Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

How you get your books...

Old September 13th, 2008, 12:39 pm
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Re: How you get your books...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
I usually buy my books online, and sometimes from the library. As for lending or swapping books with my dear friends, they always give them back months later without finishing them, and what makes me really angry is that they never give them back in one part
They pull your books apart?

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2008, 3:03 pm
I want to believe

Usually I buy them online or in a bookstore if they're books that I am likely to revisit (or if the books are favorites of mine). Otherwise, I get them from the library if I don't think I'll ever read them again. Sometimes other members of my family own certain books/series that I like enough to read, but not enough to buy my own copies of, so I will occasionally borrow from them.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 16th, 2008, 2:35 am
Registered Animagus

I, too, gave up on the library. I've gotten dunned too often for books I never took out or books that I returned. Now I go to the library to browse the books they are selling. I've picked up some good bargains and discovered some great new series that way.

One of my local $ stores also sells used books. Then there's Goodwill and Salvation Army. I hardly ever buy a new book and never a new hardback, except for Harry Potter.

Now, I've purchased a Kindle from Amazon. They were offering it at $100 off and I couldn't resist. There is such a wealth of e-books out there, and a lot of them are free or under a dollar. I got the complete Sherlock Holmes for 80 cents.

You can go to Amazon and vote for books to be sold on Kindle. I voted for all the HP books. The votes are sent to the publisher and hopefully, they'll listen.

I love my Kindle and I wish I never had to lift another 800 page hardback again.

Old September 16th, 2008, 3:38 am
Banned

I mostly check out books from the library, but sometimes I'll go to Target or Borders and buy them. I perfer the library though that way I'm not spending like $15 on a book.

Old September 16th, 2008, 10:46 am
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl View Post
I mostly check out books from the library, but sometimes I'll go to Target or Borders and buy them. I perfer the library though that way I'm not spending like $15 on a book.
Of course, that's the other thing. A book costs more than the television these days...

THE DUCK.

Old September 16th, 2008, 6:30 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Libraries are my haven, with books costing too much. Unless I really love the book and want a copy as my own..I dont buy it. But I do make it a point to buy all of Jane Austen's books, they're like sort of my confidantes lol..and of course HP Books..

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old September 17th, 2008, 5:53 pm
Second Year

I usualy buy my books or if im a bit strapped for cash, i shall get a book from the school library and then forget to return it, then go up to the library, attempt to get another book out, they ask for the old book, simply state that you returned it and they believe you, stupid library, got me such classics as farwell to arms, and to kill a mockingbird

Also the awsomeness of Hermione3000 and her stories Stillness of the Night
and
The Choices one Makes
Old September 17th, 2008, 8:15 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I read my books at the bookstore and wait for the clerk to tell me this is not a library.

No, honestly, I do buy my books at bookstores. Most of what I like to read (Christian Fiction) isn't at the library (my favorite authors mostly), so if I want to read it I have to buy it. My aunt and I share books sometimes, but she reads a lot more nonfiction than I do, so it doesn't happen that often.

Books cost a lot of money, so what I do is wait for my birthday and Christmas and just ask for a load of books.

I do visit the library, but I don't go that often. I used the library a lot in college so I didn't have to buy all the books I had to read for my major (English).

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.

Last edited by leah49; September 17th, 2008 at 8:17 pm.
Old September 17th, 2008, 9:55 pm
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi_Potter View Post
I usualy buy my books or if im a bit strapped for cash, i shall get a book from the school library and then forget to return it, then go up to the library, attempt to get another book out, they ask for the old book, simply state that you returned it and they believe you, stupid library, got me such classics as farwell to arms, and to kill a mockingbird
You nick books from your school library?...Dude...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
I do visit the library, but I don't go that often. I used the library a lot in college so I didn't have to buy all the books I had to read for my major (English).
As for that, I empathise. Three books for my course cost upwards of €100... And that's three books for one class out of six on my course... Who do they think I am, Bill Gates? I can't afford that!

THE DUCK.

Old September 17th, 2008, 10:26 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
I usually buy my books online, and sometimes from the library. As for lending or swapping books with my dear friends, they always give them back months later without finishing them, and what makes me really angry is that they never give them back in one part
that's so sad!!! It's really pathetic how horribly people treat theirs and others' possessions...

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old September 18th, 2008, 12:02 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Druid View Post
They pull your books apart?
That one was Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince it was about two weeks before I started talking to my friend again.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old September 18th, 2008, 5:13 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
You nick books from your school library?...Dude...
Yes, i thought it was only fair, most people in my school wouldnt know a classic if they got lost in a classic section, normally the only books that any of them, have read are harry potter, and nothing wrong with harry potter, but they are just jumping on the potter band wagon. so they arent going to need books by dickens(is that the right spelling, it looks wrong to me)

and most important the librarian did not know who ernest hemmingway was, so i made it my duty to make him my arch enemy

and
The Choices one Makes
Old September 18th, 2008, 5:46 pm
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi_Potter View Post
Yes, i thought it was only fair, most people in my school wouldnt know a classic if they got lost in a classic section, normally the only books that any of them, have read are harry potter, and nothing wrong with harry potter, but they are just jumping on the potter band wagon. so they arent going to need books by dickens(is that the right spelling, it looks wrong to me)

and most important the librarian did not know who ernest hemmingway was, so i made it my duty to make him my arch enemy
Ha!

imagine not knowing about Hemingway, when working as a librarian. I hate to sound like a total snob, but seriously... As for Dickens, yes, that's correct.

And bellatrix93, no! Not half Blood Prince! Sacrilege!!

If one of my friends ruins a book of mine (and I never lend out first editions), they buy me a new one, or one in my favourite second hand store, where the books are in really good condition. It's cheap, and it means everyone is kept happy!

THE DUCK.

Old September 18th, 2008, 5:48 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
I read my books at the bookstore and wait for the clerk to tell me this is not a library.
Me too Except..some of the clerks in the bookstore I frequent are pretty nice and kinda used to me. However, I make sure I buy atleast a sheet of paper or a pencil when I go...lol..So that I dont feel guilty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
imagine not knowing about Hemingway, when working as a librarian. I hate to sound like a total snob, but seriously... As for Dickens, yes, that's correct.
Well..I refused to walk into a book store because the clerk there , when I asked him to show me where Pride and Prejudice was..went searching, came back and asked me "Whats the name again? "Pride & Practise?"

That infuriated me ( a staunch Austen devotee!!!)..and I walked out and made it my policy never to visit that place again..because how can someone working in a bookstore not know P&P ???!!!- arguably the greatest classic..I couldnt bear it atleast....

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; September 18th, 2008 at 5:54 pm.
Old September 18th, 2008, 7:47 pm
Second Year

a person working in a book store didnt know what pride and prejudice was? shock horror, i would never go back there, stupid people, ahhh!!! all they want is the money at the end of the month

but yeah stealing books from libraries is very rewarding, unless its a good library

and
The Choices one Makes
Old September 18th, 2008, 9:31 pm
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
Me too Except..some of the clerks in the bookstore I frequent are pretty nice and kinda used to me. However, I make sure I buy atleast a sheet of paper or a pencil when I go...lol..So that I dont feel guilty...
I do that.. The people in my bookstore are like "Oh, her again.. get out the cheap stuff she can buy when she's done loitering..."

Quote:
Well..I refused to walk into a book store because the clerk there , when I asked him to show me where Pride and Prejudice was..went searching, came back and asked me "Whats the name again? "Pride & Practise?"
Terrible. It was like the day I went to pre order Beedle the Bard and the guy said " What? Another one?" even though there were signs all over the shop about it.

Quote:
That infuriated me ( a staunch Austen devotee!!!)..and I walked out and made it my policy never to visit that place again..because how can someone working in a bookstore not know P&P ???!!!- arguably the greatest classic..I couldnt bear it atleast....
Yep. So I got it on Amazon instead, and got a better deal, plus I invested in the Special Edition.. Some things are worth it...

THE DUCK.

Old September 18th, 2008, 9:34 pm
Third Year

I buy them, mostly.
Cuz I like to have my stuff.

Have never read borrowed books, no, I usually never get borrowed stuff.
And I don´t like to borrow my books, people ruins them!. Unless I dont care that much about that book.

Never read at the library, gosh, I need time to read, can´t do that in a library.

Also read ebooks, unfortunately I have to, but is not my favorite way to read.

Old September 18th, 2008, 9:51 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
That one was Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince it was about two weeks before I started talking to my friend again.
At least he/she's just a friend....my mom was the one who tore apart Ootp....and it's kind of hard to ignore your mom....

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old September 18th, 2008, 11:29 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post

Doesnt know Pride and Prejudice?! My 6 years old brother does

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
At least he/she's just a friend....my mom was the one who tore apart Ootp....and it's kind of hard to ignore your mom....
Your mother tore your book? Well, you should ask for a new one.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old September 19th, 2008, 12:26 am
Secret Keeper

I did, but she wouldn't let me buy another hardcover, so i got stuck with the stupid paperback

My Deviantart Account

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction