Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

The NFL Football Thread v2

Old December 12th, 2012, 5:33 am
Snidget of Champions

Re: The NFL Football Thread v2

Even more evidence - to me - that the Texans are not the caliber of team that their record implies (unfortunately - I would love to see them reach the Super Bowl) - the same is probably true for the Falcons.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2012, 5:18 am
Curse Breaker

I'd say it's more true of the Falcons than the Texans over the body of the entire season, but injuries in the secondary have limited the Texans' effectiveness against the pass. Here's what I don't understand. The Texans' back-up tight end was injured and supposedly that drastically impaired their play-action game and their sets for tight ends (they like triple tights). The Pats were missing their first-string tight end (and most dynamic receiving threat/problematic matchup) and their #2 receiver (kick returner, and speed burning possession receiver) AND they lost Stallworth who was supposed to be the stopgap, and that offense just kept humming along. What gives? I really have a hard time liking the Niners as currently cosntituted because they remind me of the '80s Giants (ugh). It would be quite satisfying if the Pats could muster back to back blowout victories, but I'd settle for a comfortable victory where Brady extends his touchdown streak.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old December 14th, 2012, 12:52 am
First Year

Bengals 24
Eagles 17

Old December 14th, 2012, 2:25 pm
Curse Breaker

They did win, but it was an ugly game, a tale of two halves. On with the show.

Old December 15th, 2012, 9:24 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
Even more evidence - to me - that the Texans are not the caliber of team that their record implies (unfortunately - I would love to see them reach the Super Bowl) - the same is probably true for the Falcons.
Well yes and no. Even good teams get beaten by other good teams. The thing is that the Texans didn't even make a game of it.

Old December 17th, 2012, 2:04 am
Curse Breaker

The Colts hung around, and got as close as 8, but couldn't make the plays when they absolutely had to have them. I didn't think anything could get Schwarz fired the year after breaking Detroit's playoff drought, but getting humiliated by an AWFUL Cardinals team mighta done it.

If he stays healthy, Adrian Peterson might have a real shot at breaking Dickerson's record in two weeks. Wow. Even more amazing considering the Vikings have next to zero passing game.

Atlanta got revenge for last year's playoff embarrassment (some, anyway; this won't matter if the Giants sneak in as the six and then obliterate the Falcons in the dome in four weeks).

The Bears look like they're about to disappear and the Seahawks look like a serious team (thanks, replacement officials).

Old December 20th, 2012, 1:46 am
First Year

Patriots game was bad

Old December 20th, 2012, 6:19 am
Curse Breaker

Well, it got away from them the same way the Super Bowl got away from them last year. They had an open pass for a first down, but Brady looked for more than the necessary yardage and didn't connect. Who knows if they complete the drive, but complete that pass, and there's no extra field goal to deal with.

Old December 24th, 2012, 4:50 pm
Curse Breaker

Ugh. Patriots looked like they peaked for that Texans game and the wheels are starting to come off. Looks like they're setting up to get upset by a hungry Bengals team with a strong pass rush at home on Wild Card Weekend. Plus side, Steelers officially eliminated from the playoffs, and the Niners got HUMILIATED by the Hawks in the rain. Gotta say, the Packers and the Hawks look like the scariest teams in the NFC playoffs at this moment, but I gotta root for the Vikings to pull the upset to eliminate the Giants.

Well, I don't know anyone outside Chrisitian Ponder's immediate family who would have believed that the Vikings could POUND the Texans in Reliant, but Peterson would be contained to under a hundred yards. Wow.

Johnson broke one of Rice's records and the Lions still weren't competitive after settling for that last field goal when they could have made it a one possession game. How weird would it be for Peterson to get more than 2,000 yards rushing, even possibly break Dickerson's record and yet Johnson amasses more receiving yards than Peterson does rushing yards. It's not out of the realm of possibility.

The Jets are a mess. Just unbelievable. The Chargers sacked McElroy 11 times? That's ridiculous.

Old December 26th, 2012, 5:07 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
Ugh. Patriots looked like they peaked for that Texans game and the wheels are starting to come off.

Alot of the problems with the Pats are the same ones that plagued them at the beginning of the year. Chief among those problems is Devin McCourty. I know the kid is probably nice, and the shift to safety helped him tremendously, but no matter where he is positioned opposing teams always pick on him. And they do it for a reason. He's not that good. Also I don't think that McDaniels and Brady are on the same page.

Being a good Pats fan I cannot root for the Seahawks under Pete Carroll. Certainly I think he is a case of a good team saving the coach from his own dumb mistakes. I am also swearing that the Manning Brothers are the bane of my existence. If it's not one it's the other stealing my thunder. Peyton had to have stem cell therapy in Europe and his first season back he's up for MVP if not Comeback of the Year. PLUS the Broncos are second seed! I can only take one Manning at a time. I pray to the football gods that the Giants are eliminated pronto. I may be wrong but I really feel like Tim Tebow was a flash in the pan. It's hard to even tell if the kid still has the makings for a talented QB since we never see him and now the rumours are he's going to the Jags who have no defense against a good pass rush? I really feel like his career is almost over. And speaking of the Jets I also heard a rumor that they are looking at Alex Smith. Could that be right?

Old December 26th, 2012, 8:53 pm
Curse Breaker

Smith's probably the best quality free agent quarterback without injury issues available on the open market. He's probably Sanchez redux, but most of the options out there don't seem to fit. That organization needs a cleanse.

Look, I became a Pats fan in the spring of '02 when they drafted David Givens. He lived down the hall from me his last year of college, and he was a nice, soft-spoken guy. I wished him well. I've stuck around for a lot of good times and some annoying ones. I grew up a Niners fan because of Montana, but I washed my hands of the Niners when they sided with TO over first Rice and then the perfectly competent quarterback they had to replace Young (who they didn't draft). I felt it was karmic justice when the team went off a cliff and TO jumped ship. I remembered liking Jim Harbaugh's pugnacity in Indy as a starter for the Colts and was pleased when things turned around--but now, he's turned my childhood team into something resembling the 1980s Giants, the team I detested in spite of Bavarro, the team that shortened Montana's career and robbed the Niners of a three-peat by turning a football game into a boxing match. I can't root for that. Sorry. And then, they barely eked out a win against the Pats that

1. Knocked them out of bye position
2. slotted the Broncos into bye position

I was ecstatic that they got humiliated by the Seahawks the following week, and I have my own litany reasons to dislike Pete.

Old January 4th, 2013, 5:35 pm
Registered Animagus

Kansas City Chiefs fire GM Scott Pioli; hiring Andy Reid as Coach, almost a done deal!

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article...e-8ea51870ce37

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...each-agreement

Woohoo! Fans around here have been saying Pioli needs to go and now he's gone!

Old January 5th, 2013, 7:15 am
Curse Breaker

Pioli's gone, Crennel's gone, Reid is in. Great for the fanbase! Except, Reid doesn't like to run the ball and three of your most talented ballplayers are running backs. Unless Stanzi gets healthy and develops in a lightning hurry, you'll have to go QB shopping again with an O-line that...could use improvement.

Now probably isn't the best time to mention that if Pollard doesn't roll up on Brady's legs, you never have to live through Cassel--or at the very least, you'd have picked him up for cheap and been comfortable moving on when it didn't work.

Old January 8th, 2013, 7:58 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

I think Seattle did very well this weekend ,They came back from a bad first quarter and shut them down for the rest of the game. I think that the Hawks have a good shot at making the next game very close. They may even win it if Beast mode can get going.

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old January 8th, 2013, 9:43 am
Curse Breaker

But one of their corners had an ACL injury...was it Sherman?

Incidentally, what was up with keeping RGIII in until he absolutely shredded one of his legs? That didn't make any sense.

Old January 8th, 2013, 10:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
But one of their corners had an ACL injury...was it Sherman?

Incidentally, what was up with keeping RGIII in until he absolutely shredded one of his legs? That didn't make any sense.
I'm not sure which one got hurt ,but the Hawks have good depth for this time of year .

I feel that the coach was guilty of leaving him in too long ,He should have pulled him when he first started limping . On the other hand they have the same problem as the Hawks do ,a back-up who is really not ready to step in .

I just hope RGIII gets the best treatment available he is too young to get knocked out of Football forever.

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old January 8th, 2013, 5:13 pm
Curse Breaker

I looked it up. It's Clemmons. Yes, they have good depth this year, but the Bengals had astonishingly good depth in the secondary, and in the end it didn't avail them much in the playoffs. I think Atlanta's a good matchup for the Hawks, but this was a MISERABLE football weekend. Absolutely ZERO of the teams I wanted to win won, college or pro.

Old January 11th, 2013, 5:50 pm
First Year

Im back. Been away because of finals.The Patriots really stunk after that Texans game, but Im happy they shutout a decent Miami team. Lets hope they can finally win since the Giants are out(Yay). The last wild card weekend was kinda of boring. Vikings didnt bother to show up,Colts got blasted,Cin at Hou was boring as heck. But Shanahan was the biggest airhead ever for leaving RG3 in,might have cost him his career. But Seattle is scary in the NFC(especially that 42-13 romp of SF). Here are my divisional playoff picks. I went 4-0 last week.

Denver 35 Baltimore 20. Manning too unstoppable
San Francisco 23 Green Bay 20. Not impressed with their performance against Minnesota, SF has better D.
Seattle 28 Atlanta 27. Seattle matches up very well with Atlanta, Lynch pounds the worst run d in the playoffs.
New England 41 Houston 27. Patriots just got too much firepower for Houston to win.

GO PATRIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Old January 13th, 2013, 10:23 pm

OMG! The Damn phantom call kills the Hawks!!!

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old January 13th, 2013, 11:29 pm
Sixth Year

Nevermore Denver, nevermore.

Stayed up till 2am watching that Baltimore game last night. Absolutely wired.

i'm in slytherin!
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports