Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Computer & Video Games

Animal Crossing

Old June 8th, 2007, 12:19 am
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

Re: Animal Crossing

If you have internet access, you could get wifi in your own home. You can even buy a special little adapter that fits into your usb drive and it will send a wifi signal out to your DS so you can access the wifi features of any games you might have. There is an example of one of those here, but you don't have to buy it from Nintendo. It will most likely be the most compatible with your system, but you could go to your local electronics store and ask them to help you find one you can use. If you have a wireless router, you can just use that. There are instructions on setting up wifi in your game, but I can always try to help you if you'd like. Just let me know!

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2007, 12:47 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Really? My Dad and I were always under the impression that wifi isn't available here. How would I go about getting it?

Do I have to have wifi and that adapter both or just one or the other? I'd appreciate any help you could give me.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old June 8th, 2007, 1:19 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

I'm not sure what my case is, then. All I know is that there are open wifi networks floating around (that's how I get the internet to work on my laptop. It catches the network through an air port...). However, is it possible for me to use those on a DS, or do I actually need a router/something to physically plug in?

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old June 8th, 2007, 1:27 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I don't think you need one but I could be entirely wrong. Go see Copper and choose "Friend code!". See what happens.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old June 8th, 2007, 1:49 am

I warn you, I am so not a techie, so I will help as best I can.

Wifi is a wireless internet signal. My modem happens to have wifi capability, so I didn't have to purchase a wireless router for my husband's laptop. It sends out a wireless signal (though ours in encrypted and you must have our code to use our signal) that I receive with my DS. I have put in my code to bypass the security, and can access wifi freely with my DS, regardless of the game.
If you have a wireless router, you have wifi capabilities. If you have a desktop hooked up to an internet connection, you can use a small USB adapter and plug it into any empty USB port in your computer and set up a wifi signal with it. That's what the product in the link I provided before does.
Once you have a wifi signal to use, you can look at the booklet that came with your game and follow the steps there to set up your friend code. You cannot get a friend code without a signal, as each code is specific to the player in the game (you have up to four) and the DS you are using. I believe it is a 10-digit code, though my memory could be failing me at the moment.

Let me know if you need more help than that, and I will try my best.

EDIT
Let me give you a step-by step process that should work for you, iggy.
Put your AC:WW game into your DS and turn it on. Choose your game. On the menu, choose "other things" and it will provide a "Wi-Fi settings" option. Go ahead and connect to Nintendo WFC (it should work if you are able to connect to the internet with your laptop). Follow the instructions. Pick 1, 2, or 3 and choose "search for access point". It should come up with all of the ones in your area. Those with a little red lock next to them mean you will need the WEP access key, but if you can get online without that on your laptop, then you should be able to get a signal that doesn't require it. You can save up to three access points. You'll know you can use one if it has a blue lock that is open. If the connection tests out okay, you can start playing your games through wifi!
Now you'll go back to the main title of your game and choose "continue". Go to Copper and find out what your wifi code is. He'll be amazed that you don't have one yet, and will explain the system of swapping codes. He'll ask if you would like a friend code, and you need to choose "yes". It will ask if you are willing to permanently connect your game to the DS you are using with it. Then you get your code, and we swap them. To add a code into your list, look at your menu (the one where you choose tools and such) and tap the heart at the end. Hit "register" and enter the friend code and the name of the town and the person you swapped with does the same. Now you're ready to visit and just have to figure out who is going to host and who will be visiting.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Last edited by mexicant; June 8th, 2007 at 2:23 am.
Old June 8th, 2007, 2:15 am
Hogwarts Graduate

So, even if I, myself, don't have wifi...I should be able to tap into it because I have a laptop? So, if I were to try and get a code right now, I should be able to?

Or, because I'm on dial-up, will I need one of those connectors?

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old June 8th, 2007, 2:26 am

Do you dial-up with your laptop? If not, how do you connect?

Old June 8th, 2007, 2:57 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicant View Post
Do you dial-up with your laptop?
Yes.

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old June 8th, 2007, 2:58 am

I just tried it out, and I couldn't connect, so it didn't issue me a friend code.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old June 8th, 2007, 3:06 am

Well, DarkDays, I would suggest looking into that USB adapter. If you follow that link I posted, you can actually test your computer's compatibility with it.

Iggy, my only advice to you is to try connecting at internet hot spots (I know Starbucks offers wifi to customers, and you might be able to tap into that) until you get your own internet connection.

Old June 8th, 2007, 3:15 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Well, DarkDays, I would suggest looking into that USB adapter. If you follow that link I posted, you can actually test your computer's compatibility with it.
Thanks, I still have that page up.

Anyone know what all those four-leaf clover patches are for? Are they considered weeds or not? I picked one a while back and kept it but the ones I've picked since then all disappeared like weeds. My brother just picked one (in my town...thief...) and was able to keep it...wonder why...

In order to use the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB connector, you will need:
  • PC (The Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector is not Mac compatible)
  • Windows XP
  • A high-speed internet connection (such as DSL or cable)
  • and, of course, an original style Nintendo DS, Nintendo DS Lite or Wii console system.

Uh oh...

I don't know if I have a "high-speed" internet connection. I know it says "Accelerated Internet" but I want to be sure that connector would work with that dial up service.

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old June 8th, 2007, 3:22 am

They are weeds, but once in a while you pick a "four-leafed clover" which raises your luck.

I direct you to this Animal Crossing site for questions you may have on the game. It is a very family-friendly site, but if you don't like leetspeak and chatspeak I recommend staying away from the boards. I know I do...but it's great for all of your questions on the games.
There is a specific AC:WW section on the sidebar.

Old June 8th, 2007, 3:30 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Thanks.

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old June 8th, 2007, 3:36 am

The four-leafed clover raises your luck? Cool. I got one once, and it's probably buried somewhere in my biue cabinet....

I hope I didn't sell it.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old June 8th, 2007, 3:57 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Did you guys know, when you're playing with someone else through a DS to DS connection, that you can't see each other's fish or bugs...and yet, you can scare off each other's bugs. Kind of stupid...

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old June 8th, 2007, 4:54 am

I haven't heard that before. Are you sure it isn't just a glitch in one of your games? That doesn't happen when you play wifi.

Old June 8th, 2007, 5:13 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
I haven't heard that before. Are you sure it isn't just a glitch in one of your games? That doesn't happen when you play wifi.
I don't know...I wasn't sure if it was even posisble or not so I tried to block my brother from running down by just in case but right around me he went and as soon as he got to the tree, the bug flew away. I told him that he'd just scared a bug away and he said, "I didn't see a bug." I told him it was right on the tree and he said, "I can't see your bugs." and I said, "Well, they can see you."

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old June 10th, 2007, 4:24 am
Third Year

I have the game for the DS. It's like, sometimes it boring and stuff, but you still want to go on everyday to see what Tom Nook and the Able Sisters have, and to see what special character is there.

~~Proud Owner of J.K.Rowling's Autograph~~

Fanfiction.net: Search 'Author'--imagine131
(Currently 2 Avatar fics posted)
Fictionpress.com: Search 'Author'--imagine131
(Currently 1 General fic posted)
Old June 12th, 2007, 11:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntricateLogic View Post
I have the game for the DS. It's like, sometimes it boring and stuff, but you still want to go on everyday to see what Tom Nook and the Able Sisters have, and to see what special character is there.
I know exactly what you mean. I go through kicks.
All of a sudden in April I decided I wanted the snowman set, so I went back in time and got the whole set. Now my scores from the HRA are getting really high.

Old June 14th, 2007, 3:31 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
All of a sudden in April I decided I wanted the snowman set, so I went back in time and got the whole set. Now my scores from the HRA are getting really high.
I think I'm up to about 55,000 points now but the HRA keeps telling me that dressers are useless when facing the wall so I went back through my entire house and checked every dresser I own and not a one is facing the wall. I'm now beginning to wonder if the HRA's replies are just generic junk...maybe the 50,000 to 59,999 reply is the "dresser" reply.

I think my score on the Gamecube version is as high as it is because I actually went through the trouble of acquiring a whole set of furniture and setting everything up according to their Feng Shui guide. I decided, this time around, that I'm just going to buy what I want and set it up. My upstairs room is my favorite and not a single piece of furniture matches.

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Computer & Video Games