Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Audio Books

Old March 26th, 2009, 10:41 pm
Secret Keeper

Re: Audio Books

i've done Jim Butcher's Dresden Files done my James Marsters too, which are pretty good too.

i usually try to look up the first part of an audiobook on like itunes previews or other previews that are sometimes on the site they're sold on first too to make sure i like the narrator, or I can always go to the library

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2009, 2:31 pm
Rocket Scientist

I have a hard time listening to audio books, the ones that use character voices, or atleast influx in their voice are usually better, but a lot of the older audio books are soo unbelievably boring cause the readers are monotone and put me to sleep. But even when the audio books are read by good readers, i have a hard time, cause i tend to tune them out for some reason, and end up missing half or more of the book. Id much rather read the book, even though im a somewhat slow reader.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old March 27th, 2009, 4:43 pm
Secret Keeper

i tune them out when there's too much sound nearby since i'll listen to them like everywhere but i only listen to audiobooks for books i already know fairly well.

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old March 28th, 2009, 3:28 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
I have a hard time listening to audio books, the ones that use character voices, or atleast influx in their voice are usually better, but a lot of the older audio books are soo unbelievably boring cause the readers are monotone and put me to sleep.
That's how I was during school. I used to hate listening to the tapes, it was very irk some. I think that's why I probably don't like many of the books that were required reading for school. I bet if I read them, they'd be so much better!

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old March 28th, 2009, 3:58 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

I listen to audio books sometimes, but I usually prefer reading.

Sometimes I listen to them when going off to sleep, but it has to be something that I know inside out, otherwise I start 'listening' to it instead of falling asleep.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old March 28th, 2009, 4:01 pm
Secret Keeper

i've never been forced to listen to audio books at schoolwhich is good because i hate using audiobooks for books that i don't know pretty well

My Deviantart Account

Old April 9th, 2009, 3:17 pm
First Year

I much prefer reading. I usually only listen to audio books if I have to for school. I did get an audio copy of Making Money by Terry Pratchett from the library a few weeks ago because I'd been trying to find the book for months, but I couldn't get past the first fifteen minutes. The voices sounded nothing like they do in my imagination, and it drove me nuts.

Old September 5th, 2014, 6:31 pm
Snidget of Champions

So a question recently popped up among my friends after I revealed that I had been "reading" a lot via listening to the audio book versions: "Does listening to audio books qualify as reading said book?"

With a strict definition of "reading" in which one looks at, understands, and/or interprets printed or written words, clearly the answer is "no." And I agree: there is an inherent difference between reading and listening to a book. The reader has the opportunity to see how the sentence is structured, linger on spelling and grammar, and use written words to form an image of the story. But then the listener has other opportunities, though there may be more bias in listening to a reader's interpretation of the nuances of the language. Overall, I think both reading and listening accomplish the main goals of books but through different media and with different advantages. I prefer reading over listening, myself, but have found my current situation to be most amenable to listening. I've probably listened to over 20 books over the past few months, and I feel that I can say without fuss that I've "read" them: I've followed the story, interpreted the words, formed mental pictures, expanded my vocabulary and exposure to topics, etc. But is listening a lower tier of book "reading," or is it an equal medium?

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old September 6th, 2014, 6:01 am
The Next Great Adventurer

I can see why some people love audiobooks, but I can't use them. My mind tends to wander.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction