Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Jodi Picoult

Old July 19th, 2008, 3:57 pm
Registered Animagus

Jodi Picoult

I could have sworn that back in the olden days of CoS we had a Jodi Picoult thread... well, I cant find it now; and with a movie based on My Sister's Keeper coming out next year it's time this thread got active!

So who is a fan of Ms Picoult? I've read most of her books (not the latest one... yet) and loved all of them. My Sister's Keeper is easily my favourite. I've read it around 4 or 5 times and each time it's made me cry. Jodi is a very powerful writer. I wish I was half as talented as she is.

So what are your favourite Picoult novels? Will you see the My Sister's Keeper movie?

(the movie has quite a few big names in it. Cameron Diaz, Alex Baldwin, Joan Cusack, Sofia Vassilieva (the oldest girl from Medium) and as Anna- Abigail Breslin (Olive in Little Miss Sunshine). I personally couldn't think of anybody better than Abigail Breslin for Anna... she'd be perfect. Glad it's her and not Dakota Fanning as originally cast.)

Old July 26th, 2008, 6:09 am
Seventh Year

Re: Jodi Picoult

A friend of mine gave her copy of My Sister's Keeper to read last year and I absolutely loved it. Since then I have also read Keeping Faith and Picture Perfect and I definitely plan to read more of her novels in the future (when I get time!). I know what you mean about her being a powerful writer; she most certainly is. She creates the most lovely characters that you can't help but fall in love with and you can really relate to them. She is very very talented.

I was super excited when I heard a while back that My Sister's Keeper is being made into a film! I can't wait to see it on the big screen. I wasn't happy with the original casting of the Dakota sisters as Kate and Anna either but I am glad that Abigail Breslin got Anna's role in the end - she'll be brilliant. I'm a bit worried about Cameron Diaz as Sarah - I expected her to be much older and to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of Diaz. I really can't imagine her in the serious role like this one. But I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Old July 26th, 2008, 2:34 pm
Registered Animagus

I'm not keen on Diaz either. I've never seen her play a serious role and I also agree that she looks far too young. I imageind Anna's parents as being at least 40.

If you liked My Sister's Keeper I suggest reading The Pact as it has many similar themes and is also very well written

Old July 28th, 2008, 2:13 am
Third Year

Personally, I find Jodi Picoult to be an uneven writer. I have really liked some of her books--Plain Truth, Nineteen Minutes, the one about the little girl with stigmata. I like some of her characters and plots. But I found others to be kind of trite and silly--the one about the teenage girl cult in the small town, for instance. Sorry I can't remember any of the names. Sometimes I think popularity hinders a writer's ability to hone her craft.

But I agree the movie for My Sister's Keeper looks interesting, with interesting casting choices.

Old July 28th, 2008, 6:58 am
Registered Animagus

The stigmata one was Keeping Faith and the one about the cult is Salam Falls. I enjoyed both of them and while they don't represent the majority of American towns I still found them to be some-what realistic and captivating.

Old September 7th, 2008, 11:25 pm
Qvack...

I just saw this further down the line and said I'd respond. I've not read a whole lot of Picoult's books, but the ones I have read, I think they're good, but that they're all the same moral story. "What would you do?" is her moral code for all of them. I'd love a bit more variety. Even the way some of the same characters are re used and re used, which provides consistency, I don't adore, for some reason.

I like the ideas behind her stuff, the research is really good. Nineteen Minutes, my Sister's Keeper, Salem Falls, very good books. But I can't read the rest cos those three were so alike. Know what I mean?

THE DUCK.

Old September 13th, 2008, 8:30 pm
Third Year

My sisters Keeper is my favourite by far! It made me cry! And I love Keeping faith, also 10th circle.

Old October 25th, 2008, 12:09 pm
Zonko's Employee

I really like them, although I can see what vampiriduck means about them being so similar. Second Glance is a bit weird though and I didn't really enjoy it as much as the others. I think My sister's keeper is my favourite (although the end is a bit of a cop out) or possibly 10th circle

Episode 18: Ned is sad to hear CoS is closing

My book blog
Old November 5th, 2008, 4:02 pm
Sixth Year

I love her books too! Why are there so few people posting in this thread? Anyway, I love Nineteen Minutes, it's my favorite, then Keeping Faith, and then My Sister's Keeper. Her writing is just so powerful.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old November 7th, 2008, 3:26 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC2456 View Post
I love her books too! Why are there so few people posting in this thread? Anyway, I love Nineteen Minutes, it's my favorite, then Keeping Faith, and then My Sister's Keeper. Her writing is just so powerful.
It's been so long since I've read Keeping Faith, I can remember that one was good.

Has anyone worked out the quote in the comic bits of Tenth Circle? I started working it out once but then had to do something else and never got round to trying again

My book blog
Old November 7th, 2008, 3:52 pm
Sixth Year

^ Me too! But then, long for me would be about a few months. Keeping Faith was so inspiring to me. It showed how people of various faiths joined together. Not trying to be all religious and stuff, but I think that God looked like a little girl was because it was the girl's concept of God. It's really cool, I think, and sort of Joan of Arcadia.

Gryffindor

Old November 8th, 2008, 3:12 pm
Registered Animagus

I worked out the thing in The Tenth Circle but it was so long ago I've forgotten it. When you typed it into her website it came up with a 'congratulations' page but nothing else Was a big disappointing.

Old November 9th, 2008, 2:52 pm
Qvack...

Spoiler: show
Nothing is easier than self-deceit, for what each man wishes that he also believes to be true - Demosthenes

I liked that. It was a good puzzle- mind you, I almost didn't bother going to work it out at all! ! I was really busy at the time and I was just going to ask anyone else I knew who had read it, but I decided, for the sake of completion, that I might as well work it out.

THE DUCK.

Old November 9th, 2008, 2:59 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
I worked out the thing in The Tenth Circle but it was so long ago I've forgotten it. When you typed it into her website it came up with a 'congratulations' page but nothing else Was a big disappointing.
Really? That is a bit rubbish, I was expecting an interview or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
Nothing is easier than self-deceit, for what each man wishes that he also believes to be true - Demosthenes

I liked that. It was a good puzzle- mind you, I almost didn't bother going to work it out at all! ! I was really busy at the time and I was just going to ask anyone else I knew who had read it, but I decided, for the sake of completion, that I might as well work it out.
Oh no, now I don't know whether to look or not!

My book blog
Old November 11th, 2008, 4:02 pm
First Year

The Tenth Circle is definitly my favorite of all of her books, and yes I have read them all. I haven´t had the time to work out the puzzle though, which is saddening because as I am living in Ecuador for this year as a foreign exchange student I will have to wait until I get back to the States to get my hands on the book again. I just finished reading Keeping Faith again and i really enjoyed that one too. I enjoy the flawed character of Faith´s mother, Mariah, which is just one of the great things about Picoult´s books. Picoult makes her characters into real people and i can´t wait for her next book, Handle with Care.

Old November 12th, 2008, 11:41 pm
Zonko's Employee

Do you think Faith really was seeing God, or just faking the whole time?

My book blog
Old January 3rd, 2009, 4:30 pm
Sixth Year

OK, I have a question about Change of Heart, Jodi's recent book, and I've put spoiler tags. I hope someone can answer my question quickly. (If you read Keeping Faith, you'd probably enjoy Change of Heart. And Ian Fletcher from Keeping Faith makes a cameo)

In the end, was Shay really the 'messiah', and why did Lucius' (not Malfoy! But I gotta say, I was drawn to him because he shared the same name as Lucy Malfoy) AIDS come back in the end?

Gryffindor

Old June 15th, 2009, 4:06 am
First Year

Jodi Picout first came to my attention after I read The Pact, and I loved it. Since then, I've read Nineteen Minutes, The Tenth Circle, Salem Falls, and most of My Sister's Keeper, and I think I like Nineteen Minutes the best, because I ended up feeling really sorry for a convicted felon at the end.

Last edited by harryisboss; June 15th, 2009 at 4:21 am.
Old June 19th, 2009, 3:55 pm
First Year

Jodi Picoult's books really suck me in. They're those books that I just can't put down and, during the school year, am sneaking peaks at during class, because they cause this insatiable thirst in me.

However, some of her characters— mainly the teenage girls— bother me. Nineteen Minutes has definitely been one of my favorite books and it really made me think, but I felt the entire thing was ruined by this Josie character who felt so... unreal to me. I'm sure there are girls like that in the world, but I felt completely unable to connect to her. Perhaps because popularity is such an immature concept and the vast majority of people I come in contact with drop the need to feel "accepted" by those deemed "popular" by the time they reach a certain age (the second year of high school, at the latest).

In The Tenth Circle, again there was this female character who needed to degrade herself for a man in order to feel whole. Both Josie and Trixie lose all common sense over popularity. I have no respect for either of them.

The first time I read a book of Jodi's (My Sister's Keeper), the sudden twist ending completely threw me off, and I loved it. The second time, however, you realize she's almost *too* consistent and you can practically guess what the twist end is going to be. I really thought it seemed over-the-top for Josie to have
shot her boyfriend

Nevertheless, I love her books despite their flaws. They really make you think about life. <3

Old June 19th, 2009, 5:13 pm
Registered Animagus

I only just read Nineteen Minutes a month or so ago but it really affected me. I think it's one of those books anybody who has been bullied should read. I emailed Jodi after I finished it and got a wonderful reply detailing how she felt about bullying etc (which is what my email to her was specifically about).
I thought the characters in NM were wonderfully developed (as all of Jodi's characters are IMO) but
agree with the poster above me that perhaps Josie shooting her boyfriend was unnecessary. I didn't see that coming though did suspect Josie was in on it in some respects

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction