Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

How you get your books...

Old September 19th, 2008, 12:56 am
Qvack...

Re: How you get your books...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
I did, but she wouldn't let me buy another hardcover, so i got stuck with the stupid paperback
Ugh! Frightful! () , I like paperbacks though. It's harder to destroy them!

But in terms of Harry Potter, no way with the paperbacks...

THE DUCK.

Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2008, 2:04 am
Secret Keeper

really? I can't handle paperbacks, it drives me crazy when I even have one crease on the spine, which is really really hard to prevent . And yes, I have book OCD

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old September 19th, 2008, 3:45 am
do you want fries with that?

I hate having creases or bent covers on paperbacks, but I hate bookjackets on hardcovers. I always take them off, so I can read the book easier and end up loosing them.

The Next Mesut Özil

(Although we must ignore the jersey)
Old September 19th, 2008, 4:14 am
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipro2003 View Post
I hate having creases or bent covers on paperbacks, but I hate bookjackets on hardcovers. I always take them off, so I can read the book easier and end up loosing them.
Ah, the book jacket. *sigh*. I just... I never lose them, admittedly, but it makes it so inconvenient for reading. So I take it off and replace it when I'm done. Especially the one that was on Order of the Phoenix. Nightmare of a book jacket, absolute nightmare.

having said that, I often find on loaning some other hardbacks out, that those jackets come back damaged as opposed to the book itself. So its something to appreciate in the same moment.

But they're just annoying, quite frankly.

THE DUCK.

Old September 19th, 2008, 1:08 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
I did, but she wouldn't let me buy another hardcover, so i got stuck with the stupid paperback
Hard cover is much better especially with books I read so much ofcourse like Harry Potter.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old September 19th, 2008, 3:23 pm
Fourth Year

I like to by my books in the Book Shop, I want to have a HUGE library when I settle down
But I don't have to much money, because I spend them all on books. I can't walk past a Book Shop without going in and look at all the English books there - I'm not so fond of reading Norwegian if the book is originally written in English, which most of the books I like to read is.

If I don't have enough money (as I never have, except after my Birthday celebrations), or the book I am looking for is not in the Shop, or my parents don't allow me to buy it on Internet, then I go to the library. They don't have many English books, and the ones I like is not the most popular books, so I don't have to wait for them. And if the Library don't have the book, I just get them to order it and when it arrives they send me a letter, and I'll be the first one who gets to borrow it! This year the library has ordered at least six books because of me...

I don't borrow books from friends, because they almost don't read books at all, because they're not so fond of reading (just HOW is that possible? ), and the books they read is terribly written teenage love stories which I find infinitely boring...
And I almost NEVER lend my books to my friends. They don't love books like I do, so they don't understand what it means to be careful with a books. I once borrowed Lord of the Rings to one of my best friends, I got it back at least three months later without a spine... And she hadn't even opened it!

Last edited by Morning_Star; September 19th, 2008 at 3:25 pm.
Old September 19th, 2008, 3:37 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi_Potter View Post
a person working in a book store didnt know what pride and prejudice was? shock horror, i would never go back there, stupid people, ahhh!!! all they want is the money at the end of the month
Yeah..I havent stepped into that place since...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
I do that.. The people in my bookstore are like "Oh, her again.. get out the cheap stuff she can buy when she's done loitering..."
hehe..I know that feeling perfectly well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
Doesnt know Pride and Prejudice?! My 6 years old brother does
Exactly my point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning_Star View Post
I want to have a HUGE library when I settle down
Thats exactly what I say when people ask me about future plans..

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old September 19th, 2008, 9:37 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning_Star View Post
I can't walk past a Book Shop without going in and look at all the English books there -
I'm the same I love reading and buying books so much that my mother says if I get wounded I'll bleed ink

Quote:
And I almost NEVER lend my books to my friends. They don't love books like I do, so they don't understand what it means to be careful with a book.
A very perfect and wise decision.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old September 19th, 2008, 9:41 pm
Secret Keeper

I don't mind hardcover that much, but I usually only have to buy hardcovers for longer books. I bought Eragon in paperback (I keep wanting to write "soft cover" ) because I couldn't get it from the library and I was afraid I wouldn't like it so I decided not to buy the hardcover, but now, I love it and the paperback is falling apart on me . i don't like having creases and stuff, but for under 500 pages books, paperback is ok, even with all the creases. The problem with creases is that if you read them too much, the pages literally start to fall out and you have to be really really careful. It's also why I never lend out books.

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old September 20th, 2008, 10:50 pm
Second Year

i love paperbacks, they are so easy to just fold up and fit in your back pocket, yeah they get creases but it shows the signs of a well loved book, i think its weird when people have a paperback in perfect condition.

But on a better note, i found a new relativley obscure bookstore!! yay, and the prices were pretty decent not ridiculously overpriced cover costs, but decent humanly available prices, i love this place and i dont even know its name yet

Also the awsomeness of Hermione3000 and her stories Stillness of the Night
and
The Choices one Makes
Old September 20th, 2008, 10:52 pm
Secret Keeper

i have a purse that's pretty small, but somehow i can still fit moderately sized books in it. , but only paperbacks. I don't know how i keep some of my paperbacks in perfect condition, but I know that it would be impossible if I lent them to my friends.

I did it once, i ended up with a crease in it...but at least i got something in return for it .

My Deviantart Account

Old September 21st, 2008, 12:04 am
Qvack...

Quote:
i have a purse that's pretty small, but somehow i can still fit moderately sized books in it. , but only paperbacks. I don't know how i keep some of my paperbacks in perfect condition, but I know that it would be impossible if I lent them to my friends.

I did it once, i ended up with a crease in it...but at least i got something in return for it .
Hang on. You mean to tell me that you can fold a paperback book into a "moderately" sized purse?

How moderately? Describe in detail, because I need that info. The worlds most boring moments, and I'm always without a book (which I have normally left in the bathroom, to my disdain, even though I never read in there...)

THE DUCK.

Old September 21st, 2008, 12:30 am
Secret Keeper

My purse when it's flat is around 5-7 inches across and 7-9 inches long. i'm not sure, i don't have it with me because the strap broke, but yeah. It's the kind that hangs diagonally on you.

My Deviantart Account

Old September 21st, 2008, 3:11 am
Qvack...

Quote:
My purse when it's flat is around 5-7 inches across and 7-9 inches long. i'm not sure, i don't have it with me because the strap broke, but yeah. It's the kind that hangs diagonally on you.
Now that makes sense!

Today I came across a whole new one. Instead of the library, buying books or, as has been mentioned, stealing them (- I still disapprove), my friend tells me that she goes through her parents old books to see if she can find some decent ones. It's a really good idea if your parents were readers, back in the day!

THE DUCK.

Old September 21st, 2008, 9:01 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
my friend tells me that she goes through her parents old books to see if she can find some decent ones. It's a really good idea if your parents were readers, back in the day!
That is a good idea, which I follow.I've exhausted reading all of the books they had..

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old September 21st, 2008, 4:25 pm
Secret Keeper

I can't do that....my parents are chinese and I hate reading chinese stuff

But that reminds me of something else, if you're still at school, lots of English teachers have personal libraries and my old sixth grade teacher gave all her books away when she retired

My Deviantart Account

Old September 21st, 2008, 4:45 pm
Qvack...

Quote:
I can't do that....my parents are chinese and I hate reading chinese stuff

But that reminds me of something else, if you're still at school, lots of English teachers have personal libraries and my old sixth grade teacher gave all her books away when she retired
When we were leaving primary school, new books were ordered and so we were allowed to take three books each of the old ones. That's how I discovered his Dark Materials! So I am forever grateful for that chance and opportunity. I don't think that every school does it though.

I do remember too, in primary school, that we had a lending system and we took a book, read it, gave it back, took another, as often as we liked. I think that's why a lot of people I went to primary school with are still interested in reading a lot of the time. It's a great thing to do, I figure. Better than a library, because it's in school, and we were given time to read them in school- you could even take them outside during lunch if you wanted. I loved it!

Funny how it's only now I'm remembering how I used to get books ages ago.. Incidentally, my secondary school had no library at all at all. Total loss.

THE DUCK.

Old September 21st, 2008, 7:41 pm
Second Year

wow, no library, thats worse than having a library with a stupid librarian, i think my reasons of stealing books from the library were justified, doesnt know who hemmingway is, the sacralige of it all,
but yeah parents books is a good idea, get alot of patterson books of my dad, but my mum mostly reads soppy romace novels

Also the awsomeness of Hermione3000 and her stories Stillness of the Night
and
The Choices one Makes
Old September 22nd, 2008, 12:33 am
Secret Keeper

no library?!?! Oh yeah, I thought of another way. My elementary and middle school used to have book fairs and you could buy books throughthat. There was also a book order form thing too, where you looked through a packet of books that you can buy

My Deviantart Account

Old September 22nd, 2008, 1:12 am
Qvack...

Quote:
no library?!?! Oh yeah, I thought of another way. My elementary and middle school used to have book fairs and you could buy books throughthat. There was also a book order form thing too, where you looked through a packet of books that you can buy
That's a good one too, my primary school had that! Hang on, my primary school had loads of stuff that I never gave it credit for..

One of my personal favourites of the moment is buying books online. Sometimes you get great deals, and as long as you can wait a few days for delivery, it's all good. I usually save loads and there's a great Irish company that seals all the books to the bottom of a cardboard box and then tapes it closed- the books never get damaged, and that is a totally free service. I got every Ian Fleming Bond novel (all 14!) in a box set from them for €29. Best deal ever!

THE DUCK.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction