Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

A Game of Thrones

Old March 8th, 2011, 8:50 pm
Squee-worthy

Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggle_Magic View Post
I haven't followed this thread for so long I'm hopelessly behind. A 15 minutes episode? How many episodes in one show?

"Walk Walker" for the Others? Strange. Where did that come from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by flimseycauldron View Post
Not, fifteen minutes per epi. The first 15 minutes of the first epi. I imagine each episode would be about an hour long. Isn't that typical for HBO?
Right. Each episode is an hour and the season is made up of 10 episodes. April 6th HBO will air the first 15 minutes of Episode 1 - "Winter is Coming" and April 17th the show will actually start, airing the full episode.

Quote:
Huh. I had forgotton that part. (I really do need to read the series again) Or maybe it was the fact that they killed in silence that I remembered rather than the laughter afterwards. (Isn't it funny what we choose to accept and discard visually when we are reading a story?) And this might be because I haven't read the GoT for a while but their kills sometimes come back as zombie like creatures. I thought I saw one in the trailer? So I do think beyond their magical-type weapons they must be somewhat supernatural in and of themselves. But the pale skin thing just seems to go with the coldness that they seem to bring with them. The Other in that pic you showed looks like something out of Planet of the Apes. Nothing really "other" to them. But the pic is kind of blurry so maybe I am not getting the full effect?

The series isn't done yet but I think the Others are going to be part of the ultimate showdown with Dani and Jon. I mean we were introduced to them right out of the gate. And they've been a menacing presence all through the series even though we've seen so little of them. So I really want them to to be "right", you know.
And I think this is the only glimpse of the Others we'll get in the first season. Besides the part where they kill the Rangers they are just referenced, so it's possible that this look will not last (assuming the show does) when the Others play a more prominent role. As for how they look, it doesn't bother me. I'm really no purist with stuff like this, I don't care about hair color or beards, or "eyebrow-gate" for me it's about the acting and how the story is told. So the fact that the Others seem to be "orcs with blue eyes," as someone described it, really doesn't bother me, as long as they are as creepy, evil and ruthless as in the story. The same goes for pretty much the appearance of all other characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyesbo View Post
By the way, it hasn't been confirmed, but HBO Canada said that we would get 2 episodes on April 17th! This past week has been a good one for fans.
Actually HBO Canada mistakenly listed that there would be two episodes. It is just one, like in the States. But I know HBO will be airing the first episode back-to-back-to-back on April 17th, so maybe it's the same there. But this month has certainly been a good one for ASoIaF fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggle_Magic View Post

"Walk Walker" for the Others? Strange. Where did that come from?
Also, it's White Walker. Just when I type on my iPhone it always changes it to Walk Walker. But, no White Walker

Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2011, 9:56 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Godric View Post
Right. Each episode is an hour and the season is made up of 10 episodes. April 6th HBO will air the first 15 minutes of Episode 1 - "Winter is Coming" and April 17th the show will actually start, airing the full episode.

That makes sense.

Quote:
And I think this is the only glimpse of the Others we'll get in the first season. Besides the part where they kill the Rangers they are just referenced, so it's possible that this look will not last (assuming the show does) when the Others play a more prominent role. As for how they look, it doesn't bother me. I'm really no purist with stuff like this, I don't care about hair color or beards, or "eyebrow-gate" for me it's about the acting and how the story is told. So the fact that the Others seem to be "orcs with blue eyes," as someone described it, really doesn't bother me, as long as they are as creepy, evil and ruthless as in the story. The same goes for pretty much the appearance of all other characters.

I absolutely agree. At the same time all we have, until the show starts at least, are visuals. And who can help but compare those images to our minds eye versions? You are right about the acting and atmosphere (I can't wait to hear the sound track!) are really representative of how well characters/creatures are percieved/recieved. For instance, Jon Snow looks like a poor man's Will Turner and his speaking parts I've glimpsed in promos are ambiguous at best. His acting may yet stun me so I try to give it the benefit of the doubt but I would be lying if I didn't say I wasn't nervous. *shrug* On the other hand then you have Ned, Littlefinger, and Tyrion who, while not looking exactly how I pictured, are dynamic right out of the gate. So I guess the same could be said about the Others (blue eyed orcs LOL) thus far that I'm not going to rule them out but do feel some ambiguity.

Quote:
Also, it's White Walker. Just when I type on my iPhone it always changes it to Walk Walker. But, no White Walker

If that was an Other where was the WHITE!

Old March 9th, 2011, 12:48 am
Squee-worthy

Quote:

For instance, Jon Snow looks like a poor man's Will Turner and his speaking parts I've glimpsed in promos are ambiguous at best. His acting may yet stun me so I try to give it the benefit of the doubt but I would be lying if I didn't say I wasn't nervous.
We really only have seen a handful of scenes involving any of the children characters, but so far everything I have seen has been fantastic. I really loved the scene between Jon and Robb when they are saying their goodbyes. And Arya and Bran seem to have their characters down really well. The only one I haven't really seen anything of is Sansa, and I just hope they convey the fact that she is Arya's foil and isn't meant to be well liked.

Quote:
If that was an Other where was the WHITE!
Maybe it just refers to the snow?

Old March 9th, 2011, 5:30 am
Third Year

Quote:
The only one I haven't really seen anything of is Sansa, and I just hope they convey the fact that she is Arya's foil and isn't meant to be well liked.
(Really small) spoiler for the first episode.

Spoiler: show
Sansa doesn't even speak in the pilot, she's just seen.

I do hope we see an increased focus on the Stark children; everyone, except Rickon, is interesting (even though I think Sansa doesn't deserve the name "Stark" :P)

Old March 9th, 2011, 1:40 pm
Zonko's Employee

As much as I dislike Sansa on a personal level so far through the series, as a character she really is very complex and she does suffer greatly for her vanity and naivety. I think that Sansa will eventually prove herself as a Stark before too long. She is growing up in the school of hard knocks and I think that will make her more shrewd and cynical. Believe it or not I see Sansa turning into a slightly more reserved version of her mother (although I have no great love for Caitlyn either). The Stark clan is without a patriarch or matriarch. The only logical person to fill that female void is Sansa because Arya doesn't have a political bone in her body.

That's a little off topic in the thread though as far as the TV show goes. We won't be seeing too much of Sansa, or how she evolves or devolves, unless the show is picked up for another season.

Old March 9th, 2011, 9:16 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
because Arya doesn't have a political bone in her body.
Arya is nine when Game of Thrones starts. I know that I didn't have a political bone in my body at that age, either.

Old March 9th, 2011, 9:38 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
Arya is nine when Game of Thrones starts. I know that I didn't have a political bone in my body at that age, either.
I wasn't knocking on Arya, whom I adore. What I meant to say was that Sansa has always been into the whole fairytale aspect of running a kingdom. It's something that she foolishly believed was honorable and noble. Her life, therefor, has been about growing up in that environment, learning customs, making contacts etc. Things that are vital to the day to day operations. I'm not saying that Arya won't have political thought when she's older, or that she would be incapable of having an impact, or won't be a leader in her own way, but Sansa has alot of potential, in the traditional political realms, if she could just learn to harness it. I think that Sansa has been cruel out of ignorance, not because it is part of her innate personality. It's my hope that her dealings with Cersei, Joffrey, and Littlefinger will give her much needed perspective as she grows older. Just like her mother. At any rate, that's far far into the future...

Last edited by flimseycauldron; March 9th, 2011 at 10:34 pm.
Old March 9th, 2011, 11:36 pm
Squee-worthy

I think Sansa will get some special training on how to play the game from Lord Baelish and probably will emerge as a real player in the Seven Kingdoms.
Especially if she does become Lady of the Vale (although I do not think she will be Lady of Winterfell. Bran, Rickon and possibly Jon could take over the title of Lord of Winterfell).
And it will be interesting to see of what importance she is. (Martin said something about her not appearing in Dance, so I think we'll have to wait for a while to see anything). As for Arya, she certainly isn't going to be any noble lady, she wasn't made for that, but I think she would be happier without that power. But as for the first season of Game of Thrones, I just want Sansa to be portrayed as the ignorant believer in the songs of court, and be presented as an unlikeable character. Martin specifically wrote her in GoT to be unlikeable, to be Arya's (the likable daughter's) foil. Once we get into later seasons they can begin to develop her character and make her more likable, but I hope they don't go for an approach in the first season.

Quote:
(Really small) spoiler for the first episode.

Sansa doesn't even speak in the pilot, she's just seen.
That's interesting. Makes me wonder where the Pilot ends.

Quote:
I do hope we see an increased focus on the Stark children; everyone, except Rickon, is interesting (even though I think Sansa doesn't deserve the name "Stark" :P)
I'm fairly certain the show will have a strong emphasis on the children. Probably not immediately from the beginning, but as the season goes on it will become more focused on them, just like the book. Assuming there are more seasons, the emphasis will be even stronger. As for Sansa not deserving the name Stark, I have always questioned how much Sansa loved her family. Her love for her father and mother are evident, but she certainly seems to hate Arya, and is the only Stark child to refer to Jon as her "half-brother." She just seems very distant from her siblings, rarely thinking about Robb, Bran or Rickon and usually only thinking about how bad Arya is or how Jon is her half-brother and her father's *******. Whereas all of the other siblings seem to have a close bond amongst each other, Sansa seemed more interested in playing with Jeyne Poole than developing a true relationship with her family.

Last edited by Lord Godric; March 9th, 2011 at 11:43 pm.
Old March 10th, 2011, 12:10 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
I think Sansa will get some special training on how to play the game from Lord Baelish and probably will emerge as a real player in the Seven Kingdoms.
Spoiler: Hide
Especially if she does become Lady of the Vale (although I do not think she will be Lady of Winterfell. Bran, Rickon and possibly Jon could take over the title of Lord of Winterfell).
And it will be interesting to see of what importance she is. (Martin said something about her not appearing in Dance, so I think we'll have to wait for a while to see anything). As for Arya, she certainly isn't going to be any noble lady, she wasn't made for that, but I think she would be happier without that power. But as for the first season of Game of Thrones, I just want Sansa to be portrayed as the ignorant believer in the songs of court, and be presented as an unlikeable character. Martin specifically wrote her in GoT to be unlikeable, to be Arya's (the likable daughter's) foil. Once we get into later seasons they can begin to develop her character and make her more likable, but I hope they don't go for an approach in the first season.

I agree with all of that. Sansa won't be lady of Winterfell but she'll still play a big role in the family, I think, by aligning the Vale with Winterfell at least. I would do exactly as you describe with her. Show her horribleness because you have to set a precedent down the road as her character develops.

Quote:
I'm fairly certain the show will have a strong emphasis on the children. Probably not immediately from the beginning, but as the season goes on it will become more focused on them, just like the book. Assuming there are more seasons, the emphasis will be even stronger. As for Sansa not deserving the name Stark, I have always questioned how much Sansa loved her family. Her love for her father and mother are evident, but she certainly seems to hate Arya, and is the only Stark child to refer to Jon as her "half-brother." She just seems very distant from her siblings, rarely thinking about Robb, Bran or Rickon and usually only thinking about how bad Arya is or how Jon is her half-brother and her father's *******. Whereas all of the other siblings seem to have a close bond amongst each other, Sansa seemed more interested in playing with Jeyne Poole than developing a true relationship with her family.
Actually I really like how Martin drew up her character. Her attitude toward Jon is exactly the same as Catelyn's otherwise I imagine that she would treat Jon like either Bran or Rickon. Her attitude toward Arya is more just because she just doesn't understand her sister. If Arya were prim and proper there wouldn't be that antagonistic relationship. Her other brothers are simply there. She does her part. They do theirs. And that is the way families back then were expected to be. Honestly do we see any family that is super close to one another? Still she did manage to fall in love with her direwolf pup, which does show some kind of family pride.

Old March 10th, 2011, 3:16 am
Squee-worthy

Quote:
Honestly do we see any family that is super close to one another?
Well we do see a few families that have close bonds between the siblings: The Starks, with the exception of Sansa, the Tyrells, especially Loras and Margarery, Edmure and Catelyn Tully, and of course Jaime and Cersei Lannister. In a realistic sense Sansa's attitude toward her family may be more true, she's very willing to shed the Stark name and traditions to be Queen Sansa Lannister, but when contrasted with the other members of her family she certainly does stand out. She does seem cold and distant from her siblings, and she doesn't seem like a true 'Stark.' If anything, like you said, she's similar to Catelyn Tully.

Quote:
Still she did manage to fall in love with her direwolf pup, which does show some kind of family pride.
True.
But I always wondered what the significance of Lady being executed was. I interpreted as Sansa's departure from the rest of her family.

Old March 10th, 2011, 3:57 am
Third Year

Quote:
That's interesting. Makes me wonder where the Pilot ends.
Spoiler of where the pilot ends:

"The things I do for love", and Bran falling. Great ending for the first episode, in my opinion.

My shipment of books 2-4 arrives soon, and I can finally discuss the show and the book series without fear of being spoiled

Old March 10th, 2011, 8:17 am
MODLY CREW

For the sake of keeping book spoilers out of this thread - and I mean spoilers for plots that lie three books in the future - why not use our A Song of Ice and Fire thread for speculation about Sansa's and Arya's fate and what them losing their wolves means?

Old March 10th, 2011, 3:29 pm
Squee-worthy

Quote:
Spoiler of where the pilot ends:

"The things I do for love", and Bran falling. Great ending for the first episode, in my opinion.

My shipment of books 2-4 arrives soon, and I can finally discuss the show and the book series without fear of being spoiled
That's a very good place to end the first episode. And I can see why Sansa wouldnt have a speaking part before that scene.

Last edited by Lord Godric; March 10th, 2011 at 3:33 pm.
Old March 10th, 2011, 7:44 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
For the sake of keeping book spoilers out of this thread - and I mean spoilers for plots that lie three books in the future - why not use our A Song of Ice and Fire thread for speculation about Sansa's and Arya's fate and what them losing their wolves means?
Thanks I'll join the discussion over there once I'm up to speed.

By the way, the poster was released! : http://winter-is-coming.net/2011/03/...ones-revealed/

Direct link to the awesome picture, in Hi-Res, here: http://winter-is-coming.net/wp-conte...IAL-POSTER.jpg

Old March 10th, 2011, 10:01 pm
MODLY CREW

I think the poster looks wicked! Love the detail they put into the Iron Throne. I downloaded it the minute GRRM linked to it.

Old March 11th, 2011, 1:57 am
Squee-worthy

I really hope HBO sells banners for the different houses. They have t-shirts for some of the houses (I have to say I do not understand the emphasis they have been placing on the Greyjoys, it greatly bothers me since I hate them all but anyway, I digress...) and some of them are impressive, like the Targaryen one, but I think most of them are just not impressive and I wouldn't wear them. I'm greatly disappointed with houses Stark and Tully. But I would love to have the banners of my favorite houses, and HBO has taken out a patent in a category that covers “Bed sheets, pillowcases, comforters, bedspreads, quilts, pillow shams, bed dust ruffles, bed skirts, duvet covers, comforter covers, bed throws, blanket throws, mattress pads, bed blankets, bed sheets; towels, bath towels, kitchen towels, washcloths; textile wall hangings; fabric banners; handkerchiefs; tablecloths, napkins and placemats.” So it's definitely a possibility.

The poster certainly is fantastic, and it features my favorite line in the series (see my signature ). Also I saw it mentioned somewhere that if you look closely you see that the crow that is seated on the Iron Throne has three eyes. Such a nice touch. I love that they are paying such close attention to detail.

Old March 11th, 2011, 7:48 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Also I saw it mentioned somewhere that if you look closely you see that the crow that is seated on the Iron Throne has three eyes. Such a nice touch. I love that they are paying such close attention to detail.
I never noticed this. How very cool!

Can we have the pilot yet?

Old March 11th, 2011, 2:30 pm
Zonko's Employee

Okay, the Greyjoy T is just wrong on so many levels....

Old March 12th, 2011, 6:34 pm
Squee-worthy

Spoiler TV is reporting that "Winter Is Coming" will run 62 minutes and will air on the 17, 18, 19, 20 and 23.
The description reads: Lord Ned Stark is troubled by distubring reports from a Night's watch desterer; King Robert and the Lannisters arrive at Winterfell; the exiled Viserys Targaryen forges a powerful new allegiance.
Episode two is entitled "The Kingsroad" will air the 24, 26, 27 and 30.
The description for this one reads: The Lannisters plot to ensure Bran's silence; Jon and Tyrion head to the Wall; Ned faces a family crisis en route to King's Landing

So the ending for "Winter Is Coming" that dreyesbo said definitely sounds right.

Old March 14th, 2011, 3:33 am
Squee-worthy

A new trailer and a featurette focusing on House Stark have been released by HBO (they're not on YouTube yet, but I'm sure once they are someone can embed them there.)

In the teaser, I think we saw a wight (along with the same glimpse of the White Walker), or at least a dead Wildling that would be a wight. King's Landing looks magnificent. The Red Keep truly towers over King's Landing and the sea. I wasn't too impressed with Varys' delivery of "the King's a fool" but he certainly looks the part. I originally wasn't how well Mark Addy could pull off Robert, but I have no worries anymore. Cersei seems perfectly evil, both in her speech to Joffrey and her "when you play the game of thrones.." quote.

While the teaser was nice, I thought the Stark featurette was amazing. I have been wanting for a very long time to get a better look at the characters, mainly the child characters and this definitely offered it. I've always liked Robb a lot in the books, and I think Richard Madden is going to pull off that character perfectly. Just seeing him describe the Starks and Robb allowed me to connect with him already. I'm really looking forward to his scenes now. Sophie seems to have a great grasp on who Sansa is, and I've liked Maisie as Arya since I first saw her. We didn't see much of Bran, but I can't say I'm too worried, the same with Jon. The show definitely seems to be setting up the mystery of Jon's parentage with Ned telling him next time they see each other they'll talk.

Every trailer makes it harder and harder to bear the wait. I've already watched these videos 4 times each!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television