Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Rereading.

Old March 8th, 2010, 4:00 am
Second Year

Re: Rereading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
I love rereading and have always done it--it's natural to me. Some people don't understand why anyone would reread, but I don't understand why anyone wouldn't reread. I can't really imagine why people wouldn't want to reread a book they liked. It's just like wanting to watch a movie more than once. So what if you already know the plot? There's so much more depth there. Plus, it's like revisiting an old friend--I reread for the experience of inhabiting that world again.

I feel the same way!

What do you think of rereading books?
It totally enhances the reading experience.

What books do you like rereading?
Good books. Like Harry Potter and other series where I fell in love with the characters. Or other series that have a big plot revelation at the end and by re-reading you learn so much more, and go "Oh! Now that makes sense!"

Have you ever changed your mind about a book after rereading?
I can't think of a specific book that I didn't like as much...maybe Twilight. I used to love it, way back before New Moon came out. But now I'm kind of sick of that story.
But with most books, like Harry Potter, re-reading has made me love the series even more!

Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2010, 9:30 pm
Fourth Year

I think that the first time you read a book, you're more concerned with finishing it and finding out what happens. So when you reread it, you take your time a bit more and find the clues to things that happen in the end - that's one of the great things about HP, you can reread it as many times as you want and the chances are you're going to find something that you missed the other times. It can also help you to understand the characters more because you focus on the little details and analyse their actions a bit more. For example, I've read the Twilight series a few times and thought it was ok, but I recently went to reread the first chapter and couldn't stop noticing how superior the main character makes herself seem compared to the other people at the school.

To me, the best books to reread are ones with a complex plot because you pick up on the things that foreshadow events later on in the books. Also, there can be unimportant things that a character says that turn out to relate to something that happens at he end. That's the sign of a good book, IMO, and one that I'm likely to reread again.

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live Again One shots
Old March 31st, 2010, 1:51 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelowo93 View Post
I think that the first time you read a book, you're more concerned with finishing it and finding out what happens. So when you reread it, you take your time a bit more and find the clues to things that happen in the end - that's one of the great things about HP, you can reread it as many times as you want and the chances are you're going to find something that you missed the other times. It can also help you to understand the characters more because you focus on the little details and analyse their actions a bit more. For example, I've read the Twilight series a few times and thought it was ok, but I recently went to reread the first chapter and couldn't stop noticing how superior the main character makes herself seem compared to the other people at the school.

To me, the best books to reread are ones with a complex plot because you pick up on the things that foreshadow events later on in the books. Also, there can be unimportant things that a character says that turn out to relate to something that happens at he end. That's the sign of a good book, IMO, and one that I'm likely to reread again.
Absolutely! I feel the exact same way about every single sentence written by gelowo93. Each time I re-read a good book, I appreciate it so much more.

Old March 31st, 2010, 3:34 am
First Year

I like rereading series, and finding foreshadowing that I never noticed before. And sometimes you have to reread books in a series because a new book comes out, and you don't remember everything that happened in the first books. Which is why I have read the first four Harry Potter books about twenty times each

Old July 25th, 2010, 10:23 pm
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

I used to reread all the time when I was a kid. Now that I've got a full-time job with lots and lots of homework, I find that I do not really reread. I sort of feel like I have to choose between rereading an old favorite or finally reading that new book I've been waiting to read. I ultimately choose the new book. I kind of can't wait for retirement. That's so sad since it's decades away!

Old July 26th, 2010, 3:38 am
Third Year

I reread all the time. For me it's like catching up with a long-lost friend. And especially that I have to budget out my time by rediscovering the library and rereading what I already have.

I will reread Christian Fiction, HP, and anything else I get in the mood for.

Depends on the book really. Robert Jordan's WHeel of TIme, I've reread several times and while I didnt change my mind about the book, I have about a couple of characters. If I hate the book the first time, I usually can't stomach picking it up again to reread. HP and the Sorcerer's Stone was an exception. My college roommate had to read it for her Children's Literature class and she asked me to read it and give her enough info to pass the test, so I did. At that moment, I wasn't too keen on it. Then the movie came out while I was teaching, so I saw the movie and then decided to try the book again. I was hooked.

Member of the Insane Becky Posse (IBP) and the Gator Fan Club

Old August 18th, 2010, 3:55 am
Second Year

* What do you think of rereading books?
It's just like watching a movie again, just longer
* What books do you like rereading?
Harry Potter
* Have you ever changed your mind about a book after rereading?
I recently reread DH and liked it more the second time.

Old August 24th, 2010, 6:05 pm
Second Year

I love rereading books. In my opinion, it can't be your favourite until you read it again. I've read the Harry Potter books so many times I've lost count and I love rereading Twilight and the Louise Rennison books.

"if you attempt to - er - 'bring me in by force', I will have to hurt you" - Albus Dumbledore.

"We could have all been killed - or worse, expelled." - Hermione Granger.

"Just because you have the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have." - Hermione Granger

"Every child in our world will know his name!" - Minerva McGonagall

Proud RAVENCLAW.
Old October 21st, 2011, 12:16 am
First Year

What do you think of rereading books? I agree about rereading books. I"m currently rereading Harry Potter. I've picked up on a lot of things. Some of them are ironic now since book 7.
What books do you like rereading? Uh Harry Potter. Percy Jackson Series.
Have you ever changed your mind about a book after rereading? Well, most of the time I can tell if once would be enough to reread a book. Normally though you can tell if a book is good by being able to reread it.

Old October 21st, 2011, 8:26 am
The Next Great Adventurer

It depends on the author. Ira Levin's books are so well crafted that there is a definite thrill of discovery on the first read that never can be replicated in subsequent readings.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old October 29th, 2011, 12:48 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
I used to reread all the time when I was a kid. Now that I've got a full-time job with lots and lots of homework, I find that I do not really reread. I sort of feel like I have to choose between rereading an old favorite or finally reading that new book I've been waiting to read. I ultimately choose the new book. I kind of can't wait for retirement. That's so sad since it's decades away!
This is one reason I love to reread. I'm in the same boat. Full time job and working on my Masters Degree. I have a harder time reading new books because if I am not careful I will neglect homework when I don't want to put down a good book. Well I won't really neglect homework, but I sure will make an allnighter a lot longer! Yet when I'm rereading I don't mind as much putting down the book to work on homework and papers because I know what happens in the book I'm rereading.

Old September 24th, 2012, 9:24 pm
Third Year

• What do you think of rereading books?

I think it's a good idea if you really like the book or if you want to read back to see what you missed. I don't think there is anything wrong with rereading books but I think some people think that's boring to do because they already know the story.

• What books do you like rereading?

I like to reread books I've really enjoyed the first time, like the HP series. Also, sometimes when you get to the end and all the loose ends are tied together, rereading a book gives you a new perspective on it because you already know why what happens and how and stuff and that's interesting to catch.

• Have you ever changed your mind about a book after rereading?

Not really, I thought it was just as interesting and good as the first time around.

Old October 13th, 2012, 5:06 am
Banned

Re: Rereading

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelowo93 View Post
I think that the first time you read a book, you're more concerned with finishing it and finding out what happens. So when you reread it, you take your time a bit more and find the clues to things that happen in the end.
I couldn't agree more. I regularly reread my favorite books, and every time I find something that I missed the time(s) before.

I've begun rereading Stieg Larsson's Millenium series. I'm picking up all sorts of hints on what's coming, and also some red herrings. I find it thoroughly enjoyable.

Old October 13th, 2012, 6:24 am
Fourth Year

I think it's a great idea to pick up a book again, if you enjoyed it once, you'll probably enjoy it again. You get a whole knew understanding of the book with a reread. I definitely find myself liking the book 5x's more than I did the first time, picking up ideas and clues that I wasn't aware of the first time going through. Plus, you're already in love with the characters in the story, so instead of being blinded by looking past a character that may not have had a significant roll at first, you end up paying more attention to them, excited by things you didn't pick up the first time around.

Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, Sunshine by Robin McKinley, The Darkest Powers Trilogy by Kelley Armstrong, Lord Loss by Darren Shan are all books I know I've read more than once. Books I've thought about rereading are A Game of Thrones, A Great and Terrible Beauty, I am the Messenger, and the Iron Fey Trilogy. There's probably more on that list, in fact I know there's more books that should be on that list, but those are the first to pop into my mind.

Yes. I tried to reread Eragon once because I knew I loved reading that book when I was younger, I found myself losing interest in the book quickly, and noticing the strange choppiness of the book. I still like it, but it's not as highly revered anymore. Rereading the Harry Potter books made me like them a lot more, when I was younger I got bored reading them (I know, blasphemy, but in my defense I got bored reading anything when I was younger).

Old October 17th, 2012, 7:23 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
It depends on the author. Ira Levin's books are so well crafted that there is a definite thrill of discovery on the first read that never can be replicated in subsequent readings.
The flip side of that is, you pick up things that you didn't the first time. It's true of any book, but especially true of suspense/mystery books. That's true of Ira Levin's books. I particularly like A Kiss Before Dying and have reread it a couple of times.

It's fun to see the clues and red herrings that you didn't know enough to pick out at first reading.

Old October 17th, 2012, 9:21 pm
Second Year

As has already been said if the book is good and I like it, certainly I reread it, and then in this way you can better notice details that were missed the first time, and I add that I have reviewed many times many films, then I don’t see why I not should do the same thing with books.

The full Harry Potter saga, but unlike the first time I read it, I prefer to read it more slowly (for example a chapter per evening) just in order to focus on the details. The first time I read the Order of the Phoenix took me three days and it’s the longest book in the series!

After rereading the book I liked even more.

Last edited by Verena; October 18th, 2012 at 12:41 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction