Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Your Favorite Literary Characters (Other than HP)

Old March 1st, 2012, 3:52 am
Second Year
Re: Your Favorite Literary Characters (Other than HP)

Not from the classics there are:

"Odd Thomas" from Dean Koontz
"Dexter Morgan" from Jeff Lindsay
"The Vampire Lestat" from Anne Rice

Snape thread? Aren't they all Snape threads?

Last edited by WelkinCooper; March 1st, 2012 at 4:18 am.
Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2012, 3:35 pm
First Year

Originally Posted by Legalese View Post

Samwise Gamgee in Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. Most Tolkien fans know that Sam is the true hero of Lord of the Rings. Frodo was brave and wise, and his decision to accept the quest was certainly important, but Sam went along with Frodo, doing much of the work and not getting much of the glory (until much later when he became mayor of Hobbiton and a leading citizen of the Shire). Sam is not noble or elegant or high-born. He is a gardener, basically Frodo's servant (although this was largely glossed over in the movies). Sam's loyalty to Frodo never wavered, and he kept going even when everything seemed hopeless, even after Frodo had collapsed in despair. Sam found great strength within himself. "His will was set, and only death could break it." It's exactly the quality that beatifically remarked upon in reference to Atticus Finch, that to keep going even when you know you are beaten is the greatest courage of all.
I agree with everything you say, I just saw all three films couple days ago and I must say the movies are as good as the book (this is not always the case... I love Sean Astin, he really succeeds in "bringing Sam alive".

Here are some of my other favorites:

Aslan (in Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis)

I love Aslan. I was very young when I first read Narnia books and he made a huge impression in me. He is mysterious, wise, strong and a great Leader. He has so many characteristics that make him unique. I think choosing a lion as his "physical form" in Narnia was an excellent choice, very effective. What I like about him is that even though he is extremely strong, he has a golden heart, is endlessly patient, never judges those who falter... He is the embodiment of Power and Justice. There is something so warm and lovable in Aslan. Definitely one of my all-time favorites (I noticed earlier in this thread that someone else feels the same way, and I am not surprised

V (in V for Vendetta by Alan Moore and David Lloyd)

I fell in love with V from the very beginning... He is both intelligent and physically skilled (his ability to use knives is amazing), he is culturally educated (I have always had this thing for "darker" characters who have a way with words , sophisticated and despite the fact that he murders those who he feels deserve it, he has a gentle heart, he falls in love with Evey, and in the end he dies for his cause. I think the movie was also extremely well made. If you have not yet seen it, I warmly recommend it!! I have seen it several times and it still captivates me )

Michael Graven (in Users of the Mind by S. M. Kois)

He is one of my favorite "Bad Guys". What makes him interesting is his layered personality. Michael is not solely evil, but he is unable to experience normal human emotions, and one could even say he has some traits of a psychopath. He is exceptionally intelligent and has passion for science that approaches an obsession. His obsessive-compulsive personality also shows in his relationship with his brother. He is a skilled swordsman (I love characters who are good with swords ... it gets me every time and he is wearing a mask, which makes him more "mysterious" ... I just love characters with masks Overall I think he is a potent mix: Dark (yep, I seem to have this thing for darkness...) intelligent, powerful, and yet has a "human" side in him that he is almost not even aware of. Definitely one of my favorite characters in this list!

Ripley (in Alien by Ridley Scott) (I know this tread was about LITERARY characters, but I just HAD to mention Ripley here, because she has had such a huge impact on me... I am a huge fan of hers, I simply love her

I love Alien movies, I know many people dislike the last two, but I think they are also alright (not as great as the first two, but still ok). I think Ripley's character is so interesting and inspiring; she is first introduced as an average crew member, but as the story progresses the fighter in her starts to emerge. She has a feminine side in her (it shows in the way she cares for Newt), but also a masculine side (the fierce fighter...). I think Sigourney Weaver was a perfect choice for the role. I heard that they were at first thinking of signing the woman who played Lambert into Ripley's role, but then decided to take Sigourney. That other lady might have done a great job as well, but still I am so glad that Sigourney ended up having the part! Ripley is definitely one of my all-time favorite characters

Last edited by Exodus2000; May 13th, 2012 at 4:12 pm.
Old May 16th, 2012, 5:30 pm
Seventh Year

Elizabeth - Pride and Prejudice - She's witty and likable though too quick to pass judgement, but aren't we all?
Darcy - Pride and Prejudice - His devotion to his sister is admirable, how he sticks to his guns and doesn't apologize for his actions; I relate to his being often misjudged upon first introductions
Jane - Pride and Prejudice - She's so sweet, soft spoken and unpretentious despite being the prettiest of the Bennet girls
Bingley - Pride and Prejudice - He's sort of the male version of Jane and I love how Allison Steadmen as Mrs. Bennet says his name in the BBC miniseries: BINGley!
Mr. Collins - Pride and Prejudice - he's just so annoying!

Anne Elliot - Persuasion - She tries to hard to keep her silly family happy even though she doesn't agree with their excesses and vanity. She's sweet and often overlooked and a very sympathetic character

Samwise - LOTR - the very essence of love and loyalty, friendship and courage; he's everything.

John Corey - Plum Island (and subsequent books) - he's a total wise ***, arrogant and kind of a jerk but charming, intelligent and very quick witted, as in humor and in his job (as an NYPD cop)

Gatsby - The Great Gatsby - he's dedicated to what he wants if misguided in his methods, his love for Daisy is heartwarming and tragic all at once and he's just a sympathetic guy to me.

Long John Silver - Treasure Island - a fantastic antagonist for Jim Hawkins and will forever have the face, the voice and the mannerisms of Tim Curry in my mind

Lisbeth - Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (et al) - She is at times frustrating, at times hard to take and at times unbelievable but she is fascinating and I keep wanting to know more and more about her.

Robert Langdon - Angels and Demons (et al) - He's the symbologist version of Indiana Jones and is totally cool. By the third book, though, he gets frustrating because...
Spoiler: show
he doesn't seem to have learned anything from his preivous two experiences with crazy $#!^ happening to him and around him. I wanted him at the beginning of the third book to be like "Wait, what? Again?? Don't these crazies have some other professor they can screw with?" but then get on with the story. I just wanted him to recognize the silliness of him always getting roped into these outlandish plots

Carlo Vantresca - Angels and Demons - he had one of the most interesting motivations of almost anyone I've read about in a book. He's a fascinating character and the subjects raised for discussion in Angels and Demons were very interesting.
Mal'ahk - The Lost Symbol - He's really interesting up until you learn his backstory and then it's kind of a groaner, but he did, as a character, give me the single scariest scene from a book I've ever read (Katherine and him in the Pod or whatever it's called); he was a pretty malevolent character.

"I could have been in politics 'cause I've always been a big spender."
Old June 2nd, 2012, 2:41 am
Fourth Year

Jon Snow and Arya Stark from A Song of Ice and Fire series. I love their characters and their story, I feel like I'm always trying to read through the other chapters quicker just to get to theirs. That's not true though, I love all..most..of the characters in this series, but Jon and Arya especially.

Gryffindor on Pottermore & CoS.
Wand: 12 1/2 in, Apple, Dragon, Pliant

Last edited by RikuStark; June 2nd, 2012 at 2:44 am. Reason: small typo. :)
Old June 20th, 2012, 5:32 am
Second Year

Jude Fawley from Thomas Hardy's Jude the Obscure
A very tragic and sad character who aspired to better things than he ever obtained in life.

Snape thread? Aren't they all Snape threads?
Old August 5th, 2012, 12:57 am
Third Year

Haymitch from The Hunger Games trilogy: He was so funny and he seemed so cool (minus his drinking addiction).
The Little Prince from The Little Prince: He was so sweet and innocent.
Gen from The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner: I liked his defiant personality.
Razumihin from Crime and Punishment: I liked how sociable/friendly he was and I really like his 'philosophy' on people (I read this in my AP Eng Lit. class so we really got into the book/characters). He was the perfect foil to Raskolnikov (the main character).
Jace from The Mortal Instruments series: Its hard not to like him!

Thats all I can think of right now though I bet there are a lot of characters I forgot to mention.

Old October 18th, 2012, 7:34 am

The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's alter ego, is one of my all-time favourites.

Brat Farrar, the title character in Josephine Tey's mystery novel (very well played by Mark Greenstreet in the TV adaptation)

Eowyn and Faramir in Lord of the Rings, followed by Pippin and Merry.

Cinna and Boggs in the Hunger Games series - Gale and Peeta. Katniss herself sometimes gets on my nerves.

Scout Finch in To Kill A Mockingbird - Jem, Atticus and Calpurnia in the same book.

Westley and Inigo in The Princess Bride.

Selenay, Kerowyn, Kris, Elspeth, DarkWind, Skif, Alberich in the Valdemar series.

Lizzie and Darcy in Pride and Prejudice.

Jon, Arya, Rob and Tyrion in SoIaF - though Jaime is growing on me, especially played by Nicolaj Coster-Waldau

Christopher Paget and Carlo Carelli Paget in Degree of Guilt and Eyes of a Child by Richard North Patterson.

Gabriel Ortiz in the Benni Harper mystery series by Earlene Fowler.

Masha in Chekov's The Seagull (the Seagull herself, Nina, I could slap with pleasure - like I could Cersei and Sansa in SoIaF.)

Natasha in War and Peace

Berengara (Richard the Lion-Hearted's wife) in The Lute Player

I could go on but am becoming sleepy. Be back later with more.

ETA - I failed to mention Lady Helen Clyde, later Helen Lynley, Countess of Asherton in Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley series. She's my absolute favourite in that series.

I was also thinking of some other characters but their names elude me right now.

Last edited by LyannaS; October 18th, 2012 at 7:40 am. Reason: ETA
Old October 20th, 2012, 12:28 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I've just been re-reading the Little Women books and remembered how much I like Professor Bhaer. He's clever, compassionate, honest and just, reliable - a rock in fact - and generous. He's emotional and not afraid to show it. Hard to find a fault.

Meet Mickey, my new kitten!
"From this time forth we shall be leaving the firm foundation of fact and journeying together through the murky marshes of memory into thickets of wildest guesswork."
Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction