Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Jodi Picoult

Old July 27th, 2009, 4:22 am
Second Year

Re: Jodi Picoult

I think that The Pact was my favorite. While reading it, I literally couldn't sleep at night. It was just horribly sad.

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2009, 6:56 pm
Second Year

I fell in love with her last summer, after reading "My Sister's Keeper". Haven't gotten around to see the movie yet, unfortunately.

Since, I've read:
- Harvesting the Heart
- Vanishing Acts
- Picture Perfect
- The Tenth Circle

I liked them all. Mrs Picoult just has the fascinating talent to describe aspects of human personalities in such full, rich, honest detail. Amazing.

“Tell me one last thing,” said Harry.
“Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?”
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry,
but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”
Old August 3rd, 2009, 11:00 pm
Second Year

I've read quite a few and I like most of them. Some of my favorites have been Nineteen Minutes, My Sister's Keeper, The Pact, Picture Perfect, and Plain Truth.
There have been movies on the Hallmark channel for Plain Truth and The Tenth Circle. They are good but not sure if they completely do justice to the books. I have not seen My Sister's Keeper yet and not sure if I will. I know people who have seen it, so I know how it differs from the book...if I see it, I'll rent it on DVD.

Old July 28th, 2010, 9:21 am
Malum Veneficus

Okay, so I started reading My Sister's Keeper a few days ago. I have to say that I like the story and the events. But I don't like how it switches so quickly from one PoV to another. Also it switches between scenes in the past and the present that you don't even understand whether it happened long ago or is happening now. I find it very confusing, to be honest.

I'm now about sixty pages in and nothing happened so far except that the young girl went to the lawyer and her parents found out what she'd done. I think its a bit slow. It failed to hook me so far. .

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old July 28th, 2010, 9:52 am
Registered Animagus

Most (if not all, from memory) of her books switch times and POVs. It's a technique that takes a little getting used to, but I for one really enjoy how Picoult does it. I don't like amny books that go from a-b, I like to be taken for a bit of a ride.

Again, most of her books start like that. Something dramatic happens right at the start, then it slows down, then it gets going right to the end. I really suggest you read the whole thing, it's a wonderful and very moving book IMO.
Also check out Nineteen Minutes and House Rules if you get the chance (the latter is a little slow but still great).

Old July 28th, 2010, 3:01 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
Okay, so I started reading My Sister's Keeper a few days ago. I have to say that I like the story and the events. But I don't like how it switches so quickly from one PoV to another. Also it switches between scenes in the past and the present that you don't even understand whether it happened long ago or is happening now. I find it very confusing, to be honest.

I'm now about sixty pages in and nothing happened so far except that the young girl went to the lawyer and her parents found out what she'd done. I think its a bit slow. It failed to hook me so far. .
I'm not too fond myself of author's switching view points like that. I tend to stay away from them; Picoult however, did a pretty good job with My Siter's Keeper. I didn;t really mind it as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
Most (if not all, from memory) of her books switch times and POVs. It's a technique that takes a little getting used to, but I for one really enjoy how Picoult does it. I don't like amny books that go from a-b, I like to be taken for a bit of a ride.
Hmm...not too sure if I'd go for another of her works if they're like this.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old July 29th, 2010, 2:29 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria
Again, most of her books start like that. Something dramatic happens right at the start, then it slows down, then it gets going right to the end. I really suggest you read the whole thing, it's a wonderful and very moving book IMO.
I just finished it and I'm glad I read it all. The end I have to say was very unexpected and equally touching. I still think, though, that it was quite confusing. Sometimes I lost track of whose PoV it is. Also the frequent switching made it quite difficult for me to relate to any of the characters. I didn't like any of them at first. But, lately, I think I became fond of Anna, knowing that she wasn't that selfish or heartless.
Another thing, I felt that the book contained too much information that wasn't important. Which I think is what slowed down the book so much.

I generally like the book a lot, but I think that's a book whose movie I might like much better than the book itself. I'll try to watch it soon.

Quote:
Also check out Nineteen Minutes and House Rules if you get the chance (the latter is a little slow but still great).
I already got Nineteen Minutes, but like Hanna, I don't think I'll go for another of Picoult's books, right now.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old August 13th, 2010, 1:52 pm
First Year

The first Picoult book I read was The Pact and I really enjoyed it, I ended up going through most of her books quite quickly after that but one thing I did find was that I started the book looking for the twist that I knew was coming. I still enjoy her writing though, they're easy reads and still interesting. I was shocked at the difference between the book of My Sister's Keeper and the movie!

Old August 25th, 2010, 3:18 am
Third Year

I have read all of Jodi Picoult's books to date, My faves are 'The Pact' and 'A Plain Truth'

I went and saw the movie and I HATED that they didn't include the twist at the end. I left the cinema feeling cheated.

I find I have to read a few different books in between reading Picoult's books, because I find I get bored with her style of writing and I end up predicting the ending too easily.

Ravenclaws: Study Hard, Party Harder!
Old August 25th, 2010, 6:08 pm
Sixth Year

Hey, JP fans! her new book's coming out next year, and it's called Sing You Home. I can't wait. http://www.jodipicoult.com/

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old August 25th, 2010, 11:28 pm
Third Year

SING YOU HOME explores what it means to be gay in today’s world

Instantly interested! Bring on 2011!

Ravenclaws: Study Hard, Party Harder!
Old June 21st, 2011, 10:20 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I've just read Handle With Care, and while I enjoyed the story itself, and the characters, I was disappointed with the ending.
Spoiler: show
It just seemed too similar to the ending to My Sister's Keeper, which was so sad, but it seemed to fit well with the story. Here, it just didn't seem right. It seemed jarring, and, I suppose, a bit repetitive.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 12:17 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
I've just read Handle With Care, and while I enjoyed the story itself, and the characters, I was disappointed with the ending.
It just seemed too similar to the ending to My Sister's Keeper, which was so sad, but it seemed to fit well with the story. Here, it just didn't seem right. It seemed jarring, and, I suppose, a bit repetitive.
I found the ending really jarring as well, I mean it took me by surprise, definitely didn't see it coming but was it really necessary? I think it had the problem of making most of the story and everything they fought for seem kind of irrelevant too if that makes sense. But it is one of my favourites of hers because the rest of the book is brilliant, and I think it's a good sign that I found the ending as upsetting as I did because it meant I'd come to care about Willow strongly.

I read Sing You Home recently and absolutely loved it! Think it's become one of my favourites of hers I loved the relationship between the two characters, and I loved the inclusion of music therapy and finding out more about that. The soundtrack really fitted with the book as well and added to the experience, I thought that was a brilliant move

I think her recent books have been my favourites so far, House Rules, Handle With Care and Sing You Home. Recently I read Picture Perfect and Second Glance for the first time and have to say I was disappointed with them.

Proud Pottermore and CoS Hufflepuff!
Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:31 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopophorousBean View Post
I found the ending really jarring as well, I mean it took me by surprise, definitely didn't see it coming but was it really necessary? I think it had the problem of making most of the story and everything they fought for seem kind of irrelevant too if that makes sense. But it is one of my favourites of hers because the rest of the book is brilliant, and I think it's a good sign that I found the ending as upsetting as I did because it meant I'd come to care about Willow strongly.
I suppose there is that - it does mean that I had come to care about Willow. But I think it cheapens a story to put in an unhappy ending, or a twist like that, seemingly just for the sake of it. I thought the ending to My Sister's Keeper, while also really sad, it felt fitting, and there was some conclusion afterwards - we learned how the family dealt with the aftermath.

Quote:
I read Sing You Home recently and absolutely loved it! Think it's become one of my favourites of hers I loved the relationship between the two characters, and I loved the inclusion of music therapy and finding out more about that. The soundtrack really fitted with the book as well and added to the experience, I thought that was a brilliant move
She does seem to do that with her books - something thematic at the beginning of each section, like the recipes in Handle with Care.

I think multiple perspectives is a good choice for the type of story Picoult writes.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.

Last edited by FurryDice; June 23rd, 2011 at 11:33 pm.
Old June 29th, 2011, 12:26 am
Third Year

Picoult is my favorite author because she delves into topics that are so relevant to the present day, such as Sing You Home (which I have yet to read! eek!) with engrossing plots that always make you think. I actually like the way she switches POV because it gives you a chance to see into the minds of both the "good" and "bad" characters.

I first read Nineteen Minutes and, while it was so hard to get through, it put my life into perspective. Peter's POV was always interesting to read, getting to know exactly why he did what he did.

I recently read The Pact which I absolutely loved. It's an emotional read, for sure, but it deals with matters close to the heart and ends with a classic Picoult twist. Quite possibly my favorite of hers.

I also love Handle With Care, The Tenth Circle, My Sister's Keeper, and Picture Perfect.

I know I'm late to comment on the movie of My Sister's Keeper, but I will say that while it was really well done, I HATED that they changed the ending. I don't know why they did that.

Hufflepuff Pride
Old August 9th, 2011, 2:24 am
Second Year

Picoult is my favorite author besides Rowling hands down. Her books have such an emotional impact on me, and she is such a splendid writer. My Sisters Keeper was the first book of hers that I picked up, and it was the first book that made me cry. I reread it every summer now, and I still find myself sobbing over some parts.

That said, that movie ruined the novel for me. Maybe on it's own, the movie wasn't too bad. But in comparison to the novel... There is no comparison. Sorry if I'm stepping on any toes with my opinion. But I'm being honest.

July 15th!

Siggie by me, pic used with permission from tiffany
Old April 2nd, 2012, 10:23 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Well I see you all praising how good she is, but I guess I picked up the wrong book. I just finished Salem Falls and wasn't too impressed by it. It reminded me of The Crucible, which happens to be one of my favorites. I have a few of her other titles with me, so I won't put her down to harshly until I read another. I did in fact enjoy My Sister's Keeper. So, which should I pick up first, Nineteen Minutes or The Tenth Circle?

Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....

Last edited by xhanax315; April 2nd, 2012 at 10:38 pm.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 9:25 am
Second Year

The tenth circle was one of the books by her I enjoyed the least!
Go for Nineteen Minutes, it's awesome. House Rules or Change of Heart are wonderful, too.

“Tell me one last thing,” said Harry.
“Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?”
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry,
but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”
Old May 15th, 2012, 4:46 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Nineteen Minutes turned out just as Salem Falls. I wasn't the least bit impressed and I don't think I was won over by her writing. I will admit she had an intriguing concept with this story, but it immediately went down the drain when she jumps back and forth between time frames. I found it really annoying how the chapters jumped back and forth from memories, I found it sloppy and all over the place. I also couldn't help but notice all the similies she throws in on practically every paragraph. She also weighs heavily on sterotypes throughout this book. In the back of the book it has a question and answer session, and she claims to have "researched" this story with actual school shootings that occurred, but it didn't quite seem like it. I don't know whether or not I will eventually pursue Tenth Circle, but I know I'm not going to read that next. Unfortunately I lost faith in hoping she'd be an author I'd grow to like.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction