Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Computer & Video Games

Lord of the Rings Online

Old January 10th, 2008, 4:44 am
First Year

Lord of the Rings Online

Does anyone play? What server? I play on Brandywine.

Fun game, indeed.

Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2008, 9:11 am
First Year

Re: Lord of the Rings Online

I played the trial, and then bought the game for my brother for Christmas.
Unfortunately his PC didn't meet the requirements, so now he's buying a new PC.
When I played the trial, I played a hobbit girl (with the musician type powers, I don't know what they're called in english). And I reeeally enjoyed it. It's a bit sad that the monthly fees are so high. But if my brother gets into it, maybe I'll get it too so him and I can quest together. The game is only 30€ which includes one free month, so that's not too bad if you don't plan to play for a long time.

Oh yeah, I've never played a MMPOG (or whatever they're called) before, except the Sims Online, and that one sucked.
I like about LotR that you don't have to constantly fight, you might just walk around and enjoy the scenery and run some post errands, or become a farmer. Because I don't like war/fighting games very much.

Is Brandywine a RP server?

Johnny Depp
is...

Harry Potter

Old January 10th, 2008, 8:52 pm
First Year

Brandywine is probably the least RP, unfortunately. It's the biggest, and I liked the name, so I joined, and now I'm too "far in" to change.

Old January 11th, 2008, 9:24 am
First Year

I read some reviews though, and they said that the community in LotRO is much more mature and a bit nicer than for example the WoW community, so that's a pro in my book.
I do find the RP aspect very tempting, but I am not very knowledgabe of Tolkien's world, compared to all those hard core fans who have read all his books from the Silmarilion and stuff (I know my brother has a hole set of books about history of Middle Earth), so I would probably make a fool of myself.

Johnny Depp
is...

Harry Potter

Old January 13th, 2008, 11:58 pm
Second Year

I like the concept, but I've heard that a lot of the quests are group based, which makes it tough for players who started more than a few weeks after the initial launch to advance due to a lack of people at your level to help you out. Has anybody out there started playing recently? If so, is that the case?

I'm not a Harry Potter addict. I choose to go to conventions, theme parks, book release parties and movie premiers and to spend hundreds of dollars per year on licensed merchandise. Continuously reading, discussing and analyzing the books is simply a hobby. I can stop any time I want to. No, I really mean it. Seriously. Addicts can't stop. That's the difference between me and an addict.

GalleonSickle4 on Pottermore
Wand- 13" Beech and Dragon Heartstring, unbending
Proud student of House
Old January 14th, 2008, 7:52 am
First Year

I think there is always people who start new in the game, especially now after the holidays (they had a big price promotion too), also there are many long time players who just like to start over with new characters.
During my test week, the area I played wasn't crowded, but I wasn't completely on my own there either. I've never done any group quests though, as in the beginning you get along quite well on your own.

Johnny Depp
is...

Harry Potter

Old January 14th, 2008, 7:43 pm
Second Year

I've never played this. I HATED the LOTR games they had for the PS2, and to be honest, while I like LOTR I can't see myself really getting into an online version of it. When does the story take place? Before or after the ring is destroyed?

I'd much rather have a HP online game.

Old January 15th, 2008, 2:18 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbylikesme View Post
I read some reviews though, and they said that the community in LotRO is much more mature and a bit nicer than for example the WoW community, so that's a pro in my book.
I do find the RP aspect very tempting, but I am not very knowledgabe of Tolkien's world, compared to all those hard core fans who have read all his books from the Silmarilion and stuff (I know my brother has a hole set of books about history of Middle Earth), so I would probably make a fool of myself.
It is, very much so. While WoW's community is mostly around 12-17 years old, LOTRO's is mostly people that are over 30, and have never played an MMO before, but are playing because they were ( are ) huge LOTR fans. This makes for a mature, non-competitive atmosphere.

By simply playing the game, you find out all things about Middle Earth. If you could access the forums, I could send you some links that show just how close they got it to the real thing. By taking excerpts from Tolkien's books ( Like descriptions of scenery. ) and applying them to the MMO, you'll be amazed at how accurate they got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastHorcrux View Post
I like the concept, but I've heard that a lot of the quests are group based, which makes it tough for players who started more than a few weeks after the initial launch to advance due to a lack of people at your level to help you out. Has anybody out there started playing recently? If so, is that the case?
A lot of quests are group based, but you will always have enough solo ones to fill in, if you don't want to do them. Also, there are always new players starting, no matter what game you play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidPop View Post
I've never played this. I HATED the LOTR games they had for the PS2, and to be honest, while I like LOTR I can't see myself really getting into an online version of it. When does the story take place? Before or after the ring is destroyed?

I'd much rather have a HP online game.
I'd like an HP online game too, and one is rumored to be in development, but if it is it will only be here many years from now.

The story is kind of cool how they did it. You are in the story, and it progresses, with real time, slowly. When I first got the game ( When it came out. ), Frodo was still in the Shire. As the months went by, he went to Bree, so on and so forth, and they have now formed the fellowship and are in Rivendell. It's pretty cool, the world changes as it goes along. If, in the book, a town is pillaged.. when the story gets to that, orcs will come to that town and pillage it, leaving it desolate forever ( Unless, in the history somewhere, it is fixed. )

And when the story is over, the game will go into the 4th age, and then the 5th age, and if there are any more ages after that. But to even get to the 4th age ( The end of the LOTR story. ) will take years, so they will never run out of story to work with.

Old January 16th, 2008, 10:02 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterpeel View Post
The story is kind of cool how they did it. You are in the story, and it progresses, with real time, slowly. When I first got the game ( When it came out. ), Frodo was still in the Shire. As the months went by, he went to Bree, so on and so forth, and they have now formed the fellowship and are in Rivendell. It's pretty cool, the world changes as it goes along. If, in the book, a town is pillaged.. when the story gets to that, orcs will come to that town and pillage it, leaving it desolate forever ( Unless, in the history somewhere, it is fixed.
That's interesting. Can you actually find Frodo in the game just wandering around?

Old January 17th, 2008, 3:41 am
First Year

Mhm. He is walking around Rivendell at the moment, last I checked.

Old January 17th, 2008, 4:31 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterpeel View Post
Mhm. He is walking around Rivendell at the moment, last I checked.
You're kidding! That's priceless. I need to find some screenshots.

I actually feel a nagging desire to play this now, but I probably couldn't afford the monthly fees with all my college expenses.

Old October 6th, 2011, 12:20 am
Fourth Year

Well this thread looks pretty dead.... *attempts to revive it*

I've been playing this game as a free player for a couple of months now, because I love Middle-earth and was in need of a new and different way of experiencing Tolkien, and because I've always wanted to try out an MMORPG. I love it so far, and I also like that you can play for free. Usually when they say that, there's a tiny footnote somewhere that says "but only 'till you get to the fun levels! ", but that's not the case here. I don't feel like I have to pay anything to enjoy the game, though access to the VIP-areas would be nice.

Also, most people there are very helpful and nice, I really enjoy being part of the community. (I play on the Vilya server, btw.) If you need help with anything or have a question, there's always someone there who can help you, and you won't get laughed at for asking newbie-questions, which was very reassuring to me, being both a noob in LOTRO and in the MMORPG-world.

I wonder if any of the wonderful people of CoS plays this, and if you do, are you a free player or not? I'm really thinking of becoming a VIP or premium player, but only if I think it's worth the money that could be spent on something else (this would have to go from my book budget, see ).

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

—Neil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Computer & Video Games