Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Biweekly Book Thread #6

Old October 21st, 2010, 3:32 am
Third Year

Re: Biweekly Book Thread #6

Quote:
posted by lvngbooks I wonder one thing about my fellow readers (if I may say so). How many books do you own?
Too many! In my direct line of sight at this moment I see close to 100. ANd this is just downstairs in my apartment. There are more upstairs, in my car, at my mom's, at Hillary's, at my cousin's, at Sheila's , and I"m probably missing a few friends I've loaned them too.

Member of the Insane Becky Posse (IBP) and the Gator Fan Club

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2010, 8:28 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

I own several hundred books, not sure how many exactly - last time I counted was around 15 years ago and they were around 400; since then I must have bought/been given at least a couple of hundred more. That includes the books I appropriated from my parents' collection (that would be all of them).

Old October 21st, 2010, 12:13 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvngbooks View Post
I wonder one thing about my fellow readers (if I may say so). How many books do you own?
I know that I have about 60 books on my to read shelf, but I have no idea about how many I have in my bookcases. One day I want to set up some kind of alphabetical list in a spreadsheet, but until I do that, there are too many books to count, and the number is growing.

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

—Neil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old October 21st, 2010, 2:30 pm
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

Looks to be about 458 here, but I have a few more over at my dad's place.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old October 21st, 2010, 2:54 pm
Malum Veneficus

I've got 200+ books on my shelves. I also have others which are Ebooks, at least another 100. Lots of my books have been sacrificed in the several times the family moved from one place to another (given to other people, that is).

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old October 24th, 2010, 3:08 pm
Second Year

That's awesome

I have 95, but that excludes double books like HP in other languages than English and books I loaned to friends (and I now realize that my childrens books aren't in there either). I put all my books into my list on goodreads a week ago, because I really like lists and statistics haha.

I have to admit that there's a whole load on the way, too.

Old January 1st, 2011, 12:16 pm
Malum Veneficus

A few random reading questions :

Do you turn down the page where you stop, or do you use a bookmark?

How fast do you usually go through a book?

Have you ever turned to the last page and checked the last word/line in the book? Do you do that often?

Old January 1st, 2011, 12:33 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
I use a scrap of paper (currently a train ticket from Eindhoven to The Hague), but mostly I just close the book and the search for the page I left it at.

Quote:
Quite slowly - I never just read, I exercise my analytical skills because I'm constantly afraid I'm losing touch with my philological education. Also, when I read in English, I've taken to stopping every two sentences to think of the best way to translate phrases.

Quote:
Have you ever turned to the last page and checked the last word/line in the book? Do you do that often?
I do this constantly. When I start to feel tired of reading, especially if it's at a part requiring focused attention, I flip forward and read parts from the book there. I've spoilt pretty much every book I've read for myself, including the Harry Potter books.

Old January 1st, 2011, 1:10 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
I use a bookmark or a piece of paper. I'm impatient so I hate searching for the page I left at the last time I read the book.

Quote:
Depends on the book and the time I have Non-fiction tends to take more time, but that would be too general a statement since I've read some memoirs in a matter of a day whereas sometimes fiction has taken me months (especially classics).

Quote:
Not really. Unless it's an exceptionally bad thriller/mystery where I don't want to read through a whole book just to find the villain.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old January 1st, 2011, 4:31 pm
Second Year

I use a bookmark (I have a metal swirly one with an attachment with black stone and an owl on it, I'm VERY happy with that!), but some paperbacks bend so easily that I prefer to use a piece of paper or one of the Bookdepository paper bookmarks I've gotten with my books. I don't want to ruin my books

Depends on the size of the book and how much I like it. Some books I can read in one sitting - whether they're 200 or 500 pages. I think my average is 1,5 book a week or so, but I'm reading more quickly now so I think it'll be up to 2 - 3 books a week now.

I'm very tempted to do that in some books, but I know better now. I don't want to spoil the story I'm reading. When I read the last word/line, I read back and I will have finished the last chapter even before I've read the first chapter. So, no.

Old January 1st, 2011, 6:36 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:

I'm trying to stop turning down the pages, because it just ruins my books. So now, I use a bookmark, or else a postcard.

Quote:
It depends whether I'm reading another book at the same time. And whether the book is a bit of light reading, or something more substantial. Sometimes I'll read through a book in one sitting, sometimes I'll read a few chapters, and then read something else.

Quote:
No, when it's fiction, I love the suspense of reading through a book and not knowing the ending. Even if it's not a mystery, I like to leave the ending until I come to it. I also avoid reading the ending if I've already seen the film version, as the film adaptation might have changed things.

If it's a non-fiction book, I might flick through it a bit, especially if it's a historical non-fiction, or a compilation, such as the book on important historical speeches that I occasionally flick through.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old January 1st, 2011, 6:45 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Quote:

I went through a small phase when I was young where I did that, but I like keeping my books in as good a condition as possible so I use a bookmark.

Quote:
Depends on the book. I probably could read a book in a day, but I don't want to go through it that fast.

Quote:
No, I don't like to be spoiled.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.

Last edited by leah49; January 1st, 2011 at 6:48 pm.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 11:03 am
Malum Veneficus

I try to memorise the page where I stopped. Also, I usually stop at the end of a chapter, so I find it easy to remember where I'd stopped.

Judging by the number of books I read in 2010, I think I read about two books each month. But that of course, isn't accurate, because some books are much longer than others, and some are easy to read while others need more effort.

I often check the last word of the book I'm reading, but I never read the whole line, for fear of being spoilt. Like Yoana, though, I sometimes read random passages from the book, if I got bored. Sometimes I forget all about what I read, and sometimes I keep thinking about it.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 5:55 am
Second Year

1. Where do you get your books?

Buy them through amazon or get them at the library
2. How often do you buy books? How do you decide if a book's worth buying?
If i have the money i'll buy it, i got on word of mouth for what i'll buy/rent.
3. Do you like reading books online?
nope
4. Do you use Electronic readers? How do you like them?
nope
5. Where is your favourite place to read?
my room, i can't read outside or in my living room to much distraction.
6. How often do you read books? when i read what i'm currently reading i'll try to get in about a hour a day. It also depends on whether or not i own the book. When i rent a book i only have a couple weeks to read it so i try to push through it at a good pace. but if i own it i go at my own pace.
7. What genre of books do you read mostly?

Fantasy,sci fi. i love to be transported into a world that's not this one.
8. How do you decide what book to read next?

Depends on whther or not it's part of series i like. If i hear good things about a book i'll check out the plot to see if i like it or not.

9. Do you like to have a little snack while reading? If so, what is your favourite snack to go with a book? nope.

Do you turn down the page where you stop, or do you use a bookmark?, I use a book mark. I'd think i'd end up not remembering the page number if i didn't. Aslo don't like turning the page down.

How fast do you usually go through a book? dpends on the book. If it's easy reading it'll be a week- 2 weeks. But if it's some harder reading/smaller print it'll be 3 weeks depdnsin on how much i read a day.

Like when i rented the ASIAF books, it took me reading 40 or 50 pages a night to finish reading it. I'm a pretty slow reader so it takes me longer to read books than some.

Have you ever turned to the last page and checked the last word/line in the book? Do you do that often? Not really, some of the books i've read it doesn't have a clear spoiler in it. I've done it but it's not often. It happens more often when I close ot the end of chapters. I'll flip ahead to see how many pages i have left.

Last edited by Reid; January 3rd, 2011 at 6:07 am.
Old January 31st, 2013, 6:56 pm
Third Year

Reading Habits

1. Where do you get your books?

I usually get books from the library, I rarely buy them but if I do buy a book I get it from a bookstore (like Borders, before they shut it down, and Barnes and Noble).

2. How often do you buy books? How do you decide if a book's worth buying?

As mentioned, I rarely buy books. If I'm really dedicated to a book/series and there are no books in my library yet (or all of them are on hold) than I'll go and buy a book but only if I really, really, really think I'll love it.

3. Do you like reading books online?

I've only once read a book online and personally, I prefer to read them in paper format.

4. Do you use Electronic readers? How do you like them?

No, I don't have an electronic reader although I think they're cool and useful.

5. Where is your favourite place to read?

Usually, on my bed or in a comfy chair/couch.

6. How often do you read books?

When I get a book from the library, I'll usually read everyday until I finish the book.

7. What genre of books do you read mostly?

Mainly I read young adult, dystopian fiction, thrillers, action/adventure and paranormal.

8. How do you decide what book to read next?

When I was younger, I'd just browse through the library until I found a book that appealed to me. But sometimes that can take a long time so I'll usually go online and see what books in my favorite genres are popular. Websites like Goodreads, where they give you book reviews, also help. Sometimes, I just search a term (like ghosts) in the library catalog and see what books come up. If I read a book I really like and I know that its part of a series, I will usually get the next books in the series.
If I can't find any new books to read, I'll go ahead a reread a book I've liked in the past.

9. Do you like to have a little snack while reading? If so, what is your favourite snack to go with a book?

Sometimes I like to eat while I read and my snacks usually vary; it all depends on whats in the kitchen. Personally, though, I like to drink soda

I just turn the page, it's fastest and easiest for me. I've tried to use bookmarks but I usually loose them or sometimes they fall out of the book

If I really like it, I'll be finished with it in 2-3 days depending on it's length. I'm not a superfast reader but since I read a lot, my reading speed has increased somewhat.

That's funny! I used to do that when I was younger, like in elementary/middle school, and I would just check the last line sometimes. I found that I didn't understand much from one line or page and as I got older, I realized that if I kept up that habit, I'd eventually spoil a really good book for myself so I've stopped doing it since.

Last edited by asdfasdf17; January 31st, 2013 at 7:01 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction