Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

The Hunger Games

Old September 15th, 2011, 4:50 pm
Second Year

Re: The Hunger Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
THG sort of plays on that where the Capitol loves watching, but they don't see the other side of it - that kids are forced to be their entertainment.

I was watching "Dance Moms" and "Toddlers and Tiaras" the other day. It made me sick the way the moms are trying to generate - who knows what - fame??? money??? through their kids. And I'm sitting here watching it! The whole thing is so perverse, and I think that is one thing THG is trying to highlight in our current society.
Fair point. The only thing is, THG didn't give us a solution to the highlighted monstrosity that is reality TV. It presents it as repulsive, yes, but the story gave us no way to deal with it. Maybe in the other 2 books...?

--
"Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic."
Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2011, 6:46 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScribbler View Post
I've only read the 1st one so far, and I was shocked at how predictable it turned out to be. From the many ecstatic reviews that I read beforehand, I was hoping for, and frankly expecting, some sort of thrilling climax. Okay, so the 100 or so pages of frantic survival were gripping. But I feel like Collins sidestepped the thing that could've made the book's end really epic- Katniss having to kill Peeta and win the games... or else.
I think the important thing about Katniss' stunt with the berries, and then both of them surviving was that it showed up the Capitol. Katniss knew from her team's urgency that she came across as a girl acting out of desperation and love that she had crossed a line with the berries. Haymitch even directly warned her that the Capitol were furious. She knew from Snow's expression at the after-show that there would be consequences. If Katniss had killed Peeta and won the Games, it would have been just like all the preceding Hunger Games that had been held.

Quote:
And honestly, where was Katniss' heart in all this? Okay, she's a jerk. So's Harry, at times. But the thing is, no matter how grouchy Harry can be, he'd sacrifice himself for his friends without even thinking of it. He was willing to walk to his death surely and calmly, wasn't he? Because it meant saving the people he loved, and even some people he didn't love. I did not get that sense from either Peeta or Katniss.
Katniss' heart was with Prim. She volunteered to be in the Games to save Prim. In District 12, tribute was synonymous with corpse, she explains, as they have only ever had two Victors. Katniss was willing to die to keep her sister safe, but she also decided that she wasn't going down without a fight.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old September 15th, 2011, 10:26 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
Katniss' heart was with Prim. She volunteered to be in the Games to save Prim. In District 12, tribute was synonymous with corpse, she explains, as they have only ever had two Victors. Katniss was willing to die to keep her sister safe, but she also decided that she wasn't going down without a fight.
You're right, of course; it was a smart idea on Collins' part to add Prim. I just wish she was mentioned more. I wish Katniss thoughts lingered on why she was doing it, or on how much she wished she could've seen Prim one last time... that's all. Just little things like that would have made me like Katniss a lot more, I think.

--
"Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic."
Old September 16th, 2011, 11:25 am
Third Year

Hunger Games is one of the best book series I've ever read right after HP. My second cousin from Canada recommended it to me and when I begun reading it I couldn't put the book down. I loved the fact that pretty much everything came as a surprise...

Old September 16th, 2011, 3:21 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Fair point. The only thing is, THG didn't give us a solution to the highlighted monstrosity that is reality TV. It presents it as repulsive, yes, but the story gave us no way to deal with it. Maybe in the other 2 books...?
That's a good point. I don't know if there is a solution. In real life, until people tire of watching other people in 'real' situations Reality TV will persist.

I read another book series recently that reminded me of THG. Not the first book, Sharp North, but the second one Blown Away, both by Patrick Cave. The second one has an interesting Hunger Games-ish bit in it. The gist is that the governmental leaders have a game show as a way to show that genetically superior people should be the ruling class.

Similar to THG where the wealthier districts tend to win the games, vs D12 which is made up of downtrodden and hungry people. Anyway, Blown Away made me rethink what the point of the Games were in THG.

Old September 16th, 2011, 6:18 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
That's a good point. I don't know if there is a solution. In real life, until people tire of watching other people in 'real' situations Reality TV will persist.
Right you are! The thing that bothers is me is that so many people who watch reality TV watch it to complain about it (If you've ever read the Television Without Pity boards, you'll see what I mean). I include myself in that, because there is a stupid show that I watch, despite hating it and the people on it. Since so many people watch to snark on shows like that, ratings will be there and they will persist. It must have something to do with our human nature to watch shows we don't like

Old September 16th, 2011, 8:33 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
You're right, of course; it was a smart idea on Collins' part to add Prim. I just wish she was mentioned more. I wish Katniss thoughts lingered on why she was doing it, or on how much she wished she could've seen Prim one last time... that's all. Just little things like that would have made me like Katniss a lot more, I think.
I would have liked to have seen Katniss' relationship with Prim developed more, too. However, she does think a number of times about Prim watching the Games at home, she doesn't want Prim to see her suffering if Cato gets to her.
Rue reminds her of Prim - another innocent child, so much younger than the other competitors, and too young to be part of something so horrific. She also thinks at one point, that if she is to die, Peeta's victory would benefit Prim and her mother, whereas another tribute's victory wouldn't.

"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old September 19th, 2011, 8:22 am
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScribbler
The books are written from the victims' point of view, so naturally they wouldn't give us a solution. However it shows how the victims themselves deal with it and their refusal of such treatment. That is all focused on in the two other books, which I think you should give a chance to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherD
Right you are! The thing that bothers is me is that so many people who watch reality TV watch it to complain about it (If you've ever read the Television Without Pity boards, you'll see what I mean). I include myself in that, because there is a stupid show that I watch, despite hating it and the people on it. Since so many people watch to snark on shows like that, ratings will be there and they will persist. It must have something to do with our human nature to watch shows we don't like
I'm pretty sure it says somewhere that people were forced to watch the Games. It wasn't exactly a matter of choice. As for the people in the Capitol, not necessarily all of them enjoyed the Games even though they watched them and were even involved in organising them; we never get to see much of the Capitol's people. Cinna is an example of someone who took part in the Games and didn't enjoy or approve of them, as well as Peeta's stylist, (don't remember her name), not to mention people who had larger role in the Games in later books.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old September 19th, 2011, 10:05 pm
Second Year

I read Catching Fire, and I actually liked it better than the first. It definitely wasn't as exciting, and I loathe the love triangle between Peeta, Katniss, and Gale, but the characters have definitely become more likable.
Am I the only one the facepalmed at the part in the book where it was announced that Katniss had to be in the Games again?

--
Old September 20th, 2011, 7:42 am
Malum Veneficus

I think Katniss going back to the Games once more was really an unexpected turn and a little disappointing because I thought it would feel repetitive. But I'm glad it turned out to be quite different from the first Games.

I'm glad you liked Catching Fire better. It's probably my favourite out of the three, though I still like both book 1 and 3 a lot. I like most of the new characters introduced in Catching Fire, mainly Finnick and Johanna. Also some of the existing characters recieved a lot of character development, such as Haymitch. After reading Catching Fire, he became one of my favourite characters.

I'm not generally fond of love triangles, but I was okay with that one. It didn't feel forced, or that it was just written for the sake of throwing some romance in the book. I think Katniss had strong reasons to like both Peeta and Gale and it worked for me.

Old September 20th, 2011, 9:26 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
I'm not generally fond of love triangles, but I was okay with that one. It didn't feel forced, or that it was just written for the sake of throwing some romance in the book. I think Katniss had strong reasons to like both Peeta and Gale and it worked for me.
Completely agree. I could understand her feeling torn between both guys.

I also agree with what you said about Katniss having to back into the games being an unexpected turn--as I was reading that, my mind was racing wondering what was going to happen since I knew they wouldn't have a repeat of the previous games. For me, it was an "Oh no they didn't!" moment, I couldn't believe the cruelty of making these people go back into the ring, and I figured it was going to be more treacherous the second time around.

Old September 26th, 2011, 6:48 pm
First Year

Spoiler: show
I love 'The Hunger Games' but does anyone else think that the second book seemed very rushed and jumpy, the time in The Hunger Games seemed shorter aswell and more rushed... like Suzanne Collins wanted it out of the way... and also the ending of the last book Prim dies and they overthrow the Capitol but then it seems very rushed and the chapter explaining their lives at the end seems very rushed also...
just my opinion though, if you think different please tell me!

'A funny memory can get you through anything!'~ me

Wit Beyond Measure is Mans Greatest Treasure

discendum rideat vivamus amorem ~MY MOTTO
Old September 27th, 2011, 5:26 am
Third Year

I thought it was well done, and I enjoyed it very much (though it did have too much angst for my tastes, especially the first book). But I always felt like it could have been more.

I thought the whole District 13 subplot could have been handled better, and I thought there were a few areas that could have provided a better explanation or a slower pace.

But I thought the concept was excellent, and the general plot kept me wanting to find out what happened next.

Old September 28th, 2011, 11:08 am
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaRonDobby View Post
I love 'The Hunger Games' but does anyone else think that the second book seemed very rushed and jumpy, the time in The Hunger Games seemed shorter aswell and more rushed... like Suzanne Collins wanted it out of the way... and also the ending of the last book Prim dies and they overthrow the Capitol but then it seems very rushed and the chapter explaining their lives at the end seems very rushed also...
just my opinion though, if you think different please tell me!
I also got the feeling that Collins wanted to get Catching Fire done quickly, to get to the whole rebilion thing in Mockingjay - which was probably the most important part of the trilogy. It didn't make me enjoy the second book less, though. It makes sense for those Games to be faster than the previous one. After all, the participants that time have been through the Games before and many of them were not scared to kill. And the others were merely waiting for a way out of the Arena. Unlike the first time when all the participants were fighting hard for survival, even the weakest (like Rue) lasted for a relatively long time.

As for the overthrow of the Capitol being rushed, I also agree here. Unfortunately we got to see only what Katniss saw. And while that was important and crucial to the fall of the Capitol, it wasn't everything that happened. There's a reason I don't like first-person POV, .

Old September 28th, 2011, 6:29 pm
First Year

'A funny memory can get you through anything!'~ me

Wit Beyond Measure is Mans Greatest Treasure

discendum rideat vivamus amorem ~MY MOTTO
Old November 7th, 2011, 11:59 pm
First Year

WOW-I really thought that there should have been some "Team Peeta" and "Team Gale" going on-everything. Actually,one of my favorite authors wrote on her blog"...but I heard that the Hunger Games movie will make it look like Mary Poppins." I love that line.

Old November 8th, 2011, 12:58 am
Second Year

Did anyone else think that the blood bath at the end of book three was a little much? I mean, JKR certainly kills her share of characters, so it's not unusual, but in THG there were so many characters that I was expecting to see or hear from again, that just end up dead, like Cinna, or Darius and the Avox girl. And I thought that many of the deaths at the end were unnecessary for the plot, like Finnick's. (Poor Annie!)

Old November 8th, 2011, 6:39 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
I agree that it wasn't just about throwing in some romance - a large part of what Katniss had to work through was being free to love whom she chose - if she loved Peeta, she wanted it to be because she loved him freely, and not because the Capitol and Peeta's playing the crowd forced them into the role of lovers. It wasn't just "who is Katniss in love with" - Katniss didn't feel free to love anyone, in the romantic sense, until she could choose without any compulsion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nnylarak View Post
Did anyone else think that the blood bath at the end of book three was a little much? I mean, JKR certainly kills her share of characters, so it's not unusual, but in THG there were so many characters that I was expecting to see or hear from again, that just end up dead, like Cinna, or Darius and the Avox girl. And I thought that many of the deaths at the end were unnecessary for the plot, like Finnick's. (Poor Annie!)
Some of the deaths in Mockingjay were unexpected and harsh, but maybe that was what Collins was aiming for - making the point war is unpredictable, and the victims aren't always combatants, like Cinna and the Avox girl.

Old November 16th, 2011, 4:51 am
First Year

Hi.[spoiler]My favorite part was in 'Mockingjay' when at the end of a chapter Katniss says"Peeta now see's me for who I am, and I hate him for that." From the points leading up to that what happened, my soul was a wreck. I was hurt and confused and happy all at the same time. I am not sure why I was happy.I couldn't belive Susan thought to make the mutts in book 1. I felt so bad when Rue-dog was trying to kill them.If it was Cato vs. Katniss(with Peeta dead) I would've been dying to have him kill Katniss. That is jusst creul./SPOILER]Bye

Old November 21st, 2011, 2:33 pm
First Year

Quote:
I only read THG a couple of month ago... I think it was late August, early September, while I was still waiting for my Pottermore owl .
I read it in one day which means that I absolutely loved it.

I think that Collins did right with Katniss' character. She was in a life-threatening situation. You can't afford to go all emotional. Katniss thought a lot about Prim (that's how I felt it anyway), but she needed to stay focus on her goal: stay alive. So, no pity, no emotions.

Also, I just wanted to say that, for once, I find a book that I like where women FINALLY kick some butts lol. Katniss is such a strong and independant character, I love the model/example she can be for girls .

Chamber of Secrets and Pottermore
Sig by NikkyNik. Nice n' Spicy since 1991.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons -
For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction