Re: Ravenclaw House: Group Character Analysis

If you're a buddhist you're a ravenclaw

Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2007, 7:12 am
Second Year

Lol! Funny, but so totally true...

"Prison Mike, what is the very worst thing about prison?"

"The worst thing about prison was...the DEMENTORS!...they were... flyin all over the place and they were scary and they suck the soul out of your body and it hoirts!"

I The Office
Old September 13th, 2007, 12:28 pm
Second Year

Is there a predominant quality that a Ravenclaw must have in order to be a Ravenclaw?

I think the predominate quality for Ravenclaws is a love of ideas, and understanding. Wanting not just to know something but also to understand it. I think when Ravenclaws look at the world they focus on what is not known, what has yet to be discovered, not on what has already been explained.

It appears that Ravenclaw is a resting place for highly intelligent students that lack qualities that Slytherin or Gryffindor would select as in the case of Severus Snape and Hermione. What might be an example of someone almost chosen for one of the other houses but was placed in Ravenclaw?

I would not say that Ravenclaws lack the qualities of either Gryffindor, Slytherin or Hufflepuff, merely that they have different values. For instance we see some very brave Ravenclaws through out the series. There is obviously Luna, who went the the DOM in book 5, was one of the first to fight in the first battle of Hogwarts in book 6, and who fought fiercely and bravely in book 7. Then we also have the fact that characters like Cho came back to Hogwarts to fight in book 7; and that Micheal Corner who bravely tried to free the first years in DH only to tortured for his trouble.

I think that if Hermione had been born into the Wizarding World she may well have been a Ravenclaw. But as a muggleborn she felt a great need to prove herself and be excepted. Hermione viewed Gryffindor as the best by far the best most prestigious house, it was the house she wanted to be in. Being that she had the qualities for of a Gryffindor, and a Ravenclaw but wanted badly to be in Gryffindor that is where the hat put her.

Same with Snape, he wanted to be in Slytherin because he veiwed it as a prestigious house. It is not that he did not have the necessary qualities of a Ravenclaw, or Gryffindor, but that he also had the qualities of a Slytherin and wanted to be in that house.

What are some of the decisions that students from other houses have made that Ravenclaws would decide differently?

I think a Ravenclaw would not have stormed the DOM as Harry did. I also tend to think they would have been more likely to expirament with different ways to destroy the Horcruxes. I think if James or Lily had been a Ravenclaw they would have been their own secret keepers. I tend to think that Ravenclaws are less rash, and more curious then Gryffindors.

What are the significance of Air and the Raven to Ravenclaw?

I think it air is good symbol for Ravenclaw. Air is about what is not seen, it is the one element that is invisible. Just as I think Ravenclaw focuses on what is not known, what is not understood. I also tend to think that Ravenclaw is the house for the free thinkers, and appears to be the one house with out a fixed password (we know both Slytherin and Gryffindor have passwords, though we don't know about Hufflepuff.) That suggests to Ravenclaws wisdom and membership is about more then memorization.

By the way it is an Eagle that is the symbol of Ravenclaw not a raven. I think it fits well, the king of birds, masters of the air.

What is the significance of JKR splitting the students into classes and why did she make Ravenclaw House from a literary perspective?

It creates good guys (Gryffindors) and bad guys (Slytherins). It gives the reader a small group to route for especially in the earlier books when things are much more black and white.

Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw help give balance, and create more of a middle ground between the two more prominent house in the book. It is also a way to keep characters in the back ground until they are ready to come forward. For instance it may have seemed odd that a Harry had noticed a character as distinct as Luna if she was in his house. But her being a in Ravenclaw believably keeps her in the back ground until OotP. It also lets other characters like Cho fade more easily into the background once their main function has been fulfilled.

What new thoughts do you have on Ravenclaw post DH?

I think they have a very interesting founder, and story. I loved the Grey Lady, Diadem story line. I also loved that there was no password for their house but that it was all about reasoning and thinking. DH showed me a lot that Ravenclaw was indeed the perfect place for a character like Luna Lovegood.

The absence of flaw in beauty is itself a flaw

Last edited by Blackcatsmeow; September 13th, 2007 at 12:59 pm. Reason: 1.Formatting Problems 2.Again 3.taking quotes out because the computer hates me!
Old September 26th, 2007, 5:04 am
Second Year

So I'm gonna try to revive this post: RAVENCLAWS, UNITE! Let's chat, ok? Cause we all know how much this house rocks...

"Prison Mike, what is the very worst thing about prison?"

"The worst thing about prison was...the DEMENTORS!...they were... flyin all over the place and they were scary and they suck the soul out of your body and it hoirts!"

I The Office
Old September 27th, 2007, 1:27 am
Fifth Year

The love of ideas.....yeah, that's me.....but, the understanding bit, no, I can't put my hand up for that! With their eagle emblem, that's also me....love anything to do with flying..I'm easy going, I know I'd end up going home on the train.

Old September 30th, 2007, 10:46 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartypants View Post
Ravenclaw are the thinkers, the scientists of Hogwarts. They are not content with learning spells, they experiment and try to understand how magic "really" works. They are very theoretical, and can seem a bit cold and distant to other people.

In a MBTI analysis, Ravenclaws are probably predominantly iNtuitive-Thinkers.

//Smartypants. Total Ravenclaw.
I appreciate that, because every test of those I've taken has told me I'm an ENTP, and I'm also definitely a ravenclaw.

I think that, until Luna, ravenclaws were definitely kind of perceived as being smart people who didn't have any other really dominant traits, but I think that what really sets them apart is the want to learn rather than the ability to learn.

I also don't like the whole book smart thing, I, for one, do really badly in school because I don't care and I don't try. But I like to think, and also make an effort to educate myself on things that I think matter, like world religion and politics and science. I also do agree with Ravenclaws on the whole being more philosophical and intellectual than analytical.

Old October 1st, 2007, 3:30 am
Second Year

Is there a predominant quality that a Ravenclaw must have in order to be a Ravenclaw?

Intelligence, but it can be in many different forms. Philosophic thinking, quick thinking, an excellent memory, and studying very well can all be considered forms of intelligence. Hermione and Luna are both fit for Ravenclaw, but their forms of intelligence are very different.

Also, 'wit and learning' as mentioned in the song, can be important. I think that if you can't study well, but are very witty, or you aren't that bright, but you love to learn, you could still be considered for Ravenclaw.

It appears that Ravenclaw is a resting place for highly intelligent students that lack qualities that Slytherin or Gryffindor would select as in the case of Severus Snape and Hermione. What might be an example of someone almost chosen for one of the other houses but was placed in Ravenclaw?

I think Luna has Hufflepuff qualities. She doesn't start conflicts even though she is teased a lot, and she is very loyal to her father and the DA.

Also, I don't think people are placed in houses because they lack qualities for other houses. The house descriptions are general and debatable, and personalities are complex. People fit into one or more houses, and not by a process of elimination.

What are some of the decisions that students from other houses have made that Ravenclaws would decide differently?

I think that's kind of general... specific people make decisions, not whole houses... like how Marietta betrayed the DA, but Cho and Luna and the other Ravenclaws did not.

Ravens symbolize intelligence in Greek mythology I believe. Their common room is in a tower, which can correspond to air.

What is the significance of JKR splitting the students into classes and why did she make Ravenclaw House from a literary perspective?

Splitting up the students could be to express the importance of each quality required for each house (ex: loyalty and bravery are valued)

It could also be expressing the idea of teenagers splitting themselves into groups so they can find their identity.

I'm not sure, but Ravenclaw (specifically) might be for expressing the value of learning and logic.

I like the question instead of a password. Totally unexpected, and very creative.

"Listening to the news! Again?"
"Well, it changes every day, you see."
Old October 1st, 2007, 5:01 am
First Year

this site kinda helped me

http://ravenclaw.info/

theyre not just smart and creative...but also beautiful?

Old October 10th, 2007, 5:57 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy_weasley2 View Post
I think their intellect is stressed above all other qualities. We see that in the diadem "Wit beyond messure is a man's greatest treasure".

Quote:
Well we really only know a few Ravenclaws really well. Cho and Luna. Michael just a little. I think Luna shows Gryffindor bravery time and time again. But her ability to think outside of the box and her intellect may trump the bravery and that is why she was placed in Ravenclaw.

Quote:
When I think of Air in referance to a house, it makes me think of airhead which none of the ravenclaws are...okay maybe Luna a little, but I think she was far smarter than many. I don't know much about the Raven but their animal is an Eagle not a Raven which can be confusing since Ravenclaw is their name. I believe a Golden Eagle to be precise. I saw a Golden Eagle at the Madison Zoo and it was huuuuge!!! I was blown away by the sheer size of the bird. I don't know much about them or their history, but Eagles are birds of prey and intelligent so it fits with the house's traits.

Quote:
First of all I loved the entrance to the common room that was brilliant! I think they had their day in that Helena was able to help with the tiaracrux and they stayed to fight alongside Hufflepuff and Gryffindor. I also found some of the members to be rather snooty...Helena was kind of that way and maybe it is because I just don't like Cho or Maretta, but they seem (IMO) that they can be rather stuck up at times

Last edited by LoveWeasleys; October 10th, 2007 at 6:00 pm.
Old October 18th, 2007, 5:01 am
Lycanthrope

I was actually quite amazed to discover in DH that one had to solve a logic twister to gain entrance to their house. Imagine some poor student on a bad day when their mind was completely elsewhere standing before the door and barely able to think their name, let alone solve a twister.

However, it did say a lot for the students who were chosen for the house. I think it would have been very interesting to get a closer glimpse at 'life in Ravenclaw'. I imagine them sitting about playing chess and other strategic or logic games; talking about highbrow issues. I wonder if they felt they were a little above those in the other houses due to their intelligence. I suppose it would be natural; all of the other houses seemed to feel their house was the best for whatever reason - although being intelligent, they would perhaps not ascribe their house superiority to that - or perhaps see the whole superiority thing as hogwash.

The best example we had was Luna. She was intuitively quite brilliant and I think that shows the strength of the sorting hat because at times she could seem rather vague and faraway and her comments at times seemed far fetch. However, we found out her father was the one filling her in on all of the rather far out information from his travels. Nonetheless, it wasn't difficult to see through that as her basic reasoning and intuitive understanding came through brilliantly.

I like this house. Actually for various reasons, I like all of the houses.

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; October 18th, 2007 at 7:08 am.
Old October 18th, 2007, 12:25 pm
Fifth Year

I don't think that it is as much intelligence as it is the desire to learn.Being clever I feel is not enough,you have to want to gain as much knowledge as possible(as Hermione does,hence her been considered for Ravenclaw).You have to value(and enjoy I suppose) intellectual pursuits above everything else.

It appears that Ravenclaw is a resting place for highly intelligent students that lack qualities that Slytherin or Gryffindor would select as in the case of Severus Snape and Hermione.

Again I don't beliive it is so.It's a matter of priorities.Slytherins desire success,whereas Ravenclaw desire knowledge.Gryffindors may be intelligent,but as we've seen it's not a deciding trait for them.

Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs seem very much to make decisions with their hearts.Ravenclaws more with their heads.Though unlike the Slytherins,who's main concern is foremost for themselves,Ravenclaws will act at times,to the benifit of others,even if for them there is no personal gain.

Probably that as air is above the others elements(physically speaking),Ravenclaws will involve themselves in matter if only the feel it is necessary,otherwise,they will to an extent remain unconcerned.

I suppose that while Hufflepuff is the more tame clam side of Gryffindor,Raveclaw is the less selfish side of Slytherin.Both houses value intelligence but have different ultimate goals.

Probably the password,it highlights how much ravenclaws value learning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
I was actually quite amazed to discover in DH that one had to solve a logic twister to gain entrance to their house. Imagine some poor student on a bad day when their mind was completely elsewhere standing before the door and barely able to think their name, let alone solve a twister.
I was feeling sorry for first years.How on earth would they be able to answer the questions that were asked(unless the questions are adjusted for the students)

Old October 20th, 2007, 5:01 am
First Year

I loved the Ravenclaw common room.

I'm a Ravenclaw, I have taken over ten different tests and they all say Ravenclaw. I consider myself an introvert who thinks outside the box, much like our stereotypical Ravenclaw.

Radiant Garden, my true home.

"No, I was merely reading the Muggle magazines," said Dumbledore. "I do love knitting patterns."
Old April 7th, 2008, 12:21 pm
First Year

I consider myself a Ravenclaw through and through. I think that what sets Ravenclaws out from others is their deeply thoughtful nature - I've had lots of friends complaining about the way every little conversation turns into a philosophical debate with me.

I don't think it's right to take Luna and Hermione as our examples of Ravenclaws - Hermione is definitely not a Ravenclaw. She seeks knowledge where a Ravenclaw seeks understanding, and her top grades are the product of an awful lot of hard work and her insecurities more than her intelligence - though she is intelligent.

Old April 7th, 2008, 1:32 pm
Zonko's Employee

I was always hesitant to consider myself a Ravenclaw because I doubted if I was smart enough but I have since realized that Ravenclaw is not only about academic intelligence but also the desire to learn, that hunger for knowledge, the wit of unconventional thinking and the pursuit of the philosophies of life. The free thinkers and the open minded. The dreamers, the romantics and the odd person is what defines a true Ravenclaw to me and if that is the case then I am a proud Ravenclaw all the way.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old April 13th, 2008, 7:10 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifink2much View Post
I was feeling sorry for first years.How on earth would they be able to answer the questions that were asked(unless the questions are adjusted for the students)
A true Ravenclaw would be too busy wondering what the right answer had been, to mind.

I love the security system of the Ravenclaw common room!

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old April 13th, 2008, 6:23 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
I can't help thinking that a Ravenclaw wouldn't have made the mistake Voldemort did in the battle scene in the Great Hall. A Ravenclaw would have thought outside the box, and perhaps caused a beam to fall on Harry or conjured an animal to kill him/conjured a sword to kill him with, there are a myriad possibilities that a Ravenclaw would have used, when the obvious way of killing somebody (Killing Curse) was having no effect.

Old April 13th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
I was always hesitant to consider myself a Ravenclaw because I doubted if I was smart enough but I have since realized that Ravenclaw is not only about academic intelligence but also the desire to learn, that hunger for knowledge, the wit of unconventional thinking and the pursuit of the philosophies of life. The free thinkers and the open minded. The dreamers, the romantics and the odd person is what defines a true Ravenclaw to me and if that is the case then I am a proud Ravenclaw all the way.
I feel bad too... well i guess if they were put in the house you were meant to face the chalenges.

I wish i could be in the DA.
Proud supporter of Dobby, Enemy of Bellatrix

~92% of teens moved on to rap music. If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your sig.~

Last edited by EmmyRocks; April 16th, 2008 at 2:00 am.
Old June 13th, 2008, 3:19 am
Second Year

Is there a predominant quality that a Ravenclaw must have in order to be a Ravenclaw? They must be intelligent, obviously. But they must also have a sense of pride, and wit.

It appears that Ravenclaw is a resting place for highly intelligent students that lack qualities that Slytherin or Gryffindor would select as in the case of Severus Snape and Hermione. What might be an example of someone almost chosen for one of the other houses but was placed in Ravenclaw? Luna Lovegood. She was brave, but she was also very...philosophical. She knew more about the world than almost anyone else, including Harry. She was always positive, and they might be a trait that kept her from Gryffindor. You must also know there is danger in the world.

What are some of the decisions that students from other houses have made that Ravenclaws would decide differently? Ravenclaws analyze things, and make different situations, whilst Gryffindors go with their gut.

- Walt Disney

~~
Old June 16th, 2008, 1:18 am
Hogwarts Graduate

[quote=clemxens;5056248]
Quote:
Luna Lovegood. She was brave, but she was also very...philosophical. She knew more about the world than almost anyone else, including Harry. She was always positive, and they might be a trait that kept her from Gryffindor. You must also know there is danger in the world.
I agree with you about Luna, although she was shown to be very brave, it is her positivity and her insightfulness that mark her down as a Ravenclaw. Also, she shows a different facet to Ravenclaw wisdom and intelligence. She easily solves the logic puzzle at the entrance to Ravenclaw House, yet is incredibly insightful -i.e. recognising Harry at the wedding.

Quote:
What are some of the decisions that students from other houses have made that Ravenclaws would decide differently? Ravenclaws analyze things, and make different situations, whilst Gryffindors go with their gut.

I agree, and to make a bit of a generalisation, I think Ravenclaw and Slytherin Houses both value leading from the head, whereas Gryffindor and Hufflepuff lead from the heart, or as you say, in the case of Gryffindors, gut.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old June 16th, 2008, 2:17 am
Third Year

Is there a predominant quality that a Ravenclaw must have in order to be a Ravenclaw? Yes, like intelligence, thirst for learning, deep understanding, and open-mind.

What are the significance of Air and the Raven to Ravenclaw? Like air, Ravenclaws slip in easily to learning about the world and different mysteries around them.

What is the significance of JKR splitting the students into classes and why did she make Ravenclaw House from a literary perspective? She made Ravenclaw sort of like Slytherin only their intelligance was more selfless. But they still had knowledge, and knowledge has always meant more power. They might use it to help others though. I always thought that if there were (and I'm pretty sure there is) Death Eaters to come from other houses it would be Ravenclaw.

What new thoughts do you have on Ravenclaw post DH? I love how
you have to answer a puzzle or question to get into the common room. Though, if you were having a really bad day and thinking of other things it might be tougher to get in your common room.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References