Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Little Questions Answered v.20

Old September 1st, 2012, 4:35 am
Curse Breaker

Re: Little Questions Answered v.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrormere View Post
Aren't seasonings food? If you can transform food, can't part of it be transformed into spices and sauces?
Yes, but you'd need to have the seasonings to begin with, just like you'd have to have the potatoes, etc. I don't think they had anything but a bit of salt for seasoning; so they could increase the amount of salt they had on hand to use, but not make it from something else. I think the "transforming" is about making it taste better....when Hermione's fighting with Ron about the food, she quotes the law & then says next time Ron can "try to charm the ingredients" into something edible. So I think it's not real transfiguration, it's a charm to make the food more appealing.

....I miss David Tennant....
Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2012, 4:43 am
First Year

Two things. I'll get straight in to it:

1) Where was Filch was during the Battle of Hogwarts? I can't suspect he'd have been much able to defend himself in the fight. I know McGonagall sent him off to 'Find Peeves' but I mean much later on in the fight. Do you think he evacuated?

2) How on EARTH did Mrs Norris end up hanging by her tail after she was attacked in CoS? It's not like the Basilisk had hands and was able to pick up the stiff Mrs Norris and hang her from the torch bracket.
Likewise, it seems unlikely Mrs Norris would be able to stand on it, thus ruling out the theory that once she was petrified she fell off it and was caught by her tail.

Last edited by GillyweedFan; September 1st, 2012 at 4:49 am.
Old September 1st, 2012, 4:56 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyweedFan View Post
Two things. I'll get straight in to it:

1) Where was Filch was during the Battle of Hogwarts? I can't suspect he'd have been much able to defend himself in the fight. I know McGonagall sent him off to 'Find Peeves' but I mean much later on in the fight. Do you think he evacuated?
Good question....I'll have to look around; but as he had no magic, perhaps he had to stay out of the fight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyweedFan
2) How on EARTH did Mrs Norris end up hanging by her tail after she was attacked in CoS? It's not like the Basilisk had hands and was able to pick up the stiff Mrs Norris and hang her from the torch bracket.
Likewise, it seems unlikely Mrs Norris would be able to stand on it, thus ruling out the theory that once she was petrified she fell off it and was caught by her tail.
Ginny did it all, under control of Riddle; she had gaps in her memory at the time, although she did remember things later, after the diary was destroyed.

Old September 1st, 2012, 5:00 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
Ginny did it all, under control of Riddle; she had gaps in her memory at the time, although she did remember things later, after the diary was destroyed.
Wouldn't this mean she was dangerously close to the Basilisk though? I always assumed she just opened up the Chamber and scurried off, because if she was that close to the Basilisk, there was always that chance of looking into its eyes....and then, well, death.

Old September 1st, 2012, 7:43 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Wouldn't this mean she was dangerously close to the Basilisk though? I always assumed she just opened up the Chamber and scurried off, because if she was that close to the Basilisk, there was always that chance of looking into its eyes....and then, well, death.
Yes, I think that's it; she merely opened the chamber. Also Riddle would have kept her safe because he wanted to use her soul to restore himself.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old September 1st, 2012, 8:01 am
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
I think that, given Tom Riddle was controlling the monster, it would have sharp instructions not to look Ginny in the eye, lest Tom need to start back at square one. Ginny was likely in no real danger as long as Tom wanted to use her body.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old September 1st, 2012, 6:36 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
I think that, given Tom Riddle was controlling the monster, it would have sharp instructions not to look Ginny in the eye, lest Tom need to start back at square one. Ginny was likely in no real danger as long as Tom wanted to use her body.
The basilisk only comes when it's called. Riddle could have had Ginny stage the cat after the incident.

Old September 1st, 2012, 7:27 pm
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
The basilisk only comes when it's called. Riddle could have had Ginny stage the cat after the incident.
Exactly, but I also don't think there would be an issue with her being present or nearby at the time of the attack, because the basilisk would, I think, avoid staring at its master.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old September 1st, 2012, 10:16 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Exactly, but I also don't think there would be an issue with her being present or nearby at the time of the attack, because the basilisk would, I think, avoid staring at its master.
Good point....plus, Riddle wanted Ginny alive until the end.

Old September 2nd, 2012, 3:29 am
First Year

Sounds pretty reasonable that Riddle could tell the Basilisk to not look at Ginny. Thanks!

That attack does seem quite pointless though.
The snake came out of the bathroom, travelled about five metres from the bathroom to the corridor to only petrify a cat and then return back to the bathroom! I guess I just never really understood some of the attacks in CoS! :P

Old September 2nd, 2012, 12:08 pm
Second Year

Was lucious Malfoy aware that through that diary COS could be opened?He wasnt aware of it being a horcrux??If not,how's that Dobby knew that COS was about to be opened ,as he warned harry beforehand and tried to stop him from getting back???
Doby also told harry that the chamber has been opened before?How did he know about that?

"By all means continue destroying my possessions,Harry. I daresay I have too many."
Old September 2nd, 2012, 2:25 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Phoenix89 View Post
Was lucious Malfoy aware that through that diary COS could be opened?He wasnt aware of it being a horcrux??If not,how's that Dobby knew that COS was about to be opened ,as he warned harry beforehand and tried to stop him from getting back???
Doby also told harry that the chamber has been opened before?How did he know about that?
Malfoy knew from Voldemort that the diary would cause the Chamber to be opened. He also knew that it was opened before, that's how Dobby knew it. He probably heard Lucius talking about it. Perhaps when he was telling Draco.

Voldemort didn't tell Malfoy how the diary worked or that it was a horcrux.

Old September 2nd, 2012, 8:14 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
In no danger from the basilisk. She was in the very real danger of Riddle draining her strength and taking her life to restore his own. She was in very real danger the moment Malfoy gave her that diary.

Quote:
That attack does seem quite pointless though.
The snake came out of the bathroom, travelled about five metres from the bathroom to the corridor to only petrify a cat and then return back to the bathroom! I guess I just never really understood some of the attacks in CoS! :P
Well, he did also make Ginny write that message on the wall at the scene of the attack. It seems that the first attack was like a warning, and scoping things out. Painting that giant threat on the walls made people afraid. It does fit in with his sense of importance (can't just go about quietly murdering people without making it known) and his desire to make people afraid - it's a bit like the idea the real, adult Riddle had of casting the Dark Mark when he or his DEs murdered people. Spreading fear, gloating about the attack was part of the plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Phoenix89 View Post
I think Lucius did know the diary would cause the Chamber to be opened. However, he did not know it was a horcrux, or he would have been much more careful with it.

Draco knew that Lucius had something to do with it. Lucius told him that last time the Chamber was opened, a Muggleborn died. He also told Draco to keep his nose out and not get caught up in it. Lucius knew well what the diary did, he just didn't know what it was. I like wolfbrother's suggestion that this is how Dobby knew about it.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 10:45 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Is there ever an instance of Harry apparating by himself? I assume once all the Voldemort kerfuffle died down, he got his license, but I'm curious if he ever did it without Ron or Hermione or someone else.

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old September 4th, 2012, 12:38 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul View Post
Is there ever an instance of Harry apparating by himself? I assume once all the Voldemort kerfuffle died down, he got his license, but I'm curious if he ever did it without Ron or Hermione or someone else.
Not alone, but at the end of HBP, it is clear that Harry apparated Dumbledore and himself from the cave entrance, rather than DD doing it.

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.
Old September 4th, 2012, 1:42 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus Diggle View Post
Not alone, but at the end of HBP, it is clear that Harry apparated Dumbledore and himself from the cave entrance, rather than DD doing it.
All of them apparated alone and together throughout DH. Often it was Hermione but not always. Here's one excerpt from DH; Harry had gone out in search of news in the wizarding world prior to their infiltration at the Ministry:

DH, chapter 12, page 224 US hardcover
Meanwhile, inside number twelve, Harry had just entered the Hall. He had nearly lost his balance as he Apparated onto the top step just outside the front door, and thought the Death Eaters had caught a glimpse of his momentarily exposed elbow. Shutting the front door carefully behind him, he pulled off the invisibility cloak, draped it over his arm, and hurried along the gloomy hallway toward the door that led to the basement, a stolen copy of the Daily Prophet clutched in his hand.

Old September 4th, 2012, 2:02 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
All of them apparated alone and together throughout DH. Often it was Hermione but not always. Here's one excerpt from DH; Harry had gone out in search of news in the wizarding world prior to their infiltration at the Ministry:

DH, chapter 12, page 224 US hardcover
Meanwhile, inside number twelve, Harry had just entered the Hall. He had nearly lost his balance as he Apparated onto the top step just outside the front door, and thought the Death Eaters had caught a glimpse of his momentarily exposed elbow. Shutting the front door carefully behind him, he pulled off the invisibility cloak, draped it over his arm, and hurried along the gloomy hallway toward the door that led to the basement, a stolen copy of the Daily Prophet clutched in his hand.

Thanks!

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old September 4th, 2012, 4:15 am
First Year

I have a question about Prisoner of Azkaban- I apologize if this has already been brought up.

JKR writes that Lupin's briefcase is very old and the letters that spell out "Professor Lupin" are worn and peeling. If he was only a professor this one year, why would the letters be so worn? He makes it sound as if he has never taught before too- when he talks to Harry at the end about the dangers of him being a teacher.

Old September 4th, 2012, 4:46 am
Squee-worthy

I would just imagine that he had "Professor Lupin" magically inscribed into his already old and tattered briefcase.

Old September 4th, 2012, 4:58 am
Zonko's Employee

That was my initial reaction, but then why were the letters worn and faded?

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References