Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.6

Old November 24th, 2011, 6:43 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.6

I think the older students might also have remembered that Snape was part of the Death Eater Wannabe gang. Some of his students might even have been part of that gang, and some may have been their victims, and some may have been called Mudblood by Snape himself when he was a student, or personally seen and heard Snape call a student that. I think the end of Voldemort's first war was probably an awkward time for Snape to start his teaching career and establish authority, given that the older students might have witnessed what he was like while a student. I'm not sure Snape even cared about that, though, except that it undermined his authority.

"UNTIL THE VERY END"
-- JK Rowling to Harry Potter fans at the beginning of Deathly Hallows, and James Potter to his son at the end of Deathly Hallows.
Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2011, 5:47 pm
The Potions Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
Well, I wouldn't call a 21-year-old an adult. Although the suffix "-teen" is no longer tacked onto the number, most early 20-somethings are still very teenager-y.
I so agree! Just didn't want to offend any twenty-somethings.

Quote:
Whether it was preemptive or done in response to student behavior, I think Severus first began coming down hard on students because he wanted to establish his authority despite his youth. I wouldn't necessary call this a continuation of his schoolyard behavior, since the one time we see him fighting back as a teen involved him swearing and using a cutting spell.
When he fights back in SWM, he is being physically attacked, so I can see him responding in kind. However, his interactions with Sirius in the books when they are both adults--his sarcasm, setups and sneering is exactly what he uses with his students. I think he just carried that over to his teaching and since it worked so well keeping students in line, he just never thought about changing his methods.

Quote:
The question of why he seems to favor Slytherin is an interesting one, with more than one answer IMHO. IIRC, there are already rumors after Harry's arrival that Snape favors the Slytherins (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Does this mean his reasons are not entirely Harry-specific? Is he cozying up to the DE crowd? Does he feel Slytherin House gets too bad of a rep and wants to visibly back them up? Does he see his Slytherins outside of the classroom and honestly like them? I tend to see it as a combination of spy job and House loyalty, personally, but as we never get a straight answer to this question, I think it's very up in the air.
And that Snape favors the Slytherins adds weight to my argument, I think. When he was at school, Slytherins were his friends. He felt comfortable because they accepted him. I think, being so young when he stared teaching, he just slipped back into the same behaviors he had when he attended Hogwarts.

I've often wondered if his treatment of Harry would have been somewhat different if Harry had been sorted Slytherin. That would have been a conflict for him on some level.

Mugglenet.com Editorial: The Flaw in the Plan
Potion notes: noxspell.org

NoxSpell7790 on Pottermore and still Slytherin!
Ebony, Phoenix Feather, 11-3/4" . . . Unyielding

Old November 28th, 2011, 7:40 am
Second Year

I'm sorry if this little question on mine is terribly out of topic on this thread, but I'm not sure where else I could post it (help is welcome on this matter).

The question I've been asking myself is if Snape could have been an animagus. Maybe this has been discussed already and maybe even Jo has answered this before... it's just... Snape is described as "bat like" a couple of times and as he flies from Horgwarts... Anyway, here I leave to the people who really are interested in Snape. Was he a bat animagus? Thanks.

Image by the lovely SadiraSnape

"Neville is the man!"

Wand: Pear, Phoenix, 14.5 in, quite flexible
HUFFLEPUFF
MagicProphecy
Old November 28th, 2011, 8:06 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisl_Loveheart View Post
I'm sorry if this little question on mine is terribly out of topic on this thread, but I'm not sure where else I could post it (help is welcome on this matter).

The question I've been asking myself is if Snape could have been an animagus. Maybe this has been discussed already and maybe even Jo has answered this before... it's just... Snape is described as "bat like" a couple of times and as he flies from Horgwarts... Anyway, here I leave to the people who really are interested in Snape. Was he a bat animagus? Thanks.
I don't think so, because when he escapes the castle in Deathly Hallows he leaves a "Snape-shaped hole" ~ we can presume that is referring to the shape of his large cape. And Harry then sees a "huge bat-like shape flying toward the perimeter wall."

I think if Snape had been a true Animagus, his transformation would have been into a regular-sized bat, but we know that Snape is actually flying as a wizard. The clue to that is when McGonagall confirms that Snape is flying the same way Voldemort did. I think if Snape were an Animagus, Minerva of all people would have said something about it since she was one herself. But she thinks he is flying in his human shape.

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Old November 28th, 2011, 11:09 am
The Potions Master

And from what we've seen, one's animagus is the same as one's patronus and reflects one's inner soul. A doe in Snape's case.

[staff edit]

Last edited by SusanBones; November 29th, 2011 at 1:28 am. Reason: off topic
Old November 28th, 2011, 4:14 pm
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

Probably so. However, a Patronus and Animagus are not the same, the way I see it. My impression was that an Animagus reflects one's inner soul, while one's Patronus reflects what protects them. Hermione, for instance, is protected by Ron, who is represented by her otter (weasel) patronus. Snape is not much like a doe, nor is he much like Lily herself. However, her memory protects him by reminding him of what he is fighting for.

I think one clue that suggests Snape would not have been a bat Animagus is that he learns how to fly without a broom. If he were a bat Animagus, why would he learn this skill when he could already fly? Granted, flying without a broom is much more unique and grand, but for one, I doubt he was really thinking about that when fleeing Hogwarts, and for another, a bat would be a much smaller target and much less conspicuous. Heck, he could even have used his bat form to do some extra spying. However, we don't hear about any of this, so I think that while he was bat-like, Severus was never actually a bat.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old November 29th, 2011, 12:51 am
The Potions Master

Just had a thought. Snape was a clever fellow, surely he could have figured out a bit sooner that Voldemort was going to attack him. But he also knew that Dumbledore said it was important for Voldemort to kill Harry. Perhaps he hesitated attacking Voldemort because of that?

Old November 29th, 2011, 2:06 am

Snape knew he could not kill Voldemort while Harry was alive, because of Harry having a bit of Voldemort's soul trapped inside him. Instead he tried to talk his way out of the tight spot, as he had doubtless done in the past.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old November 29th, 2011, 2:13 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrormere View Post
Just had a thought. Snape was a clever fellow, surely he could have figured out a bit sooner that Voldemort was going to attack him. But he also knew that Dumbledore said it was important for Voldemort to kill Harry. Perhaps he hesitated attacking Voldemort because of that?
I don't see his main goal as surviving the war - once Dumbledore told Snape Harry had to die, his goal went from protecting Harry to stopping Voldemort. If he could not give Harry Dumbledore's message, then he had failed at his mission.

I think he went through a brief period of denial and shock, hoping he wasn't about to be killed, because it meant he had utterly failed. I think he also knew he couldn't survive, once Voldemort targeted him. Snape knew he could not kill Voldemort, because Voldy had a piece of Harry's soul and Voldy had the Elder Wand (which is powerful even if he suspected Voldy wasn't the master, but I think Snape knew Snape wasn't either), he knew Nagini's strike was a death sentence if he wasn't quickly taken to St. Mungos, and there was no one there to take him. It was two against one, and he was out matched. Plus, in the book, the sign that DD told Snape to look for was when Voldy began protecting Nagini - he may have suddenly realized that Nagini was a horcrux, since Snape kept looking at her.

My guess is he thought his only option was to try to reason with Voldy.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?”
And I will say, “Always.”
- source unknown
Old November 30th, 2011, 3:17 pm

He actually did raise his wand at the final moment. I can't be sure what he'd planned, but my guess is that because he'd just seen the signal to tell Harry about the final Horcrux (Nagini protected) and was willing to do all he could to get out of there alive and reach Harry. I think that, when words failed, he'd use his wand to try and buy himself time to leave. It would utterly blow his cover, but the final Horcrux was more important and Voldemort was out for his blood anyway. That's the direction in which I see his thoughts running.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old November 30th, 2011, 5:46 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Quote:
He actually did raise his wand at the final moment. I can't be sure what he'd planned, but my guess is that because he'd just seen the signal to tell Harry about the final Horcrux (Nagini protected) and was willing to do all he could to get out of there alive and reach Harry. I think that, when words failed, he'd use his wand to try and buy himself time to leave. It would utterly blow his cover, but the final Horcrux was more important and Voldemort was out for his blood anyway. That's the direction in which I see his thoughts running.
Well, he was going to die, so what was he risking by having his cover blown?

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old November 30th, 2011, 6:16 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
I think if Snape had been a true Animagus, his transformation would have been into a regular-sized bat...
Quote:
a bat would be a much smaller target and much less conspicuous. Heck, he could even have used his bat form to do some extra spying. However, we don't hear about any of this, so I think that while he was bat-like, Severus was never actually a bat.
While I don't think Snape was an animagus it is possible that his animagus form could have been a large species of bat. Not all bats are small. The Giant Golden-Crown Flying Fox (which despite its name is actually a bat) has a body about 22 inches long and a wing span of close to 6 feet. The Large Flying Fox (which is also a bat species, what's with all the fox names, scientific world??) has a smaller body mass but is known to exceed the Golden-Crown in wingspan.

Just a little trivia from the animal kingdom.

Old November 30th, 2011, 8:16 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
He apparently considered it important not to blow his cover, given that even after the realization that he was going to die, he still managed to occlude his thoughts from Voldemort. Before Harry revealed Snape's true loyalties in the Great Hall, Voldemort believed that Severus Snape was his own faithful servant. Great Legilimens Voldemort never had a clue. Snape died protecting his mission.

As for raising his wand though... I don't think that would have blown his cover. Voldemort was so afraid of death that he would have assumed imo that Snape's motivation was to avoid being killed, not that he was on the side of the Order and had a message for Harry. I think he would have expected that sort of response to the threat of imminent death... even from someone he erroneously believed to be a loyal Death Eater.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old November 30th, 2011, 9:48 pm

Quote:
Because he feared that Voldemort would see his thoughts and realize that in killing Harry he was endangering himself. Voldemort didn't know Harry was a horcrux.

I think raising his wand at that moment was a reflexive defense on Snape's part. He knew he didn't have a chance, and that's why his face looked like a "death mask."

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Old December 1st, 2011, 11:33 am
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, IMO saying that Snape was protecting his cover at that very late date is sort of like saying he was standing in front of the stable well after the horses were galloping through the countryside. It was smack dab in the middle of the battle, The Order were in the castle with the other fighters for the Wizarding World's legitimate human rights and Snape had to have known that Harry was there. After all Harry was in the thick of it, even if Snape wasn't. Voldemort certainly knew that Harry was there. I've never really understood Snape's line to Voldemort. IMO, it's...ineffectual to say the least and what was Snape going to do? Speak nice to whatever member of the Order he was going ask about where Harry was? I really don't see that working too well. Wouldn't he have been better just to say that he had to go to the toilet?

Old December 1st, 2011, 12:20 pm

As a practical matter - once out of Voldemort's presence, Snape could have found Harry through the expedient of sending Harry his Patronus.

As to why, generally, Snape would protect his cover in the middle of a battle - he had a job to do, and it wasn't fighting in a battle. It was staying close to Voldemort so that he would know when the time had come to tell Harry Dumbledore's message. It seems to me that as Snape walked into the Shack in his death scene, this is what was still on his mind. And then he saw Nagini in her bubble, and realized it was time.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old December 1st, 2011, 7:35 pm
The Potions Master

It was my understanding (and now I'm not sure why) that the castor of a patronus had to know where to send it. If not, it sure would give DE's an incentive to learn to do them because then they could find anyone.

I've always thought that the snitch Harry had with him all the time might be traceable--especially by a Hogwart's Headmaster. But that's pure conjecture. It would seem odd to leave being able to find Harry to chance. I think Snape would have pointed that out to Dumbledore if it was left unresolved.

Old December 1st, 2011, 8:24 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
It was my understanding (and now I'm not sure why) that the castor of a patronus had to know where to send it. If not, it sure would give DE's an incentive to learn to do them because then they could find anyone.
Remember in HBP - Snape Victorious when Harry was late arriving at Hogwarts and Tonks used her patronus to summon someone to unlock the main gate? Snape showed up, and Tonks said she "meant for Hagrid to get the message" but Snape said Hagrid was late as well, so he took the message instead.

I think they can send it to a chosen location, but if the recipient isn't there, the patronus still only goes to that location, rather than going to where the recipient actually is. A patronus cannot track a person.

Maybe Snape had the ability to intercept someone else's message before the patronus turned to leave and find the recipient, but I don't think he did.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?”
And I will say, “Always.”
- source unknown

Last edited by MerryLore; December 1st, 2011 at 8:33 pm.
Old December 1st, 2011, 9:13 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Apart from the question of whether or not a true DE is even capable of casting a patronus (we know they don't; I have always assumed that they can't), using the patronus as a means of communication was invented by Albus Dumbledore, who taught it to the Order only. So using the patronus in this fashion was a skill known only by a select few - none of whom, including Severus, would have taught it to DEs.

Least of all by Severus, actually, since he guarded the fact that he could cast a patronus in order to avoid blowing his cover.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!

Last edited by ccollinsmith; December 1st, 2011 at 9:18 pm.
Old December 1st, 2011, 11:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
Apart from the question of whether or not a true DE is even capable of casting a patronus (we know they don't; I have always assumed that they can't)
I have a few thoughts on this I've put in the DEs thread.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies