Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Computer & Video Games

Playstation 2 Discussion

Old October 6th, 2007, 7:46 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Playstation 2 Discussion

This thread is for general discussion of the PS2 game system. Have fun!

I've owned a PS2 for about a year (got it on discount right after the PS3 came out). I have mostly sports games, and I'm sadly lacking in strategy game(s). I'm a casual gamer, so something that's super time-consuming isn't right for me. Any recommendations? (I'm also not the type to pay $50 for a brand-new game - i'll take the year or two old game for $20 instead )

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2007, 2:19 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Re: Playstation 2 Discussion

I'd recommend Draken: The Ancients' Gates, it's one of the best RPG/Action-Adventure games that I have ever played for the PS2 and it has pretty good controls and the game play and graphics are nice as well. By the way, a friend of mine just got a used copy of this game for around $9 recently at a video game store. So it's worth shopping around if you don't mind buying used games .

It's been a long time since the last time that I played mine though -- around 2 years, I have to clean it out and play it somemore, when I get the chance to -- there are some good games out for it, that I'd like to get the chance to play .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old October 16th, 2007, 1:54 am
Fourth Year

I did the same as you chparadise!! I got my PS2 when the new generation of consoles was released! The PS2 was really cheap and since I was always a Nintendo consumer I have the oportunity to play a lot of games that are completely new for me (PS2 only). So I bought the console with 20 games that I got with a great discount!

I love RPG, adventure and strategy games. The ones that I tried so far and liked are:
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy VII (Dirge of Cerberus)
God of War I
Shadow of Rome
Bully (really funny and not politicaly correct)
Dragon Quest VIII (the one that I'm playing now)

I don't know anything about good sport games, so I can't help you in this area, sorry.

Old October 16th, 2007, 2:27 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Working on FFX now myself . Guys at Vid store recommended it and I haven't been sad. Might work on X-2 or another similar game after that...if I have the time.

Could still use a good recommendation for something along the lines of the old Aerobiz or Genghis Khan games on the Super Nintendo system - something turn-based that doesn't rely on reflexes, just strategy .

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Old October 16th, 2007, 2:53 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
I'd recommend Draken: The Ancients' Gates, it's one of the best RPG/Action-Adventure games that I have ever played for the PS2 and it has pretty good controls and the game play and graphics are nice as well. By the way, a friend of mine just got a used copy of this game for around $9 recently at a video game store. So it's worth shopping around if you don't mind buying used games .

It's been a long time since the last time that I played mine though -- around 2 years, I have to clean it out and play it somemore, when I get the chance to -- there are some good games out for it, that I'd like to get the chance to play .
That game was awesome. I played a demo of it, I had some good times with the game.

Old October 16th, 2007, 4:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentZero View Post
That game was awesome. I played a demo of it, I had some good times with the game.
Yes it was, I got a friend of mine to play it and he had a blast. I look forward to playing some more of it when I get the chance to. I just love being able to fly on the back of a dragon and take down enemies with magic and other means !

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Old October 16th, 2007, 2:46 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
Working on FFX now myself . Guys at Vid store recommended it and I haven't been sad. Might work on X-2 or another similar game after that...if I have the time.

Could still use a good recommendation for something along the lines of the old Aerobiz or Genghis Khan games on the Super Nintendo system - something turn-based that doesn't rely on reflexes, just strategy .
I'm glad that you're enjoying! You will like FFVII too, is quite different but great too (a bit more difficult, at least for me). I got a new game today (present ) called Shadow of Rome (is an old title but they say is very good). It's a mix of action and strategy, since there are two characters, one is Agrippa (the action one that have to fight) and the other is Octavianus (for info gathering and puzzle solving) and looks like you have to play as both. I'll play it when I have time, because I'm working a lot lately, so my PS2 is getting dusty!!!!

Old November 4th, 2007, 4:42 pm
Fifth Year

God of War is one of my favorite games on PS2. If you liked Final Fantasy, you may also like Dark Cloud 2. I like the Simpsons games too. You probably have enough sports games, but my friends and I play NFL Street for hours.

Old November 4th, 2007, 10:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPoofBall View Post
God of War is one of my favorite games on PS2. If you liked Final Fantasy, you may also like Dark Cloud 2. I like the Simpsons games too. You probably have enough sports games, but my friends and I play NFL Street for hours.
I've heard of that game, a friend of mine played it before and liked it. As for Dark Cloud 2 -- I rented it once and had a blast ! It was one of the most fun games that I ever played on my PS2.

Old November 8th, 2007, 6:13 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise

Wild ARMs 3 is a good turn-based RPG. It's a mix of wild west, sci fi, and fantasy, which actually works better than you would expect, and it has an excellent story and soundtrack.
Shadow Hearts is good too. It does require a bit of reflexes, but nothing too difficult. It's much darker than most RPGs, so it should be avoided by those who dislike things that are a little disturbing.

Old November 8th, 2007, 1:09 pm
Fourth Year

I got some "new" (for me, of course) games and I'm enjoying them a lot. The first is CSI 3 Dimension os a Murder. It's a slow game but it's nice to gather evidence and process it in the lab and work around with some of the characters to find the murder.
The other is Shadow of Rome, wich mix battle actions (when you play as Agripa) and some puzzle solving and gathering info moments (when you play as Octavianus). Both are very different from the games that I've played so far, so maybe that's why I also like them.

Old January 20th, 2008, 5:48 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

I saw Call of Duty 3 for $15 used yesterday. How is that game? Historically I've been pretty bad at those type of games (me and mashing fingers rapidly don't mix, evidently). Is that worth a buy?

Old January 21st, 2008, 12:29 am
Fourth Year

I'm not a huge fan of first-person shooting games. I had the previous one and I had some fun, but as I said it's not my kind of game. Since you mentioned I went to see some reviews on the GameFaqs website (here), most of them are 8/10, so maybe you can read those and see if they help you.

Old July 26th, 2013, 2:42 am

I know this thread is old... but I still got my old PS2 and it's 11 years old... . Just got some nice games for it and I'm working on Monster Hunters and FF X... and trying with God of War, if I ever can get to a dang save point .

Also I got a hold of Dark Cloud and Dark Cloud 2 from a used game store . Was thrilled to add those two to my game collection.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; July 26th, 2013 at 2:44 am.
Old February 11th, 2015, 3:10 am

Finally found a good copy of Tony Hawk Proskater 4 (and 3)! Going to be gaming my butt off on my old PS2 this weekend! I'm SO stoked.

Also looking forward to getting a copy of Soul Reaver 2 (PS2) in the mail from Amazon. Can't wait to play this game again!

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; February 17th, 2015 at 4:31 am.
Old November 10th, 2015, 4:19 pm

Getting ready to sell off a spare PS2 I have... finally found a good controller for it. So now onto gathering the games for it and putting it up. Hoping to sell it this holiday season.

Tested it out (the controller) last night via Tony Hawk Proskater 3, and it worked like a charm .

Old December 22nd, 2015, 6:09 pm

Couldn't sell the system . But it's ok... I'm keeping it as a back up for what it's worth. Been playing some games on it, including a new one I got as a Secret Santa gift, The Legend of Dragoon. I really like it so far! It's pretty fun .

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Computer & Video Games