Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

A Game of Thrones

Old April 27th, 2016, 12:34 am
Curse Breaker

Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
That would go over well with the book fans! But as you say, the viewership is much broader than that and I'd guess those strongly concerned about Jon's parentage are readers and TV fans who have dug more deeply. I don't know why Joe and Jane should really be obsessed with Jon's parentage at this point, as it hasn't been a blatantly recurring subject in the show, to my knowledge (which is limited, having only watched half of last season after finishing the books - finally).
It has come up a couple of times a year. Last year, it came up pretty explicitly when Stannis' wife was dismissing Jon as the son of some tavern wench and Stannis interjecting that Ned Stark would not have done that. And there was a nice visual connection when Aemon Targaryen (the ancient Maester at the Wall) was lamenting Daenrys fate to Sam, commenting that a Targaryen alone in the world is a sad thing: and then Jon walks into the room.

Quote:
Always refreshing to see! I expect book-centric expectations of the show are also the norm!
They are not the "norm" but they are present. There actually are a lot of show fans who feel that Martin is a dreadful writer and that the show runners have somehow salvaged a good story from his writing. I think that is a little harsh, but, then, when you look at how bad the Feast of Crows book is, it's only a little harsh! (Of course, the TV show pretty much cut the entire book.)

But there is a distinct group of book fans that Harry Potter fandom did not have: those who want the show to be different from the books because they do not want the books "spoiled" by the show. Those are the sorts of fans hoping that Jon turns out to be Aegon or something like that. Indeed, some of them express anger that HBO is not taking a break to let GRRM catch up: they feel that they are "stealing" his story! Of course, he sold it to them, and he promised them that it would be done by now. And given his age and writing speed, this is the only conclusion of the series we ever are going to get. So, I do not shed any tears for him.

Quote:
but it seems the Dorne storyline is off to a dramatic start.
They might have cauterized it! The show runners initially were going to drop Dorne altogether after Oberyn's death. However, one of the directors suggested that Dorne could be a solution to the "what do we do with Jaime Lannister in Season 5 given that his book material was so awful?" dilemma. Well, that proved to be a usable setting for telling Jaime's part of the "kill the boy (or girl), let the man (or woman) be born" story. But, now…. it's a sort of useless appendage.

We will see!

I was very surprised that Jon was not revived in this episode, for what that is worth. I am hoping that they do not drag it out too much.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2016, 1:24 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
Well, Melisandre really has considerably less hubris than Cersei: after all, her god shows her things that come true, and it grants her real powers. For all her talk, Melisandre really is not a believer: she does not have blind faith in R'hllor, but instead she has expectations of R'hllor based on past experience.
Although it now seems that the power is not the gods but Melisandre's.

On the subject of Jon's parentage, one thing I've not seen speculated about (but I'm not much into the fandom) is that he and Ramsay have the same surname indicating that they may be half-brothers from the same mother.

Or it could be just a big red herring and Jon got his name because he is at Winterfell.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old April 30th, 2016, 4:42 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Although it now seems that the power is not the gods but Melisandre's.
How so?

Quote:
On the subject of Jon's parentage, one thing I've not seen speculated about (but I'm not much into the fandom) is that he and Ramsay have the same surname indicating that they may be half-brothers from the same mother.

Or it could be just a big red herring and Jon got his name because he is at Winterfell.
It is because both are from the North, but it is not any sort of red herring. All *******s get a surname based on where they are born. Northern *******s are "Snow." Dornish *******s Sands: they make a little bit of this on the show, where Cersei makes a point that she's never met a Sands before, and Ellaria retorts that they are everywhere in Dorne but that the Dornish do not care. That probably will be important: given what has happened, one of Oberyn's ******* daughters probably will take over in Dorne. Other ******* names include Stone, Hill, Flowers, Rivers and Waters. There probably are others, but there are limits to even my fanboy geekiness!

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old May 2nd, 2016, 6:36 pm
Curse Breaker

Rivers for Tully? Stone for the Barratheons because of Dragonstone...or would that have been Lannisters for their played out mine? Waters for Greyjoy? Flowers for Tyrell? Hill as all-purpose?

I got the opposite reading from the early eps this year. Melissandre has some gift, but the power she channels seems to come mostly from...I can't spell his name. The Lord of Light. Interesting that the L of L and the MFG work magic through their followers using variants of the same process. Common thinking is that they are opponents in the Great War to come, but the two of them are about balance, and the White Walkers are the antithesis of that, neither truly alive nor truly dead. Subject to neither, fearful of neither. Hmm.

So, where are we now? Most of the Houses that participated in the War of the Five Kings are either dead or teetering on the brink of extinction.

Spoiler: show
The Martells are dead thanks to Ellaria's treachery, though perhaps the Sand Snake who flirted with Bronn will make a new line with him. Frankly, it's the only sliver of hope for Dorne not descending into a complete tropical bloodbath. The Lannisters are teetering. Unless Jaime or Tyrion marry, this looks like it's well and truly IT for them. The Greyjoys are right on the edge. Balon's dead, replaced by his insaner brother opposed by Jara and what's left of Theon. I hope Jara wins, but I don't hold out much hope. The Boltons will hopefully die out the rest of the way when someone figures out how to subdue Ramsay and either stab him, flay him, feed him to his dogs, or something even worse. The Barratheons are extinct unless there's a great-uncle someplace or Gendry is recognized. The Arryns are dead when someone finally tires of Sweetrobin. And we all know the situation of the Starks. Ned and Rob dead. Jon (though probably not a Stark himself) newly risen from his first death. Sansa in the cold alone with Brienne and Pod the Pleasure God. Bran stuck in the tree for now. Rickon stuck on the ocean. And Arya in Braavos recuperating from her judgment not yet having decided if she will become one of the Faceless or keep her Face and make a different sort of peace with the MFG and what that will require of her. Possibly facing down quite a few trained, ruthless, zealot assassins with years of training.
"Outlook does NOT look good," says the magic 8-ball.

No worries. No spoilers here.

Last edited by jordmundt6; May 3rd, 2016 at 7:33 pm.
Old May 5th, 2016, 3:17 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
Rivers for Tully? Stone for the Barratheons because of Dragonstone...or would that have been Lannisters for their played out mine? Waters for Greyjoy? Flowers for Tyrell? Hill as all-purpose?
It is specific to regions of the country. Here is a list of names by region.

Quote:
I got the opposite reading from the early eps this year. Melissandre has some gift, but the power she channels seems to come mostly from...I can't spell his name. The Lord of Light.
Yeah, R'hllor is what it is called. I do not know that it is a god, but it certainly has powers. I suspect that it's no better for humanity than the White Walkers are. My bet is that the zenith of the series is going to involve Jon, Daenrys, etc.,

Quote:
So, where are we now? Most of the Houses that participated in the War of the Five Kings are either dead or teetering on the brink of extinction.
In the books, it's made clear that there are second cousins, etc., who are heirs to these people. Of course, the Baratheons are not officially considered to be an issue because Tommen is thought to be a Baratheon by most people. Robyn Arryn has a cousin who (in the books) will probably take much of Ramsay's show material in Winter (if that book ever comes out). In the books, Robb's 2nd or 3rd cousin heir comes up. The Lannisters have cousins other than Lancel in the books, too.

So, the houses will continue: but it will be sort of like Cousin Matthew in Downton Abbey, where a relation rather than a descendant inherits.

Speaking of such things, does anyone suspect that the gift being given to Ramsay is Rickon?

Last edited by Wimsey; May 5th, 2016 at 3:19 pm.
Old May 6th, 2016, 7:24 am
Curse Breaker

I certainly hope not. Rickon just barely avoided a terrible death a few years ago. Ramsey's game is sure to be more violent than Theon's.

There probably are second cousins somewhere, but I actually went hunting through the Lannister family tree. Almost all those branches are dead. Four brothers and a sister. In the books, only the sister is still alive. In the show, the sister and one brother are still alive. Genna (the sister's) son is dead. So, we have Jaime and Tyrion, obviously. But beyond that, only Lancel and Martyn (two of Kevan's sons??) are left of the current generation. Kevan also has an unmarried daughter who hasn't appeared yet. That's not much.

Old May 8th, 2016, 8:55 pm
Knower of things

I think we need to abandon the canon though for the most part, big chunks of the stories in the book have been removed. I will still read them when they come out but the show is compelling viewing.

Ramsey is an unbelievable sicko, I won't say any more in case people have not seen, I really hope he doesn't ever come across Ser Alliser Thorne

Old May 9th, 2016, 9:14 pm
Curse Breaker

Good guess Wimsey. More's the pity. It's really too bad that after years of war the absolute DREGS of the North are the ones still alive.

It might be fitting for Ramsey's body to be disposed of the same way he disposes of ex-paramours. But do it FAST, please.
We NEED young Rick to survive mostly intact...aka NOT as the new Reek...if the Stark line is going to survive at all.

Old May 16th, 2016, 4:24 pm
Fifth Year

At last! A really good episode (meaning No 4). I was underwhelmed with the beginning of S6 and think The Red Woman one of the worst in the whole show. But now we're getting on!

Loved the reunion between Sansa and Jon after biting my nails, expecting something to go wrong. Maybe he would flee out of a back gate in the ten seconds before hearing that guests had just dropped in. No: they met; they hugged. Glad to see Sansa has got some fire in her belly (on other boards this is called: Feminism Ruining The Show.

There were lots of other reunions: Yara andwhat's left of Theon; Margaery and Loras; Dany and her knights. Her dramatic despatch of the Dothraki khals was as ...well, dramatic.. as Jon's resurrection was underwhelming: that's how it should have been done with a suitably epic tone.

Good to see Littlefinger back, no doubt up to some very devious shenanigans.

Really hope Cersei's plot comes to fruition and the Faith Militant get it. However I can't help suspecting that the High Sparrow expected Tommen to tell his mother whatever he told her. I fear he will be prepared for whatever.

Ramsay must die. Slowly and painfully. And soon.

Old May 17th, 2016, 4:22 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liselle View Post
I think we need to abandon the canon though for the most part, big chunks of the stories in the book have been removed. I will still read them when they come out but the show is compelling viewing.
Well, many of us have been saying for years that there are huge chunks of the books that have nothing to do with the stories! The entire Feast for Crows book in particular was basically an irrelevant excursion: if GRRM lives to complete the series (which I deem improbable), then when we get to those key parts akin to Harry's journey to the forest, we will be looking back at stuff from the other four books, but nothing from Crows.

(As a devout "Dorne sucked more than the Iron Islands" person, I was glad to see Dorne get severed quickly; however, I am not thrilled to see Iron Island stuff coming up, for even though I thought that it was less awful than the Dorne stuff, I still thought that it was awful.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liselle View Post
Ramsey is an unbelievable sicko, I won't say any more in case people have not seen, I really hope he doesn't ever come across Ser Alliser Thorne
I did like the way that he seemed almost impressed with the idea of eating people after flaying them.

Quote:
Good guess Wimsey. More's the pity. It's really too bad that after years of war the absolute DREGS of the North are the ones still alive.
I don't think that it's a dregs issue, or at least it's not entirely one. The Umbers have to be scared into a state of constipation by the idea of thousands of Wildlings south of the Wall. (Or a state of completely empty bowels: I've never understood which direction that level of fear is supposed to go!) Ordinarily, the Starks would rally the north in their defense: but thanks to Robb's catastrophic war, the Starks cannot do that, and the Umbers are in worse shape than ever. The only Stark at the head of an army is… leading the Wildlings. Snap.

So, they have no choice but to seek support from the Boltons. And, let's face it: they probably have had it with the Starks. Sure, it's not entirely the Starks fault: but in the real world, leaders get blamed when sides fail regardless of why.

Where I think that this is going to be big is in the upcoming attempt to rally Northerners against the Boltons. Because while this is happening, the Umbers & Others are going to be trying to rally Northerners against the Wildlings. In a way, Jon's Act of Mercy is the best gift that he could have given the Boltons!

Quote:
It might be fitting for Ramsey's body to be disposed of the same way he disposes of ex-paramours. But do it FAST, please.
Sadly, I am betting on one more major atrocity from him. I think that Ramsay (or his forces) are going to sack Castle Black and kill off the Night's Watch in retribution for harboring Sansa.

And I think that this is going to be how the Walkers get through the Wall. (I've thought this ever the "Pink Letter" that we saw last week: in the book, it happens right before Jon's assassination.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfutterman View Post
At last! A really good episode (meaning No 4). I was underwhelmed with the beginning of S6 and think The Red Woman one of the worst in the whole show. But now we're getting on!
Yeah, The Red Woman did not do much for me. (Except for killing off the Dornish: if only Doran's horrific Book Daughter had run onto the pavilion shrieking "Ohhh, Daaaddy" and then gotten axed, too. That would have been sweet…..) Of course, the season starters never do do much for me: they always are all setup and this year in particular, I really wanted them to dive into the story. However, I felt that the 2nd and 3rd picked up the pace. Still, this one left all three far in the dust.

I do really like the parallels that they have set up: the two primary characters are both back from the dead (literally and/or figuratively) and leading armies of savages.

I will also add that both Kitt Harrington (Jon) and Sophie Turner (Sansa) have really amped up their performances. I realize that both were playing characters with limited expressions (Jon always brooding and Sans being basically witless), which always makes performances look limited. I also realize that both are very young (Turner's only about 20 and Harrington is just in his mid-late 20's). Still, Harrington's slightly manic and paranoid performance coupled with Turner's ability to be commanding really communicated a lot about how much both characters have changed. (The part where they basically make fun of their old selves was priceless.)

Old May 17th, 2016, 5:09 am
Curse Breaker

See, here is where Bran's green-seeing time-jumping skin-changing routine could come in handy. He could rewind to Osha dressing, sneak a dagger or something into her dress, and then just as Ramsey is gloating and preparing his move *SPLAT* right in the eye or throat. Really what he deserved. He was playing with her and she almost got the drop on him. To me it looks like we're about to have the reverse of the Stannis battle. Jon brings a small and tired but experienced and tough army to Winterfell and what's left of four clans and Ramsey's hunters get rolled up. Three heads on pikes.
And of course, Bran would be simultaneously strong enough and stupid enough to draw the White Walkers' attention when he's scouting them the same way he almost got Ned's attention. Hopefully, Meera can save him from himself.

Old May 17th, 2016, 2:59 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Sadly, I am betting on one more major atrocity from him. I think that Ramsay (or his forces) are going to sack Castle Black and kill off the Night's Watch in retribution for harboring Sansa.
You think the Bolton et al. army will get to Castle Black before Jon's army gets to Winterfell? In a way, that might help out Jon and the wildlings - better to defend a fortress than besiege one. But Castle Black's not really well defended from the south. Or the Bolton et al. army defeats Jon's wildling army and proceeds to destroy Castle Black? At that point, one would think Ramsay would realize those remaining at Castle Black aren't really Jon supporters and they might as well protect the northern realm, though perhaps he'll think he's rid the North of the wildlings so there's no more use for the Wall or Night's Watch...

Any thoughts on how Jon and Sansa's attempt to regain Winterfell will go? It seems to me Sansa may be wrong in saying the North will follow John - we know he's already lost the Karstarks and Umbers (but he doesn't? Or did Bran tell Sam who told Jon that Rickon went to them?) - combined with the Boltons those are all the families between Castle Black and Winterfell! Unsure if the Manderlys are plotting against the Boltons as in the book. Perhaps he could get the crannogmen? But all those are south. Will Jon look to pick up the mountain clans and miscellaneous, unorganized Northmen, then? I don't see how he can pad his wildling army too much more, unless he uses the Others to his advantage!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey
And I think that this is going to be how the Walkers get through the Wall. (I've thought this ever the "Pink Letter" that we saw last week: in the book, it happens right before Jon's assassination.)
Perhaps Jon taking all the wildlings from the Wall leaves the Night's Watch forces so depleted they can't protect the Wall/themselves from the Others?
Quote:
Yeah, The Red Woman did not do much for me. (Except for killing off the Dornish: if only Doran's horrific Book Daughter had run onto the pavilion shrieking "Ohhh, Daaaddy" and then gotten axed, too. That would have been sweet…..)
I expect you loved the new excerpt from Winds of Winter, then!
Quote:
Of course, the season starters never do do much for me: they always are all setup and this year in particular, I really wanted them to dive into the story. However, I felt that the 2nd and 3rd picked up the pace. Still, this one left all three far in the dust.
Plenty of characters and subplots to remind the viewers of, three episodes is about necessary! Episode 4 seemed to start setting up key information in a hurry to push the story along. There was a lot of tension in this episode, as if the finishing touches were being made on what will be a relatively rapid chain reaction, moving from talk to action. And this episode emphasizes that "unlikely (and begrudging) alliances" story Wimsey anticipated. I expect much of this season to keep up this pace and intensity; it will be interesting to see how some of the less clearly related storylines (relative to the "bigger picture", e.g., Arya, Sam, Iron Islands) are tied in to the conclusion of the "song of ice and fire."

And Episode 4 was made just that much better by Olenna Tyrell once again. A bit sad to see a Potter alum meet her end as well; there goes that pipe dream of Osha stealing away Rickon again!

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138

Last edited by MrSleepyHead; May 17th, 2016 at 3:17 pm.
Old May 18th, 2016, 6:38 am

Quote:
Any thoughts on how Jon and Sansa's attempt to regain Winterfell will go? It seems to me Sansa may be wrong in saying the North will follow John - we know he's already lost the Karstarks and Umbers (but he doesn't? Or did Bran tell Sam who told Jon that Rickon went to them?) - combined with the Boltons those are all the families between Castle Black and Winterfell! Unsure if the Manderlys are plotting against the Boltons as in the book. Perhaps he could get the crannogmen? But all those are south. Will Jon look to pick up the mountain clans and miscellaneous, unorganized Northmen, then? I don't see how he can pad his wildling army too much more, unless he uses the Others to his advantage!
History shows that a small band of well-trained knights can wipe out thousands of peasants and barbarians.

But the last few episodes have been laying out the opposing forces. The Boltons out-number the Starks but the loyalties of the northern banner-men are up for grabs and a lot hinges on who attacks.

Dany is in a similar situation to Hitler at the start of WWII -- massive forces and air power but no fleet to invade.

And the Greyjoys have a huge fleet but aren't much chop on land.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old May 23rd, 2016, 6:50 pm
Fifth Year

Another super episode (The Door) with a heartbreaking end.

Now Dany has a Red Priestess too! The parallels between Jon and Dany make some kind of confrontation inevitable. Great.

Old May 24th, 2016, 3:53 am
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab
History shows that a small band of well-trained knights can wipe out thousands of peasants and barbarians.

But the last few episodes have been laying out the opposing forces. The Boltons out-number the Starks but the loyalties of the northern banner-men are up for grabs and a lot hinges on who attacks.
I didn't expect the addition of the Tully forces. I wonder if we'll see Jaime's exciting Riverlands book role after all, ha! And Littlefinger must have ships to put the Ironborn to shame if he's brought up the Vale army all the way to Castle Black before Sansa and Jon have started rallying the Northmen! The time it takes him to travel just doesn't jive with everyone else. But add in the Tully army (though they're a bit far away, but no hurdle with Littlefinger's help!) and the half dozen or so Northern houses in the air, and I can imagine a decent battle if they can rally before Ramsay heads north.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab
Dany is in a similar situation to Hitler at the start of WWII -- massive forces and air power but no fleet to invade.

And the Greyjoys have a huge fleet but aren't much chop on land.
And how convenient that Dany's fleet in Meereen just happened to be burnt to a crisp... Perhaps they should have shown the two loosed dragons doing that - take the bad with the good!
I enjoyed this episode; now they're not trying to squeeze in every "POV" character into each episode the show has a bit more room to breathe. And it paid off particularly in the Bran scenes. The others were a bit more setup for the next few episodes, but the intensity of the Bran plot and the easy transitions across plotlines made it a very cohesive episode.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old May 24th, 2016, 4:28 am

Must say I was a bit chuffed when Euron came up with a similar plan to what I was envisaging, but if he thinks he can marry and then dominate Dany he's sadly mistaken.

Old May 24th, 2016, 6:34 pm
Curse Breaker

I'm rather hoping his niece drives a spike through his head before the fleet heads south. They already had Osha die in a realistic attempt on lil Ram, one ridiculous pile of dung at a time please. Lil' Ram and Littlefinger have us full up.

Is anyone else bothered by how fast Sansa shifted from "I will never trust you again" to taking Baelish's word for everything? Gah! Of course, that is typical Sansa, isn't it?

Did The Children leave instructions for how to make those magic grenades? Those look like they would have been vital in the future.

Old May 27th, 2016, 5:26 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Another super episode (The Door) with a heartbreaking end.
Yeah, that was devastating. It was one of those situations where my mind was figuring out a half second before it happened, with another part of my mind thinking: no… no…. just… ****…. Seriously, the only time I ever felt that awful after watching a TV show was after the Futurama episode with Frey's petrified dog. (Seymour! Hodor!)

Summer's death was pretty bad, too, but I was afraid that might happen for the symbolism: winter killing summer.

But, I must say, I really like the twist of the Children creating the White Walkers in a desperate attempt to stop a great evil from exterminating them and their weirwood trees. I've been a Thrones fan for nearly two decades, but I never saw that idea floated out there: it's much more what one would get from SciFi than from fantasy.

But what I really like is that after years of seeing people argue about whether this character or that character is "evil" or whether this race or that race is "evil," we get shown that the real "orcs" of this story are… us. That, too, is very SciFi.

Quote:
Now Dany has a Red Priestess too! The parallels between Jon and Dany make some kind of confrontation inevitable. Great.
Yeah, the parallels between the two are really strong: they really are the two primary protagonists of the series (with Tyrion being a sort of George Harrison to their Lennon and McCartney). I don't know if it will be a confrontation, though. Something that the show has not brought up is that some versions of the prophesized "Chosen One" state that there will be three aspects of it: i.e., the dragon has three heads. I do not know if it will come up, but as the show has stuck very close to a Chekhov's Rule dictum of not introducing major plot elements until the season in which they become important, it is possible that we'll hear it yet. The fact that the Red Church has two interpretations of who the Promised Prince is sets up this possibility.

The question that has been plaguing Martin fans for years is: who is #3? I thought that I had figured it out years ago, and I thought that the last book really supported the idea. However, this season came and… the character was not cast. So, I'm a bit stumped.

Quote:
You think the Bolton et al. army will get to Castle Black before Jon's army gets to Winterfell? In a way, that might help out Jon and the wildlings - better to defend a fortress than besiege one. But Castle Black's not really well defended from the south.
My suspicion is that Sansa, Davos and some others will go out and try to find some supporters among the Northmen, but that Jon and the Wildlings will be on the move. Jon is both a traitor (he is supposed to kill Wildlings, not let them into the country) and a deserter from the Nights Watch. Somehow, I don't think "I died, so I am released from my vows: but then I got better!" is going to fly too well as an excuse! That, and the Northerners hate the Wildlings with good reason: as both the show and books emphasize, the Wildlings have been reaving for centuries. So, having them around might be bad for raising Stark support.

And what that means is that I expect that Ramsay will have 20 good men go to Castle Black on the pretense of reinforcing the Watch or something like that, and then clean out the place trying to find Sansa, or just as punishment for harboring her. And that is how I think the Wall is going to wind up opening up to the White Walkers. I do have this dread fear that we'll see a flayed Dolorous Edd before the year is out…..

Quote:
I expect you loved the new excerpt from Winds of Winter, then!
I have not read it and nor will I. I intend to skip all of the Dorne chapters if Winds of Winter ever is released: my bet is that it not only will not harm my understanding of the story, but actually improve it!

Quote:
The big problem for Sansa's side is that the Wildlings are an enemy of all Northerners: and nothing makes a country forget it's internal squabbles more than a traditional enemy. (Just look at what happened to the major internal squabbles in the US after the 9/11 attacks.) In a way, a Wildling invasion is just too good to be true for the Boltons: if nothing was happening, then a smart tactic for them would have been to find a way to sneak several large bands of them into Westeros, and then raise the North against the Wildlings.

(If there are conspiracy theorists in Westeros, then that is no doubt their take on it all…)

My suspicion is that what will happen is that Sansa is going to have to swallow her pride, and seek Baelish's help. However, I will not be surprised if a lot of the Northerners just sit out: they won't side with either Boltons or Wildlings. It's also quite possible that Stark popularity is pretty low. After all, Robb did execute a Northern lord (for doing something of which most Northerners would approve), Catelyn squandered a major asset in Jaime Lannister just to get her daughters back (and this is not a world that puts too much value on daughters), and losing major wars spectacularly never does much good for your polling numbers.

What I think it is going to take to unify the North is a big chunk of the Wall coming down, and the Cane Toads from Hell walking through.

Quote:
AND she's about to invade a country as a devastating Winter is about to hit! That's Daeny: part Adolf Hitler, part Abe Lincoln…..

Quote:
Must say I was a bit chuffed when Euron came up with a similar plan to what I was envisaging, but if he thinks he can marry and then dominate Dany he's sadly mistaken.
Crazy might be a more exact word. But, then, this show does crazy really well:
  1. Lysa Arryn
  2. Selyse Baratheon
  3. Ramsay Bolton
  4. The High Sparrow
  5. Theon Greyjoy (post surgery)

That is a lot of loose screws! And now we have Euron. I must admit, I thought that the Iron Islands **** was almost as putrid as the Dorne **** in the books; however, they already cut out most of the really bad stuff from this plot line, and they actually put one of the main characters in it. So, it's looking up.

So…. this week! A dumb part of me almost hopes for a slow episode: after the last three, I feel like I need a breather! However, come Sunday, I'll be wanting Hardhome+The Door all wrapped into one!

Last edited by Wimsey; May 27th, 2016 at 5:33 am.
Old May 27th, 2016, 6:12 am

Quote:
Summer's death was pretty bad, too, but I was afraid that might happen for the symbolism: winter killing summer.
Down to two dire wolves.

Quote:
I have not read it and nor will I. I intend to skip all of the Dorne chapters if Winds of Winter ever is released: my bet is that it not only will not harm my understanding of the story, but actually improve it!
Approaching the series from a purely TV perspective Dorne has been hugely disappointing. So much was made of the fighting prowess of the Snakes but they seem pretty hopeless unless there opponent's back is turned or they are buried up to the neck.

Old May 30th, 2016, 3:41 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Approaching the series from a purely TV perspective Dorne has been hugely disappointing. So much was made of the fighting prowess of the Snakes but they seem pretty hopeless unless there opponent's back is turned or they are buried up to the neck.

Yeah, Dorne is not good. It was much better on the show than it was in the books: but getting stabbed once by a clean blade is better than getting stabbed multiple times by one that is covered in feces, too.

This week's episode was back to all setup. But, after last week, a moderately intense episode would seem like a letdown, so it probably was just as wise. Still, they need to hang the guns for firing the rest of the season.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television