Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Computer & Video Games

Xbox 360 Discussion

Old October 5th, 2007, 2:09 pm
Superman

Xbox 360 Discussion

Here is a place to discuss the Xbox 360 console.

Here we can discuss games, hardware, and sales and speculate about the future. What's in store for the system? And will it be a success?

This thread is not for discussion of the Playstation 3 or for the Wii. Both those consoles have their own threads for discussion

To start of the discussion, I'd just like to say I was hugely impressed at how well Halo 3 did in its opening week. Whilst I expected it to be huge I didn't expect it to be that huge. I've enjoyed playing the game so far, what about everyone else?

Ronald Weasley is Harry's best friend, best known to his peers as living proof that God doesn't exist.

Hermione Granger is Harry's other friend. She possesses the "plot device", a mystical artifact famed for its ability to counter the feared Wryter's Block.

Ginny Weasley The girl Harry loves. Without her, Harry would have been just as emo in the sixth book as he was in the fifth book.

Source: Uncyclopedia
Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2007, 2:14 pm
Third Year

Re: Xbox 360 Discussion

Halo 3!!! That's a fun game; I don't know if a lot of people have played it yet, but it's fun! How does everyone like the weapons? I myself really like them! There a vast improvement for me compared to Halo 2's weapons. So anyway, yeah, it's a really fun game!

Old October 5th, 2007, 2:16 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Well i'm enjoying Halo 3. Which is a good thing as i bought an Xbox 360 Elite to play it on
I'm looking forward to Call of Duty 4, i did have the beta but i never got round to playing it (it's closed now). Other than that i think those new controllers for the 360 are a bit silly looking (you'll get 4 of them with the Scene it game that is coming out for the 360 in November i think).

Old October 5th, 2007, 2:27 pm
Superman

Call of Duty 4 looks pretty promising although I've never been a fan of war games. Still a modern war might be able to through up a few new things.

The game I'm most looking forward to is Mass Effect, given Bioware's track record it should be amazing and a must-have game for Christmas.

Ronald Weasley is Harry's best friend, best known to his peers as living proof that God doesn't exist.

Hermione Granger is Harry's other friend. She possesses the "plot device", a mystical artifact famed for its ability to counter the feared Wryter's Block.

Ginny Weasley The girl Harry loves. Without her, Harry would have been just as emo in the sixth book as he was in the fifth book.

Source: Uncyclopedia
Old October 5th, 2007, 3:59 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Since I'm thinking about a 360, I would like to ask some questions.
I was pricing out the elite system, what's the difference between that one and the other one? (not the "core" system, but the upgrade one)
Is there a lot of problems with used systems? Is it better to just buy new?
What's with the backward compatablity? I understand some old Xbox games can't play on the 360.
I think that's it for now. Thanks!

Old October 5th, 2007, 4:05 pm
First Year

I have a question, has anyone got Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix for the Xbox 360? If so, where do you find the Potions book for Snape's little mini quiz thing? I have been to the library, tried every shelf and I can't 'accio' any book or find it anywhere :-s Now I am stuck because I can't get this book.

Also I am stuck on something else,can't remember what right now, but will check that later and ask.

Sig by the Magical Cybobbie

The Gator Fan Club

Old October 5th, 2007, 4:24 pm
Genius Loci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picko View Post
The game I'm most looking forward to is Mass Effect, given Bioware's track record it should be amazing and a must-have game for Christmas.
Definitely a must-have game. The previews have looked amazing so far.

I'm looking forward to Assassin's Creed as well. That's going to be a really fascinating game. I might get it for the PC though, depending on other factors.

I bought Fifa 08 at the weekend and it's a bloody difficult game to get into. A lot different to Fifa 07 in that you can't adopt the same old play style. But I've managed to go top of the league as Wigan Athletic in one of my sessions!

Old October 5th, 2007, 6:08 pm
Trelawney's Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth
I'm looking forward to Assassin's Creed as well.
I can't wait.

Has anyone bought Two Worlds? I was wanting to get it, but then heard it got bad reviews...any opinions?

My Xbox just got back from being serviced after the "red lights of doom"...everything went soothly. And in actuality, they sent a completely new Xbox, because a mark on mine was mysteriously missing.

Also, it turns out I'm much better at Halo 3 online than Halo 2. I wonder why that is

Old October 5th, 2007, 7:36 pm
Fifth Year

Halo 3 is great, I've been playing it online a lot more too. on my friends list, all I ever see lately is a list of "Halo 3."

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapegirl77 View Post
I was pricing out the elite system, what's the difference between that one and the other one? (not the "core" system, but the upgrade one)
What's with the backward compatablity? I understand some old Xbox games can't play on the 360.
The elite system is black instead of white and has more storage capacity (120 GB) Since it's fairly difficult to replace the 360 hard drive, if you need that much space, you should probably go with that. If not, there are no other differences. Aside from specs, I've noticed that my elite tends to freeze a lot more than my last 360 (which was given up due to the red rings of death)

If you can get a used system from a trustworthy source, I'm sure that'll be fine.

The 360 is, for the most part, not backwards compatible. Some games will work (I've been playing the original Halo on it, looks great)

Old October 5th, 2007, 7:52 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPoofBall View Post
Halo 3 is great, I've been playing it online a lot more too. on my friends list, all I ever see lately is a list of "Halo 3."

The elite system is black instead of white and has more storage capacity (120 GB) Since it's fairly difficult to replace the 360 hard drive, if you need that much space, you should probably go with that. If not, there are no other differences. Aside from specs, I've noticed that my elite tends to freeze a lot more than my last 360 (which was given up due to the red rings of death)

If you can get a used system from a trustworthy source, I'm sure that'll be fine.

The 360 is, for the most part, not backwards compatible. Some games will work (I've been playing the original Halo on it, looks great)
Thanks!
I've heard about the red rings of death. It seems to happen to quite a few 360's. Is the problem getting better?

Old October 5th, 2007, 8:30 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
I have the Elite. It's better value than getting a Premium console.
You get a 120gb hard drive, HDMI port, HDMI cable, HDMI audio dongle (for hooking upto a home cinema amp etc) and it has new heatsinks on the GPU and CPU's. I've heard some of the newer Premiums have started to ship with the 65nm CPU's, but that's a fat lot of good when most of the time it's the GPU that causes the red rings of death. However if you do get the Red Ring of Death, Microsoft will fix it for free (i think anyway).
It's not diffcult to replace the Xbox 360's Hard Drive, it's just a bit expensive.

Last edited by Kevin; October 11th, 2007 at 6:45 pm.
Old October 11th, 2007, 2:37 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Thanks!
I've heard about the red rings of death. It seems to happen to quite a few 360's. Is the problem getting better?
From what I hear, it seems to happen to around 1 out of 3 xbox owners, maybe less but so far, so good. I would think by now, they've corrected this if you bought a new one. As for backwards compatibility, most games will work on the 360 but there's still a handful that don't. You can go to MS, xbox website with a comprehensive list of what will run and there's always periodic updates you can download. Hasn't been a problem for me since I never had the original xbox but I finally got to play Halo 1 and Star Wars Knight of the Old Republic (Highly recommended.)

"You know, Minister, I disagree with Dumbledore on many counts
...but you cannot deny he's got style..."-Phineas Nigellus
Old October 11th, 2007, 6:46 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

They've started to release the falcon based Xbox 360's (65nm parts), on the limited edition halo 3 consoles, it'll start to trickle through to the other SKU's given time.
The Elite has got a massive heatsink sitting on the GPU, which is the main reason for most Red rings of death (it gets extremely hot).

Old October 11th, 2007, 7:46 pm
Fifth Year

If you can get the 360 Intercooler Cooling Fan, it's helped a lot with my Elite. I had one for my old 360 too and it still got the red rings, but it does help I'm sure.

On another note, I hear Unreal Tournament 3 got delayed.

Old October 12th, 2007, 4:40 am
Fifth Year

I too am looking into buying a 360 (mostly because of Halo 3, but I have wanted one for a while). An elite package is deffinately out of the question pricewise, but I'm wondering: is buying the XBox 360 complete package worth it over the core?

Old October 12th, 2007, 11:35 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPoofBall View Post
If you can get the 360 Intercooler Cooling Fan, it's helped a lot with my Elite. I had one for my old 360 too and it still got the red rings, but it does help I'm sure.

On another note, I hear Unreal Tournament 3 got delayed.
My Elite is fine (i have it upright, cools more easily that way).
From what i've heard Microsoft aren't too keen on people using those kinds of fans on the Xbox 360's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmcminn View Post
I too am looking into buying a 360 (mostly because of Halo 3, but I have wanted one for a while). An elite package is deffinately out of the question pricewise, but I'm wondering: is buying the XBox 360 complete package worth it over the core?
Save your cash up and go for the Elite, it's the best value version of the 360. But if you really can't afford one then go for the next model down.
The core system is being replaced with an Arcade based Xbox 360. I believe it'll come with a 256mb memory card preloaded with games off Xbox Live Arcade and it'll have a wireless controller. And thats about it.
A hard drive is pretty much essitential if you want to download demo's off Xbox live.

Last edited by Kevin; October 12th, 2007 at 11:41 am.
Old October 12th, 2007, 6:30 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

OK, I'm going slightly nuts with my X-box. I bought a very 'core' X-box 360 last year as I've always wanted to play Doom 3 (being a big fan of numbers 1 and 2). It is my first console ever and it took me a week to figure out that I couldn't play the Arcade game I got with it untill I bought a memory pack. So for awhile I used it just as a DVD player, but last month I finally got the pack. Now I can play the games but only up to a certain point, it says something about I can only go on if I get/conect to X-box 'live'. Infact the game that came with my X-box 360 is called X-box Live arcade unplugged.
Now for my questions, can I only play X-box 360 'live' games on my console? Or do I have to search for the games that are not 'live'? What does becoming 'live' entail? Can I safely buy Halo 3 and still be able to play even if I'm not 'live'?
As you can see I'm a complete techno pleb and just switching the darn thing on is a wow for me.
Oh and if and when I finally find Doom 3 can I play it on my 360 even if it states on the cover that it's for a normal X-box (ie non 360)?

thanks.

Old October 12th, 2007, 7:02 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
OK, I'm going slightly nuts with my X-box. I bought a very 'core' X-box 360 last year as I've always wanted to play Doom 3 (being a big fan of numbers 1 and 2). It is my first console ever and it took me a week to figure out that I couldn't play the Arcade game I got with it untill I bought a memory pack. So for awhile I used it just as a DVD player, but last month I finally got the pack. Now I can play the games but only up to a certain point, it says something about I can only go on if I get/conect to X-box 'live'. Infact the game that came with my X-box 360 is called X-box Live arcade unplugged.
Now for my questions, can I only play X-box 360 'live' games on my console? Or do I have to search for the games that are not 'live'? What does becoming 'live' entail? Can I safely buy Halo 3 and still be able to play even if I'm not 'live'?
As you can see I'm a complete techno pleb and just switching the darn thing on is a wow for me.
Oh and if and when I finally find Doom 3 can I play it on my 360 even if it states on the cover that it's for a normal X-box (ie non 360)?

thanks.
Your console will play all Xbox 360 games. I think you should just create an Xbox Live account for yourself if you can. It's pretty easy to register and it gives you access to the Marketplace. Personally, I feel that Xbox Live is the console's best selling point.

You'll be able to play Halo 3, but since you have the core system, I'm not sure you'll be able to play Doom 3. The core system isn't backwards compatible because it doesn't include the hard drive. I think if you install the hard drive into your console, you'll be able to play Doom 3, but not with just the memory unit.

Edit: You can call Xbox Support and ask them too, they have a pretty good service. 1-800-4MY-XBOX

Last edited by YellowPoofBall; October 12th, 2007 at 7:07 pm.
Old October 12th, 2007, 7:32 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Simple solution is to buy an xbox 360 hard drive. The memory units will only take you so far. The 360 uses the hard drive as a cache for most games.
As for Xbox live ? Just create a gamertag via the console, the default level is silver membership, if you want to play games online i.e. Halo 3 multiplayer games then you need the Gold account, which you have to pay for.
However there are several ways to pay i.e. you can buy 12 month Xbox live membership cards in the shops or pay monthly via credit or debit cards and so on.

Old October 13th, 2007, 7:34 am
Hogwarts Graduate

OK, thanks guys, I'll look into the hard drive