Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

How much time did you spend writing today?

Old September 17th, 2012, 1:04 am
Registered Animagus

How much time did you spend writing today?

I'm starting this thread, not so I can find out how much other people write, but to encourage both aspiring and seasoned authors to get busy writing.

It's so easy to put it off. School, work, kids, I need to walk the dog, I stubbed my toe. But the thing is, if you want to be a writer, you have to write.

I don't write every day. If I did, I'd soon burn out. The last time I spent four months straight writing every day, I ended up with tendinitis and I couldn't write for months. Now I'm back and my goal is to write two hours a day, five days a week, not necessarily Monday through Friday.

In two hours, I can write approximately 2K words, which I did today and yesterday. In five days, that's 10K words which in two to three weeks gives me a novella.

So, how much did you write today?

ETA: 9/21/12 Wrote 1750 words this morning. Not quite my usual 2K.

Anyone else want to fess up?

Last edited by Desraelda; September 22nd, 2012 at 1:45 am.
Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2012, 5:44 am
First Year

Re: How much time did you spend writing today?

Like you, I can't write every single day. I need to take a break for a day or two so that I'm really anxious to continue. If I have an idea for what I want to write when I continue, I'll save it as a note in my phone and look into my notepad before I start to write. I usually write 2k-4k per day when I write, and I love it more than anything...writing is my escape. My minimum for my novels is around 80K words, so it takes some time, but I reallllly enjoy it and get very into the story and the character's lives.

I can't help but feel that I'm wasting my time in school. I want to go, I really do, because I love being around my friends, but I just wish that I could take my laptop with me and write during the classes. It's good that I'm learning and all in case something helps me with my novels, but I just feel that all of the time I spend at school is going to waste, because my career WILL be a writer. I feel that writing is my job, and it's the best job in the world for me because it's my passion!

If I didn't go to school, I would literally write all day, which means that I could most likely write an entire novel in a month...I already have five freaking novels planned out and need to slow it down, and I'm soooo anxious to work on all of them, but of course I'm busy with school from 7am to 2:30pm.

I write a lot in the summer, and hopefully I'll have two novels written by the end of Summer 2013!! My next step is to find an agent and get my stories published.

Old September 24th, 2012, 2:40 am
Registered Animagus

Re: How much time did you spend writing today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmasterofdeathB View Post
Like you, I can't write every single day. I need to take a break for a day or two so that I'm really anxious to continue. If I have an idea for what I want to write when I continue, I'll save it as a note in my phone and look into my notepad before I start to write. I usually write 2k-4k per day when I write, and I love it more than anything...writing is my escape. My minimum for my novels is around 80K words, so it takes some time, but I reallllly enjoy it and get very into the story and the character's lives.

I can't help but feel that I'm wasting my time in school. I want to go, I really do, because I love being around my friends, but I just wish that I could take my laptop with me and write during the classes. It's good that I'm learning and all in case something helps me with my novels, but I just feel that all of the time I spend at school is going to waste, because my career WILL be a writer. I feel that writing is my job, and it's the best job in the world for me because it's my passion!

If I didn't go to school, I would literally write all day, which means that I could most likely write an entire novel in a month...I already have five freaking novels planned out and need to slow it down, and I'm soooo anxious to work on all of them, but of course I'm busy with school from 7am to 2:30pm.

I write a lot in the summer, and hopefully I'll have two novels written by the end of Summer 2013!! My next step is to find an agent and get my stories published.
Good for you. I'm glad you try to write as often as possible. But don't feel that school is a waste of time. Everything you experience in life will help you with your writing.

Good luck finding an agent. That's not an easy thing to do.

Be sure your manuscript is in tip-top shape. A friend of mine sent me a ms that hadn't even been spell-checked. If I was an agent, it would have gone right in the trash. Since she was a long time friend, I spent two weeks cleaning it up for her.

Wrote 1600 words in two hours yesterday, but 2200 words in two hours today. Sometimes it goes okay and sometimes it goes very well.

ETA: 9/24/12 Had less than an hour to write today. Only 645 words, but that's 645 more words than I had yesterday.

Last edited by Desraelda; September 25th, 2012 at 1:20 am.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner