Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Little Questions Answered v.20

Old August 30th, 2011, 1:52 pm
Third Year

Re: Little Questions Answered v.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severus4everus View Post
I've been reading The Chamber of Secrets book again..and there's this one strange part that I don't understand... about what Percy said that GInny saw him do... on page 212

" well, er, if you must know, Ginny, er, walked in on me the other day when i was - well, never mind - the point is, she spotted me doing something and i, um, i asked her not to mention it to anyone. "

what do you think he meant??
I think he was kissing his girlfriend, Penelope Clearwater, as Ginny says she walked in on them at the end of the book.

When Harry and Ron were heading to the Slytherin common room they met Penelope leaving the Dungeons, before they met Percy there. Later she got petrified at the same time as Hermione. They thought Percy was shocked because she was a prefect, but it was because she was his girlfriend.

Old August 31st, 2011, 2:52 pm
First Year

Harry hides in CoS in a "large black cabinet" at Borgin & Burkes...is that the vanishing cabinet?

and also in CoS Pevees slams a Vanishing Cabinet in the floor above Filch's Office....is this the other Vanishing Cabinet and is Peeves diversionary tactic the reeson why it is broken, so Mantague stays stuck in it and Draco has to repair it in Hbp?

Joanne Kathleen Rowling at the London-Premier of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part two

"Voldemort is my past, present and future."
Tom Morvolo Riddle
Old August 31st, 2011, 4:17 pm
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberforth93 View Post
Harry hides in CoS in a "large black cabinet" at Borgin & Burkes...is that the vanishing cabinet?

and also in CoS Pevees slams a Vanishing Cabinet in the floor above Filch's Office....is this the other Vanishing Cabinet and is Peeves diversionary tactic the reeson why it is broken, so Mantague stays stuck in it and Draco has to repair it in Hbp?
Yes to the second one, I'm not sure about the first (but it is likely). Peeves smashes the cabinet, it is then broken, Montague is shoved in and gets lost in it, so someone in Hogwarts has it moved to the RoR.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old September 1st, 2011, 8:47 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberforth93 View Post
I've always thought that it was the vanishing cabinet. I find it kind of funny that Harry stops just short of closing the door all the way... and narrowly avoids being transported to Hogwarts.

However, the Harry Potter Wiki has an interesting tidbit of information. They claim that the cabinet is actually a 'crushing cabinet'. They get this information from the script of the film, though this fact is not actually mentioned in the movie. I know it's not canon, so take it for what it's worth.
Read the article here.

Old September 1st, 2011, 9:01 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nnylarak View Post
I've always thought that it was the vanishing cabinet. I find it kind of funny that Harry stops just short of closing the door all the way... and narrowly avoids being transported to Hogwarts.

However, the Harry Potter Wiki has an interesting tidbit of information. They claim that the cabinet is actually a 'crushing cabinet'. They get this information from the script of the film, though this fact is not actually mentioned in the movie. I know it's not canon, so take it for what it's worth.
Read the article here.
Which is absolutely nothing!

Just goes to show that Wiki is not a reliable source for anything but especially HP.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old September 1st, 2011, 2:54 pm
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

We always need to remember that both this wiki site and the Lexicon are secondary sources.

Old September 2nd, 2011, 12:49 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

When Hermione obliviates Dolohov & Rowle's memories, does that remove everything in their memory or just the specific event? Because when Lockhart gets hit by the backfiring obliviate he loses all sense of who he is/was and is clearly non-functional, but Dolohov at least is recovered enough to be in the battle of Hogwarts.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old September 2nd, 2011, 1:21 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4
When Hermione obliviates Dolohov & Rowle's memories, does that remove everything in their memory or just the specific event? Because when Lockhart gets hit by the backfiring obliviate he loses all sense of who he is/was and is clearly non-functional, but Dolohov at least is recovered enough to be in the battle of Hogwarts.
The memory charm Obliviate is a controlled way of modifying someone's memory. Thus, one could choose to modify one's memory of a specific incident or on a larger scale - we have evidence of both. The Ministry's team of Obliviators modifies Muggles' memories (for instance, Mr. Roberts at the Quidditch World Cup) of specific incidents, and that is what Hermione did in the café. However, Lockhart attempted to completely modify Harry and Ron's memories, but his spell backfired. Thus, it is the spellcaster's intent that decides the potency of the memory charm.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old September 4th, 2011, 5:01 am
Second Year

Okay, so kids go to Hogwarts at the age of 11, right? well how do they learn to read and write before they go to school? do their parents teach them? This has always intrigued me about the wizarding world...

Proud Gryffindor
"Tell them how it happened that night! How you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you, and killed him!"
Old September 4th, 2011, 5:24 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio182 View Post
Okay, so kids go to Hogwarts at the age of 11, right? well how do they learn to read and write before they go to school? do their parents teach them? This has always intrigued me about the wizarding world...
They're home schooled or if they're Muggle-born like Hermione, they go to Muggle schools. Perhaps the wealthy pure-blood families have tutors.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old September 4th, 2011, 6:55 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
They're home schooled or if they're Muggle-born like Hermione, they go to Muggle schools. Perhaps the wealthy pure-blood families have tutors.
Or maybe there are wizard run schools for wizard children that don't specialize in magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
Or maybe there are wizard run schools for wizard children that don't specialize in magic.

Old September 4th, 2011, 7:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
The memory charm Obliviate is a controlled way of modifying someone's memory. Thus, one could choose to modify one's memory of a specific incident or on a larger scale - we have evidence of both. The Ministry's team of Obliviators modifies Muggles' memories (for instance, Mr. Roberts at the Quidditch World Cup) of specific incidents, and that is what Hermione did in the café. However, Lockhart attempted to completely modify Harry and Ron's memories, but his spell backfired. Thus, it is the spellcaster's intent that decides the potency of the memory charm.
Indeed, "Obliviate" seems to be a spell which is 'customizable' in terms of how much memory you can erase, but I think it should be pointed out that "memory modification" is actually a different spell. "Obliviate" refers to the Memory Charm, which is used by Lockhart and others to erase memories to various extents. It would seem that Lockhart was attempting to make it seem as though Ron and Harry had lost their minds, so he went for the full on complete memory loss.

On the other hand, one can also "modify memories," which is what Hermione did to her parents, and Tom Riddle did to Morfin Gaunt, where memory is not so much deleted as altered, and added. Here's the relevant interview quote.

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray

Last edited by willfitz; September 4th, 2011 at 7:15 am.
Old September 4th, 2011, 7:52 am
Zonko's Employee

Jo said magical children from wizarding families tend to be homeschooled by their parents until they turn eleven. They are taught how to read and write by their family. Muggle-born children simply go to regular school from grades K-5 and then transfer to Hogwarts instead of going on to middle school and High-school. Instead of going to grade six, they'd start as a first year at Hogwarts (or whichever magical school they attend in other countries around the world).

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old September 4th, 2011, 8:29 am
First Year

How can Moody see through Harry's invisibility cloak, if it truly is one of the deathly hallows? I'ts stated that the cloak is far superior to other cloaks, and no magic can reveal it, and it should protect you for life, but yet Moody is able to see through it, how's that possible? In OotP Moody is able to see boggard through the ceiling and the closet, yet it is stated in PoA, that no man has seen a boggard? Yet Moody identifies the boggard so surely he has seen one before. And what does he see when he looks in to a boggard? I know this one is asked though, but why are the Weasleys poor? They are wizards, so couldn't they just build up a great mansion just with their magic, or just copy muggle money and buy one for theirselves?

Old September 4th, 2011, 8:34 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
Indeed, "Obliviate" seems to be a spell which is 'customizable' in terms of how much memory you can erase, but I think it should be pointed out that "memory modification" is actually a different spell. "Obliviate" refers to the Memory Charm, which is used by Lockhart and others to erase memories to various extents. It would seem that Lockhart was attempting to make it seem as though Ron and Harry had lost their minds, so he went for the full on complete memory loss.

On the other hand, one can also "modify memories," which is what Hermione did to her parents, and Tom Riddle did to Morfin Gaunt, where memory is not so much deleted as altered, and added. Here's the relevant interview quote.
This is correct....... i'm glad that you clarified this because it was questioned in the final book when Hermione Obliviates the death eaters in the cafe' and says just before she does so that she has never done a memory charm before and only knew the theory... which is was thought to be a * BIG * mistake in the 7th book (seeing as how she tells Harry *in detail* in a scene shortly before this how she modified her parent's memories and then sent them to australia for their own safety before she joins Harry and Ron at the burrow to begin their journey) But JK later said in an interview when asked about this that other memory modifying charms and Obliviation are different.... I think, from what i gather, that Obliviate seems to be irreversible by any means, hence Lockhart, which i believe is the main difference between Obliviation and other types of memory modifying charms. I'm still not sure if this was a mistake that was covered up by wordy subterfuge by JK or if she really meant there to be a distinction between the two and that Hermione seemed to be able to do one, but had no experience with the other. It just seems odd that she says shes never used a memory charm before instead of saying she's never obliviated someones memory before. Heres the quote....
"Laura: Did hermione really put a memory charm on her parents she says she did but then about 50 pages later tells ron shes never done a memory charm
J.K. Rowling: They are two different charms. She has not wiped her parents' memories (as she later does to Dolohov and Rowle); she has bewitched them to make them believe that they are different people."

Last edited by crmdy1023; September 4th, 2011 at 9:31 am.
Old September 4th, 2011, 9:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmdy1023 View Post
This is correct....... i'm glad that you clarified this because it was questioned in the final book when Hermione Obliviates the death eaters in the cafe' and says just before she does so that she has never done a memory charm before and only knew the theory... which is was thought to be a * BIG * mistake in the 7th book (seeing as how she tells Harry *in detail* in a scene shortly before this how she modified her parent's memories and then sent them to australia for their own safety before she joins Harry and Ron at the burrow to begin their journey) But JK later said in an interview when asked about this that other memory modifying charms and Obliviation are different.... I think, from what i gather, that Obliviate seems to be irreversible by any means, hence Lockhart, which i believe is the main difference between Obliviation and other types of memory modifying charms. I'm still not sure if this was a mistake that was covered up by wordy subterfuge by JK or if she really meant there to be a distinction between the two and that Hermione seemed to be able to do one, but had no experience with the other. It just seems odd that she says shes never used a memory charm before instead of saying she's never obliviated someones memory before.
Personally, I don't believe it was a mistake, simply because she consistently applies the different terms (modification vs. "obliviation" or the Memory Charm), and because, as you say, Hermione's line was so obvious and was never edited. If it was a mistake, I'd say that it would have appeared differently in later editions.

Joseph Joubert

Last edited by willfitz; September 4th, 2011 at 9:28 am.
Old September 4th, 2011, 4:06 pm
First Year

In The deathly hallows, when the trio is at the Malfoy mansion it says Harry can feel Voldemort flying over dark water, soon be close enough to apperate. Does apperition only work for short distanses? For how long? Is it the same with Port keys? And what about the flunetwork? I thought you could apperate to any place that wasn't protected like Hogwarths?

Old September 4th, 2011, 4:25 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aksu View Post
How can Moody see through Harry's invisibility cloak, if it truly is one of the deathly hallows? I'ts stated that the cloak is far superior to other cloaks, and no magic can reveal it, and it should protect you for life, but yet Moody is able to see through it, how's that possible? In OotP Moody is able to see boggard through the ceiling and the closet, yet it is stated in PoA, that no man has seen a boggard? Yet Moody identifies the boggard so surely he has seen one before. And what does he see when he looks in to a boggard? I know this one is asked though, but why are the Weasleys poor? They are wizards, so couldn't they just build up a great mansion just with their magic, or just copy muggle money and buy one for theirselves?
Invisibility Cloak: I am guessing that the information regarding the Invisibility Cloak can be taken the same as the information about the Elder Wand and the Resurrection Stone. We're told that the Elder Wand is unbeatable - yet it has been beaten several times. We're told that the Resurrection Stone brings people back from the dead, however it merely brings back an echo of that person. Similarly, we're told that the Invisibility Cloak in unpenetrable, yet Moody can see through it. However, the Invisibility Cloak certainly is more powerful than your average invisibility cloak. It's power hasn't weakened over the centuries, and I think (although correct me if I am wrong) it makes the person undetectable on the Marauders Map. It also doesn't reveal the wearer through spells such as "accio".

Boggart: We're told by Lupin in POA that no one has seen what a Boggart looks like unformed. It is entirely possible that he didn't know that Moody could see what they looked like unformed.

Money: I know that there is a thread with a really in depth discussion about this, but I can't seem to find it!

Old September 4th, 2011, 4:37 pm
I want to believe

Quote:
How can Moody see through Harry's invisibility cloak, if it truly is one of the deathly hallows? I'ts stated that the cloak is far superior to other cloaks, and no magic can reveal it, and it should protect you for life, but yet Moody is able to see through it, how's that possible?
I can't remember when this happens - is it in GoF? In any case, I believe Moody's eye is pretty powerful, and can see through many things, including Invisibility Cloaks, despite the fact that Harry's is The Invisibility Cloak. I don't think the Deathly Hallows are invincible to other magics.
Quote:
In OotP Moody is able to see boggard through the ceiling and the closet, yet it is stated in PoA, that no man has seen a boggard? Yet Moody identifies the boggard so surely he has seen one before. And what does he see when he looks in to a boggard?
Moody's eye is such that he can through solid objects. So if that solid object happens to have a boggart inside, he'd be able to see it (in its true form most likely). I suspect he sees a white, wispy, formless cloud, since the boggart would be unable to see him and morph into what he fears.

Quote:
I know this one is asked though, but why are the Weasleys poor? They are wizards, so couldn't they just build up a great mansion just with their magic, or just copy muggle money and buy one for theirselves?
I believe it is implied that the Weasley's house is reinforced by magic, but I'm not sure it's simple to build a whole house with magic. They'd have to buy supplies - they wouldn't be able to create something out of nothing (for the long-term anyway), and I'm assuming they'd have to have knowledge of how to build a house (or at least a spell that would assemble a house). Maybe it does exist, who knows. But as for copying money, that's not very honest, is it? Doesn't sound like something the Weasleys would do. And according to the laws of magic, you can't create money out of nothing that would last long-term.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 4th, 2011, 4:41 pm
Second Year

Are Hogwarts acceptance letters sent on a person's 11th birthday? If so, what happens if your birthday is on September 1 or August 31?

Also, is your year in Hogwarts determined by your age on September 1? For example, Hermione's birthday is later in September, so on September 1 of her first year she was 11, but turned 12 a few weeks later.

Cypress, Unicorn Hair, 9 3/4", Hard

My Pottermore House:

My COS House: Hufflepuff

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References