Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Computer & Video Games

Best Game Ever?

Old June 10th, 2008, 7:06 pm
First Year

Best Game Ever?

I have searched and cannot find a thread that is the same of similar to this thread, but i may be wrong so please correct me if i am.
Thanks for viewing this thread

What do you think was the best game ever made?
What is your reason for your choice?
How did you feel when you were playing it?
How did you feel when you completed it?

Wit beyond measure is a mans greatest treasure.
Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2008, 5:26 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Re: Best Game Ever?

I have to say the Legend of Zelda, either the first one or Ocarina of Time.

I would say the first one because it was such a break through game. It didn't led you directly from one thing to another. You could wander around for hours. (which I did all the time).
In all the years that have past since it first came out, I still love it. Zelda will always be my favorite video game series. I just finished it again a few weeks ago. It just feels awesome to play it.

Ocarina because it took Zelda to new level. The graphics for the time were great. The world was so much bigger , with so much to do and explore. I love the Adventures of Link and A Link to the Past, but Ocarina just took everything that was great about Zelda and made it better.
Don't just me wrong, I love all the Zelda games. But those two are complete masterpieces, imo.

Old June 16th, 2008, 9:52 pm
First Year

Half-Life 2

Atmosphere. No game I have ever played has sucked me in as completely as HL2 did. In addition, it was faultless. There is nothing wrong with it. Graphics is excellent. Sound is excellent. Story and gameplay, excellent. Characters, excellent. Everything, excellent. I remember a review which said; "Nothing will ever be the same" and that's true. Half-Life 2 changed gaming. Its nearest competitor was Far Cry and while that was a superb game, Half-Life 2 simply blew it out of the water. Even today, against the likes of Crysis and Bioshock, Half-Life 2 still stands strong against them even though it's some two years older (In my opinion, Episode 2 once again placed it at the forefront of FPS gaming). You simply don't get better.

Awed, really. It's one constant "wow" from beginning to end.

I agreed with every review I had ever read and it jumped to the top of my best game ever list and has never slid down.

Old June 16th, 2008, 10:34 pm
Fifth Year

I believe in a hill called Mount Calvary.
Old June 17th, 2008, 12:07 am
Second Year

I think the Sims 2 is the best game ever made.. even though I class it as completely different to everything else. I love Mariokart too...

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.
Gryffindor, where dwell the brave at heart. Their daring, nerve and chivalry set Gryffindors apart.
Old June 17th, 2008, 3:22 am
Second Year

I wouldn't go as far as claiming my favorite game is the best game ever.

At the risk of sounding extremely cliché, my favorite games are Final Fantasy VII, The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time and Super Mario World. Yeah, really original I know. Can you guess I was born in the early 90's ?

FFVII was my first Final Fantasy (big surprise here too). I loved how you could customize your characters (although I also like when abilities can't be changed, like in FFIX). I also loved the atmosphere of the game, its spirit. I have recently replayed the Junon ceremony part ; what a blast ! It's funny, the main protagonists are a varied bunch of great guys, the secondary characters also add a lot of flavour (like many other fans, I love the Turks). And of course, the complex story was great too.
Ocarina of Time was also my first Zelda. I really can't bring myself to play 2D Zeldas. I just can't. It's just not my Zelda if I can't jump all over the place like an idiot in every single fight. I'd say I "loved the characters", but actually I just had an overactive imagination as a kid and came up with fanon for every single boss. The gameplay was great, dungeons were mind-boggling, lots of small secret areas, sidequests... I loved riding around on Epona, resting on the shore of Lake Hylia and being an awesome ninja with the hookshot in Kakariko. ...yeah, like I said, overactive imagination.
As for Super Mario World, it's just that great. Simple layout, Yoshi, varied levels, tons of secret exits to discover... 2 years ago, my best friend and I fully completed the game, twice, in 2 weeks. We managed to find all the secret exits thanks to my freaky memory. We couldn't get enough of the game. The GBA version is so much better too, omg Luigi. <3

"Remember the part where you weren't talking ? Let's do that again."

À consommer avec modération.
Old June 17th, 2008, 4:22 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rappy28 View Post

Ocarina of Time was also my first Zelda. I really can't bring myself to play 2D Zeldas. I just can't. It's just not my Zelda if I can't jump all over the place like an idiot in every single fight.
Pity. You're missing out on some amazing titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rappy28 View Post
FFVII was my first Final Fantasy (big surprise here too). I loved how you could customize your characters (although I also like when abilities can't be changed, like in FFIX). I also loved the atmosphere of the game, its spirit. I have recently replayed the Junon ceremony part ; what a blast ! It's funny, the main protagonists are a varied bunch of great guys, the secondary characters also add a lot of flavour (like many other fans, I love the Turks). And of course, the complex story was great too.
If you haven't yet, you ought to try FFVI.

I believe in a hill called Mount Calvary.
Old June 17th, 2008, 4:53 am
Third Year

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, my opinion and that of critics. OOT has the best average score by game rating websites of all time.

All opinions in the above post are the personal opinions of HouseStark, unless they are quoted from another source. Any and all views in the above post are purely opinion, unless they can be verified by scientific data or historical record.
Old June 18th, 2008, 8:05 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalguy View Post
If you haven't yet, you ought to try FFVI.
I know this is going to come off as horribly shallow, because it is, but playing a 2D game really doesn't appeal to me (except if it's got cute monsters like Pokémon, cough). I did watch my brother play through most of it though, like many other games I haven't actually played, including FFVIII too.

"Remember the part where you weren't talking ? Let's do that again."

À consommer avec modération.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 4:26 am
Qvack...

Best game ever and favourite game are two different questions, for sure.
Sure I'll give both!! (as usual, vampy can't pick!)

Best ever? Final Fantasy VII. Woah. Now there was a game and a half. As far as I'm concerned, nothing's ever bested it. Though Resident Evil 4 came close.

Favourite? The original Resident Evil. So original. Puzzles were outrageously clever. Characters were awesome. Loved it, start to finish.

Gotta be said, i agree with loads of others mentioned here, Ocarina of Time and Mario Bros 3 in particular. Classy.

I dunno would anybody here remember "Exhumed"? That was brilliant! And on that note, what about Timesplitters? That was excellent too..

Ah, nostalgia... Ah! Link's Awakening on gameboy!

*sniffle*

THE DUCK.

Old August 26th, 2008, 8:37 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
I think Metal Gear Solid 4 is a pretty strong contender.

Quote:
It's just...flawless. An epic experience from start to finish. It highlights everything that makes games a unique and powerful storytelling medium (which is very rare for a game to do). It plays to the medium's strengths...it does things that simply couldn't be accomplished in a movie or even a book. It elevates the video game from flashing lights and button mashing into an art form.

Quote:
In awe, the entire time. Every aspect is masterfully fine-tuned to mesh together as an experience unlike any other. It's better than a movie, better than a book...it's a class of its own.

The story's climax is fantastic. Brilliantly done. It really must be played to be believed. I've never seen anything like it.

Quote:
The credits finished rolling and my "score", as it were, popped up and told me it took me 19 hours to beat it. Over the course of about two days. I was lost for words. What was there to say? I just sat there, chilled to the bone with the controller in my shaking hands, numb with disbelief. There's no other word but "masterpiece." Every game should be more like that one...every game should underline the strengths of this medium and show that games aren't just about shooting mindless pixels. They have the potential to be the most immersive stories ever crafted.

Old August 26th, 2008, 2:45 pm
First Year

The Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time
The Elder Scrolls IV : Oblivion

I cant choose between them.

Old September 24th, 2008, 11:27 am
First Year

starcraft hellll yeeaaah, cant wait for number 2 and the new b.net... also the ff series are awesome, i thought ffX was great.. ff7 had some awesome characters tho.. redXII, cid, vincent.. hell they are all cool

I can has magic too??

http://www.youtube.com/user/HamstormTV - Subscribe and we can be bff's, i'll have some HP related stuff soon!
Old September 24th, 2008, 5:40 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Too many games, in too many genres on too many formats to pick one fave so here's sample.

Frogger and Blazer: Apple IIc. Nothing too flash with green screen but great time wasters.

Arcade adaptations: Atari 2600. Asteroids, Pac Man, Galaxian etc. Almost as good as hanging out at Tommy's but cheaper.

F-117A (Microprose sims generally), SimCity, Links, Command HQ: Great gameplay on a 386.

But the games I kill most time with are the Total War series.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old September 29th, 2008, 9:17 am
Genius Loci

Chuckie Egg. I used to own a BBC Micro years ago when I was in a single digit age. I wouldn't leave the game alone. Awesome. Respect Chuckie Egg or be banned!

Old September 29th, 2008, 9:57 am
First Year

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Awesome in every way, kept me entertained for months on end.

Can't forget Goldeneye (n64), awesome too.

Old September 29th, 2008, 10:49 pm
Third Year

Halo (Series)

It's an awesome series of games, that have sold loads of copies.

I felt great, because it's an awesome series of games to play, and I just love them.

Yet again, awesome.

Old November 24th, 2008, 11:35 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBurrowers View Post
I have searched and cannot find a thread that is the same of similar to this thread, but i may be wrong so please correct me if i am.
Thanks for viewing this thread

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

This game has everything that I like in a game. Puzzles, action, great story, great music, and the graphics at the time, and even now to some extent are really well done.

The feeling I got when I walked out (or ran) onto Hyrule Field with the sun going down was simple amazing. Probably the best moment in my video gaming experience.

I didn't really feel a certain way after completing the game, I just played it again.

Old December 7th, 2008, 2:01 am
Qvack...

Chuckie Egg! Wow, it's been years since I played that!! Thank you for reminding me of it!!

In terms of best game, I think I would go with Resident Evil, the series as a whole, but 4 was exceptional.

I pick it because it branched out from the original stories but still built on them, the graphics were awesome, the weapons much better and on Wii, actually being able to aim was just brilliant. As for the rest of the series, I loved them because they were totally new, required both bloodlust and puzzling skill, introduced us to good storylines that made the characters grow on me, and were entirely merciless in their ingenuity of puzzles in the later days. Can't wait for the new one!

I was in love with it when I played it, every last one of them was brilliant. Sure, the graphics of the older ones are now dilapidated by comparison with new technology, but I recently replayed the first one and it was still as riveting as ever, which to me proves its quality.

I was sad when I finished it because it was just brilliant and I wanted to do more with it. It blew my mind with the ideas and thoughts behind it, it was just excellent in all ways.

THE DUCK.

Old January 5th, 2009, 12:04 pm
Registered Animagus

There are quite a few games I like. My latest one is Super Smash.

At the moment, Super Smash Bros Brawl for the Wii

It's so diverse. There are so many different things you can do inside the game. So much stuff to unlock it never gets boring. Very well made.

I always enjoy it immensely. I love trying out different characters, modes etc. Great to play solo or with people.

Almost completed. I think I'll be disappointed when we finish it because we (my boyfriend and myself) have so much fun playing it.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Computer & Video Games