Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Harry Potter or Twilight?

Old September 8th, 2009, 8:41 pm
First Year

Re: Harry Potter or Twilight?

Lunalovegood i thoroughly intend to read the books!
I love the Harry Potter films but i always enjoy reading the books more, they go into ore detail and i find you learn more about the characters.

Everyone seems to be slagging off Twilight, i don't know if it's because so many people have compared it to HP (thus getting offended) if the author did say that she compared herself to Shakespeare i don't see the problem in that (didn't think he was that good to be honest..... find his work a little..... boring!?) IMO

Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2009, 8:00 am
MODLY CREW

Okay, I just checked the forum this is in and it's called Harry Potter Fun & Games. So how about not turning this into a war zone? There is no reason to drag the comparison down to such levels as rape or no rape and which book makes you sicker. This isn't the Fiction Forum or one of the HP Discussion Forums, it's a Fun and Games area. Just in case this wasn't clear enough:

.:CoS Forums Rules:.
View full rules here
1. CoS Forums is a family friendly forum. Anything we deem inappropriate will be removed, this includes posts, signatures, usernames, images etc. The offending member will be warned. This also extends to websites which contain inappropriate material and the discussion of slash.

You will keep it polite and respectful in here! Posters who cannot extend a little courtesy to their fellow members in a Fun & Games forum will be removed from said forum. Seriously, you guys, this area should not have to be moderated at all! And no minor in search of a HP game should stumble over an abuse or rape discussion.

Old September 9th, 2009, 8:06 am
First Year

TWILIGHT? The saga of Stephenie Meyer? A lot of my friend are reaing it and they said that it's better than Harry Potter series! But, I do not think so! I did not think the series with Harry Potter and Edward can not take the comparison with Harry. Defeated Twilight Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on the Amazon rankings do not mean Harry Potter or not the! His only thought so! Actually say that, you do not decry this it! ^ ^

Old September 9th, 2009, 10:39 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by november_boy View Post
TWILIGHT? The saga of Stephenie Meyer? A lot of my friend are reaing it and they said that it's better than Harry Potter series!
So does mine, but you know wat? Those people, I suppose, have never entered a forum discussion, and base only on their ideas, so they can't understand why HP is better than Twilight in every way.

Old September 9th, 2009, 11:34 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
Friendships were the core point of HP( Ron, Harry, Hermione, Luna etc ) and they made the story worth it. That's the beautiful lesson I learnt out of HP, that true friends stay with you till the very end and that, I think, is a wonderful thing for a book to impart to its readers.

Oh, really? There's a whole list of funny quotes, sarcastic, witty remarks that I adore in HP and I find totally lacking in Twilight.
That wasn't the point being argued. We were arguing as to whether Twilight had no friendship relationships and mind you, it does. I've found many good Twilight quotes as well. Here's a link to some of them. Some by Alice And some hilarity of Jane's concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
Oh no, I mean she cnat do anything without thinking about Edward. She cant function without him.

Sorry but if Meyer wants to write about vampires, she has to do her research and make them vampires. Otherwise call them something else.

Ok, here's the things about the extra chromosomes. IF somehow there was a 'person' who had more chromosomes than normal human being they'd either be a completely different creature (and no, that doesn't include vampire) or they'd die. And IF by some miracle this 'thing' were to survive, they wouldn't be able to impregnate a human which vampires cant do anyway. Vampies can not reproduce. It breaks the whole stereotype of the vampire. Not even SMeyer can explain that away (I'd pay good money to see her try).

I don't think it's the same thing. Even in the few scenes of the book where Edward and Bella aren't together she's still thinking about him.

Edward mentally abuses her. He stalks her, yells at her and then apologises (more than is acceptable) and has complete control over her life. That's abuse.

The message I got was 'fall in love with some hot guy who stalks you'. The book is about Edward/Bella's relationship. The other characters are secondary and not where all the 13 year olds who read these books are getting their ideas about love *cough-lust-cough* from.

Bella was unfairly rude to Eric who was all but unkind to her. She chose to move to Forks and then complained about it the whole time.

But it's ok if he stalks you and controls your life.

I think the main problem Meyer has is people are going to be comparing her to authors who write about real (traditional) vampires, like Anne Rice which spells but nothing but defeat for SMeyer.

I don't think the poster was talking about just vampires. I think HP also breaks many negative stereotypes (NOTE this is not in any way the same as Meyer ignoring years of vampiric history) like kids with glasses being nerdy, girls always worrying about their looks and fussing over boys (where does that second part sound familiar ), large families being unstable etc etc etc. Twilight enforces negative stereotypes.
Bella may not be pleased without Edward but she can function when knowing that he's around. As I frequently say, how would you react should your boyfriend leave you? Wouldn't you be quite upset?

Very well, the vampires shall be called pamvires. Unfortunately for us, we are in no power to do such a change.

Yes, I see the chromosone confusion. Note that vampires cannot reproduce with one another,females are unable to change. I'm confused myself. Is this similar to like a cat and a dog reproducing together? That it shouldn't really happen. At any rate, perhaps vampire genetics works very differently in Meyer's vampires as well. How does venom transfer be impossible to add a chromosone?

We've been told told been told not to discuss abuse fue to the nature of this forum.....................................The message was more than that. Besides, Edward was stalking out of protectiveness, Bella was unaware for most yet she was interested in him all the same. I saw more of a journey of true love not coming easy.

Okay, we'll assume that Eric wasn't interepreted by some people as being arrogant and wishful. :grumle: I don't have the book with me at the moment so I can't look up a specific example. Edward did not control Bella's life. Sure, he influenced it but Bella was okay with it. He merely felt for her safety and thereby tried to stop her being reckless.

Discussing vampire history doesn't get far; it's rather dead ended. Yes HP also shows many power stereotypes and common attitudes towards people like Luna. ( Free your mind!). Twilight has positive and negative stereotypes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keet21 View Post
Lunalovegood i thoroughly intend to read the books!
I love the Harry Potter films but i always enjoy reading the books more, they go into ore detail and i find you learn more about the characters.

Everyone seems to be slagging off Twilight, i don't know if it's because so many people have compared it to HP (thus getting offended) if the author did say that she compared herself to Shakespeare i don't see the problem in that (didn't think he was that good to be honest..... find his work a little..... boring!?) IMO
Thanks Keet! The books are pretty good, ( even if all the others here are saying that the story is dreadful) the film I don't like so much. Precisely, films have a tendency to leave out details that the production team just find unimportant. perhaps you just don't like the older century and locations of Shakespeare. Personally, I think it's the Old English which is more difficult for me.

[quote=Moriath;5413569]Okay, I just checked the forum this is in and it's called Harry Potter Fun & Games. So how about not turning this into a war zone? There is no reason to drag the comparison down to such levels as rape or no rape and which book makes you sicker. This isn't the Fiction Forum or one of the HP Discussion Forums, it's a Fun and Games area. Just in case this wasn't clear enough:

No more talk on the inappropriate topics then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by november_boy View Post
TWILIGHT? The saga of Stephenie Meyer? A lot of my friend are reaing it and they said that it's better than Harry Potter series! But, I do not think so! I did not think the series with Harry Potter and Edward can not take the comparison with Harry. Defeated Twilight Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on the Amazon rankings do not mean Harry Potter or not the! His only thought so! Actually say that, you do not decry this it! ^ ^
Actually, I don't really understand what you are saying. Apparently, twilight is above DH in Amazon which maens many of your friends think Twilight is better? I didn't get the rest. Rephrase maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonks_Animagus View Post
So does mine, but you know wat? Those people, I suppose, have never entered a forum discussion, and base only on their ideas, so they can't understand why HP is better than Twilight in every way.
Then, what of me? I still prefer Twilight even though I participate in many forum discussions, not limited to this one here.

nice to have a trade of opinions.

LUNA LOVEGOOD

unafraid to express her views

intelligent and artistically creative

comforting and understanding

willing to be brave

loyal to friends

How else could I admire her?
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:44 am
Eldest Gruff

Moved to the archives until you get an idea what Moriath's in-thread about respecting each other's opinions and keeping things family friendly could mean. Thanks.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives