Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Computer & Video Games

What do most girls play?

Old November 29th, 2007, 11:16 pm
Sixth Year

Re: What do most girls play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rappy28 View Post
And when we do get noticed, most male gamers automatically think our skills must be inferior to theirs. Or how about that serious WoW raiding guild that doesn't want any women in their ranks ? Because girl gamers cause drama (honestly, that's mostly the fault of the immature male gamers), because girl gamers can't take jokes nor abuse. Also there goes the skill prejudice.
To be fair there are WoW guilds which are just for women too so it goes both ways. I don't remember where I read it, but I read that masses of women play MMORPGs especially in East Asia where a lot of housewives play them during the day while their husbands are at work.

Quote:
And all of this reminds me of this little gem a guy told me on a gaming forum, out of the blue : "No offense, but if you're a girl gamer, you're probably not very attractive to begin with."
That's really harsh, he was probably just bitter that he couldn't find a girlfriend!

I agree about there being more games for girls too, I think when I was young (NES/ SNES era) games weren't really only for boys- games like Mario, Sonic, Zelda etc aren't gender specific, but PlayStation era games and onwards seem to have been very mannish, I think it's to do with games becoming more acceptable for grown ups and too many people associate 'maturity' in games with violence, language, sexiness etc and it feels to me that things are becoming more balanced now with so many games which are very female friendly. And age friendly too! My mum keeps pinching my DS now to play Brain Training, she hasn't played games since Tetris on the original GameBoy, and my boyfriend's mum bought her own DS just to play Picross and 42 All Time Classics and she also hadn't played games since Tetris. Not sure about my point there, just that it's nice for everyone to have a game they like I guess!

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2007, 3:57 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapegirl77 View Post
I have it, but haven't played it yet. (Christmas ) I hear it's easier to play if you're not a guitar player. The real life guitar player will try to actuall play the song, not the buttons on the guitar controller. I'll see if this is true come Christmas.
Cool that you're getting it for Christmas! Please let me know what you think about it when Santa finally lets you to open your presents

Quote:
Here's a small girl gamer rant: last night my husband and I watched a show about the history of video games. As they moved from the 1980's to the 1990's, they were talking about how gamers grew up and still liked video games. My problem is they referred all the gamers as being "boys" and then "young men." They completely ignored all us girls, not even a mention that the girls of that time played video games too. I've been playing since I was 8 and I went from kid to teen to adult from the 80's to the 90's. I was so mad!

Quote:
And when we do get noticed, most male gamers automatically think our skills must be inferior to theirs. Or how about that serious WoW raiding guild that doesn't want any women in their ranks ? Because girl gamers cause drama (honestly, that's mostly the fault of the immature male gamers), because girl gamers can't take jokes nor abuse. Also there goes the skill prejudice.
And all of this reminds me of this little gem a guy told me on a gaming forum, out of the blue : "No offense, but if you're a girl gamer, you're probably not very attractive to begin with."

But now I think games are getting more widely accessible to girls. With games such as the Sims, Animal Crossing... Recently, my friends, who usually don't play games at all, have requested I hold a Wii Party at my house one day...
I really don't get all this boys/girls difference when we talk about games! The title of this thread itself makes a difference that I don't think exists. I play video game for a long time, since the SNES/Atari times, and from the begining I didn't feel any difference, I always chose the games that I liked and played them with friends of both genders and also diferent ages. I still have all my consoles and games and seeing them today I don't see any huge change in themes!

I play video games with my family and with friends and because I love to play and fortunatelly today I can buy the games when they launch them (don't have to wait for special ocasions as when I was a kid) I have a group of friends that come to play with me from 10 to 60 years old, males and females! We make contests and I never felt any prejudice from the boys with 15 to 50 that participate on them. I'm pretty good in many games and most of the time I bit them on what you call "boy games", so I just don't get this prejudice from sites and TV shows.

Also I would like to say that things are changing in a way that I really appreciate. With Wii, people that usually didn't play video games, always complaining about the difficulty that they had with the controls, are playing and loving it, like my Mom and my husband! To have fun you don't have to be in one particular gender or particular age!

Old November 30th, 2007, 4:46 am
First Year

I'm mostly into things like The Sims and the tycoon games but I'm always up for a Super Smash Bros game and I want Guitar Hero for Christmas! Also, to guys who think girls don't play video games, most of my female friends do, and they're way more into it than I am!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonyluna0114 View Post
Also games such as Theme Park and Theme Hospital.
THEME HOSPITAL!!! I forgot about that game, I loved it. My favourite was that Bloaty Head disease and the one where they thought they were Elvis, haha.

Old December 1st, 2007, 3:47 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou View Post
Who doesn't love Guitar Hero?
I was a bit reluctant to give this game a go but I gave in and found that I really enjoy it. It's super addictive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoive View Post
THEME HOSPITAL!!! I forgot about that game, I loved it. My favourite was that Bloaty Head disease and the one where they thought they were Elvis, haha.
I remember that game!

Old December 23rd, 2007, 4:57 pm
Second Year

my favorite game would have to be guitar hero!!! i just love the music even though some of it, i only heard from my elder brothers' collection...i also enjoy playing some of my nephew's games such as bully and shinobido...a bit brutal but i enjoyed it non the less.

are proud to present
The Marauders Map

The Prisoner and The Professor, A Partnership Cut Short, Auburn Pride and a Chaser's PersuationJust Friends-J/L 6th year, A History of Magic
Teddy Lupin and the Legacy of the Marauders
Old December 23rd, 2007, 6:21 pm
Third Year

I like playing FF games, Dark Cloud, The Sims, GHII

Love Struck and Feedback
Old January 3rd, 2008, 10:53 pm
Second Year

I like RPG's (Final Fantasy), adventure games (Okami, Shadow of the Colossus), and horror games (Silent Hill, Fatal Frame).

Old January 5th, 2008, 1:25 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
To be fair there are WoW guilds which are just for women too so it goes both ways. I don't remember where I read it, but I read that masses of women play MMORPGs especially in East Asia where a lot of housewives play them during the day while their husbands are at work.
Oh wow (pun not intended..), I didn't know about that ! On my realm, the male/female proportions are approximately 95%/5%... The guys in my guild don't overreact when I talk on our Team Speak channel though, it's nice.
It seems also some of my (rare) girl gamer friends prefer Guild Wars when it comes to MMORPGs. I have never played it myself, only seen a few videos, but I guess the graphics are more appealing, realistic and "beautiful". Personally I couldn't care less, on the contrary, I really like Warcraft's fantasy oriented world, cartoonish characters and rich lore. And what would I do without my lanky Troll with teal skin, huge tusks and a blue mohawk ?

"Remember the part where you weren't talking ? Let's do that again."

Ŕ consommer avec modération.
Old January 5th, 2008, 5:50 am
First Year

I play:
Everquest (played it for years... i grew up with it)
Sims 2 (boring usually)
Just Tried World of Warcraft but it's not my favorite (too easy)
Skill Games like Minesweeper and Solitaire (i can play them for hours... it's dangerous when I have to do work
Super Mario 64 + Galaxy (both great)
The Mario Party series occasionally
DVD games... i get fooled into buying them but they're waaay too easy
I've played Halo but I think gun games are not as fun as sword games
Donkey Kong 64
Oblivion on Xbox(2nd best game after EQ EVER)

(I think my profile might say i'm male but i'm really a girl

"The world is 63 years old."
Old January 27th, 2008, 4:07 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEWEASLEYS04 View Post
I don't know if most girls play this, but I LOVE GTA. All of them. I love the missions and the storyline.
Lol, me too. Once we got all the honour roll girls together in my friend's basement, and we're like having an intelligent conversation until we started to play this. Then it was all like "HIT THE COP HIT THE COP!"

BTW. I love me some Zelda, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Mario Bros., DDR, and Guitar Hero. I used to play a lot more, but now I just dont have the time!

One door, one key, one idea...one big mess.
The Phenomenon Begins
Old January 30th, 2008, 7:27 pm
Third Year

Most of the girls I know either play Sims games, or downloadable games like Diner Dash and Cake Mania. I prefer Action/Adventure and RPGs myself, but I like a good shooter and puzzle every now and then (and I do love the sims ). I mostly play games that can be played on the PC or gameboy as I don't have anything higher than that as of now (last year my roomie had a wii, so I did get to play some good gamecube and weemee games).

You've got to make the effort, and love every moment of it
Old February 3rd, 2008, 11:03 pm
Fourth Year

.. I'm a girl, and I play Zelda, Pokemon, and Final Fantasy... And Mario Kart.. I'm awesome at Mario Kart DS

When injustice becomes law, Rebellion becomes duty.
Old February 4th, 2008, 1:17 am
do you want fries with that?

I love Sims Games (Roller Coaster Tycoon, The Sims, SimCity, etc.)

I also like Halo, GTA, Need For Speed, etc and RPG games. And I love sports Games.
But my favorite is Guitar Hero or SingStar!!!

I guess I pretty much like it all.

The Next Mesut Özil

(Although we must ignore the jersey)
Old February 5th, 2008, 6:24 pm
Second Year

Im not a girl but my sister was quite addicted to The Sims. I never understood what she liked so much about the game

Old February 10th, 2008, 5:25 am
Sixth Year

I like fighting games like WoW, and stuff like that. I also love the Sims, it's so cute. A lot of my guy friends love the Sims too, but I guess many guys here don't like the Sims do they?

Old February 10th, 2008, 10:08 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Malefoy View Post
Im not a girl but my sister was quite addicted to The Sims. I never understood what she liked so much about the game
I don't know... There was a time when the only game my friends knew was The Sims. I really don't know what's up with that.
I tried to play it once, but I quickly got bored, didn't get some of the controls and started to feel bad for "my family" : jobless, the mother forced to attempt working in the army, starving (I didn't know how to move them, they wouldn't...)... I could never be responsible enough for that kind of game, and worst of all, it depressed me.

"Remember the part where you weren't talking ? Let's do that again."

Ŕ consommer avec modération.
Old April 13th, 2008, 2:00 am
First Year

I LOVE VIDEO GAMES!!! *ahem* ignore that, sorry.
I love SUPAH MARIO GALAXY!!! for Wii. Also, Mercury Meltdown Revolution for Wii. I Love Knights of the Old Republic, (KotOR) and Star Wars Lego 1&2.

I have Cooking Mama, Yoshi's Island DS, Imagine Fashion Designer, Nintendogs Chihuahua and Friends, and (now lost ) Kimmunicator for my DS, and for Gameboy, I have Spongebob: Attack of the Flying Dutchman, Supersponge, Spyro: Attack of the Rhynocs, Kim Possible 3: Team Possible, and Kim Possible 2: Drakken's Demise.

Maybe there's a reason I'm broke...

Lizzy

'I'm sorry, but I'm not going to watch the Clone Wars TV Series until I've seen the Clone Wars movie. I prefer to let George Lucas disappoint me in the order he intended." -Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory
Old April 13th, 2008, 3:01 am
Third Year

i used to love gamboys!

i lovee vid games

and i loveeeeeeeEEEE Wii and my PSP

for other hockey team supporters:
its too late to apologize... but its not to late to flamitize!
I'VE GOT A C FLAMING ON MY CHEST!

Proud member of GSWIA! (Guys Sound Wow with an Irish Accent!)

Snape always had a reason

http://www.calgary-city-maps.com/images/CalgaryFlames.gif
Old April 13th, 2008, 4:23 am
Fourth Year

I love the Grand Theft Auto series. They are probably not the best games for a teenage girl to play, but my parents never realized that.

Old June 14th, 2008, 8:29 pm
Banned

I play on miniclip, club penguin, and runescape. Other than those I'll play Spyro: A New Begining on xbox or U.B. Funkeys on the computer.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Computer & Video Games