, if you're still at school, lots of English teachers have personal libraries and my old sixth grade teacher gave all her books away when she retired
I accidentally got some books that way. I didn't mean to! I just forgot to turn them in and then the year was over. Honest!

Quote:
When we were leaving primary school, new books were ordered and so we were allowed to take three books each of the old ones. That's how I discovered his Dark Materials! So I am forever grateful for that chance and opportunity. I don't think that every school does it though.

I do remember too, in primary school, that we had a lending system and we took a book, read it, gave it back, took another, as often as we liked. I think that's why a lot of people I went to primary school with are still interested in reading a lot of the time. It's a great thing to do, I figure. Better than a library, because it's in school, and we were given time to read them in school- you could even take them outside during lunch if you wanted. I loved it!

Funny how it's only now I'm remembering how I used to get books ages ago.. Incidentally, my secondary school had no library at all at all. Total loss.
I remember one year we had a thing in our class we had a lending library where we brought in our books to share. I lost a book that way, but I'm not upset because I didn't like the book to begin with.

Quote:
no library?!?! Oh yeah, I thought of another way. My elementary and middle school used to have book fairs and you could buy books throughthat. There was also a book order form thing too, where you looked through a packet of books that you can buy
I loved book fairs and book orders at school! I spent so much money on that stuff.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old September 25th, 2008, 1:56 am
Secret Keeper

At our school, if you borrowed school stuff, including teachers' and didn't return it or compensate, it meant you couldn't get your report card and continue onto the next grade, and well, no one dared to do that

My Deviantart Account

Old September 25th, 2008, 2:14 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Also, has anyone here ever bought different editions of the same books?
Well, except that I have all the Harry Potter books, Lord of the Rings, and two books by Jonathan Stroud both in English and in Norwegian, I've only ever bought two different editions of the same book once. It was Northen Lights, because when I bought the whole trilogy the first movie was going in the cinema, so it was named The Golden Compass and had a picture from the movie on the cover. I couldn't stand not having all the three books, and one of them was very different from the others (it is larger, and nr. two and three is mostly black (except from the picture), while this book is very blue, The Golden Compass is not the original name, and so on), so, when I found an edition that was published at the same time as the two last book, I bought it. Of course that is money wasting for most people, but not for me!
But if mum or dad find it out, they will probably freak out our something... But it is my money I have wasted, shouldn't bother them so much.

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

óNeil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old September 25th, 2008, 3:09 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
...Also, has anyone here ever bought different editions of the same books?
I'm so guilty of that I ought to be punished
I have 3 copies of Pride and prejudice..one because I liked the book cover, the other because it had a few essays and analysis about P&P and the third was a gift

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old September 28th, 2008, 8:36 pm
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning_Star View Post
Well, except that I have all the Harry Potter books, Lord of the Rings, and two books by Jonathan Stroud both in English and in Norwegian, I've only ever bought two different editions of the same book once. It was Northen Lights, because when I bought the whole trilogy the first movie was going in the cinema, so it was named The Golden Compass and had a picture from the movie on the cover. I couldn't stand not having all the three books, and one of them was very different from the others (it is larger, and nr. two and three is mostly black (except from the picture), while this book is very blue, The Golden Compass is not the original name, and so on), so, when I found an edition that was published at the same time as the two last book, I bought it. Of course that is money wasting for most people, but not for me!
But if mum or dad find it out, they will probably freak out our something... But it is my money I have wasted, shouldn't bother them so much.
At this stage my mother just looks at me and sighs!

I think it's because she's realised that it's not such a waste. My college books this year cost me Ä1000, so I think she now sees the difference between that and the Ä16 a book might cost!!

THE DUCK.

Old September 28th, 2008, 9:21 pm
Fourth Year

Usually I get books from the library, read them and then often times decide to buy them. However if it is a series I will, for the most part, buy the whole series at once. My library never has all the books in a series Plus I live right buy this secondhand book shop and most of the books are under $10 which is awesome, plus I can always find ones that have been adaquately broken in

I buy from Amazon when I can't find the books anywhere else, and usually the shipping isn't so bad for me, but I live in the States

Old October 16th, 2008, 6:58 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

I usually always buy my books. I despise the library. I don't like reading books that have been read before me. I love getting them new, with that new book smell. I have to keep them in mint condition of course. And I don't like giving books back! Stupid library, you can't have your book back!

Besides, I'm trying to create my own library, I just love books!

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction