Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Way Ahead for Deathly Hallows Movie(s)

View Poll Results: What is your most anticipated scene in DH?
The Seven Potters 26 4.31%
Ministry Heist 15 2.49%
Godric's Hollow 32 5.31%
The Silver Doe 51 8.46%
Malfoy Manor 45 7.46%
The battle of Hogwarts 187 31.01%
The Prince's Tale 130 21.56%
King's Cross 27 4.48%
The Flaw in the Plan 48 7.96%
other 42 6.97%
Voters: 603. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 17th, 2009, 2:44 am
Third Year

Re: Way Ahead for Deathly Hallows Movie(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana View Post
You know what, this is the link to the whole article that Leaky got it from:

http://www.collider.com/2009/07/16/e...athly-hallows/

They talk about quite a bit. It says that the scripts for both Part 1 and 2 are about "120 pages, or so..." Is that a pretty good length for each part? I don't know.
Each page translates to about a minute or so of screen time so each of these is looking to be around 2+ hours...hope this helps

Proud member of

-She is the definition of perfect-
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2009, 2:54 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevrusSnape View Post
Each page translates to about a minute or so of screen time so each of these is looking to be around 2+ hours...hope this helps
Yes it does, thank you. I'm hoping each part goes longer than 2 hours though.

Old July 17th, 2009, 3:05 am
Third Year

Quote:
Yes it does, thank you. I'm hoping each part goes longer than 2 hours though.
I'm sure that they will be closer to 2 and a half hours Heyman even said that in the interview

Proud member of

Old July 17th, 2009, 3:41 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
I'm sure that they will be closer to 2 and a half hours Heyman even said that in the interview
I totally don't remember that. That interview was long. I skimmed over most of it. I'll read it through complete later though.

Old July 17th, 2009, 3:57 am
Fifth Year

So it's confirmed now that Hooper won't be back to score DH. I like his soundtrack for HBP, but I love the fact that John Williams might be returning. His scores will suit the epicness of DH perfectly and hopefully will help put more energy boost into Yates' movies.

EDIT: Glad to hear in an interview that Yates is trying to "bring everyone back" for the final battle. This should be like a huge reunion for the cast.

Last edited by ThaiHPFan; July 17th, 2009 at 4:39 am.
Old July 17th, 2009, 4:38 am
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Quote:
*gasps* How do you know that Oldman is back? Last I knew, he was the only one not on board yet, as far as those four go. I know Lupin is in, and the gal that plays Lily, but I'm not sure about James...or Sirius.
Hm, maybe it's just a rumor, but I seem to remember reading something where Dan says he's happy to be working with Oldman again. Ah, it's this interview.

Dan RadcliffeThe good thing is — it suddenly occurred to me the other day — Gary Oldman will be in there for that scene.
I guess I just read too much into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiHPFan View Post

EDIT: Glad to hear in an interview that Yates is trying to "bring everyone back" for the final battle. This should be like a huge reunion for the cast.
Does he mean like EVERYONE like even Oliver Wood and Lee Jordan?

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old July 17th, 2009, 4:48 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiHPFan View Post
So it's confirmed now that Hooper won't be back to score DH. I like his soundtrack for HBP, but I love the fact that John Williams might be returning. His scores will suit the epicness of DH perfectly and hopefully will help put more energy boost into Yates' movies.

I gotta say I have mixed feelings about John Williams returning, I mean He is fantastic I love his work, It's just that Hooper did so good in HBP I dont wanna see him go If John Williams does come back, It's gonna probaly have to be a drastic change, I doubt he would gives us those cute little magical melodies and super beautiful happy magical feeling scores that we had in 1-3, gonna have to go alot more darker and serious I think, tho I kinda want to see them use Buckbeaks Flight for when they are riding the dragon out of Gringotts, I think he'll do fine tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
like even Oliver Wood and Lee Jordan?
I sure hope so I read something about Lee Jordan radio thing being in the script I believe a few weeks ago, I think it was in the same piece of news I saw on TLC that we heard that Xenophilius Lovegood's house will be the start of the snatcher chase scene and capture.

Last edited by BubbleSnake; July 17th, 2009 at 4:58 am.
Old July 17th, 2009, 4:52 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Hm, maybe it's just a rumor, but I seem to remember reading something where Dan says he's happy to be working with Oldman again. Ah, it's this interview.

Dan RadcliffeThe good thing is — it suddenly occurred to me the other day — Gary Oldman will be in there for that scene.
That's good enough for me! I'm so happy about this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleSnake View Post
Quote:
Quote:
like even Oliver Wood and Lee Jordan?
I sure hope so I read something about Lee Jordan radio thing being in the script I believe a few weeks ago, I think it was in the same piece of news I saw on TLC that we heard that Xenophilius Lovegood's house will be the start of the snatcher chase scene and capture.
Sounds good to me! I always liked Oliver and would love to see him back!

Old July 17th, 2009, 5:24 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
The Prince's Tale. I can't wait to see Severus and Lily together. And I do hope they'd do this part justice and nor shrink it to a handful of flashbacks.
I agree totally, I will feel ripped off if they don't give this the space it deserves.

Always.
Old July 17th, 2009, 5:26 am
Third Year

Quote:
I totally don't remember that. That interview was long. I skimmed over most of it. I'll read it through complete later though.
"They haven’t decided the length of part 1 and 2. But he expects it to be around 2 to 2 and a half hours per film." That was a little summary point that he got from the interview

Proud member of

Old July 17th, 2009, 5:29 am
Fourth Year

I'm really looking forward to the battle at Hogwarts. I was a little disappointed that they left the HBP battle out of the movie. I'm sure they'll make up for it in DH by giving us some epic fight sequences. In an interview, David Heyman said the battle will last at least 30 minutes. It's a great interview.
You can read it here

edit: ah should of read the previous posts lol, the interview has already been posted...

Old memories seldom fade
And bad habits die hard...
Old July 17th, 2009, 6:40 am
Second Year

The kings cross scene if they show Voldemort in the background will be very scary and interesting to see I think. I am really excited to see Nevil in action with Nagini as well.

Old July 17th, 2009, 10:18 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karabelle View Post
Did you mean "gone" as in not talked about? Because the cloak is actually in the movie. You see Harry carrying it behind his back on the train and he's wearing it while listening in on Draco's conversation.
Oh yes! Phew! I just was struck that they didn't use it during the astronomy tower. BUT I thought surprise and shock as paralyzing agents was actually better.

I guess what bugs me about the tower scene is that it was all modern, when Hogwarts in my mind, and the tower, was crenelated (old-fashioned). Also, I couldn't see around the damn sculptures to build up emotional intensity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th_Wonder View Post
I'm really looking forward to the battle at Hogwarts. I was a little disappointed that they left the HBP battle out of the movie. I'm sure they'll make up for it in DH by giving us some epic fight sequences.
Maybe they didn't want to do it twice. There's a lot of repetition in JKR (like inferi and GOF Lake).

Quote:
"They haven’t decided the length of part 1 and 2. But he expects it to be around 2 to 2 and a half hours per film."
To me, that is way too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleSnake View Post
I saw on TLC that we heard that Xenophilius Lovegood's house will be the start of the snatcher chase scene and capture.
That is great!

Last edited by FemmeCerebus; July 17th, 2009 at 10:21 am.
Old July 17th, 2009, 10:27 am
Third Year

[quote=To me, that is way too long.[/QUOTE]

Why do you think that is too long? the whole point of this split is to get as much information in as they can, having 2 movies and one being like 2 hours and the other being an hour and a half to me wouldn't make sense, you might as well just have a 3 and a half hour movie...They each have to be at least 2 hours long and that's at the very least in my opinion

Proud member of

Old July 17th, 2009, 10:53 am
Second Year

I was shifting in my seat in this one, and the 8 year old with me was bored from after Ron's nearly dying. I think 2.5 hours is "self-indulgent". But this is the wrong crowd for THAT idea

With the destruction of the Burrow, I'm thinking now that there will be NO wedding, that DH will open with DD's funeral and the white tomb, and people gossiping, and the funeral will be attacked. Like the death of DD will start DE momentum until by the end of 7A they appear to have totally won.

But how they fit the 7 Potters in, is beyond me, unless it goes:
7 Potters
Get to DD's funeral
Funeral is attacked
Escape to 12 Grimmauld.

I'm repeating myself but I like how Kloves is able to simplify JKR's plots a bit.

7 Potters
Get to DD's funeral
Scrimegeour - Will - Horcrux clues?
Funeral is attacked
Escape to 12 Grimmauld
Attack on MOM
Flee to Forest(s)
Open Locket
Jealosies
Ron leaves
Godric's Hollow
Silver Doe / Ron returns
Xeno Lovegood
Taken by DE's (to go to Malfoy Manor).

(did I miss something?)

I don't like GH without Ron, even though he wasn't there in the book. I don't think Ron coming back can be enough of a climax. Maybe they can fight without Ron leaving, or Ron can come back to thwart Nagini in GH.

What if HERMIONE is captured and sent to MOM to be examined by UMBRIDGE (instead of the strangers) and Ron and Harry have to break her out.

Last edited by FemmeCerebus; July 17th, 2009 at 10:56 am.
Old July 17th, 2009, 11:08 am
Second Year

Quote:
I don't like GH without Ron, even though he wasn't there in the book. I don't think Ron coming back can be enough of a climax. Maybe they can fight without Ron leaving, or Ron can come back to thwart Nagini in GH.
I saw on a certain interview, where Harry was talking about him fighting the snake. So i don't think Ron will do that. I think it will just end with the snatchers catching them, and the audience (well non-book readers) dont know where they'll be taken.

You'll be okay, Harry. You're a great wizard. You really are.
Not as good as you.
Me? Books and cleverness. There are more important things. Friendship and bravery. And Harry, just be careful.

Sorted

Last edited by thefirestorm; July 17th, 2009 at 2:42 pm.
Old July 17th, 2009, 11:58 am
Secret Keeper

Ha, I just realized that this is the former DH Movie Thread from Muggle Studies...I thought it had dissapeared temporarily

Well, I posted this in the DH Split thread, but I suppose it's more appropriate here? I was asked the following question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccioHP
I know you're good with times for films, and since there's no DH thread at the moment I thought I'd ask you here.
http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/20...-be-30-minutes
Heyman is saying the Battle of Hogwarts will probably be 30 minutes. What do you think about that. Is that a sufficient amount of time?Im no expert on this
OMG, I hadn't seen that yet. Thanks for showing me...that's awesome!

Ok, well...it's kinda tricky, read these posts, I hope it makes sense. It was a convo with another poster, but I'll just quote my posts:

Quote:
And I completely disagree...when was the last time you read the book? I've looked through these chapters loads recently and there is a lot more going on. There is nearly an entire chapter where they are right in the thick of the battle as they are trying to safely get out of the castle and reach the Shreiking Shack. Sure, there is a bit of a break after that...probably be about 10 minutes of battle before we go into TPT and The Forest Again. But then the entire last chapter is once again battle, and will most likely require a good 15 minutes. So you have about 25 minutes of battle broken up into 2 portions, which will help prevent any potential monotomy (which I don't think will be a problem anyways)
Quote:
No, no...you misunderstand, but this is common mistake. I don't mean only 25 minutes for the whole Battle of Hogwarts...I'm thinking more like hour and a half for that, meaning from time they return to Hogwarts to the end. I was simply saying the actual "battling" (action) would be about 25 min. There is a lot of other stuff going on such as the "reunion" in the RoR, going up to Ravenclaw Tower, tracking down remaining horcruxes, preparations, Prince's Tale, Forest Again, etc. I outlined all this somewhere, but can't find it at the moment
Quote:
No worries (), I need to make myself more clear actually I think...this is like at least the 5th time I've seen this mistake made. Not just with me though, I saw a lot of confusion on IMDB with that. Though in that case it was like the opposite. Someone made a thread post that said, "90 minute Battle of Hogwarts, do you agree?!" and everyone was flaming them saying things like "what the heck, are you insane?!...not even LotR was more than like 30 min " Well they didn't understand that they meant for the entire duration at Hogwarts

Ok, so now we look at Heyman's words carefully to figure out which he means (the battle itself or the entire duration at Hogwarts)

Quote:
HEYMAN:

Absolutely. I mean we’ve got a script version of it. I think it’ll probably be 30 minutes, they get the Hogwarts fairly early on, but there’s a lot of build up before the battle happens, you know? And there are 2 parts to the battle. There’s the first part and then there’s the post-death of Harry part, if you know what I mean.
That to me says he is talking about JUST the "battle" and not the entire duration at Hogwarts. And he pretty much echo'd exactly what I said ()...there is 2 parts. So 30 minutes sounds perfect to me...I had calculated about 25, but I certainly wouldn't mind an additional 5

These films sound like they are shaping up to be sooo incredible! Gah, TWO MORE YEARS...I can't wait that long!

This is also carry over from that other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
David Yates on the Battle of Hogwarts:

Absolutely. I mean we’ve got a script version of it. I think it’ll probably be 30 minutes, they get the Hogwarts fairly early on, but there’s a lot of build up before the battle happens, you know? And there are 2 parts to the battle. There’s the first part and then there’s the post-death of Harry part, if you know what I mean.

OK, so what I can glean from that is that Yates means by 30 minutes for the Battle of Hogwarts (which is a heck of a long time in screen time) is that they're breaking it up into two 15-minute sections, the 'two parts' of the battle. So it won't be continual battling. Have I got that right?

Presumably the first part will be broken up with Harry's crucial viewing of Snape's memories in the Pensieve.
Yes, I believe so. Read my above post, where I go into more detail...but I'll try to sum it up here...hopefully you can remember content by chapter but this is how it went down in the book (as you can see doing it the way Heyman says they are in the film is perfectly fitting )

Part 1 = "Battle of Hogwarts"/"Elder Wand" >> BREAK = "Prince's Tale", "Forest Again" and "King's Cross" >> Part 2 = "The Flaw in The Plan"

It may be 15 and 15, or it could be like 10 and 20. I recall outlining "The Flaw in the Plan" at 22 minutes...but not all of this is "battle"

Quote:
Dang its not loading for me at the moment but a battle that is 20-30 minutes I think is perfect at first you may think wow only 25 minutes but then you sit back and realize it will be 25 minutes of crazy action which viewers may not want to see, it is a lot of action but I'm sure it will be broken up a bit...I think that range is perfect....I just rambled a lot and I hope some of this made sense
Yep, I agree this is like a perfect range of time.

Any longer and it could get boring. I'm trying to think of the longest battles in film that I've seen. Well, of course you have Helm's Deep in LotR which was like a half hour and I felt was really pushing it...as well as the Battle of Minas Tirith/Pelanor Fields, which again was about a half hour and pushing it. Another example would be the riveting 24 minute Normandy Beach Invasion sequence in Saving Private Ryan. Probably the worst battle sequence in terms of being dragged out too far would be in the recent Transformers sequel. I'm not sure how long that desert battle went on for but I'd guess it was at least 20 minutes. But for DH, a half hour split into 2 parts is just right in my opinion

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; July 17th, 2009 at 12:12 pm.
Old July 17th, 2009, 2:40 pm
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala_way View Post
With no Bill or Fleur in HBP and the surprising addition of Remus/Tonks I'm wondering if the wedding at the beginning of DH will be Remus/Tonks. There's so much that happens in and around the wedding, Harry gets tons of information there! So I'd be interested to know how they'll spin that. I'd actually be happy to see that wedding, especially if we get to see Remus' breakdown later on, which would tie it all in.
They have cast Bill and it was recently confirmed that Clemence Posey (sp?) will be returning as Fleur for DH. We saw Bill in the pictures from the filming for Shell Cottage. And David Heyman confirmed that they will be filming the wedding with Bill and Fleur here in the next few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by decarus View Post
I am surprised so many people picked the Prince's tale because i sort of hope they do very little with that storyline. I think that the memory where Snape discusses killing Dumbledore and then telling Harry he is a horcrux when Voldemort keeps his snake near him is important, but otherwise i could leave it.
I agree. I think they will cut quite a bit from The Prince's Tale - there are over 20 memories there. They felt it necessary to cut the memories about Voldemort down to three for HBP so I suspect they'll want to cut these down as well.

Quote:
I picked Godric's Hollow. Harry putting flowers on his parents grave. Hermione finding the Pevril (however you spell that) gravestone. Vsiting the blown up house. Meeting Bathilda. Speaking to her alone. Realizing she is the snake. Harry and Hermione jumping out the window and disapparating in midair just as Voldemort enters the room.
That will be a good scene. But I still can't pick just one scene! There are too many I'm looking forward to.

Quote:
Heyman on Deathly Hallows and the length for 'The Battle of Hogwarts'!!

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/20...-be-30-minutes

He says it'll probably be around 30 minutes long!
Is that too long? Not long enough? What do you think? I don't know what to think yet!
That sounds perfect to me.

Quote:

Well - at the very least - I think we can take that as confirmation that they plan on having Gary Oldman return for that scene.

Quote:
Does he mean like EVERYONE like even Oliver Wood and Lee Jordan?
I really hope so - that would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FemmeCerebus View Post
With the destruction of the Burrow, I'm thinking now that there will be NO wedding, that DH will open with DD's funeral and the white tomb, and people gossiping, and the funeral will be attacked. Like the death of DD will start DE momentum until by the end of 7A they appear to have totally won.
The wedding has already been confirmed - see above.

It is possible that they could open DH with Dumbledore's funeral, but if they do something like that, I think it would most likely be a brief bit at the opening of the film - similar to how they opened HBP with that brief moment depicting what happened at the Ministry after Sirius died in OOTP. From there, I think they would go to the opening credits and The Dark Lord Ascending.

From what we've heard regarding casting information - as well as comments from Heyman, Yates, and the actors - the beginning of DH part 1 will be very similar to the book in terms of the events.
  • Dark Lord Ascending (Charity Burbage has been cast)
  • In Memoriam/Dursleys Departing (the Dursleys will be returning)
  • Seven Potters/Fallen Warrior (Brenden Gleason is returning as Mad-Eye and Heyman commented on Seven Potters)
  • Ghoul in PJ’s – talking about Horcruxes, making plans (unconfirmed, but seems likely to be included in some form)
  • Harry’s birthday dinner/Dumbledore's Will (Bill Nighy cast as Scrimgeour and he commented on this scene)
  • Wedding/Death Eater attack (Bill and Fleur cast, also confirmed by Heyman)
  • Tottenheim Court Rd/café attack (already filmed with pictures from the filming)

Quote:
Rupert Grint confirmed that they have filmed the scene where Harry and Ron argues and Ron leaves. Dan talked about filming the scene where he fought with Nagini - and it sounds like he was fighting by himself there.

Yates confirmed that the climax for part 1 is most likely going to be around the point where the trio is captured by the snatchers - we're not completely sure when, but it sounds like part 1 will end with the trio's capture. I need to look at the recent interviews to be sure, but I think he also said that they're going to go from the scene with Xenophilius Lovegood into the trio being captured by the snatchers so part 1 will end well after Ron returns in The Silver Doe.

Quote:
What if HERMIONE is captured and sent to MOM to be examined by UMBRIDGE (instead of the strangers) and Ron and Harry have to break her out.
Considering that the trio will be on their own and isolated from the rest of the wizarding world after the attack on the wedding, I don't see how that would work. Why would Hermione be the only one captured and not Harry or Ron? Particularly Harry since he's "UNDESIREABLE #1".

Also, the scene for the break-in at the Ministry has already been filmed - at least in part. They cast three actors to play the Ministry employees that the trio impersonate and we've seen pictures from the filming of that scene outside the Ministry. So we can say for certain that none of the trio are captured at this point in the film. They will decide to break into the Ministry to retrieve the locket just as they did in the book - most likely due to information they get from Mundungus since he has been cast as well.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old July 17th, 2009, 2:49 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesha1971 View Post
They have cast Bill and it was recently confirmed that Clemence Posey (sp?) will be returning as Fleur for DH. We saw Bill in the pictures from the filming for Shell Cottage. And David Heyman confirmed that they will be filming the wedding with Bill and Fleur here in the next few weeks.
Thanks for that information. After seeing HBP, I was nearly certain they were going to skip the Wedding and just use Harry's birthday party as an event to be attacked instead of the wedding.

Old July 17th, 2009, 3:08 pm
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
Thanks for that information. After seeing HBP, I was nearly certain they were going to skip the Wedding and just use Harry's birthday party as an event to be attacked instead of the wedding.
I considered that possibility myself after we got reports back from people who saw the screening of HBP last October that the wedding was never mentioned in HBP. I figured they would just skip the wedding and make Harry's birthday party a bigger event with more guests invited and the Death Eater attack would occur there.

But once it was confirmed that they had cast Bill, I was sure that Bill and Fleur's wedding would be included - why else would they cast him? Then we got confirmation that Fleur was returning and Heyman capped it by confirming that they'll be filming the wedding soon.

I'm glad it worked out that way. I would have been fine with them expanding Harry's birthday party instead, but I much prefer them including Bill and Fleur's wedding because it means there will be less they have to change later on in the films.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References