Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Comments on: Nomination of Judge Sotomayor to US Supreme Court

Old June 3rd, 2009, 7:47 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Re: Comments on: Nomination of Judge Sotomayor to US Supreme Court

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
I mean, really, who gives a hoot what he thinks?
Everyone who gets in a tizz when he says things like Sotomayor is a racist.

Quote:
The thing I don't get is why the media indulges him.
It sells papers.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:19 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
He's full of it. Bah!
The guy can't get ahead with you guys, can he?

Quote:
I mean, really, who gives a hoot what he thinks?
I do. He is a very intelligent man. I don't agree with him on everything, but his time as Speaker of the House helped this country a great deal.

Quote:
He is a disgraced former House speaker who was forced to resign his House seat by his own caucus. I don't see Dennis Hastert jumping in front of the cameras at every opportunity, nor do I see any former Democratic speakers vying for camera time.
Dennis Hastert probably has nothing to say. If he did, I'm quite sure he would be saying something. Newt Gingrich is a man who believes strongly in his causes, you or I may not agree with everything he says, but he has tried to do what is right - more often than not. Like any human, he's made mistakes in his life. So have I. So have you. So has our present President, and all of our former ones, and yet we still consider some of them to be the greatest.

I do not consider Newt Gingrich a disgrace. I consider him a man who made a mistake, and is still finding his way in this world. As all of us are.

Quote:
He's not announced as running for any position in 2010 and it's way too soon for a presidential run in 2012.

The thing I don't get is why the media indulges him.
Haven't a clue. Probably because he does make sense to them from time to time. *shrugs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Everyone who gets in a tizz when he says things like Sotomayor is a racist.
I had to read that twice because for a second there, it looked like you were stating that any who listen to Gingrich was a racist. I do hope that wasn't the case.

-Tibbetts

"No dictator... No invader... Can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the Universe, than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments, and tyrants, and armies cannot stand. Though it take a Thousand Years. We. Will. Be. Free." -- Citizen G'Kar, Babylon 5
Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:33 pm
Renegade

I have no use for Gingrich. His arrogance from 1994 until his resignation from the House a few years later was very off-putting. His macho role with Bill Clinton resulted in a government shut-down and Gingrich lost big. Moreover, he entered World-Class Hypocrite status, in my book, when he himself was having an affair with a Hill staffer while pursuing Clinton's dalliances in order to impeach him.

Gingrich is supposed to wildly intelligent - an ideas man; yet he hasn't had a new idea in years. I don't know if Gingrich is a racist or not. His politics don't offer a great deal with which to argue otherwise. His attack on Sonia Sotomayor only rubs salt in the wound as far as I can tell.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:39 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Let's discuss more Sotomayor and less Gingrich? And, even if it's a half-apology, isn't it at least an attempt at grace?

I give Lindsey Graham points for honesty, and it sounds like no real surprises in her meetings with Senators yet. I do wish that we'd go back to the days where qualified nominees were given almost every vote, but that doesn't appear to be happening. And, looking at the history, I think it's clear which side started it, although this may be more a function of Republican presidents appointing far more justices in the last 40-50 years than Democratic presidents.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old June 4th, 2009, 12:04 am
Seventh Year

It's a rather half-hearted attempt. And if taken within context of the entire posting, rather insincere.

Old June 4th, 2009, 2:09 am
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
even if it's a half-apology, isn't it at least an attempt at grace?
Not in my book. It reads rather like the kind of apology a 10yo is forced to make when he doesn't feel he was in the wrong.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

August 28, 2013

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old June 4th, 2009, 6:02 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Comments on: US Supreme Court Opening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
Republicans should be overjoyed, but too many are too led by right-wing mouthpieces who have little desire to simply read about her cases and make up their own minds.
Give me a break. Sotomayor has spoken clearly in her controversial decisions and in her offensive belief that a white man would do an inferior job as a judge and that judges should make laws.

Yes, she'll be confirmed (regretfully) but only because the GOP has decided to keep their powder dry given their reduced numbers at the present time. I doubt she'd have much of a chance in prior years.

After studying her publicized career information, she seems to me to be the classic case of one who lets great ability waste away in an ideological crusade.

How sad.

Old June 4th, 2009, 6:46 pm
Renegade

What "controversial decisions," other that Ricci?

She ruled in favor of a racist white male's right to free speech in the case of Pappas v. Giuliani.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensieve
Yes, she'll be confirmed (regretfully) but only because the GOP has decided to keep their powder dry given their reduced numbers at the present time. I doubt she'd have much of a chance in prior years
I don't know where you've been over the past month, but the GOP's "powder" has been anything but dry since well before Sotomayor was even officially nominated. The reason things are calming down, I think, is because the polls are trending to the conclusion that they overshot their mark on this one.

The U.S. Senate has previously confirmed Judge Sotomayor - twice - in 1992 and 1998.

August 28, 2013

Old June 4th, 2009, 6:54 pm
Curse Breaker

Re: Comments on: US Supreme Court Opening

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensieve_master View Post
Give me a break. Sotomayor has spoken clearly in her controversial decisions and in her offensive belief that a white man would do an inferior job as a judge and that judges should make laws.
I agree. I think her own statements have made that abundantly clear. Unfortunately , in society today, it's OK to state that you believe whites are inferior, especially white males. And the Constitution is just an old moldy piece of paper.

Quote:
Yes, she'll be confirmed (regretfully) but only because the GOP has decided to keep their powder dry given their reduced numbers at the present time. I doubt she'd have much of a chance in prior years.
I agree, again. She'll be confirmed, probably with large majorities. I can't imagine anything that could possibly derail her nomination.

Without a change in leadership, why would the next four years be any different from the last four years? - - Paul Ryan
Old June 4th, 2009, 7:20 pm
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

I think that Ms Sotomayor's exact words have been quoted so many times in this thread already that it should be abundantly clear to everyone that this
Quote:
her offensive belief that a white man would do an inferior job as a judge and that judges should make laws.
is precisely what she did not say.

Putting words like that in her mouth or painting people's views on the constitution with the broadest brush is not having a discussion. It's mud slinging. Pure and simple.

It looks like this thread is soon due for a pause.

Old June 4th, 2009, 7:22 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
I think that Ms Sotomayor's exact words have been quoted so many times in this thread already that it should be abundantly clear to everyone that this is precisely what she did not say.

Putting words like that in her mouth or painting people's views on the constitution with the broadest brush is not having a discussion. It's mud slinging. Pure and simple.

It looks like this thread is soon due for a pause.
Here is what she said, verbatim: "I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life."

Source for above quote and her comments on legislating from the bench: NY Times

What if she was a white female and had said, "I would hope that a wise white woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a Latino male who hasn’t lived that life."? What would people be saying about such a statement?

Last edited by pensieve_master; June 4th, 2009 at 8:13 pm.
Old June 4th, 2009, 7:34 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensieve_master View Post
Here is what she said, verbatim: "I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life."

Source: NY Times

What if she was a white female and had said, "I would hope that a wise white woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a Latino male who hasn’t lived that life."? What would people be saying about such a statement?
Nothing, because if you put it in context with the entire speech, it's obvious that it wasn't meant to be offensive and that the "white woman" here in question wouldn't be referring to the Latino male as inferior.

Old June 4th, 2009, 8:05 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
Nothing, because if you put it in context with the entire speech, it's obvious that it wasn't meant to be offensive and that the "white woman" here in question wouldn't be referring to the Latino male as inferior.
OK, here's the entire section of the speech from which the offending (to me, anyway) quote comes. Let me say that I recognize I've no chance of changing minds here...but want to make clear that my statements are in full cognizance of the entire speech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotomayor
Whether born from experience or inherent physiological or cultural differences, a possibility I abhor less or discount less than my colleague Judge Cedarbaum, our gender and national origins may and will make a difference in our judging. Justice O'Connor has often been cited as saying that a wise old man and wise old woman will reach the same conclusion in deciding cases. I am not so sure Justice O'Connor is the author of that line since Professor Resnik attributes that line to Supreme Court Justice Coyle. I am also not so sure that I agree with the statement. First, as Professor Martha Minnow has noted, there can never be a universal definition of wise. Second, I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life.

Let us not forget that wise men like Oliver Wendell Holmes and Justice Cardozo voted on cases which upheld both sex and race discrimination in our society. Until 1972, no Supreme Court case ever upheld the claim of a woman in a gender discrimination case. I, like Professor Carter, believe that we should not be so myopic as to believe that others of different experiences or backgrounds are incapable of understanding the values and needs of people from a different group. Many are so capable. As Judge Cedarbaum pointed out to me, nine white men on the Supreme Court in the past have done so on many occasions and on many issues including Brown.

However, to understand takes time and effort, something that not all people are willing to give. For others, their experiences limit their ability to understand the experiences of others. Other simply do not care. Hence, one must accept the proposition that a difference there will be by the presence of women and people of color on the bench. Personal experiences affect the facts that judges choose to see. My hope is that I will take the good from my experiences and extrapolate them further into areas with which I am unfamiliar. I simply do not know exactly what that difference will be in my judging. But I accept there will be some based on my gender and my Latina heritage.
Judge O'Connor was, I believe, trying to say that people of equal talents are equally capable. Judge Sotomayor seems to believe otherwise. If not, she needs to repudiate and apologize IMO.

Last edited by pensieve_master; June 4th, 2009 at 8:07 pm.
Old June 4th, 2009, 8:14 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Before this discussion goes haywire again, i'm going to close and ask that interested parties send me ideas for version 2 via owl. I'll write one up after I get home from work.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives