Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Governor Sarah Palin Resigns as Alaskan Governor

Old July 6th, 2009, 4:07 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Re: Governor Sarah Palin Resigns as Alaskan Governor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
They didn't ask to be put into the public's eye.
Since the election Bristol has chosen to be a public figure as an ambassador for the Candies Foundation.

Leaving that to one side the overriding theme (as far as could be discerned) from Palin's speech seemed to me to be that being governor was no fun anymore and everything was everyone else's fault.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2009, 4:07 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
She for sure had a reason, without reason she wouldn't have done it. Reasons that are important to her. But maybe she thinks that the public thinks her reasons are stupid and that's why she's not revealing them.
I read the speech and apparently she's doing it so less money will be wasted defending her title as governor and more on actually useful things. But even if we take her word for it, she's still quitting

but I definitely agree with her about how ridicculous the media is, but to resign over that seems pointless to me since its still pretty likely they'll attack her sucessor as well

Is it just me or does Palin seem to be treated like a celebrity more than a politician sometimes?

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Last edited by Voldemorts8thHorcrux; July 6th, 2009 at 5:27 pm.
Old July 6th, 2009, 4:14 am
Renegade

I didn't "get it" either. That speech was so garbled I found myself distracted by the wild birds in the background. One or twice I thought I heard little Trig making sounds.

Here's an example of overkill: Palin's Attorney Threatens Media.

PoliticoRatcheting up her offensive against the news media, Gov. Sarah Palin's attorney threatened Saturday to sue mainstream news organizations if they publish "defamatory" stories relating to whether Palin is under federal investigation.

In an extraordinary four-page letter, Alaska-based attorney Thomas Van Flein warns of severe consequences should speculation that until now has largely been confined to blogs about whether Palin embezzled funds in the construction of a Wasilla, Alaska, sports arena find its way into print.

"This is to provide notice to Ms. Moore, and those who re-publish the defamation, such as Huffington Post, MSNBC, the New York Times and The Washington Post, that the Palins will not allow them to propagate defamatory material without answering to this in a court of law," Van Flein warned, citing Alaska liberal blogger Shannyn Moore.

If there's a better way to tweak a reporter's curiosity, I don't know what it is. I can't speak to the truth of the embezzlement accusations. An FBI official said yesterday the governor is not a target of a public corruption investigation. So why then would the attorney release a letter containing such a threat? Maybe reporters are nosing around up there. Who really knows?

Palin penned a rather poorly-written entry on Facebook yesterday, arguing that it's in "Alaska's best interest" for her to resign, adding that "[i]t always feels good to do what is right." She also seems to think her decision to walk away from her responsibilities was routine. Indeed, she said she sees a double-standard -as "countless" others have stepped down from one post to seek another, but haven't faced this kind of criticism. Maybe she knows something I don't, but I cannot recall a modern precedent in which a sitting governor quit two years into a first term to pursue a "higher calling."

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old July 6th, 2009, 4:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
Indeed, she said she sees a double-standard -as "countless" others have stepped down from one post to seek another
In my experience, those who step down from a high office usually have overriding reasons (such as health or to "spend more time with their family") or have another post which requires their immediate attention. They don't just up and quit.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old July 6th, 2009, 4:25 am
Queen of Apathy

I think she has made a lot of mistakes with the mainstream media. This new development with the attorney is just another one to add to the list.

First it was her having a public spat with the father of her daughter's baby, then the whole David Letterman thing. Sometimes you have to rise above that kind of stuff when you are in public office.

If she thinks that she doesn't deserve to be questioned about how she handles her job then I truly hope she does not try and seek out a 2012 run. Every politician is going to be asked questions and put under a microscope.

Any threatning of lawsuits should only be in regards to her family. Like if her children or husband were being attacked unfairly on some personal level. Her performance as governor is fair game.

Old July 6th, 2009, 5:03 am
Zonko's Employee

I watched her announcement as soon as the link showed up on my front page. I got the whole lawsuits and money thing. It just didn't make any sense to me (and I don't mean her speech style, which I have even more trouble with since I wrote a paper on it). I just thought it was a really erratic thing to do, and so I tried to see it from a mother's perspective (to give her the benefit of the doubt) and thought maybe it was all too much (thus the "buckling under pressure"). If it was political posturing, it seems...well, I think that celebrity description fits, and that may be good for Hollywood, but it's bad for Washington.

Old July 6th, 2009, 5:35 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysme View Post
If she thinks that she doesn't deserve to be questioned about how she handles her job then I truly hope she does not try and seek out a 2012 run. Every politician is going to be asked questions and put under a microscope.
To be fair, she has been attacked far more than the vast majority of governors or even previous vice-presidential candidates, at least in my t.v.-watching-memory. Living in the state of Georgia, I can honestly say that I hear Sarah Palin's name on CNN more than I hear my own governor's name on my local channels. I heard her name far more than John McCain's during the actual presidential race, for goodness' sake!
And she has been put under a microscope for quite a few more things than just the way she does her job. Her "fitness" as a mother, her "beauty queen" status, her relationship with her husband, and yes, even her children (does anyone remember that rumor that Trig was actually Bristol's baby? Disgusting.) are things that I don't understand and that can cause even the strongest people to falter. If I were Palin, I'd step down for the sake of my family, and if that's what she's doing, then I support her whole-heartedly.

"I am having that kind of day where if the winds blow in a different direction, I am reduced to a gelatinous mass of tear-soaked silly-putty, caterwauling in a heap until someone spoon-feeds me chocolate and tells me I'm pretty."

...anyone got any M&Ms?
Old July 6th, 2009, 5:42 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheree View Post
To be fair, she has been attacked far more than the vast majority of governors or even previous vice-presidential candidates, at least in my t.v.-watching-memory. Living in the state of Georgia, I can honestly say that I hear Sarah Palin's name on CNN more than I hear my own governor's name on my local channels. I heard her name far more than John McCain's during the actual presidential race, for goodness' sake!
And she has been put under a microscope for quite a few more things than just the way she does her job. Her "fitness" as a mother, her "beauty queen" status, her relationship with her husband, and yes, even her children (does anyone remember that rumor that Trig was actually Bristol's baby? Disgusting.) are things that I don't understand and that can cause even the strongest people to falter. If I were Palin, I'd step down for the sake of my family, and if that's what she's doing, then I support her whole-heartedly.
I think I understand how that rumor started...the Trig one. Her daughter leaving school, and then Palin being pregnant and not looking it at any point or something while she did with her other kids. Stupid to speculate on, though, in general. In all honesty, only work performance should've been evaluated.

Old July 6th, 2009, 5:51 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
Some thoughts...

Todd's pregnant...was my first thought when I heard she was quitting.

Seriously, Alaska has nothing to offer her now. The legislature there doesn't just dislike her, it hates her. She's lost a lot of support from the public because she spends all her time running around the country instead of governing. She has only an outside chance at winning a senate race in Alaska.
Now she'll no longer be a lame-duck governor and will be free to stay in the spotlight by working GOP meetings and rallies.

Of course, it ignores the fact that she's adding "half-term governor" to her meager resume. The attack ads will write themselves. ("She quit on the people of Alaska, she'll quit on the people of America")

Right-wingers love her, but nobody else does. Her foreign policy seems based on Kristol's outdated neoconservatism hawkishness (PNAC Group for the curious) and her economic policy consisted of taxing oil companies to give large cash handouts to the population.

But you'd think that at some point somebody would have told her this was a bad idea. She's essentially just reaffirmed all the negative press she's received since she was picked by McCain... not that she hasn't already done that in triple.
Of course this is what Liberals and Democrats want to think. They want to portray Sarah Palin as the best the GOP and Conservatives in general have to offer. I would hardly agree that the Conservatives see Palin as someone to rally around (not that you said that).

There are certainly a few GOP figures that the party should rally around and none of them is named Sarah Palin. I am sure that McCain's people deeply regret picking Palin as his running mate. And they're right. I am not a Palin fan but certainly have nothing against her.

Old July 6th, 2009, 6:03 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
I read the speech and apparently she's doing it so less money will be wasted defending her title as governor and more on actually useful things. But even if we take her word for it, she's still quitting

but I definitely agree with her about how ridicculous the media is, but to resign over that seems pointless to me since its still pretty likely they'll attack her sucessor as well

Is it just me or does Palio seem to be treated like a celebrity more than a politician sometimes?
But to be honest, she should have known that political figures are the most favourite victims of the media. When you see what Bush had to deal with during his terms... I am sure that now after the election things would have calmed down and people forget about her some day. I can't imagine that everyone is looking at Alaska to see if she yet again said something silly in her "regional" speeches, or do you?

The End of the Dream.
Old July 6th, 2009, 6:28 am
(Still) The Nicest Guy Ever.

I think that it is odd that Palin resigned. I understand the points that she mentioned in her speech, but I don't necessarily see how resigning her office would improve that situation. I think that resigning her position rather limits the possibility for her to acquire a elected political position in the future as it removes the much of the residual confidence that future voters may have in her.

Check out TheDailyExcuse for icons, graphics, and additional exciting items!

No Vampires Included.....well maybe a few.

Occasionally you need to jump off a cliff and do things you know are not immediately within your grasp.
Old July 6th, 2009, 6:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
I fully expect to see her flapping around on the national stage, like a fish out of water.
At least she won't be a dead fish going with the flow (Palin's words, not mine).

Ok, I'm still shaking my head over this one. I think she does like the speaking circuit and the attention she can get outside of Alaska. I suspect she thinks she'll step into the GOP leadership vacuum. If she does actually think she'll step into the GOP leadership role, I feel it's a fanciful assumption. I think she has mortally wounded herself since she will tagged with the title of quitter. It's inescapable.

I saw a few conservative commentators mention how she can draw crowds. But they are not the type of crowds that will win elections since her appeal is to far-right conservatives with minimal appeal to independents or middle-of-the-road types. Essentially, she would be preaching to the choir, and that's giving her the benefit of the doubt that she wouldn't draw some of the scarier elements that she did toward the end of the Presidential campaign. If her public appearances do draw those anarchistic types, then she'd be tainted far worse than the title of quitter she has now.

I have yet to see her take any complex or interesting (i.e. novel or thought-provoking) policy positions. She will not be able to continue touting energy independence by chanting: "Drill baby drill," since the problem is quite a bit more complicated than that. And all her claims to energy expertise are linked to Alaska's oil. Without being governor she doesn't really have that to fall back on.

Sometimes dreams do come true

Last edited by ComicBookWorm; July 6th, 2009 at 9:59 am.
Old July 6th, 2009, 7:39 am
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupislune View Post
I think that it is odd that Palin resigned. I understand the points that she mentioned in her speech, but I don't necessarily see how resigning her office would improve that situation.
Same here. She made it sound as if she did a good job in Alaska already and so could move on to greater (or completely different?) goals.
That's what so difficult to understand for me - is it even possible that all jobs are done in a State like Alaska? Wouldn't that rather mean she wants to move on but neclect the duty given to her - by an oath she has sworn?

Politicans who step back from their job usually get my respect. Reasons are often related to family or health issues and I appreciate when humans in such jobs still understand that taking care of one's own life is important at one point. But that's not what she did.
I might have misunderstood her reasons, but if I did understand them right I wouldn't trust her with any other political position.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old July 6th, 2009, 9:31 am
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle View Post
I wouldn't trust her with any other political position.
There you go. Trust is something this woman cannot engender in people. People have told me a lot of the distrust they feel about her comes from the flake factor, but there's so much else to look askance at with Sarah Palin. I was half-hoping she would become the GOP nominee in 2012 because the flake factor alone would more or less guarantee a landslide victory for President Obama.

The press is all over the place on this, but some are following Bill Kristol's take that this is a "risky" move that "may pay off." I beg to differ. All one needs to do is imagine the campaign ads - Can we Trust Her to Finish What She Starts?; Palin Quits When She's Tired, Winners Quit When They're Done; or just string together a few clips from the Mistake by the Lake - to realize there is just no recovering from something like this.

The one really key trait people want in a president is that he or she steady under pressure, not rash, and certainly not prone to spur-of-the-moment freak outs where they just walk away from the job to go to Disneyland.

Sully has a nice collection of comments and reactions from bloggers and news reporters here.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.

Last edited by purplehawk; July 6th, 2009 at 5:15 pm.
Old July 6th, 2009, 10:04 am

Co-incidentally, Vanity Fair had a major story on Palin in its current editon.

Old July 6th, 2009, 10:50 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle View Post
I might have misunderstood her reasons, but if I did understand them right I wouldn't trust her with any other political position.
What I find strange is that she said that she want to do something where she has more influence and can do better things in a new position, but what else could be better and were she could have more influence than while being Governor? What influential position, possibly political, could she aim for?

The End of the Dream.
Old July 6th, 2009, 12:16 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Well she could be aiming for president of the United States.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old July 6th, 2009, 1:43 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Well she could be aiming for president of the United States.
Well, you can write the attack ads yourself if that's the case.

Her speech is filled with memorable text that appears to have been written by the same ones who had written the prior US president's speeches.

From here
The larger reason for Palin's early departure was that she was having no fun. Ever since she returned to Alaska from the national stage, being governor has been a chore. Her political opponents have launched 15 ethics charges against her. The state economy has turned sour, and she got into an ugly squabble over federal stimulus funds. It's much more enjoyable to travel the country waving to adoring crowds of GOP activists.

That sounds more honest.

I don't believe that the GOP will ever want to go near her now. The going got too tough for her. And it just wasn't fun to govern. Thank what deity she had never reached the Whtehouse. Of course, maybe in a roundabout way she's sending that very message to the GOP.

In Sarah Palin's GOP, the leaders keep quitting and the troubles don't.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old July 6th, 2009, 2:02 pm

Apart from anything else, quitting wasn't necessary. Were she just a first term governor from the boondocks the extra time may have been necessary for profile building, but this isn't the case. The 2008 election gave Palin a national (global) profile. All she had to do if she wanted to run in 2012 was knuckle down, finish her term in Alaska and start serious fund-raising and glad-handing after the gunernatorial poll.

This just seems flakier than Christmas in Juneau.

Old July 6th, 2009, 2:17 pm
Curse Breaker

Just a few years ago the honorable thing for a person seeking higher office to do was to resign from their current post. I suspect that Palin has plans and that she resigned from her position because she knew her focus would be on her future plans and not on serving the people of Alaska.

One just has to look to my state, Virginia, and the rising controversy about the lack of attention our Governor is paying to the state (he's also Chairman of the DNC) to understand why.

Without a change in leadership, why would the next four years be any different from the last four years? - - Paul Ryan

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives