Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

How you get your books...

Old February 8th, 2011, 11:58 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Re: How you get your books...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Otherwise the Book Depository. When all is said an done the free postage makes it the cheapest option. I've tried Amazon etc but the international postage negated any savings. BD has free shipping on everything.
Ah, thank you for this. Borders has 'free shipping' within Australia but the books themselves are so expensive that it simply isn't worth it.

Apart from the local library, I frequent second hand bookshops and receive books as gifts. I'm hoping that more titles in the Popular Penguins series will be released at some point, too.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2011, 3:25 pm
Second Year

I get most of my books via bookdepository.com or bookdepository.co.uk - they tend to differ in prices and I've saved up to 5 on one book by switching to the other. They have free shipping and I find myself always browsing the site for cheap offers.

Sometimes I use Amazon, too. Mostly I use Amazon.com, because however the UK site does offer free shipping for me, the book prices are 1,5 times higher than on other sites. Sometimes they have some bargains, though. But Amazon.com has more discount and promotions. They have 50% off on boxed sets every once in a while and that's how I got most of my book sets. Even with shipping included, they are cheaper than when I'd order them from Bookdepository.

Old February 8th, 2011, 5:54 pm
Fourth Year

If I plan to read a book I'll usually just buy it off amazon because it's easiest for me. Occasionally I might go to the local library first to see if they have it but I prefer to own my books (especially if it's a series) so I don't go too often. I will buy books from shops if I just happen to go in and see one that I like the look of, but that isn't that often either. Plus, buying books on the internet is usually cheaper than in store if they have free postage.

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live Again One shots
Old February 9th, 2011, 2:34 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Druid View Post
Apart from the local library, I frequent second hand bookshops and receive books as gifts. I'm hoping that more titles in the Popular Penguins series will be released at some point, too.
I'm a huge fan of the Popular Penguins. It's a pity that every new Penguin isn't issued in the format. Not only are they ludicrously cheap and excellent quality but they look good lined up on a shelf.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old March 17th, 2011, 7:37 pm
First Year

I mostly buy books from bookstore. Sometimes, I buy books from Amazon. Amazon is a good place to buy books because it's reasonably cheap. If I find a good book in a library, I would borrow it.

Old April 3rd, 2011, 3:23 pm
First Year

Either from a library if I'm not sure about buying it - if I end up not liking it then I save money. If its been out for a while I'll check some charity shops first, otherwise book shops or Amazon UK.

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return - Moulin Rouge!
Old April 3rd, 2011, 7:48 pm
Sixth Year

I usually pick up a book at a store I'm at, like Wal-Mart, Borders, or Barnes & Noble.

Sometimes, if I can't find a book in-store, I'll order it off of Amazon.

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old April 19th, 2011, 9:57 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post

Otherwise the Book Depository. When all is said an done the free postage makes it the cheapest option. I've tried Amazon etc but the international postage negated any savings. BD has free shipping on everything.
I work for them! Though in all honesty I don't think anything beats going into an independent bookshop. I love that new book smell, and so I am happy to pay the extra for the benefit of browsing the shop for an hour or two. Oh, and I absolutely refuse to buy books from a supermarket as they only stock the most popular titles, at least half of which are 'celebrity' autobiographies, so if they put real bookshops out of business I'm going to be forced to do my book shopping online. Through the Book Depository, of course

Old April 20th, 2011, 6:03 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore_Raver View Post
I work for them! Though in all honesty I don't think anything beats going into an independent bookshop. I love that new book smell, and so I am happy to pay the extra for the benefit of browsing the shop for an hour or two. Oh, and I absolutely refuse to buy books from a supermarket as they only stock the most popular titles, at least half of which are 'celebrity' autobiographies, so if they put real bookshops out of business I'm going to be forced to do my book shopping online. Through the Book Depository, of course
I agree with you on that Nothing like browsing a bookstore and going home with a bag full of new books!

However, books are very expensive here and for an English paperback I'll easily have to pay 14 (which is around $19). Dutch books are sometimes a little cheaper, but mostly they're 16. I think that's ridiculous, so I buy almost everything online - unless I find a bargain in the English Bookstore in Amsterdam

I love to browse Dutch bookstores for new titles though.

Old April 21st, 2011, 12:14 am
Sixth Year

I just got back from a really cool, little, and extremely cheap bookstore that I didn't know existed in my little town It has a lot of books for only a few dollars each.

I just bought Stephen King's The Stand and I finally got the Lord of the Rings trilogy so I can finally read that.

Will definitely go back there more often

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old April 30th, 2011, 7:00 pm

I've just started with booko.com.au. All you do is enter a book title/author/ISBN and it trawls the online sellers for the best price. Although based in Australia it includes the big international sellers including the Book Depositories and Amazons.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old April 30th, 2011, 8:15 pm
First Year

I personally don't like reading books at librarys I prefere to buy my own. (:

Call me Jade ;; Signature by me
Old August 5th, 2011, 5:01 am
First Year

We have a book exchange in town where they buy and sell every book for half of the cover price. I always have to have my own copy of the book that I'm reading; I suppose it's just a pet peeve.

It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution.

Old August 6th, 2011, 5:02 pm
First Year

I buy my own copy and I sell those I didn't like after reading.

Old August 6th, 2011, 5:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Druid View Post
There's a new batch being released in September.

Old August 12th, 2012, 8:01 pm
Third Year

I almost always get them from the library; there are very few books that I've bought. I guess its because I feel like I won't reread them which is kind of funny because there are so many books that I wish I had bought so I could reread them! The other reason is because when I'm trying out a new book/author, I'm not sure if I'll like it so I'm not ready to spend money on the book (I make it sound like I'm trying a new skin product!)

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction