Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Old January 12th, 2016, 8:46 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

And the first TRUE review has come out... via the Hollywood Reporter of ep 1 and it's not good.

This snippet in particular is downright sad --

Quote:
The problem with reopening The X-Files is two fold. First, the actors, not their characters, don’t seem to have their hearts in it. (That probably wasn’t the intention, but it’s the perceived result.) And, second, Carter’s dialogue is prone to exposition (again, partly the result of only having six episodes to work with) and overheated soliloquies. How that combination sucks the life out of this whole enterprise can’t be underscored enough.
What a damn shame. Considering they're getting along so well in real life. Oh well . I'm bummed by this. They did a good job in IWTB, so what's up here? I'm guessing this time they just came for the paycheck.

Another one, only this refers to the Hollywood Reporter review and an earlier Indiewire review.

And now for a little something lighter... the X Files Files did a nice little piece with D & G earlier this year. Here it is.

Another bummer of a review, this one via Variety.

@RemusLupinFan: You might want to watch Jimmy Kimmel tonight! David and Gillian are on there. And there's a skit .

Another new review... this one isn't good.

Source: cutprintfilm.com

A new article about the series...

Source: empireonline.com

Just came across this one...

Source
: extratv.com

All I have to say for that one is... UGH. -_-

Spoiler: show
So they possibly got married and divorced off screen. Screw this show. I do not like this one bit. I don't like being jerked around.

Just heard about this one over on Haven... don't know what to think of it either... O_o.

Thoughts?

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully again in the new X Files episodes!

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; January 14th, 2016 at 5:37 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2016, 6:41 pm

IGN put out a review for the first episode... here it is.

And one of the bits in it I particularly agree with:

Quote:
The usual X-Files dynamic, sure, though somehow you want more from these two now. And you want it to happen faster.
Bingo sir. You've hit the nail on the head.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Old January 15th, 2016, 5:06 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
IGN put out a review for the first episode... here it is.

And one of the bits in it I particularly agree with:

Bingo sir. You've hit the nail on the head.
You know, at this point I don't know why there's such angst about the relationship. It was stated long ago that Mulder & Scully are estranged, so that dynamic would have changed and we've no idea why/how that came about. Why wouldn't the energy between them be different/strained/awkward (or whatever)? It seems to me that's to be expected.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old January 15th, 2016, 5:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
You know, at this point I don't know why there's such angst about the relationship. It was stated long ago that Mulder & Scully are estranged, so that dynamic would have changed and we've no idea why/how that came about. Why wouldn't the energy between them be different/strained/awkward (or whatever)? It seems to me that's to be expected.
People are tired of the games. That's what I got in part from that comment via the IGN one. Can't say that I blame him either.

Expected it might be, but it doesn't mean that people like it.

A new interview...

Source: ew.com

And all I can say to that is... no soup for you!

New article via the New York Post...

Source
: nypost.com

A quote from it:

Quote:
“The writers were smart to keep [the characters’] relationship fluctuating. But the foundation is that they care about each other so much. They’re the love of each other’s life.”

From Scully’s mouth, fans.
Too little, too late.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; January 22nd, 2016 at 5:59 pm.
Old January 16th, 2016, 2:07 am
Curse Breaker

I still disagree. These aren't "games", this is what happens in real life. And they both had baggage before they met each other. There's also the matter of a lost child -- even though still living in all likelihood -- lost to them. The impact of that on any couple is huge. It also appears that Mulder is likely depressed. Sorry, but it seems that the odds are greater that they'd separate than stay together, at least at this stage of their relationship.

Old January 16th, 2016, 2:35 am

Quote:
I still disagree. These aren't "games", this is what happens in real life. And they both had baggage before they met each other. There's also the matter of a lost child -- even though still living in all likelihood -- lost to them. The impact of that on any couple is huge. It also appears that Mulder is likely depressed. Sorry, but it seems that the odds are greater that they'd separate than stay together, at least at this stage of their relationship.
Maybe. But I just don't like how it's being done for. Ratings and drama. That's what I consider to be games. Drawing things out. The split isn't a game itself in regards to where the characters are in their lives.

So I just don't care all that much for this. I'll be watching... but actually caring about it, probably not all that much.

Add on to that... that it's supposed to be a 'long road' at least according to what Gillian said in a recent interview... and I just don't think I have it in me anymore to keep up with it.

Another article...

Source: hollywoodreporter.com

Thoughts?

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; January 16th, 2016 at 4:21 am.
Old January 16th, 2016, 5:06 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Maybe. But I just don't like how it's being done for. Ratings and drama. That's what I consider to be games. Drawing things out. The split isn't a game itself in regards to where the characters are in their lives.
The way I see it, there are no "games" for "ratings and drama". The story picks up where the characters are at the moment, just like in I Want To Believe they were living together. No different, except fans would perhaps rather see that. However, in real relationships it doesn't work that way. What would be the point of just having them be together with no problems regardless of what they're dealing with? Because in my opinion, that would be fake "games". I'd rather have the characters reacting/evolving in a manner more true to reality, a more genuine depiction of the complexity of relationships.

Last edited by HedwigOwl; January 16th, 2016 at 5:10 am.
Old January 16th, 2016, 6:34 am

Quote:
The way I see it, there are no "games" for "ratings and drama". The story picks up where the characters are at the moment, just like in I Want To Believe they were living together. No different, except fans would perhaps rather see that. However, in real relationships it doesn't work that way. What would be the point of just having them be together with no problems regardless of what they're dealing with? Because in my opinion, that would be fake "games". I'd rather have the characters reacting/evolving in a manner more true to reality, a more genuine depiction of the complexity of relationships.
Let's agree to disagree here. I read about that in an interview, about the drama part.

Fair point. But take Bones for example. They've had a pair of good relationships. Booth and Brennan and Angela and Hodgins. They've both been through thick and thin together. Booth with his gambling habit. And Angela and Hodgins dealing with possible hearing loss with their son back when she was pregnant with him.

So it's not that shows ignore that characters go through problems in their marriages and relationships. They still react and evolve in a realistic manner.

At the end of the day, I'll still not accept what's going on with M & S for what it's worth. Just like some people didn't accept s8 and s9 back in the day. Sure it'll be there in canon. But I'll just consider it to be yet another way to get drama.

Old January 16th, 2016, 4:15 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Let's agree to disagree here. I read about that in an interview, about the drama part.
OK, I'm good with that!

Old January 17th, 2016, 7:09 am

Ugh... I think I just lost my lunch.

Quote:
But the character O’Malley believes it. And he convinces Mulder to – not necessarily believe that – but to believe many other things he’s exposing. I don’t think Mulder and Scully adopt any political position so much as a new approach in their search for the truth. While I think their politics are balanced, I think the turn they take is toward a more heretical political position.”
Source: http://www.infowars.com/foxs-x-files...-new-theories/

In a nutshell, Tad is based off Alex Jones in part. And that guy is .

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; January 17th, 2016 at 7:17 pm.
Old January 17th, 2016, 8:03 am
Curse Breaker

There was a half hour special on Fox late afternoon today (central U.S. time) about the new series. Did anyone else see it?

Old January 17th, 2016, 2:27 pm

Quote:
There was a half hour special on Fox late afternoon today (central U.S. time) about the new series. Did anyone else see it?
Nope. I missed it. I'll be checking to see if it's On Demand.

Have you seen the Jimmy Kimmel skit yet?

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; January 17th, 2016 at 9:44 pm.
Old January 20th, 2016, 4:47 am

A new article...http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyl...der-and-scully

Quote:
The relationship between Mulder and Scully was also an early prototype in the phenomenon now known as "shipping", whereby fans imagine or encourage a romantic relationship between two characters or celebrities.

Duchovny hints that the new series may give many viewers what they want in this regard, even though it will begin by disclosing that they did get together at one point but broke up.

He says: "It seems important to certain fans that Mulder and Scully be together romantically, but stasis and a good relationship are not exciting dramatically because you want your show to move.

"So I think the fans would be more pleased knowing that if you start broken up, you're probably trending towards getting back together rather than the other way round."
Seriously? So resorting to an old trope AGAIN... is a smart thing? /facepalm

Another interview...

Source: polygon.com

Quote:
"Because of Google, Mulder probably spends a lot of time sitting at home in front of his computer in his underwear," Carter said. "I believed it would spell a bump in the road for them. But I think you'll see through the course of the six episodes that they begin to be drawn close together once again."

Carter wouldn't elaborate as to whether that meant Scully and Mulder would eventually get the romantic reunion that fans have been hoping for, but did reiterate that was an arc that could only be carried out if the show received an order for new episodes.
/facepalm

I'm literally sick and tired of this stuff.

And yet another one...

Source: slashfilm.com

And another one!

Source: the wrap.com

Quote:
Recently you said Mulder and Scully were platonic for nine seasons and fans kind of went, “Wait a minute. They had a kid together. They weren’t platonic.” Can you clarify those comments?
Well, we never actually said definitively how that kid came to be. Even though there are indicators how he came to be, we never said specifically when that conception and how that conception and the details surrounding that conception fit together. And I thought it was better to play the mystery of it. Even though we’ve said it’s their kid, I think there are still questions outstanding.
Do you still see them as platonic?
No. They were still in the same bed together in the second movie, so… No, that’s not platonic.
How conclusive is the ending to the six episodes going to be in terms of the larger mythology?
There’s a huge cliffhanger.
So are there plans for more episodes then?
Not yet. We’ll have to see how these do. Right now, even though there was a casual mention of it, no one has had any serious conversations, and certainly no negotiations about coming back after this.
Would you be okay with this franchise ending in this cliffhanger?
Well, there could be a third movie. These characters are kind of in my blood, I say they’re in my DNA and they are. So there’s always the potential to do more. I think we just have to wait and see how we do on this outing.
But you and David and Gillian would all be game for more.
All of us have expressed a desire to do more, yes.
In your own head, do you have a definitive ending to “The X-Files”?
No.
Well I'll be damned. Hell has officially frozen over.

A new video has come out!

And thanks to a recent comment that Chris made... a fan petition to show him that there are more than 20 shippers out there.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; January 22nd, 2016 at 10:34 pm.
Old January 25th, 2016, 5:35 am
Curse Breaker

So, what does everyone think about part 1 of the 1st episode?

Old January 25th, 2016, 5:38 am
I want to believe

Just saw the new episode, and I enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as the original show, but for what it was, I think it worked. I have to say I was psyched to see Mulder and Scully together again, and also Skinner. The new take on the mythology was interesting too, though it all was explained very quickly. The visual effects were great. Also, CSM was super creepy! I can't wait to see the remaining episodes.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old January 25th, 2016, 6:54 am

Quote:
So, what does everyone think about part 1 of the 1st episode?
Pretty good. And omg... they're married. *faints* Never thought CC would go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
Just saw the new episode, and I enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as the original show, but for what it was, I think it worked. I have to say I was psyched to see Mulder and Scully together again, and also Skinner. The new take on the mythology was interesting too, though it all was explained very quickly. The visual effects were great. Also, CSM was super creepy! I can't wait to see the remaining episodes.
That's where I'm at with it too. And CSM... damn. He creeped me out big time. Any guesses on the person who gave him the cigarette? It looked like a woman to me.

Old January 26th, 2016, 1:31 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
And CSM... damn. He creeped me out big time. Any guesses on the person who gave him the cigarette? It looked like a woman to me.
I'm not sure I could guess without sleeping on it. I read in the NY Times that he's only going to be in 2 episodes, so only 1 to go. Davis also said that some "surprising relationships" have developed....might have something to do with the person giving him the trach cigarette.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/25/ar...esurfaces.html

Last edited by HedwigOwl; January 26th, 2016 at 3:20 am.
Old January 26th, 2016, 5:21 am

Quote:
I'm not sure I could guess without sleeping on it. I read in the NY Times that he's only going to be in 2 episodes, so only 1 to go. Davis also said that some "surprising relationships" have developed....might have something to do with the person giving him the trach cigarette.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/25/ar...esurfaces.html
Eww....

Really did not like tonight's ep much at all. Apart from the dreams that M & S had, the cold opening and some of the creepiness. It felt off some how. There was no chemistry (in my opinion) between David and Gillian. Was so bummed. Even in the old eps and IWTB there was that connection and so far, apart from parts in the first ep, it was MIA .

Another article...

Source: wired.com

Quote:
5. …but you can’t just pick up where you left off.

“We didn’t want to play Mulder and Scully younger than they really are. I think that would have been cheesy. We want to be honest with the passage of time, and honest to what would have happened in the course of their lives in the interim. So that was a challenge, but it also makes for interesting storytelling—it excited us that we could tell stories where Mulder and Scully are split up again. I think it irritated the ‘Shippers,’ who I hear are still angry at me for splitting them up. The challenge, of course, is to maintain a tone and a quality that you had and expand the bridge of a time from what is 13 or 14 years.”
/facepalm I have no words for this. What an arrogant twerp.

Old January 26th, 2016, 6:20 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Eww....
Really did not like tonight's ep much at all. Apart from the dreams that M & S had, the cold opening and some of the creepiness. It felt off some how. There was no chemistry (in my opinion) between David and Gillian. Was so bummed. Even in the old eps and IWTB there was that connection and so far, apart from parts in the first ep, it was MIA .

Another article...

Source: wired.com
I think everyone needs to remember that they've been separated, so there is inevitably an awkwardness, and they're both depressed. They're struggling with being apart, and pretty much haven't talked openly about William for years & have kept everything buried inside. Reading overly analytical articles comparing the characters to half a lifetime ago is, I think, very unrealistic, and critics complaining about that don't know what they're doing.

Old January 27th, 2016, 3:42 am

Quote:
I think everyone needs to remember that they've been separated, so there is inevitably an awkwardness, and they're both depressed. They're struggling with being apart, and pretty much haven't talked openly about William for years & have kept everything buried inside. Reading overly analytical articles comparing the characters to half a lifetime ago is, I think, very unrealistic, and critics complaining about that don't know what they're doing.
I know. The first ep had some chemistry there, along with the awkwardness. That's why the second one struck me as odd. I wasn't comparing them to what they were like back then.

I was just reading CC's comments in it for what it's worth.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television