Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Fan-Fiction Discussion (Including Harry Potter Fan-Fiction)

Old December 4th, 2007, 6:59 am
Gwen's Auntie

Re: Fan-Fiction Discussion (Including Harry Potter Fan-Fiction)

I don't actually read HP fanfic anymore, I stopped when I was like 13 or 14. I just kind of realized one day that none of the ones I read were doing it justice, and I didn't like them. Hope no one minds me answering this anyway.

A. Harry Potter Fan-Fiction Questions
1. What type do you generally like to read?
a) Marauder-Era (Marauders and Lily's era)
b) Hogwarts Era (Harry and Co. In Hogwarts)
c) Next-Generation (Future Generations of kids)
d) Other (explain)

I could usually only ever get into this one. Not sure why, but I was never really interested in the Marauders. (Don't hate me, Marauders-lovers, please!)

2. What do you like better?
a) Storyline Fan-Fiction (Sticks to the storyline JK Rowling herself intended)
b) Alternate Universe
c) Other

I liked other stuff, the storyline stuff I thought should be left to JK. Personal opinion. I really liked character analysis if they were well-written.

3) What genre do you like in Harry Potter fan-fiction?
a) General
b) Romance
c) Action
d) Comedy
e) Other

I'm not into action or comedy. Mostly because I have found that many people don't write action very well. And for comedy, it was because so many of the stories' comedy just wasn't funny to me.

But I am a girl, so naturally I like romance. And I used to be (and depending on the time of the month, still am ) somewhat angsty. Maybe it's the lack of drama and angst in my real life? Hmmm, I shall ponder that. But I did occasionally like myself a dramatic/angsty story.

4) What do you particularly look for in Harry Potter fan-fiction?

A well-written story. Good use of grammar, proper spelling, no stupid cliches, etc. Something that grabs my attention and actually makes me want to read further.

5) What do you not like to see in Harry Potter fan-fiction?

Someone mentioned it above: The whole Hermione comes back from summer and is suddenly beautiful (cinnamon curls, a new tan, and "sexy" clothes, etc.). (Or Ron/Harry are suddenly really muscle-y and ripped.) When people insert someone exactly like themselves into a story. Stupid storylines, excessive swearing, people bringing their ipods to Hogwarts, bad spelling/grammar. I also hate it when people don't double space and separate paragraphs! It makes my eyes hurt to try to read a single-spaced block of words. (I've noticed the single-spaced block ones tend to also have poor spelling and grammar.)

6) Have you written Harry Potter fan-fiction before?

can't say that I have, no.

-----------------------------
B) General Fan-Fiction: (All other types of fan-fiction besides Harry Potter)

Although I gave up on HP fanfic, I do occasionally read other kinds.

1) What stories do you like to write fan-fiction for? (Other than Harry Potter)

Plead the fifth, on account of this answer making me look like a massive dork.

2) What do you like to see in General Fan-Fiction?

Interesting plot, good spelling/grammar, characters act themselves(unless it's the point of the story that they don't act themselves), etc. Stories with the timing believably spaced (where people don't meet in the first chapter and have a kid together by the second, or solve a conflict in a matter of a few paragraphs.)

3) What do you not like to see in General Fan-Fiction?

All the stuff I listed about HP. And when people write like this: "Scene: it's night. Character1: Hey. Character2: Hey!"..That was a bad example, but you get my point...script writing. It's annoying. The dumb, cliche, done-to-death storylines. People who don't finish a story. Or stories that start out really well, and then suddenly go downhill.

-------------------------------------
C) Other Questions

1) Any Pet Peeves when it comes to fan-fiction?

People who write in net-speak. When an author writes the same type of story over and over, with only slightly different circumstances (there is a (non-HP) author like this that I used to read, until every single story became unintelligible from the one before it.). Excessive swearing in a story. Making huge changes to characters for no reason at all (making straight characters gay, turning a guy character into a girl, making a blond brunette, making someone smart into someone stupid.)

Just a question for others who may know. HP fanfic confused me about this point: Is Blaise Zabini a girl or a boy?

Leave people better than you found them.”
― Marvin J. Ashton

Last edited by mac_attack; December 4th, 2007 at 7:25 am.
Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2008, 10:53 pm
Second Year

Questionaire:

d) Other (explain)

Next-Generation and not-so-distant post-Hogwarts Era, when Harry and Co are grown up.

b) Alternate Universe
c) Other

Canon+AU = fanon = good

a) General
b) Romance
c) Action
d) Comedy
e) Other

General

A central plot. I also prefer dialogue based fiction.

Absolute absence of imagery and symbolism.

Yes

Only HP so far.

Same as HP response

Same as HP response
C) Other Questions

I don't enjoy spelling mistakes but I can understand how they're made. Bad grammar, however, is much more annoying. I also don't think that "And then he woke up from his dream" is a good way to end a fan-fiction.

When I'm not cramming for exams, I like to write fanfics and make fanvids. When my mother isn't badgering me about what it means to become a housewife, I like to read and expands my limits. When my dad isn't lecturing me about some political event, I like to watch movies. When my friends don't call back...I would just like to disappear...instead, I fall asleep.

Orchids and Roses - Incomplete -------------------- Roobaroo - In Progress
Old January 4th, 2008, 12:44 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

a) General

Something that is a lot like the Potter-verse - a mixture of comedy, action and romance.

I look for interesting characters. And if the fan fiction has characters that are existing characters, I like to see the author staying true to those characters. Also, of course, a good knowledge of the Harry Potter world and good, interesting writing.

Mary Sue's are a pet peeve of mine. If I see a Mary Sue I pretty much stop reading instantly. Also, fan fictions that are obviously written by someone who hasn't got much knowledge of the Harry Potter world.

Once. It was alright, but I only worte it for my own benefit

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:59 pm
Sixth Year

I don't read much fan-fiction, but when I do it's usually about the Next Generation because, aside from the epilogue, we don't know much about them. It's interesting to see how others think of them.

I usually like it when they stick to canon. I don't know why, but it bugs me a little when they don't.

d) Comedy

I always like a good laugh.

Nothing in particular, really. Mostly just a good idea for a story and a good writing style.

Usually I don't like it very much when they stray from canon, but I'm not saying a good fan-fic has to be canon.

Once or twice, but I never got very far in and I never finished it. I'm afraid it's more work than I was expecting.

*I won't answer section B because I don't really read anything but HP fan-fictions.

C) Other Questions

Not really.

Old April 4th, 2008, 9:08 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

d) Other (explain)

I'll give most things a try, but I've never really been able to get into Maurader-Era. Nobody writes the Trio like JK does so I don't read much Hogwarts-Era. I enjoy Next-Generation because you're free to go pretty much wherever you want with the characters because we know so little about them. I like little one-shots about minor characters which is why I chose option d).

a) General

But I don't mind a little romance weaved into it.

Good writing and a story that captures my attention. And anything to do with Neville.

Americanisms, bad spelling, new characters who come to Hogwarts in their 5th year and have something to hide.

Yes, but it wasn't very good. I don't mind doing one-shots but I'm not good at commiting to long stories.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old April 8th, 2008, 2:08 pm
Third Year

b) Alternate Universe

a) General
c) Action
d) Comedy

Something that does not focus too much on romance.

Too much focus on romance

No.

I've been a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer since the beginning, and I think I started reading fanfiction sometime around season four or five, which would have been about 8 years ago. I don't mind romance in these fanfictions, and I generally stick to Spike/Buffy fics, or general.

I've never written fanfiction. When I write, I prefer to use my own characters, because that way, I don't have to worry about out-of-character issues.

Good plot that draws you in from the first few chapters, and good grammar and spelling.

Bad spelling/grammar, and over-characterisation mostly.

C) Other Questions

People who throw smut in for the sake of it, like it's the only way they can get people to read their work.

I never really got into reading Harry Potter fanfiction until after DH came out. I found it hard to find fics that were not entirely focused on romance. And I think that was the problem when it came to the shipping wars we had pre-HBP. Some people who supported specific relationships and read fics based on those relationships got entirely to washed up in the whole thing, and got far too attached to their OTP. There's more to Harry Potter than romance, and it was never a major focus of the books.

Now that the series is finished, I don't mind it as much as I did, but I tend avoid fics involving more romance unless they have been highly recommended for having a really good plot as well.

Madison & Isabelle

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters.

Last edited by Angel26; April 8th, 2008 at 2:18 pm.
Old April 25th, 2008, 10:15 pm
Fourth Year

Questionaire:

d) Other (explain)

Well, I'll read any of these. The Marauder Era used to be my preferred era to read, but I do read anything. Especially since my two OTPs are Lily/James and Remus/Tonks. But I don't read as much next generation stuff.

b) Alternate Universe
c) Other

Alternate universes are my favorites. The majority of stories I read are alternate universes.

a) General
b) Romance
c) Action
d) Comedy
e) Other

All, basically. I write a lot of romance-centered stories, but I really like reading general stories. I hate it when I'm reading a really good alternate universe story and it gets ruined with a badly-placed pairing.

I think one of the most important things, to me anyway, is good grammar. I don't care how good or original the plot is, I won't read a story if the grammar is completely atrocious. A few mistakes here and there are fine, but I can't stand it when people don't proofread and edit. It's like they don't care enough about their story to use spellcheck or find a beta. If they don't care, why should I? Originality is fairly important when looking for stories. But I do let it slide a little in the Harry Potter fandom where there is so much stuff out there already, it's hard to find something that is truly and completely original. And, of course, none of it is technically original because it's all fan fiction.

I hate to see Peter Pettigrew portrayed as a completely evil 15-year-old or is too scared of his own shadow to say anything worthwhile or original. And I especially hate it when authors say something like this in their author's note: "Well, I hate Pettigrew so I'm just not going to include him in the story at all." That drives me crazy. I understand that people don't like the character (I don't really like him either), but ignoring him altogether is completely ridiculous in my opinion. Unless, someone was going to write an AU where Pettigrew hadn't been born and how that would have affected the Marauders. That I would read.

Yes, I have. Two completed chaptered fics. Two in-progress chaptered stories. Four one-shots. And several incompleted ideas scribbled in various notebooks and word documents.

I've written Rent, Charmed, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Supernatural, and Gilmore Girls. I'm also plotting out a Series of Unfortunate Events story, but I don't know I'll ever actually write it.

Again, good grammar is one of the most important things.

Er... Bad grammar. I hate it when people put author's notes in the middle of a story too. And I'm not a big fan of incestuous pairings, especially when the dominate the fandom (i.e. Wincest in Supernatural).

C) Other Questions

Other than what I've already listed above? Nothing immediately comes to mind

Old April 25th, 2008, 10:56 pm
Defender of Dogs

I love reading fan-fiction. I'm addicted to it all, although I avoid Snape-centered fanfics because I just can't stand him! Oh well. Yeah, I miss the Harry Potter world a ton, and ever since DH was released, I have been craving it. It's like an extension of the world Jo has created (although no ff will ever equal her wokr. ). I've never actually written some myself, though. I love to write, but I find I like it more when it is about people, places, and events who are my own creations, that way I'm not restricted on what can happen. I am a reader, not a writer of fan-fiction. I prefer just to stick to normal fiction for that.

Old April 30th, 2008, 10:38 pm
Second Year

I like Marauder Era alot, and well written Next Generations. Unless it's a missing moment, or about a minor character and canon compliant, I don't like Hogwarts Era ones, it just seems wrong. But I do love missing moments!

I won't read anything AU, I just can't get into it. The only exception I make is for 'After the End' and that's because I just pretend it happened after book seven (give or take a couple of bits).

I like them like my movies really, romantic comedies. A little bit of action is alright, but I don't like angsty dark stuff.

Well written, good characterisation, has ships I like, complies with canon and is funny as well. Fussy? Me? Nooo.

Bad writing makes me want to throw bricks, as do ships that I don't like. Spelling is quite important, but not the be all and end all, but characterisation is!

No, but I've got some ideas buzzing in my brain

I don't write any fanfic, but some Twilight is okay to read.

Pretty much the same as Harry Potter, good writing and characterisation.

Again, same as Harry Potter, bad writing, bad ships, bad characters.

C) Other Questions

As soon as the word 'Mione is said by anybody, I scream, exit the site, and clean my poor computer screen.

nerdfighter
i need to kick off and fly into the night
follow the red sparks and hold on tight
the higher we get the colder the wind whips in my face
and it feels like i'm breathing for the first time tonight

The stars are going out...the darkness is coming...
Old April 30th, 2008, 11:11 pm
do you want fries with that?

I am not a fan-fiction fan at all, just because I can never get myself interested in any of the stories, HP related or not. Not to say that I dont agree with writing fan-ficiton or anything, it just doesnt interest me. Its a great way for people to add their own aspects and perspectives to already exisitng ideas though. Writing fan-fiction takes alot of hard-work and patience, which is very admirable.

I have tried to try HP fanfiction once, several years ago. I got about two lines and and quit. Obviously it just doesnt suit me.

The Next Mesut Özil

(Although we must ignore the jersey)
Old May 2nd, 2008, 6:17 am
Fifth Year

What type do you generally like to read?
Lily/James is what I read most. I just love them. I also love ones more centred around the Marauders, especially James and Sirius. However it is extremely difficult to find a canon compliant one with no out of characterness.

What genre do you like in Harry Potter fan-fiction?
Romance for Lily/James. I also like reading a bit of James angst (though well written angst tends to be rare for James in my experience). I'm also dying to read some good action fics that show Lily and James defying Voldemort those three times. I like well written comedies (Dung Detention on Fanfiction.net for any marauder fans). James/Lily fluff is always good too

What do you particularly look for in Harry Potter fan-fiction?
Well written, characters that are canon compliant, has the ships I actually ship, and makes me actually feel something while reading. There are also certain storylines I sometimes look for (like a pregnant Lily, or Lily/James pre dating, or post marriage, etc.. - it depends on my mood).

What do you not like to see in Harry Potter fan-fiction?
Bad characterisation is my biggest pet peeve by far. If I read a passage where Lily is screaming at James for something stupid and throwing books at him, I stop reading. Constant grammer and spelling errors are annoying as well. I don't like reading about ships I don't like as well, but that's obvious

Have you written Harry Potter fan-fiction before?
Yeah.. years ago. I don't like it now Right now I just have plot bunnies that I never plan to write down.

Any Pet Peeves when it comes to fan-fiction?
Loads. Bookworm!Lily, uptight Lily who never breaks rules, Lily who constantly screams at James, Lily who throws books at James, Lily who's obsessed with perfect grades, James who's obsessed with Lily, James who constantly asks Lily out, despite the rejection, bookworm!Remus, a Remus smarter than Sirius and James, non existant Peter -
- basically anything I consider out of character

Old May 3rd, 2008, 1:42 am
Fourth Year

Marauder Era is the only Harry Potter fanfiction I read. I couldn't care less about any other era.

AU tends to go waaaayyyyy too out there for me. Or maybe that's just the AU fanfictions I have been reading.

b) Romance
d) Comedy
e)Other
I love James/Lily romance, Marauder comedy, and Sirius/Black family angst.

I like fanfictions that reveal a lot of insight into a character.

Character bashing.

Yes. But it was a one time thing.

B. General Fan-Fiction: (All other types of fan-fiction besides Harry Potter)

I haven't.

Writing that takes your breath away.

Mary-Sues and bad grammar.

Last edited by PerfectDystopia; May 25th, 2008 at 3:48 am.
Old May 17th, 2008, 11:29 am
Fourth Year

Questionaire:

Mainly marauder era, but I like any as long as it flows well.

I really don't mind if a story does not stick to the plot line intended, because it gives the writer a chance to use their own imagination instead of somone else's, even though JK's is amazing.

I like a bit of everything, really. Especially a bit of action, I like mystery in fiction, too.

Excellent writing and clever plots!

Unrealistic ships, and fanfiction that is based purley on the romance and has nothing else to it. Though, there are a select few who get away with doing this.

Yes, I'm still writing it now. (Thora Jinks) But it is my first fan-fiction.

B) General Fan-Fiction:

Haven't written any, but trying an Inheritance cycle (Eragon, Eldest) fan-fic would be really cool!

Same, a very good plotline.

Rubbish plotline and characters who aren't in character.

C) Other Questions

YES. Boring plotlines and Mary-sue's. I really HATE bad grammar and spelling.

but the worst crime of all to me: NO DESCRIPTION. grr

Utopia: Teddy Lupin - 2009+

Thora Jinks - 2008/2010

And if you're feeling it, take a look at my art!

Old May 21st, 2008, 3:14 am
Third Year

Quote:
“Well?” she demanded. “Wasn’t it the most wonderful thing you’ve ever read.”

“No!” he said, still staring openly at his friend. “First of all, Romeo has got to be the biggest schmuck I’ve ever encountered in literature!” Rose gaped at him. “Seriously, Rose!” he insisted. “At the start of the story he’s pining over some other girl, saying as how he can’t live without her. Then he sees Juliet and completely ditches the first girl!”

“That’s because Juliet was his true love! Rosaline was just –”

“No,” Scorpius said, cutting her off. “Juliet was just an infatuation that he didn’t live long enough to grow tired of.” Rose swatted him on the arm.
Good quote, very funny, but WOAH! That sounds exactly like part of the Twilight series! Stated on the characters who read Romeo and Juliet! Edward was watching Romeo and Juliet, the movie, with Bella, and she absolutely loves this movie. She has a slight crush on Romeo. And when she asks him if he likes it, he says he thought Romeo was stupid because he immediately switches girls because of their looks!

If anyone can find that direct quote from the book, I'd be happy to see it. I'm searching for it now... *flips through pages*

"The eyes are the window to the soul."

James was happier than he had been in a while. He laughed constantly when he was talking to her and he was always drawn into the conversation by her charming smile and her eyes – glittering gold, they were unlike anything James had ever seen. ~STOP AND STARE

Stop and Stare by me & MissProngs & Feedback ~ * ~ The Last Horcrux (Completed!) & feedback ~ * ~ Lovestruck & feedback

'Sirius Black is sexy, right?' Of course she was right. The best-looking, most rebellious, most dangerous of the four marauders.

I love Harry Potter and Twilight. It can happen without a war.
Old May 21st, 2008, 7:16 am
Sixth Year

I don't really read fanfiction by their time eras. I tend to read them based on the main characters in the stories. I like to read fan fictions about Snape, Lily, Dumbledore, and the future generations. So I suppose it's a, c, and d.

AUs annoy me. I like to stick with canon.

a) General
b) Romance
Those two are the ones I read most. I sometimes read comedies though, but I've found a lot of them aren't funny.

Correct grammar, something that doesn't become too AU, and a plot. I like it when the characters are as accurate as possible, though I can understand that that's often hard to do.

Incorrect grammar, terrible characterization, and anything that's way too AU. I also hate it when people write extremely short chapters and you have to keep constantly clicking. I just don't even bother with those anymore.

Heh, I'm afraid to say I have and still am, despite my best judgement. I usually write the most when I have a lot of free time on my hands.

-----------------

I've only attempted Harry Potter because that's the story I know best. I don't want to write anything innacurate or anything with completely wrong characterization, so I don't write about the things I don't know as much about.

The same things I like to see in Harry Potter fan fiction, really.

Same stuff as in the Harry Potter fan fiction.

Incorrect grammar is my number one pet peeve. If a story was completely stupid, but it was written in correct grammar, I wouldn't have a grudge. But incorrect grammar makes me tick like nothing else. In fact, it's my number one pet peeve outside of fan fiction land and in the real world as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_attack
Just a question for others who may know. HP fanfic confused me about this point: Is Blaise Zabini a girl or a boy?
I believe Blaise is a boy, although I always imagined him as a girl. I think I recall learning he was a boy a long time ago and I was surprised.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old May 23rd, 2008, 2:34 am
Ron's Pygmy Puff

a) General
b) Romance
c) Action
d) Comedy
(I like all of them, but b the most)

Interesting themes, good writing, keeping up with canon, nothing that seems too far out.

The Wizards being too Muggle or too American

Yes. *taps siggy*

I've written fanfic for Degrassi. It depends on whatever I'm fanning that day.

Good plots, uniqueness, pretty much the same as what I wrote for HP.

Immaturity, sex and all that junk

C) Other Questions

I hate slash. I also dislike it when people use terms like "orbs" to describe eyes. Come on, you don't do that in real life so why in a fanfic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathlyH View Post
Yeah, I miss the Harry Potter world a ton, and ever since DH was released, I have been craving it. It's like an extension of the world Jo has created (although no ff will ever equal her wokr. ).
That's how I feel. I like fanfiction because it keeps the characters alive.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old May 24th, 2008, 5:17 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipro2003 View Post
I have tried to try HP fanfiction once, several years ago. I got about two lines and and quit. Obviously it just doesnt suit me.
Are you sure you read a well-written story? Of course, it's possible that you just don't like it, but most people I know, thought it wasn't for them because they encountered a very badly written story and thought all fanfiction was like that... On fanfiction.net alone, there are loads of stories with grammar/spelling mistakes or plots that don't show any quality. Of course, there are also loads of well-written stories that might rival the original series in quality, but as the Harry Potter fandom is one of the biggest, it's also harder to find the gems...

Which is the reason that I sort of quit reading fanfiction, because it took way too much time to find nice stories to read. I started reading fanfiction in 2004 and then the fandom was a lot smaller than it's now - there were only 33 pages of stories counting +100K words, so it was easier to find the nice ones .

Usually, I look at the number of words - most stories with more than 100K words used to be well-written and well thought out - and I don't read anything with less than 1000 reviews anymore. There's just too much junk out there...

The story doesn't have to be set in the Hogwarts years, but I like it when it's about Harry & co, yes . There is an exception, however - I also like to read about Severus Snape.

b) Alternate Universe

I already know what JKR wrote... I like to know what others can make of it, using the same setting. I like 'normal' AU's (in which, for instance, Sirius didn't die or something) but I also like 'real' AU's - in which it takes place in a whole other universe (like Harry going back in time etc.)

e) Other

I'm not sure whether it's allowed to discuss such things here - I apologize in advance if it's not and I don't mind the following paragraph being deleted at all
Angst. Well-written angst that isn't over the top. That's a pity - the cliches like Harry being tortured by Voldemort or being abused by Vernon are being re-used again and again and almost all stories dealing with angst that are written now, are not of the quality that they used to be.
For instance, I found a promising looking story featuring Harry and Snape - Harry was captured by Voldemort and being tortured, and Snape was going to rescue him. Well, I was a bit disgusted at the lack of effort that was put into the story - Harry trusted Snape immediately, while that isn't realistic at all. Also, some authors seem to think that, as long as they put lots of horrific scenes in their story, it's a good story - which, of course, isn't true.

Uhm... Realistic characterization or something... It has to be well written, but I don't really know what well-written means for me... Usually, it means that the story is quite long and that the author really put an effort in creating his plot. It's like... In my opinion, an author should approach their story like a real story, they should write it like it's a book, because then they'll care about quality. Or something.

The things I described above... Also, there are many 'excesses'. Everyone who knows a bit of Harry Potter fanfiction, will understand what I mean. I think there are limits to what you can do with characters.

I've written one story in Dutch - it was a bit of a self-insert. I still like the idea though, but I'm not going to finish it. (It was 65k ).

1) What stories do you like to write fan-fiction for? (Other than Harry Potter
None .

The same amount of quality that I see in some HP fanfiction. There are so many genres and types of stories to pick from, writers put in a real effort for their story... I'd like to see that in other fandoms as well.

The lack of quality I described above :P.

C) Other Questions

The excessed I mentioned... Also, I don't like slash, but not all writers care about putting a warning on their stories. It's horrible to start reading a very promising story and then realizing that it's slash...

Old May 24th, 2008, 11:06 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChingChuan View Post
Usually, I look at the number of words - most stories with more than 100K words used to be well-written and well thought out - and I don't read anything with less than 1000 reviews anymore. There's just too much junk out there...
I found that this approach doesn't work anymore either. I came across too many stories with tons of reviews, in which people were only chatting or begging the writer to not end the story with a forced cliffhanger.

Old May 31st, 2008, 12:40 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
I found that this approach doesn't work anymore either. I came across too many stories with tons of reviews, in which people were only chatting or begging the writer to not end the story with a forced cliffhanger.
I tend to look for a fanfiction with less reviews. If a fic hasn't got many reviews, it doesn't mean it's bad, it just means it hasn't got many reviews.

I tried a fic with LOTS of reviews and there was all this hype over it, and then it just completley didn't capture me. So not all popular fics are going to be better than the ones without reviews.

Then again, I'll give anything a chance.

Utopia: Teddy Lupin - 2009+

Thora Jinks - 2008/2010

And if you're feeling it, take a look at my art!

Old May 31st, 2008, 12:45 am
Second Year

Yeah, sometimes the ones with less reviews are good too.

But they have to have a good summary...Otherwise I don't bother reading them.

When you 'bless my cotton socks,' please don't bless my cotton socks.

I wear Gold - Plated, diamond encrusted ones!

So indeed, it should be....'Bless your gold - plated, diamond encrusted socks'.

Toodles.

Proud member of GSWIA! (Guys Sound Wow with an Irish Accent!)
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction