Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Reactions of Non-readers to the HBP movie

Old August 11th, 2009, 5:12 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Re: Reactions of Non-readers to the HBP movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletkate607 View Post
My friend kept asking me what was going on in the cave with the potion and everything... She said that was dumb and they should have just scooped the stuff up and poored it out! Hehe. Why didn't they try that though, anyway?
That would've made it too easy.

Old August 11th, 2009, 5:26 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletkate607 View Post
My friend kept asking me what was going on in the cave with the potion and everything... She said that was dumb and they should have just scooped the stuff up and poored it out! Hehe. Why didn't they try that though, anyway?
They tried that in the book but it didn't work so Dumbledore figured out it had to be drunk. Why didn't they do that in the film? It would've taken a few seconds just

Old August 11th, 2009, 7:36 pm
Third Year

I could tell my friend didn't know what was happening. She hadn't read any of the books, so I couldn't whisper to her the little inside details about the book that they left out or included in the movie, so it was very difficult for me. And I don't think she caught on that Snape was the Half-Blood Prince. Then again, they didn't show it that well in the movie...
Also, she had trouble understanding what they said. Like, she didn't know what a Horcrux was, so I had to explain it to her and stuff, wasting precious movie time. But it's alright, I saw it again.

Old August 11th, 2009, 7:39 pm
Third Year

some of my friends are under the impression that all Harry Potter movies just involve Harry flying around a lot, getting chased by dragons, and occasionally stopping to battle a "weird bald guy with no nose". i very politely slapped them.

Old August 15th, 2009, 1:13 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehedwig View Post
I could tell my friend didn't know what was happening. She hadn't read any of the books, so I couldn't whisper to her the little inside details about the book that they left out or included in the movie, so it was very difficult for me. And I don't think she caught on that Snape was the Half-Blood Prince. Then again, they didn't show it that well in the movie...
Also, she had trouble understanding what they said. Like, she didn't know what a Horcrux was, so I had to explain it to her and stuff, wasting precious movie time. But it's alright, I saw it again.
Actually, Snape revealed he was the Half-Blood Prince himself I mean they showed this pretty well in the film. I missed the explanation of why though. My friend understood almost everything. He didn't ask a single question during or after the film.

Old August 15th, 2009, 2:33 pm
Third Year

The only thing my father said was "If Harry Potter is the Chosen One, why can everyone beat him up?"

He's only read the first 10 pages of GoF, but at least it's an effort!

CoS|Pottermore
ThestralStorm121 is two sides of a coin.
Old August 15th, 2009, 2:48 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockworthy View Post
The only thing my father said was "If Harry Potter is the Chosen One, why can everyone beat him up?"

I sincerely hope we don't have any non-book readers in this forum, because that would just be shameful! My cousin swears he's read the books, but I don't think he has, because right after he saw the movie he texted me "So Snape is bad?!?!" Haha, so yeah, he has definitely never read Deathly Hallows at least. I saw it a second time with my sister. She's never read the books (but she swears that she will soon!) but she likes the movies. I think she got the gist of what was going on, but she missed a lot of the details so I had to whisper things in her ear all throughout the movie. My aunt (who doesn't speak English but can understand things here and there) went to see it with us and the only thing she said at the end was "I didn't like it because they killed the old man" with a pout on her face. That cracked me up.

ThestralQuill
11 1/2" Sycamore and Unicorn hair, surprisingly swishy

"The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more,
that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds."
Old October 28th, 2009, 7:24 pm
Fifth Year

Do you think the non-readers were surprised when Snape killed Dumbledore? How do you think their shock was compared to yours when reading the book?
Even though Snape "hushed" on Harry before he killed Dumbledore (which was a very good addition btw) and it seemed like Snape and Dumbledore had planned something together earlier, I find it hard to believe that the non-readers thought Snape was capable of saving the day. The hole area was surrounded by death eaters. In addition, Snape had made an unbreakable vow and he either had to kill Dumbledore or die himself. On the other hand, it's not sure the non-readers had that in mind since so much was going on. Also, Dumbledore, the greatest wizard of all time, trusted Snape. What do you think?

Old October 28th, 2009, 7:29 pm
Zonko's Employee

Depends on how invested the audiences are in the movies. If they are big fans of the movies, follow them and watched each of them a number of times, the shock could be quite powerful. I know my mother was surprised and disappointed. She thought Snape was a good guy without question.

I'm sure people who only casually follow the film would be surprised because in the films, Snape is portrayed as a good guy and he's not as horrible as he in the books. He's alot more likable in the films. It's actually kinda weird to see him act evil. It doesn't fit. Of-course this will work in the long-run since Snape is really good.

But still, I think it was a surprise. Maybe not along the lines of, "No. I am your father" but quite a twist nonetheless.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old October 28th, 2009, 7:50 pm
Fourth Year

Well, my friends just loved the special effects and characters, the whole "scary zombie thing" when Dumbledore was with Harry looking for the Horcux in the cave, but they wouldn't stop talking about the New Moon movie release when we got out of the cinema.

Old October 28th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Fifth Year

When it's out on DVD I'll force my family to watch it and ask about their reactions I don't think they will be extremely surprised, but rather feel disappointed.

Let's say I'm a non-reader who doesn't remember Snape promising to carry out the deed. After Snape has "hushed" on Harry I might be wondering what Snape's plan is all about. Could it be to trick the death eaters and apparate from Hogwarts together with Dumbledore and Draco because Dumbledore is too weak to do it himself at the moment? Okay, I wouldn't be that smart When Snape kills Dumbledore I bet I would be surprised just then but most disappointed. Afterwards, when I recall the unbreakable vow, I would most likely think that Snape betrayed Dumbledore and it was obvious that he was evil. Just a theory Some might still think Snape is a spy for the good guys and think he had no other choice than to kill Dumbledore. Otherwise he would have revealed his true colours.

Last edited by Noldus; October 28th, 2009 at 9:26 pm.
Old October 28th, 2009, 9:57 pm
First Year

I only know the opinion of one of my friends who hasn't read any of the books. She thinks it's the worst HP-movie so far. I think it's because she just didn't understand what was going on. She was able to follow the plot, but she didn't understand how everything was connected so it was a dissarangement for her. And when Snape had his "I am the Half Blood Prince"-Moment she was like "so what?". She also asked me "Why is the name of this movie HP and the HBP ? Is the HBP even important?"
I thought it would still be a surprise to non-readers that Snape is the HBP. I think if I saw the movie without knowing the book I would have thought it's Tom Riddle.
And I think Dumbledore's death was still a surprising moment, because it was so sudden.
"Please Severus.."
-"Avada Kedavra !"

Old October 28th, 2009, 11:31 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Moony_ View Post
I only know the opinion of one of my friends who hasn't read any of the books. She thinks it's the worst HP-movie so far. I think it's because she just didn't understand what was going on. She was able to follow the plot, but she didn't understand how everything was connected so it was a dissarangement for her. And when Snape had his "I am the Half Blood Prince"-Moment she was like "so what?". She also asked me "Why is the name of this movie HP and the HBP ? Is the HBP even important?"
Exactly! The film had like three different storylines which didn't feel connected to each other. The HBP plot took a backseat to the dating stuff and I agree it didnt' feel important at all. I think you're right that some people didn't like it because it confuse them. Many people I know didn't like it either. I don't know why but I think it's mainly because "nothing really happened", it lacked a proper climax and some action and a more fast-paced, clear and focused plot. Some other people I have talked to liked it, though, and that's because it was funnier and warmer than OOTP and reminded them of the magic and the joyment at Hogwarts in the first films.

Old October 29th, 2009, 3:52 am
Third Year

I've been trying to get my sister to read the books for some time now, but she couldn't get past PS. But anyway, she has watched all 6 movies. And I have told her everything about the books, but apparently she forgot what I told her, because after watching HBP she said this:
* I wanted Snape to be good, Why can't Snape be good?
* that scene in the streets of London looked like that old HBO intro for movies
That's all.

Old October 29th, 2009, 4:17 am
Hogwarts Graduate

My principal asked me this Monday " Why , Why did Hermione have to fall for Ron and not Harry? I wanted her to be with Harry ."

It took me by surprise that he cared about Potter and wanted that to happen , I of course explained Hermione never saw Harry as a boy but more as a brother, as a griend. But still he was dissappointed. Nevertheless, watching him express his dissappointement was quite funny for me and I did have fun explaining to him why Ginny was the right girl for Harry.

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old October 29th, 2009, 3:27 pm
Fourth Year

I don't like it when people think that Harry would fall in love with Hermione. They're just friends, and only a non-hp fan would say that.

Old October 29th, 2009, 7:04 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonks_Animagus View Post
I don't like it when people think that Harry would fall in love with Hermione. They're just friends, and only a non-hp fan would say that.
I guess you're not familiar with the group within the HP fandom known as "Harry/Hermione shippers" then. I'm not saying that I'm one of them though.
As for the HBP movie, Harry actually tells Dumbledore (and the audience) that he's not in love with Hermione. They can't get any clearer than that, can they?

Old October 29th, 2009, 7:13 pm
Fourth Year

Agreed. Also, when did Harry showed kind of no friendship love to Hermione? When Ron did, do you remember in PoA, the scene with Hippogriff?

Old October 29th, 2009, 7:29 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonks_Animagus View Post
People who watch the movies would say that. Hermione is becoming a very important character in the movies. We were just talking about this in another thread. So, maybe it's natural for non-reader to assume that.

Old October 30th, 2009, 10:33 pm
First Year

My husband is a non-reader....and only goes to the films with me because he knows he'll be dead if he doesn't....

That said, he honestly tries to follow along and enjoy them for my sake, but I always have to explain things to him. Bless his heart, he does ask questions, though I think he does it just to humor me.

From the first movie, I've always wondered how non-readers follow along, honestly. I too get the feeling the filmakers assume everyone has read the books. When I watch them I try to view them from a non-reader point of view, and always come away thinking, "How in the world would that make any sense if they haven't read the books!?"

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies