Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Pensieve

Harry Potter and Naruto: Comparing Characters, Conflicts, and Settings

Old April 11th, 2007, 3:31 am
Second Year

Harry Potter and Naruto: Comparing Characters, Conflicts, and Settings

This thread will attempt to compare HP to the anime Naruto. On the surface, it is interesting how both series see the characters form their alliances in groups of 3, comprised of 2 boys and 1 girl, the entire village or school is consistently under the threat of a menacing dark figure, and the Triwizard Tournament and Chuunin Exam serve roughly the same purpose by maintaining friendships with fellow villages and schools through friendly, yet brutal competition. I will start by making side by side comparisons with specific characters in the series in relation to the role they serve. Feel free to contribute at any time, contradict me, or suggest points I may have missed.

1) THE HEROES
Harry Potter vs. Naruto Uzumaki

1) Background
Neither character enjoyed a particularly happy childhood, in large part due to the prejudice of those that misunderstood them. Both were orphaned at infancy, and raised as unwanted children. After losing his parents to Voldemort, Harry was sent to live with his aunt, uncle, and cousin, who loathed him almost instantly. This hatred was due to his status as a wizard, something they did not understand, and looked down on with shame and contempt. He became isolated from his family and society, and felt resigned to this status. When Hagrid arrived and took him to Hogwarts, he became the first person who noticed Harry and accepted him for who he was-and in fact, admired him for it.

As a baby, Naruto's body was used as a vessel to contain Kyuubi, a nine-tailed demon fox. With his parents gone, Naruto was raised at large by the ninja village Konoha, also called the Village Hidden in the Leaves, or the Hidden Leaf Village. The people of the village equated Naruto with the demon sealed inside him, so he was feared and distrusted and subsequently shunned by the villagers, both civilian and ninja alike. Like Harry, he was born into a world that hated him due to circumstances beyond his control. The reactions of others, however differ slightly. With Harry, the Dursleys' contempt is based more on the feeling of "what will people say?", whereas Naruto is regarded as dangerous and unstable. Their reactions were also different. Harry seemed resigned to take his punishment, even when blamed for occurrences beyond his control. Naruto responded by acting out, pulling pranks, and clashing with his classmates and teachers. There finally came one person who saw through Kyuubi and accepted Naruto for who he was: his sensei, Iruka. He was able to sympathize with Naruto, since he was also an orphan (his parents were killed by Kyuubi), and filled Naruto's need to be recognized and respected.

2) Lineage

Both of Harry's parents were known as accomplished wizards, at the top of their class at Hogwarts. His father, James, was particularly known as one of the best Quidditch players of his day, and was talented enough to make himself an Animagus. He also became Head Boy without ever making prefect. His mother, Lily, was also an outstanding student, Head Girl, a member of the Slug Club, and both she and James joined the Order of the Phoenix. Their talents and dedication suggested early on that Harry was descended from great wizards, and would be destined for greatness himself.

Nothing is officially known of Naruto's parents, but it is widely believed he is the son of Yondaime, the legendary Fourth Hokage. Yondaime was considered the greatest ninja the Leaf Village had ever produced. He was the one who sealed the Fox inside Naruto, saving the village, intending for the boy to be regarded as a hero.

3) A Mark of Torture

Both Harry and Naruto have some sort of mark that symbolizes the anguish in their past, and also serves to strengthen them against future challenges. The scar on Harry's forehead serves as a reminder of his past with Voldemort, and presents painful physical sensations depending on Voldemort's mood or physical state. It may also be a potential Horcrux.

Naruto has the symbol of the sealing jutsu on his stomach from the encounter with the Nine Tailed Fox. It is a visual representation of the power he gained from having the Fox within him, and also disadvantaged him when Orochimaru cast a second seal over it, which imbalanced his chakra, and made him unable to perform jutsu at its most powerful level.

4) Personality and Interactions

Both characters are alternatively seen as heroic or a threat. Harry is regarded as the Chosen One who defeated Voldemort before, and will defeat him again. Other times, however, he is at the center of a major rift in Hogwarts and the wizarding community at large, when he was suspected of opening the Chamber of Secrets, cheating his way into the Triwizard Tournament, and dismissed by the Ministry of Magic and its supporters. In COS, students began avoiding him, believing him the one to be the Heir of Slytherin, persecuting and petrifying Muggle-born students. Despite the occasional fight with Hermione or Ron, the three remain loyal friends devoted to protecting each other.

Naruto started off hated by all except the Third Hokage, and later Iruka. The older generation who remembered the Fox saw him as the demon, while the younger villagers dismissed him as a class clown and an incompetent ninja. Little by little, he started earning the respect of others. He became a hero in the Land of Waves when he motivated the country to stand up to Gatou and drive his men out. When he defeated Haku, he gained the respect of Sasuke and Sakura, who until then regarded him as a nuisance. Back in Konoha, his performance in the Chuunin Exams earned him the respect of other ninja such as Kiba and Shikamaru, who saw his true strength and fighting spirit for the first time. His defeat of Gaara during the invasion by the Sand and Sound Villages no doubt strengthened his reputation afterwards as well. While he initially had trouble getting along with his teammates, they accepted him as an integral part of the team. Sasuke in particular went from regarding him as a useless loser to a competitive rival. Their relationship is somewhat complicated by their romantic interests. Naruto has a crush on Sakura, but she only has eyes for Sasuke. This triangle is absent in the HP trio; Ron and Hermione have acknowledged their feelings for each other, and Harry and Hermione have not shown that they have that sort of connection.

Overall, Harry is a bit more serious and more intelligent than Naruto. The largest contrast may be in how they handle their fame/notoriety. Harry is intimidated and somewhat ashamed by his legacy, and often tries to avoid the limelight. Naruto, on the other hand, cares primarily about gaining recognition in his village, with his ultimate goal to become Hokage.

Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2007, 11:06 am
First Year

Harry Potter similarities in Japanese Anime

as mugglecast listeners may recall there the muggle casters had a discussion a few weeks back where they were talking about Harry Potter similarities in Pokemon.

Have you ever settles down to watch Naruto and suddenly go "OMG HE'S A NINJA VERSION OF VOLDIMORT!!" when Orochimaru's face appears on screan.

Or maybe how the Captain of Squad 1 in Bleach sort of resembles Dumbledor.

What Harry Potter similarities appear in other animes?

Old April 30th, 2007, 11:36 am
Second Year

Re: Harry Potter similarities in Japanese Anime

I see SO MANY similarities between Harry Potter and Naruto. Some characters are almost 1:1 comparisons. I'm currently writing a treatise on this in the Pensieve.

-Naruto: Squads are divided into teams of 3, 2 boys and 1 girl. Harry Potter: we have the Trio.

-Naruto: An orphan was raised by a village who fears and hates him. Harry Potter: An orphan is raised by relatives who neglect and hate him (and fear him once he gains his magical abilities).

-Naruto: Naruto has the mark of a sealing jutsu on his stomach as the result of a spell to contain the Nine-Tailed Fox. Harry Potter: Harry has a lightning bolt scar on his forehead as the result of a failed Avada Kedavra from Voldemort.

-Naruto: Naruto can summon the Chief Toad, Gamabunta. Harry Potter: Harry can conjure a stag as a Patronus.

-Naruto: Sakura is the brainy girl who displayed the most book smarts in the Academy, and has a major crush on her teammate, Sasuke. Harry Potter: Hermione is the bookish girl who seems to love Ron.

-Naruto: Orochimaru was once the most gifted ninja in the village, who later turned to the dark side in a quest for power. Harry Potter: Tom Riddle was Hogwarts' most gifted student before his ambitions led him into evil.

-Naruto: Gaara knew no love as his mother died giving birth to him, his father put a contract on him, and the entire village came to loathe and fear him. Harry Potter: Voldemort knew no love as his mother died giving birth to him, his father abandoned him, and he was raised in an orphanage that just went through the motions.

-Naruto: Sarutobi regarded Orochimaru as the pride of the Leaf Village, ignoring growing hatred within him, and invested his energies in the wrong ninja. Harry Potter: Dumbledore did not completely trust Tom Riddle, but continued to work with him, despite his deception and lust for power.

-Naruto: Orochimaru left the village cursing it when he was refused the title of Hokage. Harry Potter: Voldemort applied as DADA professor, but angrily left once Dumbledore declined.

-Naruto: Orochimaru has the ability to summon giant snakes. Harry Potter: Voldemort's pet/companion/horcrux is Nagini, and he is a parseltongue.

-Naruto: Orochimaru kills his former sensei, Sarutobi, during his invasion of the Leaf Village. Harry Potter: either a direct command to Snape or pressure on Draco leads to the death of Voldemort's former mentor, Dumbledore.

-Naruto: Orochimaru does not trust any of his followers, even (especially) his right-hand man, Kabuto Yakushi. He sacrificed his own followers, Zaku and Kin, for his own aims when he needed their bodies for a jutsu. Harry Potter: Voldemort does not trust any of the Death Eaters, though he somewhat favors Peter Pettigrew. His followers are expendable, and will kill anyone who steps out of line or recants their allegiance.

-Naruto: Orochimaru suffered what he believed was a fate worse than death when part of his soul was severed, paralyzing his arms and rendering him unable to ever perform another jutsu. Harry Potter: To Voldemort, losing special powers and magical abilities and becoming ordinary may be worse than death.

-Naruto: Hinata has a giant crush on Naruto, and becomes nervous and timid whenever he shows up. Harry Potter: Ginny has a huge crush on Harry, and freezes up and stammers when she sees him.

-Naruto: Neji believes that a person's destiny is formed at birth and cannot be changed, and that social status and power is determined by fate. Harry Potter: Draco believes in pure blood supremacy, and that family legacy guarantees success.

-Naruto: Mizuki acted on orders from Orochimaru to obtain the Scroll of Sealing. Harry Potter: Voldemort sent Professor Quirrell to steal the Philosopher's Stone.

-Naruto: The Chuunin Exams provided brutal, even deadly competition between the various ninja villages, but were held as a sign of friendship and goodwill. Harry Potter: The Triwizard Tournament fostered friendship between the 3 schools, while also presenting danger to life and limb of the contestants.

Old April 30th, 2007, 7:32 pm
First Year

Tom Riddle used to be able to summon a giant snake (The basilisk) but it was killed by Harry. It's currently unknown if Orochimaru would be able to summon giant snakes again since he can no longer use his arms to perform Jutsu.

Sarutobi (The third Hokage) has a speach that is similar to Dumbledors "As long as there is one still loyal to me, I will never be gone from this school."

Sarutobi: This village is my home and I am it's central pillar, as long as there are Shinobi who are willing to fight and give their lives for this village it will not fall.

James Potter dies protecting his family. The Forth Hokage died sealing away the demon fox into Naruto's body to save the Leaf Village. (FYI There is a running rumor that the Forth Hokage was Naruto's father though it has never been confermed.)

Orochimaru sort of looks like Voldimort with hair.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/victory_angel/orochimaru_06.jpg

In Ouran High School Host club the Twins: Hikaru and Kaoru are like Japanese Anime versions of the Weasly Twins. They also pal around with their class mate Haruhi in a group called "The Friendly Class Room Trio."

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/victory_angel/018.jpg

(For those that can't tell) The person in the middle is a girl.

Old May 19th, 2007, 5:46 pm
First Year

There are many things about Harry Potter that reflect Shojo manga, or manga/anime in the style of Sailor Moon, Ceres, Magic Knights of Rayearth or Gundam Wing.

In these types of manga/anime the main character has a hidden power, usually one that will save the world from destruction. The main character lives a large portion of their life never knowing that they are important and have this great power, yet there are little signs that make them special and out of the ordinary.

Everything about Harry in SS/PS fits this perfectly. He uncovers his hidden powers, and learns of a seperate life he has aside from the one he has grown up with. It unlocks a door to a whole other world for Harry in which he plays a key role in the salvation of a vast group of people.

The rest of his journey is unlocking more clues to help him vanguish evil and more about his past. In this way, Harry Potter is similar to classic Shojo manga/anime.

Gryffindor Girl

I Solemnly Swear That I am Up to No Good

Crookshanks secretly fancies Mrs. Norris... Meow!
Old June 4th, 2007, 4:23 pm
First Year

Are you guys say Harry Potter copied Naruto or Naruto copied Harry Potter?

"I just want to be with you; isn't that enough?"
Old June 6th, 2007, 3:27 am
Fourth Year

... No one really copied anyone... But, those similarities that were mentioned can be found in a lot of places.. A lot of them existed long before Harry Potter..

When injustice becomes law, Rebellion becomes duty.
Old June 29th, 2007, 1:56 am
Third Year

I think Yagami Light is very similar to young Voldemort.

Old July 3rd, 2007, 11:32 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venka21 View Post
Or maybe how the Captain of Squad 1 in Bleach sort of resembles Dumbledor.
Just the look IMO. The acting isn't really Dumbledore like at all.

The End of the Dream.
Old July 26th, 2008, 8:51 am
First Year

Re: Harry Potter and Naruto: Comparing Characters, Conflicts, and Settings

There's indeed a lot in common between HP and Naruto.
I figured it out while I was watching the anime.
Here are some more similarities:

- Lupin is resembled by Kakashi Sensei (imo)... you know, the cool teacher that favours the main character.
- Dumbledore = Jiraiya ... in a way. I know that there are a lot of parallels between the 3rd Hokage and DD but they are just concerning the responsibilities of the two characters. Here I bear in mind the personal relationship between Harry/DD (Naruto/Jiraiya). That includes personal teaching/training. Although DD is much more respected by his student that Jiraiya is (but that's just the way Naruto is... in this aspect, he's a lot like Ron - amusing and sometimes clumsy).
- After comparing Ron with Naruto, I'd like to do the same with Harry and Sasuke. Both characters had their families "wiped out". Both characters want revenge.
That's all I have time for now.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 9:45 am
Second Year

I tried to compare each of the Trio to each of Team 7. Hermione and Sakura are almost identical, in terms of being the brightest student and in love with a member of their team. As outlined above, Harry and Naruto are extremely similar.

I was having trouble finding similarities between Ron and Sasuke for the longest time, until DH, when Ron abandoned his friends due to the influence of Voldemort's Horcrux. That is similar to Sasuke abandoning his teammates because of the influence of Orochimaru's cursemark. Also, each has a sibling who has betrayed their family, though Percy's siding with the Ministry doesn't quite rise to the level of Itachi killing his entire clan.

I've looked at crossover fanfics and other people's comments, and it does seem that Naruto shares a lot of traits with both Harry and Ron (Harry: orphan, visible mark, hated by those who raised him. Ron: prankster, upbeat, not the most observant), while Harry is a mixture of Naruto (see above) and Sasuke (introverted, vengeful, doesn't care about fame). There was one HP/Naruto crossover I read that, while not the best written, had an amusing running gag of Ino with a scarily obsessive crush on Harry. I could definitely see that happening should they ever meet.

The Kakashi/Lupin comparison is good. I also saw Kakashi as similar to Moody as well, due to the eye with special abilities, and the status as an elite fighter. Although, both Kakashi and Lupin lost their best friend and spend much of their time thinking about him (Obito and James, respectively). In that vein, Iruka may be similar to either Lupin or Sirius, as the father figure the main character most cares about (aside from his own teammates).

It also seems like Neville has a bit in common with Rock Lee. Each were seen as a failure by their classmates, and had little to no ability with magic or chakra. Lee cannot do ninjutsu or genjutsu, so by wizard standards, he may even be considered a squib. Yet both perfect the talents they do have and, through hard work and perseverance, become loyal friends and fierce fighters.

Here's an interesting question to speculate on: If Naruto characters were sorted into Hogwarts houses, who would be sorted where? Here is the breakdown I got:

Gryffindor: Naruto, Lee, Hinata

Hufflepuff: Choji, Tenten, Kiba

Ravenclaw: Shikamaru, Sakura, Shino

Slytherin: Sasuke, Neji, Ino

Conservatives want to be your daddy, telling you what to do and what not to do. Liberals want to be your mommy, feeding you, tucking you in, and wiping your nose. Libertarians want to treat you as an adult
Old January 25th, 2009, 2:20 pm
First Year

Countless times as I've watched and read Naruto I've thought "That's so much like Harry Potter". I'm so glad that I'm not alone here.

My main similarities are the idea that both are famous/infamous for being involved in the defeat of a great evil as a baby (Voldemort/Kyuubi) and Dumbledore's resemblence to the 3rd Hokage in personality and their regret for not stopping their protege from going evil (Tom Riddle/Orochimaru).

SPOILERS!!!**** DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T READ NARUTO MANGA *****

SPOILERS****

*SPOILERS*

Also, several new similarities have arisen in recent manga chapters:

1. Jiraiya is Sirius.
Jiraiya is the Naruto equivalent of Sirius Black. He was close friends with Naruto's parents as Sirius was with Lily and James. He was even named godfather of Naruto by the fourth just like Sirius was Harry's godfather. Plus, the way Naruto is taken under his wing for 3 years is much like how Harry had hoped to live with Sirius. The point where I most realised the connection, however, was with Jiraiya's death. The first truly shattering death of the series just as Sirius' death was for HP. The news absolutely devastates Naruto just as it did for Harry.

2. Itachi is Snape.
Might seem outlandish but bear with me... picture Itachi as Snape and Sasuke as Harry. Snape was involved in the death of Harry's parents, selfishly wanting James dead. This is true for the death of Sasuke's parents, with Itachi and Madara slaughtering the entire Uchiha clan. For the latter part of the 6th and most of the 7th book of HP we believe Snape to be a traitor, but finally find out that he was actually working as a spy for Dumbledore in order to protect Harry, out of love for Lily, making for the saddest scene in the entire HP series, imo. The saddest scene in all of Naruto, imo, came with a similar revelation about Itachi - he never betrayed his village, he was ordered to slaughter his clan including his brother, but loved him too much and spent the rest of his life secretly trying to protect him and make him stronger.

Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:26 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanover_Fist View Post
This thread will attempt to compare HP to the anime Naruto. On the surface, it is interesting how both series see the characters form their alliances in groups of 3, comprised of 2 boys and 1 girl, the entire village or school is consistently under the threat of a menacing dark figure, and the Triwizard Tournament and Chuunin Exam serve roughly the same purpose by maintaining friendships with fellow villages and schools through friendly, yet brutal competition. I will start by making side by side comparisons with specific characters in the series in relation to the role they serve. Feel free to contribute at any time, contradict me, or suggest points I may have missed.

1) THE HEROES
Harry Potter vs. Naruto Uzumaki

1) Background
Neither character enjoyed a particularly happy childhood, in large part due to the prejudice of those that misunderstood them. Both were orphaned at infancy, and raised as unwanted children. After losing his parents to Voldemort, Harry was sent to live with his aunt, uncle, and cousin, who loathed him almost instantly. This hatred was due to his status as a wizard, something they did not understand, and looked down on with shame and contempt. He became isolated from his family and society, and felt resigned to this status. When Hagrid arrived and took him to Hogwarts, he became the first person who noticed Harry and accepted him for who he was-and in fact, admired him for it.

As a baby, Naruto's body was used as a vessel to contain Kyuubi, a nine-tailed demon fox. With his parents gone, Naruto was raised at large by the ninja village Konoha, also called the Village Hidden in the Leaves, or the Hidden Leaf Village. The people of the village equated Naruto with the demon sealed inside him, so he was feared and distrusted and subsequently shunned by the villagers, both civilian and ninja alike. Like Harry, he was born into a world that hated him due to circumstances beyond his control. The reactions of others, however differ slightly. With Harry, the Dursleys' contempt is based more on the feeling of "what will people say?", whereas Naruto is regarded as dangerous and unstable. Their reactions were also different. Harry seemed resigned to take his punishment, even when blamed for occurrences beyond his control. Naruto responded by acting out, pulling pranks, and clashing with his classmates and teachers. There finally came one person who saw through Kyuubi and accepted Naruto for who he was: his sensei, Iruka. He was able to sympathize with Naruto, since he was also an orphan (his parents were killed by Kyuubi), and filled Naruto's need to be recognized and respected.

2) Lineage

Both of Harry's parents were known as accomplished wizards, at the top of their class at Hogwarts. His father, James, was particularly known as one of the best Quidditch players of his day, and was talented enough to make himself an Animagus. He also became Head Boy without ever making prefect. His mother, Lily, was also an outstanding student, Head Girl, a member of the Slug Club, and both she and James joined the Order of the Phoenix. Their talents and dedication suggested early on that Harry was descended from great wizards, and would be destined for greatness himself.

Nothing is officially known of Naruto's parents, but it is widely believed he is the son of Yondaime, the legendary Fourth Hokage. Yondaime was considered the greatest ninja the Leaf Village had ever produced. He was the one who sealed the Fox inside Naruto, saving the village, intending for the boy to be regarded as a hero.

3) A Mark of Torture

Both Harry and Naruto have some sort of mark that symbolizes the anguish in their past, and also serves to strengthen them against future challenges. The scar on Harry's forehead serves as a reminder of his past with Voldemort, and presents painful physical sensations depending on Voldemort's mood or physical state. It may also be a potential Horcrux.

Naruto has the symbol of the sealing jutsu on his stomach from the encounter with the Nine Tailed Fox. It is a visual representation of the power he gained from having the Fox within him, and also disadvantaged him when Orochimaru cast a second seal over it, which imbalanced his chakra, and made him unable to perform jutsu at its most powerful level.

4) Personality and Interactions

Both characters are alternatively seen as heroic or a threat. Harry is regarded as the Chosen One who defeated Voldemort before, and will defeat him again. Other times, however, he is at the center of a major rift in Hogwarts and the wizarding community at large, when he was suspected of opening the Chamber of Secrets, cheating his way into the Triwizard Tournament, and dismissed by the Ministry of Magic and its supporters. In COS, students began avoiding him, believing him the one to be the Heir of Slytherin, persecuting and petrifying Muggle-born students. Despite the occasional fight with Hermione or Ron, the three remain loyal friends devoted to protecting each other.

Naruto started off hated by all except the Third Hokage, and later Iruka. The older generation who remembered the Fox saw him as the demon, while the younger villagers dismissed him as a class clown and an incompetent ninja. Little by little, he started earning the respect of others. He became a hero in the Land of Waves when he motivated the country to stand up to Gatou and drive his men out. When he defeated Haku, he gained the respect of Sasuke and Sakura, who until then regarded him as a nuisance. Back in Konoha, his performance in the Chuunin Exams earned him the respect of other ninja such as Kiba and Shikamaru, who saw his true strength and fighting spirit for the first time. His defeat of Gaara during the invasion by the Sand and Sound Villages no doubt strengthened his reputation afterwards as well. While he initially had trouble getting along with his teammates, they accepted him as an integral part of the team. Sasuke in particular went from regarding him as a useless loser to a competitive rival. Their relationship is somewhat complicated by their romantic interests. Naruto has a crush on Sakura, but she only has eyes for Sasuke. This triangle is absent in the HP trio; Ron and Hermione have acknowledged their feelings for each other, and Harry and Hermione have not shown that they have that sort of connection.

Overall, Harry is a bit more serious and more intelligent than Naruto. The largest contrast may be in how they handle their fame/notoriety. Harry is intimidated and somewhat ashamed by his legacy, and often tries to avoid the limelight. Naruto, on the other hand, cares primarily about gaining recognition in his village, with his ultimate goal to become Hokage.
I feel that harry is more like sasuke, and naruto more like ron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venka21 View Post
Tom Riddle used to be able to summon a giant snake (The basilisk) but it was killed by Harry. It's currently unknown if Orochimaru would be able to summon giant snakes again since he can no longer use his arms to perform Jutsu.

Sarutobi (The third Hokage) has a speach that is similar to Dumbledors "As long as there is one still loyal to me, I will never be gone from this school."

Sarutobi: This village is my home and I am it's central pillar, as long as there are Shinobi who are willing to fight and give their lives for this village it will not fall.

James Potter dies protecting his family. The Forth Hokage died sealing away the demon fox into Naruto's body to save the Leaf Village. (FYI There is a running rumor that the Forth Hokage was Naruto's father though it has never been confermed.)

Orochimaru sort of looks like Voldimort with hair.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...chimaru_06.jpg

In Ouran High School Host club the Twins: Hikaru and Kaoru are like Japanese Anime versions of the Weasly Twins. They also pal around with their class mate Haruhi in a group called "The Friendly Class Room Trio."

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1..._angel/018.jpg

(For those that can't tell) The person in the middle is a girl.
both orochimaru and voldemort leave some kind of "mark" on their folowers: the dark mark and the curse mark.

Old April 7th, 2009, 1:08 am
Second Year

I'm deep into Shippuden now (about Episode 91 of the anime, though still way behind from the manga), but I caught another possible character similarity:

Asuma & Kurenai = Lupin & Tonks?

As we know, Harry's friends and mentors, Remus Lupin and Nymphadora Tonks died while battling the Death Eaters, though they left behind a son, Teddy, who Harry took as his godson. It took a while for Lupin to confess his love for Tonks, fearing she would reject him due to his status as a werewolf, and his poverty.

Asuma Sarutobi and Kurenai Yuhi are the leaders of two other squads, and while they generally do not fight alongside Naruto or instruct him, they are within the circle Naruto considers his friends, and among those he has vowed to protect. They were often seen together, though Asuma was often aloof at acknowledging his feelings for her, though his students and Kakashi could see it clearly. Recently, Asuma died fighting Hidan of Akatsuki, an organization that threatened the Leaf Village, possibly even more so at this point than Orochimaru. However, Kurenai is currently pregnant with his child, who Shikamaru has vowed to teach and protect once it is born.

Kurenai will likely be kept alive at least long enough to have her baby, but after that, there is a good chance she will die (all Jounin and above are fair game so their students must go at it alone, much like Harry did after losing Dumbledore, Sirius, and Lupin). In that sense, her child will be much like Teddy, whose parents died fighting to protect those important to them, and raised by a family friend who goes from student to teacher.

Conservatives want to be your daddy, telling you what to do and what not to do. Liberals want to be your mommy, feeding you, tucking you in, and wiping your nose. Libertarians want to treat you as an adult
Old September 24th, 2009, 1:15 am
Second Year

We can add in there now, with the development of Naruto, that there's a similarity between the way Harry and Naruto's parents died aswell. Since it'd been implicitly talked of in Naruto that Madara, who appears to be lined up as the main villain, controls the tailed demons we can suggest that he is responsible for Naruto's orphancy, similar to how Voldemort, the main villain of HP, orphaned Harry.

It's also possible their motivations were the same, though there's no way of telling yet. There's a prophecy in Naruto, this we know of, and it's thus possible that Madara learnt of it which is why he attacked Konoha - a rising Senju 'Chosen One' would be cause for concern for the Uchiha patriarch.

With Part 2 of the Naruto manga there are so many more parallels between the two stories it's insane, it's just a shame we've lost one of the biggest parallels in Orochimaru and Voldemort .

Last edited by Myrmedus; September 24th, 2009 at 1:18 am.
Old September 24th, 2009, 9:09 pm
Second Year

Even in "death", Orochimaru still mirrored Voldemort and his Horcruxes. Orochimaru's soul was also severed, and was partially absorbed by Sasuke, and partially by Kabuto. He lives on through them, Kabuto especially (similar to Voldemort living off of Quirrell in Philosopher's Stone).

Old August 26th, 2010, 1:50 am
First Year

I've read Naruto for like four years and never thought about this but when I read the thread I immediately recognized the similarities. It's insane indeed!

Errare humanum est, ignoscere divinum.
Old August 31st, 2010, 8:34 am
Second Year

There are even more similarities when comparing some of the historical figures in the series:

Hashirama Senju & Madara Uchiha = Godric Gryffindor & Salazar Slytherin.

The founders of Hogwarts have some similarities with the founders of Konoha, though there are differences as well. Gryffindor and Slytherin were two of the founders of Hogwarts, along with Helga Hufflepuff and Rowena Ravenclaw. Originally they were the best of friends, and presided over a time of peace at Hogwarts, though there was tension from the threat of Muggle persecution in the wizard world as a whole. Eventually, ideological differences arose between Gryffindor and Slytherin as to what to do with Muggle-born students, and these two conflicting beliefs set in motion a rift between the two, ending with a huge fight (not sure if it was an actual duel or just a very nasty argument) that saw Gryffindor prevail and Slytherin exiled. The founders then laid the basis for the ideologies of the heroes and the villains. Harry, Ron, Hermione, Dumbledore, etc. followed in the ideals of Godric Gryffindor-value on courage, justice, and standing up for what is right. Most members of the Order of the Phoenix were indeed Gryffindor House alumni, with a few exceptions such as Tonks. On the other hand, Voldemort drew his inspiration from his ancestor, Salazar Slytherin, and commanded the Death Eaters with an emphasis on his ideals-cunning, ambition, and pure-blood supremacy. The differences between the founders formed the basis for the modern-day battle we see in the series.

In the Naruto universe, two ninja clans were in a constant state of war, the Senju clan and the Uchiha clan. The leaders of these clans, Hashirama Senju and Madara Uchiha, clashed on numerous occasions, without a clear victor prevailing. Eventually, the clans declared a truce and the two leaders founded Konoha, the Village Hidden in the Leaves, in which they and other ninja clans could live as a unified force for the benefit of their village's nation. While harmony existed for a time, Hashirama and Madara were far from friends. In fact, when Hashirama was appointed the First Hokage, Madara became paranoid that the Uchiha clan would be subjugated and treated as second-class citizens (similar to Slytherin's views on what would happen to pure-blooded wizards). Madara attempted to rally his clan to overthrow the Senju rule, but could not muster the necessary support due to the weariness from constant war. Eventually, Hashirama and Madara battled one last time at the Valley of the End, and Senju was victorious while Madara was believed to have died. However, Madara survived, and secretly plotted his revenge, attacking the village behind the scenes on several occasions through instruments such as the Kyuubi and his command of the Akatsuki. While Hashirama Senju eventually died, his ideals became the foundation of the village, particularly the Will of Fire to protect the citizens of Konoha, giving your own life if need be. This Will of Fire is strong within Naruto as well as the other protagonists as they confront the threat that Madara still presents, even after his banishment.

So in conclusion, while Madara himself is still active in Naruto, while Slytherin's heir, Voldemort, is the villain in Harry Potter, and there was no friendship between Senju and Uchiha, they are similar in that they founded an institution, a rift led to a battle and the villain's exile, and the hero is strongly guided by the winner's principles, while the villain's ideology remains the grave threat that still exists centuries later.

Old December 11th, 2010, 10:30 pm
She Who Walks Behind

I have to admit, the first time I saw Orochimaru I thought "Hey, look Voldemort!". They indeed have similar traits and with Harry and Naruto both being orphans who suffered a horrible childhood, I can see the connection there as well. Although both have totally different personalities.

As for Jiraiya being like Sirius. It's funny, cause I'll always picture Jiraiya as the old porn hermit.

Actually I don't see much similarities between HP and Naruto, besides Orochimaru/Voldemort and their quest to gain immortality and the snake thing.

The End of the Dream.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 4:41 am
Third Year

I think there are a lot of similarities, that is true, it is like Naruto is the Harry Potter of the manga and HP is the Naruto of the books. I love both series.

However, although the similarities are so clear, the plot is very different.
By the way, to me Naruto takes after Ron, not Harry, at least in personality. And Harry would be more like Sasuke. And Sakura is a wannabe Hermione in the sense that she needs too improve herself to reach Hermione's level of competence.

Kakashi is not comparable with any HP character I think, or perhaps he would be the mix of the better qualities in Sirius, James and LUpin

Besides, I think the key to the success of both series, and what makes it more approachable, is the fact that both have a very rich group of secondary characters, both in young ages and in older ages. Actually one of the best success in both is to have characters in all the age levels: teenangers, young adults in their late tweens or middle thirties, mature in their fifties, and even old people, and in all this stages, the characters are well developed and powerfull with their own motivations, and never are they considered a waste just because of their age.

My Fic: Two Introverted Souls.http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=128320

Last edited by sekhmetlion; January 9th, 2011 at 2:14 am.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Pensieve