Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Old February 23rd, 2016, 3:32 am
I want to believe

Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

OH WOW!

What a non-ending! There had better be more episodes or I might implode. I have noticed that they called this the season finale rather than the series finale, or just the finale, so there may be some hope yet. I think I'll have to return later to comment coherently about the episode, but in general, I liked it.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2016, 3:39 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
OH WOW!

What a non-ending! There had better be more episodes or I might implode. I have noticed that they called this the season finale rather than the series finale, or just the finale, so there may be some hope yet. I think I'll have to return later to comment coherently about the episode, but in general, I liked it.
Yep. Non-ending. Well put. I liked the ep ok but it was meh.

Spoiler: show
CSM again... go away you black lunged son of a muggle...

Reyes... was NOT a fan of how her character was here. Seemingly self interested. No thanks Chris, thanks for assassinating her character wise.

Mulder fighting was a bright spot. He kicked some butt.

The ending -- it was decent. But if there's no s11, we're screwed.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 5:00 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
OH WOW!

Yep, I'm hoping for another mini-series season, it's encouraging that Fox leaked the possibility in the last couple days. I actually yelled NOOOO!! at the TV when I realized Chris was ending this without ending it. I need to think about the episode more as well. I do remember one of the episodes in the original series where CSM is saying that either Mulder or his son can live, not both, which might explain why Mulder wasn't protected. I loved that Mulder refuses the chance to sell out and be cured.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old February 24th, 2016, 7:46 pm

A new CC interview...

Source: tvinsider.com

Here's another interview...

Source: ew.com

A quote from it:

Quote:
People spent years looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully together again. Clearly you’re a sociopath, since you kept them apart for almost the entirety of this finale.
[Laughs] I feel like there was a nod to people who want them to be together again in episode 5. And I think that they are forever connected, whether romantically or not.
Trolling fans, really Chris? Grow up. At least for the most part, your actors and your other writers have. And that I can respect.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; February 24th, 2016 at 9:50 pm.
Old March 24th, 2016, 7:36 pm

A really nice interview with Glen Morgan. Love this one !

Source: shoesandstarships.com

Old May 16th, 2016, 9:02 pm

Some new XF news...

A quote from the article:

Quote:
“Everyone is on board to do another installment,” Walden said. “At this time next year we’ll have something exciting on the X-Files front.”

The company line on more X-Files hasn’t changed since the finale aired in late February. Carter previously said Fox asked for more episodes, and while negotiations for the 2016 revival took around five months to complete, he's said it’s only a matter of time before X-Files episodes hit the network.

“We’ve had conversations with all of them that have included discussions on episodic order, some of that will be driven by their schedules,” said Fox co-TV chief Gary Newman. “The network and the studio would love to do more. It shouldn’t be anything you’d anticipate before the 2017/2018 season.”

Old May 25th, 2016, 1:59 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
Some new XF news...

A quote from the article:
Oh my god, this board is still somewhat active!!! Hi Fawkes!!! Was meh on season 10 and disappointed they ONCE again couldn't give us a decent ending, assuming they wouldn't get another season. But I'm super excited for a potential season 11! Crazy how a new XF season was a crazy pipe dream back then!!

Hopefully Chris Carter stays away from writing scripts this time :P

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86

Last edited by magic_is_might; May 25th, 2016 at 2:10 am.
Old May 30th, 2016, 7:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_is_might View Post
Oh my god, this board is still somewhat active!!! Hi Fawkes!!! Was meh on season 10 and disappointed they ONCE again couldn't give us a decent ending, assuming they wouldn't get another season. But I'm super excited for a potential season 11! Crazy how a new XF season was a crazy pipe dream back then!!

Hopefully Chris Carter stays away from writing scripts this time :P
Yep. Hey Magic! I was too, exception being Glen's, Darin's and James's eps. They made it tolerable. It's Chris, what did you expect. He's a putz. I'm not really. I'm ok with it, but since CC's involved I'm very wary. Him and his niacin issues .

They (meaning CC and others) pretty much bashed shippers at times, saying we didn't know what we wanted, that what we wanted isn't what we wanted and more. It just sapped a lot of excitement out of me.

Wish I could feel that way again.

I mean, who was the genius who came up with the whole line of going after shippers this go? It seemed worse than it was back in the day.

Heck when fans first found out about the break up, the social media account for the XF (run by Fox), posted a crying Mulder gif. Ugh.

I'm honestly dreading it. Don't want to go through another experience like we did this time. It was horrible.

But on a happy note: I got to see the gag reel and it's REALLY good. So at least there's that .

On a side note: Something new via Joe Harris.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; May 30th, 2016 at 9:34 pm.
Old June 9th, 2016, 5:27 pm

A new interview.

Source: denofgeek.com

Here's what Frank thought of s10. Two words came to me there: Shots fired! He's truly one of us. Bless him.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; June 9th, 2016 at 7:31 pm.
Old June 10th, 2016, 11:50 am
MODLY CREW

Yeah, so Chris should never be allowed to write another episode because his were the weakest and most contrived. Overall, I did enjoy the return of the X-Files. More please!

Old June 10th, 2016, 6:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
Yeah, so Chris should never be allowed to write another episode because his were the weakest and most contrived. Overall, I did enjoy the return of the X-Files. More please!
Yep. Too bad he still comes out of his cave and from the looks of things will still be around it.

I liked it too, but only the other episodes. At least in those, M & S felt like themselves. I don't know just what in the world they were in CC's at all.

Another interview.

Some bits from it:

Quote:
"I think we made good on the promise of the opportunity to come back, and I feel proud of the work," he said.

"We could have done is come back and done the lazy thing – we could have done sequels [to existing episodes] or a victory lap, but we didn't.

"We came back and did fresh, original material, pushed the boundaries of the show, and I think we showed that The X-Files has a lot more life in it."
--------------------------------------------

Sorry Chris, but I disagree with you there. It was lazy in parts, especially the dialogue. Only the Morgans and Wong did really good work this time. You need to step it up next time. I'm very disappointed by the work you brought to the table.

Some more:

Quote:
As for the promised X-Files season eleven, he said that they were currently trying to find a free space in everyone's schedules.

"There was talk of trying to film them in November, but that said, that would mean I would have to be getting to work right now, and I've not even made the calls," said Carter.

"I'd have to go into very quick action to make that happen, so, until someone gives me a clear idea about when they would actually have open schedules to film episodes, I'm going to continue on my vacation."
---------------------------------

That second sentence said pretty much everything in a nutshell. He doesn't want to write. He hasn't even called people up to see when schedules are open. I don't blame him for wanting to take a break, but at least start sketching some stuff out.

Yet another interview.

Source: indiewire.com

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; June 10th, 2016 at 8:11 pm.
Old June 28th, 2016, 3:56 am

New CC interview. Not much here though.

Source: indiewire.com

Old June 28th, 2016, 4:39 am
Curse Breaker

I got the 3-disk set for season 10 from my library, and watched it over the weekend. I had a different perspective when viewing it after a period of time (versus the anticipation of "the return"). I found myself considering most of the characters in a slightly different way -- oddly enough even Agent Einstein, who rather annoyed me in her debut appearance the first time around. I was probably distracted by the thought in my head of "what on earth are they thinking by putting these two characters in the story?", whereas now I see them as necessary players. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Old June 30th, 2016, 12:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
I got the 3-disk set for season 10 from my library, and watched it over the weekend. I had a different perspective when viewing it after a period of time (versus the anticipation of "the return"). I found myself considering most of the characters in a slightly different way -- oddly enough even Agent Einstein, who rather annoyed me in her debut appearance the first time around. I was probably distracted by the thought in my head of "what on earth are they thinking by putting these two characters in the story?", whereas now I see them as necessary players. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Nope. I still feel the same about it. Haven't viewed it a second time yet, but I still feel like it was a waste of time. CC ruined characters. M and S didn't feel right coming from him this time and Reyes... her turning evil was the biggest ever. It doesn't fit the character at all.

I don't view Einstein or Miller as necessary players. Just as fillers.

The only eps I even consider to be canon are Glen's, Darin's and James's. CC's, I consider to be trash.

Old July 1st, 2016, 5:26 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Nope. I still feel the same about it. Haven't viewed it a second time yet, but I still feel like it was a waste of time. CC ruined characters. M and S didn't feel right coming from him this time and Reyes... her turning evil was the biggest ever. It doesn't fit the character at all.

I don't view Einstein or Miller as necessary players. Just as fillers.

The only eps I even consider to be canon are Glen's, Darin's and James's. CC's, I consider to be trash.
If you only watched it the one time, then how can you tell? For a lot of people the first viewing probably came with a lot of filters of what was expected, rumored, contrary to what might be imagined/hoped for. And the situation between Mulder & Scully's separation is the most realistic outcome for the circumstances. The loss of a child by itself is a huge stress on any relationship, Mulder's depression worsened & he lost his sense of purpose. Scully was the one who made the decision (however well-intentioned) to give up their son so she has constant guilt, and devotes her time to operating on children with deformities, trying to make them whole. There's no way to depict them any other way except separated, to write them otherwise would have been a huge cop-out.

As far as the writing, a lot of things needed to be shown/explained, and at the time they had no idea if there would ever be any episodes after the 6. The story has to progress, and it's also a vastly different story than anyone thought, and I can't see the reboot working if viewers aren't filled in along the way to episode 6, even if some of it's just informational. If I had to pick a favorite I have to admit it's the were-monster, classic X-Files and very funny and clever; that being said, I would not want any of the other episodes (mythology) changed, because that's been the driving force for Mulder for most of his life, it had to be this way.

Last edited by HedwigOwl; July 1st, 2016 at 5:28 am.
Old July 1st, 2016, 10:21 pm

Quote:
If you only watched it the one time, then how can you tell? For a lot of people the first viewing probably came with a lot of filters of what was expected, rumored, contrary to what might be imagined/hoped for. And the situation between Mulder & Scully's separation is the most realistic outcome for the circumstances. The loss of a child by itself is a huge stress on any relationship, Mulder's depression worsened & he lost his sense of purpose. Scully was the one who made the decision (however well-intentioned) to give up their son so she has constant guilt, and devotes her time to operating on children with deformities, trying to make them whole. There's no way to depict them any other way except separated, to write them otherwise would have been a huge cop-out.

As far as the writing, a lot of things needed to be shown/explained, and at the time they had no idea if there would ever be any episodes after the 6. The story has to progress, and it's also a vastly different story than anyone thought, and I can't see the reboot working if viewers aren't filled in along the way to episode 6, even if some of it's just informational. If I had to pick a favorite I have to admit it's the were-monster, classic X-Files and very funny and clever; that being said, I would not want any of the other episodes (mythology) changed, because that's been the driving force for Mulder for most of his life, it had to be this way.
Fair point, but to be honest... I'm not giving CC's eps another shot. At all. He blew it as far as I'm concerned. The writing was terrible. I cringed during a lot of it. As for expectations, I didn't go in with too many. Just wanted to see good writing and characterizations. Ended up not seeing that from him. Even Annabeth Gish wondered about how Reyes became evil and thought it didn't make sense for the character to do so in one of the behind the scenes extras for the s10 blu rays/dvds. There's more to it in them as well that just show how splintered things were bts in his eps.

Maybe, but how CC portrayed it via interviews was very trivializing. By saying that he was on the computer in his underwear. Really? What an idiot. Apart from the usual having to fill in almost every single plot hole, it just was a very tiring thing. I've realized it's just not really worth it anymore.

It sucks to get to that point. Where something has just become toxic.

It just feels that way to me now. There's no other way to put it.

They treated fans pretty bad after the break up and said that fans don't know what they want and what they want isn't really what they want. That's not a good environment to be around.

I wish that they would have filled it in better (about the break up) like you have done. At least it would have maybe made it tolerable. But as it is, no. I just ignore it (meaning CC's eps). I don't ignore what Glen, Darin and James have done there. At least they treated the characters and their history with some dignity and respect.

Good point. But the only good writing came from every writer in my opinion, except for Chris. His felt rushed, scattered and just bad. And it sucks, since I liked a lot of his work back in the day, but now... not really, unless he gets help like he did in IWTB. I liked that one too, and it wasn't written by Chris. My fave was Home Again. I recognized the characters again and it felt like an X Files ep. I wish that the break up could have been dealt with more there, since Glen treated M & S with respect and I think he could have done a good job with it.

I disagree on that. For him to be alone is pathetic. To be driven to that? Really? To chase lie after lie? The whole thing is a sham. S1-S9 in regards to the mytharc has been disproven now, at least according to what CC said recently. Even Scully said that she'd be with him when he finds the answers to his questions (iirc) (in Home Again). So to say what you mentioned wouldn't be completely right. It isn't the X Files without the BOTH of them, together as a team.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; July 1st, 2016 at 10:40 pm.
Old July 1st, 2016, 11:49 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:

Good point. But the only good writing came from every writer in my opinion, except for Chris. His felt rushed, scattered and just bad. And it sucks, since I liked a lot of his work back in the day, but now... not really, unless he gets help like he did in IWTB. I liked that one too, and it wasn't written by Chris. My fave was Home Again. I recognized the characters again and it felt like an X Files ep. I wish that the break up could have been dealt with more there, since Glen treated M & S with respect and I think he could have done a good job with it.
Estrangement is always uncomfortable, though, and that's what we see in both of them. The characters seem awkwardly written at the start because that is essentially how they are when we first see them. They don't know how to feel, and I think that's the point. It seems clear from their conversations in "Home Again" that they never discussed William with each other before that point, even though each of them cares and fears for their missing child. And while Mulder seems to have been the one to sink further into depressive mode, I thought Scully was depressed as well. Still there were clear indications that they still love each other although apparently it became to difficult to live in the same house. There's a lot of grief and suffering with too much self-imposed isolation by them both IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1
I disagree on that. For him to be alone is pathetic. To be driven to that? Really? To chase lie after lie? The whole thing is a sham. S1-S9 in regards to the mytharc has been disproven now, at least according to what CC said recently. Even Scully said that she'd be with him when he finds the answers to his questions (iirc) (in Home Again). So to say what you mentioned wouldn't be completely right. It isn't the X Files without the BOTH of them, together as a team.
I disagree that the mytharc has been disproven, despite how CC seemed to frame it. It always seemed a lot of the theories and details could only be partially proven (if at all) throughout the 9 seasons. It's still a huge conspiracy. Humanity is still being devastated through alien gene technology, although the aliens aren't behind it. Instead of controlling world population, they're controlling who gets to live with the rest being killed, all to supposedly save the planet. So really, not so far from where things ended in episode 6.

I don't understand why you think I see Mulder and Scully not together as a team. They just aren't currently living together -- which they weren't for most of the time they've worked together -- but they still appear the same to me otherwise.

Regarding Reyes, I don't understand that either, but she said it made sense to her at the time and apparently she's broken off that relationship with CSM. Hopefully we'll get more background on that in the next series.

Old July 2nd, 2016, 1:05 am

Quote:
Estrangement is always uncomfortable, though, and that's what we see in both of them. The characters seem awkwardly written at the start because that is essentially how they are when we first see them. They don't know how to feel, and I think that's the point. It seems clear from their conversations in "Home Again" that they never discussed William with each other before that point, even though each of them cares and fears for their missing child. And while Mulder seems to have been the one to sink further into depressive mode, I thought Scully was depressed as well. Still there were clear indications that they still love each other although apparently it became to difficult to live in the same house. There's a lot of grief and suffering with too much self-imposed isolation by them both IMO.

I disagree that the mytharc has been disproven, despite how CC seemed to frame it. It always seemed a lot of the theories and details could only be partially proven (if at all) throughout the 9 seasons. It's still a huge conspiracy. Humanity is still being devastated through alien gene technology, although the aliens aren't behind it. Instead of controlling world population, they're controlling who gets to live with the rest being killed, all to supposedly save the planet. So really, not so far from where things ended in episode 6.

I don't understand why you think I see Mulder and Scully not together as a team. They just aren't currently living together -- which they weren't for most of the time they've worked together -- but they still appear the same to me otherwise.

Regarding Reyes, I don't understand that either, but she said it made sense to her at the time and apparently she's broken off that relationship with CSM. Hopefully we'll get more background on that in the next series.
Fair point on that, and it was shown in Founder's Mutation as well that they hadn't talked about it. It was all that we were given on it. I just don't like how it was handled/dealt with in CC's eps. It was just bad. I can't excuse his writing this time.

Yea it's huge and now even more of a mess. It's one reason why I'm not really a fan of it either. It's not worth the headache.

Here's a bit from an interview that shows a bit about said mytharc (from around the time of Two Fathers/One Son).

Quote:
However, nothing beats the commentary by one of the shows regular directors, Kim Manners:

The whole storyline of the Syndicate and the bees and the aliens and the chips in the neck, they all seemed to just accidentally fall into place and create an intriguing, mysterious storyline that eventually got so mysterious and so intriguing that Chris had to blow it up, because he couldn’t deal with it anymore.”[103]
Source: http://www.tvovermind.com/tv-news/th...-a-closer-look

It shows a pattern of CC just blowing plots up once they got out of hand. God bless Kim for that gem/look into things. It said a lot in my opinion.

It seems as if he's kind of doing it again and this time, I'm not even bothering to try to keep up with it.

Because as far as I'm concerned, they're not on the same page. Sure they don't have to be living together, but I'm way tired of the 'will they/won't they' trope and the 'drama/tension' crud. That needs to be gotten out the way sooner rather than later to get back to where the story needs to be at, their son and facing off against this new Syndicate.

Sure it seemed to be 'dealt' with at the end of Babylon, but it was one of the worst reconciliation scenes that I've ever seen. It felt so fake and forced that I squirmed while watching it. Which is ironic, since the actors are getting along really well in real life (they're close friends now, possibly more than that from what I've read lately and just how they seem to be interacting in the bts footage, etc.). The behind the scene bits of that scene seem a lot more realistic.

And then MS II just made things confusing between the two. The ending when Scully was worried about him was completely undermined by her reaction to seeing him again at the end of it. It felt clinical. Like it could have been her reacting to some random person.

That was in a separate interview. Of course she'd say that. She was promoting the season and the show. Why would she say something bad about it at that point?

I hope so too, but I'm not counting on it. Same in regards to M & S's relationship and the mytharc. I don't expect to see jack squat.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; July 2nd, 2016 at 4:35 am.
Old July 3rd, 2016, 12:12 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1
Because as far as I'm concerned, they're not on the same page. Sure they don't have to be living together, but I'm way tired of the 'will they/won't they' trope and the 'drama/tension' crud. That needs to be gotten out the way sooner rather than later to get back to where the story needs to be at, their son and facing off against this new Syndicate.
The way I see it, there is no "will they/won't they" in the new series, and I don't think it matters if they ever resolve the living together thing or not. The relationship is already well established. How their relationship was impacted in the intervening time had to be at least alluded to, and all things considered I think they did a pretty good job.

Old July 3rd, 2016, 5:56 pm

Quote:
The way I see it, there is no "will they/won't they" in the new series, and I don't think it matters if they ever resolve the living together thing or not. The relationship is already well established. How their relationship was impacted in the intervening time had to be at least alluded to, and all things considered I think they did a pretty good job.
Fair enough. It wasn't alluded enough to me. It was hinted at. And given where CC left it, it left me confused and angry. I don't think they did, so we can agree to disagree on that. Glen, Darin and James did a good job for what they had to work with, but CC -- no. It was still a mess to me at the end.

How did you view Founder's Mutation? I liked it ok, but the lack of chemistry/muted chemistry had it feeling like an episode of CSI at times. It was just strange. I'm glad it was moved from the 5th ep to the 2nd one. I can see why Glen wanted it later, but to have it after Babylon would have made me wonder if M & S broke up again. It worked better earlier, since Home Again didn't have the same muted tone to it.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television