Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Computer & Video Games

Other MMORPGs than WOW

Old November 22nd, 2007, 5:59 am
First Year

Other MMORPGs than WOW

Okay, I don't think that there's a thread on any other MMORPGs (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games) than World Of Warcraft. So, does anybody else play any? My personal favorite is Everquest (it gets a bad rap but it's good), but I've played others like Star Wars Galaxies and Everquest II. So what does anybody else play?

"The world is 63 years old."
Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2007, 5:53 pm
Registered Animagus

Re: Other MMORPGs than WOW

I will explain more when I get the chance, but check out this site:

www.tibia.com

It is a free MMORPG and REALLY FUN. Downloadable! Hope ya like it.

Old November 29th, 2007, 8:53 pm
Sixth Year

I only play Guild Wars now, but not very often. I used to love Star Wars Galaxies, I loved how much you could alter your character's clothes and being able to make houses and furniture and catch and train wild animals so you could trap them. I stopped playing when they 'upgraded' it and got rid of the creature handler profession and changed the controls. I'd love another game like that though, one where there is a lot of variety not just fighting. I had a whole chain of clothes shops and used to love running around on my mount, and dancing in the canteen, it was great!

Old December 6th, 2007, 8:40 am
First Year

Anybody played the Lord of The Rings Online one?
I'm planning to get it for my brother for Christmas. I've tried the free trial, and I liked it, even though I usually NEVER play games that involve fighting/war. And I didn't really understand the whole fighting system in this game. But yeah, I really enjoyed the whole look of it, and the fact that it appeared you didn't HAVE to fight all the time, you could also just become a farmer or a cook or something.
I think I'll definitely get it, and if my brother doesn't like it, I'll keep it for myself.

Johnny Depp
is...

Harry Potter

Old December 8th, 2007, 10:15 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by permafrost View Post
Okay, I don't think that there's a thread on any other MMORPGs (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games) than World Of Warcraft. So, does anybody else play any? My personal favorite is Everquest (it gets a bad rap but it's good), but I've played others like Star Wars Galaxies and Everquest II. So what does anybody else play?
The first time I went to Permafrost I kinda ran into Lady Vox's room on accident. EverQuest has to be my favourite though. WoW was too easy.

Old February 25th, 2008, 9:47 am
Genius Loci

I play City of Heroes a lot. It was lanifiel who introduced me to the game years ago and I've played it ever since. About to get my 45-month veteran badge. I also saw that Cryptic Studios recently announced development of Champions Online, another comicbook MMO based on the PnP RPG.

Old February 26th, 2008, 5:04 pm
Second Year

I played Anarchy Online a lot a few years back, because my friend was really excited about it and wanted me to give it a try too. It was OK but i never got really into it. And then i've been playing Guild Wars for 2 years soon but my interest with it is sorta wavy.

Last edited by Corvus; May 9th, 2008 at 5:35 pm.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 5:29 pm
Zonko's Employee

Well, I'm playing Dark age of Camelot at the moment, it is a pretty old MMORPG but still IMO one of the best out there.
There you have or better said, you should fight for your realm versus the two other realms. The best part in this game is Teamwork with your realm-mates something what can be very tough too, try to play well and like a Team with 20 - 100 player.
PvE-Content isn't the greatest but with a nice guild this makes fun as well. DaoC's strength is clearly its Realm versus Realm concept and having 3 Fractions fighting against each other.
Sadly, this game is dying ever so slowly and if I reget something, its that I dicovered this one about 3 years to late.

"Perhaps that's why we have had conflicts. It is hard for two people both accustomed to the same position to sort things out." Otherland Volume Three

Old April 7th, 2008, 3:18 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhoenix View Post
Well, I'm playing Dark age of Camelot at the moment, it is a pretty old MMORPG but still IMO one of the best out there.
There you have or better said, you should fight for your realm versus the two other realms. The best part in this game is Teamwork with your realm-mates something what can be very tough too, try to play well and like a Team with 20 - 100 player.
PvE-Content isn't the greatest but with a nice guild this makes fun as well. DaoC's strength is clearly its Realm versus Realm concept and having 3 Fractions fighting against each other.
Sadly, this game is dying ever so slowly and if I reget something, its that I dicovered this one about 3 years to late.
I remember that game! I think somebody in my family bought it, but we gave up our subscription. I do remember there being a lot of people there; I think it was when it first came out. It was really confusing for me (in 5th or 6th grade), and everything was really dark (colorwise), but it sounds cool now. As for the shrinkage in popularity, EQ is suffering the same fate. I think WOW is strangling all competition.

"The world is 63 years old."
Old April 20th, 2008, 10:02 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by permafrost View Post
I remember that game! I think somebody in my family bought it, but we gave up our subscription. I do remember there being a lot of people there; I think it was when it first came out. It was really confusing for me (in 5th or 6th grade), and everything was really dark (colorwise), but it sounds cool now. As for the shrinkage in popularity, EQ is suffering the same fate. I think WOW is strangling all competition.
I started playing EQ back in February 2001 I think. I started as a Erudite Wizard. (probably a mistake at the time). PLayed for a good few years. My mains were a wizard 52nd level and an Iksar Shadowknight. 53rd level.
When a bunch of players I'm familiar with online went and abandoned EQ for WoW I asked them the pros and cons to see why.

I eventually quit EQ...

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old May 7th, 2008, 5:34 pm
Second Year

I play Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction some. I like the medieval theme and the variety in the characters.

Old May 15th, 2008, 2:00 am
Second Year

I don't play any regularly. Still occasionally log on to Guild Wars, but not very often. I've also played Star Wars Galaxies, Everquest, and City of Villains. SWG was the only one I ever really got into, but then they "upgraded" it and essentially nullified all the work I did to become a Jedi and I stopped playing. They supposedly did it to make the game appeal to a wider group of players, but they alienated the players who had been playing since the beginning and those new players never showed up. Worst decision ever.

I'm not a Harry Potter addict. I choose to go to conventions, theme parks, book release parties and movie premiers and to spend hundreds of dollars per year on licensed merchandise. Continuously reading, discussing and analyzing the books is simply a hobby. I can stop any time I want to. No, I really mean it. Seriously. Addicts can't stop. That's the difference between me and an addict.

GalleonSickle4 on Pottermore
Wand- 13" Beech and Dragon Heartstring, unbending
Proud student of House
Old May 15th, 2008, 8:09 pm
Fifth Year

I hear Age of Conan is supposed to be the next gen WoW.

Old May 15th, 2008, 9:20 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastHorcrux View Post
SWG was the only one I ever really got into, but then they "upgraded" it and essentially nullified all the work I did to become a Jedi and I stopped playing. They supposedly did it to make the game appeal to a wider group of players, but they alienated the players who had been playing since the beginning and those new players never showed up. Worst decision ever.
Ditto. 100% in agreement here. I gave up on SWG after that. I put too much time and effort into that game and was really disappointed to have it all have been a waste. I was very disappointed with Sony for that.

I'm not playing any MMORPGs right now, though I've heard good things about the LotR one. A good friend of mine is quite addicted and enjoys it a lot.

Old May 25th, 2008, 7:04 pm
Third Year

There's RuneScape, I play that a lot.

Though, I haven't played any other MMORPGs than that.

Old May 28th, 2008, 8:23 pm
First Year

I play runescape too, but my internet's been slow lately so I haven't been playing it as much.

Old May 28th, 2008, 10:16 pm
Sixth Year

I've never played WOW. I play Guild Wars and City of Heroes/Villains.

Old May 29th, 2008, 3:16 am
First Year

Honestly, Runescape is stupid. I play it only when I am EXTREMELY bored and have NOTHING to do. But yeah...that's all I ever really have played. I bought Guild Wars, then figured I didn't have the right video card for it, AND I couldn't take it back.

My Patronus is a Parrot

Take the quiz here--http://quizfarm.com/quiz_repository/...tronus/177121/
Old May 29th, 2008, 3:58 am
Third Year

I don't understand how anyone can play Runescape, dear god, there has to be something else you can do with your time.

All opinions in the above post are the personal opinions of HouseStark, unless they are quoted from another source. Any and all views in the above post are purely opinion, unless they can be verified by scientific data or historical record.
Old May 29th, 2008, 7:46 am
Genius Loci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelpagan View Post
I play Guild Wars and City of Heroes/Villains.
Cool, what server do you play CoX on? I play on Virtue.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Computer & Video Games