Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Computer & Video Games

Bioshock

Old October 5th, 2007, 12:54 pm
Genius Loci

Bioshock

Anyone played this game on the 360 or the PC? I know I have and it's as disturbing in it's story as it is amazingin its gameplay and content. Bioshock is an FPS-RPG, where you play a man who is involved in a plane crash in the Atlantic in 1960 and you find your way to a lighthouse, which acts as a conduit to a massive underwater city called Rapture, where everything is different...

Here's a brief about the story, from wikipedia:

The game takes place during 1960 in Rapture, a fictional underwater city secretly built in 1946 on the mid-Atlantic seabed, entirely self-sufficient and powered by submarine volcanoes. Constructed by business magnate Andrew Ryan, Rapture was envisioned as the only place on Earth that could support individualism, and populated by those Ryan believed exemplified the best in humanity. During the early 1950s, this population peaked at several thousand, though ranks of elite emerged from the rest, discomforting many.

The discovery of "ADAM," stem cells created from a species of sea slug, by Dr. Bridgette Tennenbaum further upset the social balance. ADAM's prevalence greatly accelerated genetic engineering research, creating a plasmid industry that sold everything from a cure for male pattern baldness to abilities like telekinesis, with active types like the latter requiring a serum, "EVE." In order to improve ADAM yields, the "Little Sisters" were created, young girls with the slug embedded in their bodies. Although initially just ADAM "factories," during the war (see below) they were repurposed via mental conditioning to extract ADAM from the dead, and process it within themselves. The "Big Daddies," armed and highly-enhanced humans in diving suits, were simultaneously created to defend the Little Sisters as they worked.

Old October 5th, 2007, 1:52 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Bioshock

It's one of the games i've been playing quite a lot (the other is Halo 3).
It's a great game, quite spooky in places and makes the blood pump when you are fighting the Big Daddies to get the little sisters.
I'm stuck with the fish market bit at the momment.
Though i guess i'll figure out what to do, i can spend ages being stuck, then go oooh thats what you do. Then i slap my head and go DOH!

Old October 5th, 2007, 7:17 pm
Fifth Year

The gameplay is wonderful, but like you said, that story is really disturbing. While I loved the idea of underwater habitation, I haven't finished the game because it is really unsettling. I absolutely did not like having to shoot so many little girls and women.

Old October 5th, 2007, 7:53 pm
Genius Loci

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPoofBall View Post
The gameplay is wonderful, but like you said, that story is really disturbing. While I loved the idea of underwater habitation, I haven't finished the game because it is really unsettling. I absolutely did not like having to shoot so many little girls and women.
I chose to exercise the little girls rather than harvest them. I hated the idea of pulling that slug out of them.
Apparently in an early version of the game, you actually get to see the girls being cut up but it was cut out due to the gross images, which I think was wise in the circumstances.

Old October 5th, 2007, 8:25 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
I chose to exercise the little girls rather than harvest them. I hated the idea of pulling that slug out of them.
Apparently in an early version of the game, you actually get to see the girls being cut up but it was cut out due to the gross images, which I think was wise in the circumstances.
I harvest one, set one free! That's my system. Possibly also a bad joke or pun.

Old October 5th, 2007, 8:29 pm
Sixth Year

I wish I could get this game, I really do, but it's slightly overpriced here in SA (R450 as opposed to the standard R300). If it were R300, I'd buy it, but R450+ is pushing it too far. I saw it on a friend of mine's PC and it is amazing. *sighs* I'll wait for it to come out on budget then.

Old October 5th, 2007, 8:43 pm
Unloved by all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewsTherin View Post
I wish I could get this game, I really do, but it's slightly overpriced here in SA (R450 as opposed to the standard R300). If it were R300, I'd buy it, but R450+ is pushing it too far. I saw it on a friend of mine's PC and it is amazing. *sighs* I'll wait for it to come out on budget then.
Like Halo 3 its going to hit "classic: Status pretty quick. Six months they reckon and the price will of gone through the floor

Know Lani... Love Lani... ^_^
Old October 6th, 2007, 8:53 pm
Sixth Year

I'd put Bioshock up with the best games I've ever played, and I'm really hard to please when it comes to games. Hearing Beyond the Sea at the beginning was haunting. I can't look at that song the same anymore. The art deco scenery was great. And the insanity of whole place really started to freak me out the further in I played.
I think this is probably the best example of a video game becoming a piece of art.

Old October 6th, 2007, 9:27 pm
Genius Loci

Did anyone have problems with the PC-version and it's authentication issues? It took me 3 hours to sort the installation problems out. I had to disable all security software I had on my computer, which didn't impress me in the least.

Old April 14th, 2008, 8:29 pm
First Year

I played it and really enjoyed it. There's a lot of F.E.A.R and System Shock 2 in there (not to mention Half-Life 2's gravity gun). The way they did the story was almost identical to System Shock 2 and I found myself thinking fondly of that game (which, I think, is superior to Bioshock). And the atmosphere was great, not on par with Half-Life 2 or STALKER, but still incredibly life like and believable. But I don't think it was that scary or unsettling. I played F.E.A.R and no game has scared or unsettled me since.

I would have loved to see a knife, though. Why do more FPS games not include a knife for a quick sneak-up-from-behind kill? BF2 did it, and so did STALKER. Bioshock would have benefited greatly from that kind of approach.

And, was anyone else disappointed by the final boss? After the Big Daddies, I expected something tough, but the last battle was ridiculously easy.

Old November 24th, 2008, 5:24 am
First Year

BioShock is the top game on my favorite game list, and technically I haven't finished it yet, but that's because I don't really want it to be over. Plus, I'm easy scared and having things jump out at me leaves me playing the game in short stints to protect my sanity. I only have the last boss battle left. But I absolutely love the game. The whole story line is amazing, the idea of plasmids is awesome, and I love the scenery.

When it came to the Little Sisters, I never harvested any of them even though you get more ADAM. I rescued them all. In fact, fighting the Big Daddies was initially kinda scary to me, but as I went along, I looked forward to them because of the challenge they represented.

I will do the last battle soon, and then I will start over again and use my camera more to get the bonuses. I used it quite a bit, but I never quite got all the bonuses.

Old November 24th, 2008, 11:16 pm
First Year

This game is absolutely amazing, I have it, but for some reason I just haven't got through it, or even really that far into it. I enjoy it every time I play, but just haven't sat down and played it for a long period of time like I need to. I think I have just neglected it for different games, that for whatever reason I can sit down and play for a longer period of time.

Old December 12th, 2008, 2:54 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

I'm getting Bioshock for the PS3 for Christmas. I heard so many great things about it, I can't wait to play.

Old December 20th, 2008, 6:17 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeZero View Post
And, was anyone else disappointed by the final boss? After the Big Daddies, I expected something tough, but the last battle was ridiculously easy.
Now that I've finished the game, I would definitely have to agree with you. It's still my favorite game of all time, but I do have to admit that I was disappointed in the final battle. Other fights were much more challenging.

Old February 10th, 2009, 4:23 pm
Third Year

My brother is playing the game right now and it looks really awesome. The story, and graphics and the whole thing in general is amazing.

When I was reading about Bioshock, I read that they might be considering making a movie based on the game, and they're coming out with a sequel to Bioshock some time this year.

Old August 25th, 2009, 3:59 am
Second Year

The greatest video game of all time IMO

"Where Dwell The Brave at Heart"
Old August 25th, 2009, 4:24 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Bioshock 2 releases this Christmas season. I'm curious to see what the online part is all about. I read that there is a different storyline ( a prequel of sorts) from the single player game. Although I'm not a big online player, I'll have to check it out just for the added story.

Old March 30th, 2010, 10:14 pm
First Year

Awesome game, i have it on PS3 and it's sequel as well.

The game has that "City of Lost Children" and "Dark City" feel to it, does anyone agree? same steampunk Sci-fi fantasy like those.

Old July 8th, 2011, 7:26 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethirdman View Post
I'd put Bioshock up with the best games I've ever played, and I'm really hard to please when it comes to games. Hearing Beyond the Sea at the beginning was haunting. I can't look at that song the same anymore. The art deco scenery was great. And the insanity of whole place really started to freak me out the further in I played.
I think this is probably the best example of a video game becoming a piece of art.
Everything you said, plus, I love the statement it makes and how the audio diaries are how we learn about important characters. I really enjoy the audio diaries a thousand times more than a fifteen sec cutscene.

Old July 8th, 2011, 9:38 pm
First Year

I have it for the PC, and yes, it is disturbing, but that is half the appeal. I love disturbing games, and very fwe can pique my interest. I have also grown very fond of Silent Hill 2, as I think it is probably the most disturbing, thrilling game ever made.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Computer & Video Games