Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

The Marauders: Group Character Analysis

View Poll Results: Who is your favourite Marauder?
James 100 25.32%
Remus 213 53.92%
Sirius 182 46.08%
Peter 11 2.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 395. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 17th, 2007, 10:03 pm
MODLY CREW

The Marauders: Group Character Analysis

This is a new and shiny attempt at having a thread analysing the Marauders without focussing on one Marauder only. Remus, James, Sirius and Peter are probably the most tragic group within the series and they all end up dead. But the dynamics are also very complex and and so are the readers' opinions when it comes to the Marauders.
  1. How did James' and Sirius' particularly close friendship influence Remus and Peter? Did they feel left out or inferior?
  2. Why was Remus the main suspect in 1981? Did Peter have a walk-over to discredit Remus if he did so at all?
  3. James, Sirius and Peter became Animagi for Remus. Was this noble or adventurous?
  4. What did the other Marauders think about James' obsession with Lily?
  5. How did Lily influence the dynamics within the Marauders?
  6. James chose Sirius as godfather. Were Remus and Peter understanding or hurt by this decision?
  7. Peter betrayed his friends. Was he ever happy with this decision and do you think that his friends would be able to forgive him if they had the chance?
  8. Was joining the Order a joint decision or was peer pressure involved? For instance, did James and Sirius lead the way and Remus and Peter follow?
  9. The Marauders had a very hostile relationship with Snape. Would this have been different if Snape had been sorted into Gryffindor? Did the Marauders antagonise other students that were into the Dark Arts as well or did they single out Snape from the start?
  10. How do the Marauders compare to Fred and George? Do you think that they, and especially James and Sirius, were worse or just as funny as the Weasley twins?
  11. Did Deathly Hallows change your mind about the Marauders? Do you think that they were portrayed favourably or came out badly?
  12. Which Marauder do you like best and what are the traits that endear him to you? Did the other Marauders appreciate these traits?

Before you start posting, please make sure to read REVISED: Character Bashing/Worship: aka Shades of Gray , In-Thread Moderator Warnings and How to have a pleasant conversation on any topic. Be aware that this is a very sensitive and emotionally explosive topic. Making inflammatory or needlessly provocative remarks may get you temporarily banned from Legilimency Studies.

Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2007, 10:31 pm
Lycanthrope

Re: The Marauders: Group Character Analysis

1. How did James' and Sirius' particularly close friendship influence Remus and Peter? Did they feel left out or inferior?

Nah, no one felt left oour or inferior. It is often the case within a group that a duo will be closer in ways. It is possible that Peter felt closer to James at times and that Remus felt closer to Sirius at times or some other configuration as well. For the most part there is not all that emotional nonsense with friends of four dudes, at least in my experience. They are just your buddies. James and Sirius liked to play ringleader and they mentioned that Remus would make statements of constraint from time to time, but they all managed to get their names on the trouble making slips In addition, they all showed their friendship to one another in many ways, like becoming animagi for Remus, etc. So the most important thing is that your buddies are there for you, don't rat you out and if a couple go off now and again on duo adventures it is no big deal, they are still your best buddies.

2. Why was Remus the main suspect in 1981? Did Peter have a walk-over to discredit Remus if he did so at all?

With all due respect, this question incorrectly states canon. (no offense). Remus the Main suspect? That is not canon at all - unless you mean with respect to Sirius. Remus was only suspected by Sirius that we know of. Peter suspected no one because he knew it was him. Remus suspected Sirius. That is all we know of canon, anything else is pure speculation. Sirius and Remus were both smart - it stands to reason that they would both suspect one another and think Peter too dumb. James we don't know about at all. Remus later said that he would have found it the height of dishonor to distrust his friends, so coming from him, it is highly unlikely he'd say so if he'd been mistrusted by James in the very event that he was speaking about.

3. James, Sirius and Peter became Animagi for Remus. Was this noble or adventurous?

Both. Noble as friends and they all had great adventures!

James merely had a crush on Lily and asked her out starting in 5th - er - kind of like we all did back in 5th grade? She wasn't into it and he couldn't seem to convince her until 7th. We don't know how many more times James asked her out, but likely a few. Sirius, Remus and Peter didn't seem to mind - why would they? They are dudes too, they know whats up. We don't really know of any contact between Lily and James other than that.

There is no canon about this. I would imagine like all girls do. Take your buddy away a bit and eventually if it is a cool girl, she hangs with the buddies too. It appears that is what happened as she was on a nickname basis with them all. even 'wormy' for wormtail. So not likely much affect at all - dudes understand these things unless they are pretty needy and the Mauraders don't strike me as a needy group with the possible exception of Peter, but he wouldn't care either because he still had the others.

Besides Sirius was supposedly handsome and always attracting the girls and likely dating and stuff and James too - possibly even Remus - and who knows, even Peter dated, so they did this stuff all the time. But all thir dating wasn't pertinent to the story so we didn't hear about it.

6. James chose Sirius as godfather. Were Remus and Peter understanding or hurt by this decision?

Lol. They didn't seem to be over-emotional people, they were normal dudes. Why would they be hurt?

7. Peter betrayed his friends. Was he ever happy with this decision and do you think that his friends would be able to forgive him if they had the chance?

Nah, he was bummed as we saw in the letter by Lily. Later he got used to it I suppose, but he always felt regret according to DD and Harry so, I suppose he was always unhappy about it. I don't think he truly believed they would ever forgive him. They likely will in the afterworld.

8. Was joining the Order a joint decision or was peer pressure involved? For instance, did James and Sirius lead the way and Remus and Peter follow?

They all had strong feelings for the cause - maybe except Peter. I think the rest all wanted to join as a matter of course.

7. The Marauders had a very hostile relationship with Snape. Would this have been different if Snape had been sorted into Gryffindor?

I'd say yes. Snape wouldn't have made the negative noise on the train if he didn't mind Gryffindor and they would have all gotten off to a better start. If he had, but then found himself in Gryffindor somehow, there would have been big problems between him and all Gryffindors about his interest in the dark arts. Perhaps the peer pressure would have helped Snape. If so, they might have just treated him like all other Gryffs.

8. Did the Marauders antagonise other students that were into the Dark Arts as well or did they single out Snape from the start?

Snape started things up on the train and so they all had early antagonism going on. But I am sure that the Marauders pranked everyone - and had not nice comments for the dark arts followers (I would presume all students did like in Harry's day). Basically, I think it was like in Harry's day with the Marauders harder on them as Harry was on Draco, Crabbe and Goyle.

9. How do the Marauders compare to Fred and George? Do you think that they, and especially James and Sirius, were worse or just as funny as the Weasley twins?

They are just like Fred and George - all of them in one way or another. Except with Snape and anyone else who tried to use dark curses against them - I imagine they were a little harder on them.

10. Did Deathly Hallows change your mind about the Marauders? Do you think that they were portrayed favourably or came out badly?

Well they came back in the reunion scene - young, happy, healthy and wise in the after-life. Who could ask for more? Not me. I thought they came out great.

11. Which Marauder do you like best and what are the traits that endear him to you? Did the other Marauders appreciate these traits?

Remus of course. He was kind, compassionate, friendly, trustworthy, cautious and a prankster as an adult, so I imagine he was more or less the same as a child/teen. He was likely hesitant in his friendship in ways with the Marauders at first prior to their finding out about his furry little problem (but not totally of course), but their total acceptance of him would be met with utter love in return, that is just how he was - not having many friends and such. Their close friendship likely opened the door to many more friendships as well. I think it was splendid that they offered him the chance to have a normal childhood (as much as possible) because due to the outlook of society, his childhood/teen years could have been lonely and miserable. He offered them things too which they also loved - and I think they appreciated all about Remus (only later his caution when they matured) and he appreciated ll of their traits as well. But in reality, Remus' caution didn't slow them down, just made them feel bad and apparently it didn't slow him down that much either. I am glad, he deserved to be happy because every month for a few days, he was miserable through no fault of his own. And mostly because ~ He was a Werewolf~ wicked!

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; August 26th, 2008 at 10:20 am.
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:13 pm
BANNED... No really they are...

[*]How did James' and Sirius' particularly close friendship influence Remus and Peter? Did they feel left out or inferior?

I don't think they felt left out per se. Maybe a little intimidated, but not particularly left out. I think Peter was in his own little worship-world to begin with to even notice the others' relationships. Feeling left out may have applied to Remus a bit, but even then, I don't think it affected him all that much.
[*]Why was Remus the main suspect in 1981? Did Peter have a walk-over to discredit Remus if he did so at all?

I think this goes back to discrimination. The fact that he is a part of an inferior group in the wizarding world makes him guilty in a way by default. The magical community's stereotypes of werewolves automatically gives him a strike. I'm not sure what it says about the people he hung out with because if that is the case, then his "friends" also had that particular prejudice. However, it just goes to show how much a particular opinion of someone who's different influences others.
[*]James, Sirius and Peter became Animagi for Remus. Was this noble or adventurous?

Personally, I think it was both. They saw in Remus something that most others wouldn't have just because he was a werewolf. Because they loved danger and adventure, they didn't mind the potential consequences that this sort of magic could inflict.
[*]What did the other Marauders think about James' obsession with Lily?

I never found his crush on her an obsession. I don't think the others did either. Could it have been? Maybe. However, I really think he fell in love and that caused him to show off and be arrogant as much as he could be for the girl he considered a potential mate. I find the fact that he wrote her initials while taking his OWLs a particularly sweet gesture, not an obsessive one.
[*]How did Lily influence the dynamics within the Marauders?

I think she brought a motherly and straight head influence. I think she was the one who brought them all back to earth and helped them mature.
[*]James chose Sirius as godfather. Were Remus and Peter understanding or hurt by this decision?

I'm sure they would have been. However, I think they knew, especially Remus, the type of relationship James and Sirius had; much like Hermione realizes the type of relationship Harry and Ron have.
[*]Was joining the Order a joint decision or was peer pressure involved? For instance, did James and Sirius lead the way and Remus and Peter follow?

That's a possibility, but I honestly think they were as much adventurous as the other two. Maybe not to the same extent, but almost as much.
[*]How do the Marauders compare to Fred and George? Do you think that they, and especially James and Sirius, were worse or just as funny as the Weasley twins?

I think they mirror each other. However, I think the twins were not as magically capable to do many of the things the Marauders did, but only because they didn't apply themselves and their abilities to do it. If they had, I think they could have been just as bad, if not worse, than the Marauders.
[*]Did Deathly Hallows change your mind about the Marauders? Do you think that they were portrayed favourably or came out badly?

It did not change my thoughts about the Marauders. I've loved them since I first read about them. I think they were portrayed the way they were meant to be portrayed.
[*]Which Marauder do you like best and what are the traits that endear him to you? Did the other Marauders appreciate these traits?

I like all the three loyal ones. They were all wonderful in their own ways. I didn't see much in Peter, not even when he felt remorse about what he had done to Harry.

ALL HAIL THE PIXIE QUEEN TINKIE!!
Mave, RN.
Winner of Happiest Hoggie Award (2011).
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:36 pm
Ordo Lebes

Ah, wonderful; my favourite characters, all in one thread.

How did James' and Sirius' particularly close friendship influence Remus and Peter? Did they feel left out or inferior?

I think Remus and Peter were both the kinds of people who were too thrilled to be included in the first place to really think about that. Peter would have just been happy enough to hang around with them. Remus would have been more understanding of the friendship between James and Sirius, understood that it was more like a brotherly relationship. He's very intuitive that way. So I don't think it was a big problem for either of them.

Why was Remus the main suspect in 1981? Did Peter have a walk-over to discredit Remus if he did so at all?

Well, he was the one Sirius suspected (we don't know what James thought), and Remus himself I think suspected Sirius. I think Sirius suspected Remus because he knew it wasn't himself or James, and never would have dreamed Peter to be skilled enough to be of use for Voldemort. Remus is very intelligent, and a wee bit mysterious in his own way (which I love), so I think that's where Sirius drew his conclusion from. And pretty much the same with Remus; he knew it couldn't be himself or James, and Peter didn't seem skilled enough for it, and so that left Sirius.

James, Sirius and Peter became Animagi for Remus. Was this noble or adventurous?

It was noble at first, and then a bit adventurous as well. It was done for a very noble reason, at least. They wanted to keep him company, and they had no idea what kind of fun would result from it. I think it meant the world to Remus that his friends were willing to do all this for him - something I think influenced him to become a bit more daring himself, and to let his friends do silly things while he was prefect...

What did the other Marauders think about James' obsession with Lily?

I wouldn't call it an obsession. I think it started out just like a normal school crush does. I think part of the appeal for James was that she kept turning him down - you know, you love what you can't have. But at some point it obviously grew into more than just a silly crush (I think it was adorable that he was doodling her initials on his exam paper, and embellishing it).

I think he kept his true feelings quiet from the other Marauders, like a lot of guys do (it's sometimes a pain talking to my male friends about this kind of stuff), though they obviously knew he fancied her quite a bit - Sirius mentioned how James always made a fool of himself around Lily, so I guess they noticed his emotions through his actions. I think they found it rather amusing, to be honest.

How did Lily influence the dynamics within the Marauders?

I think she influenced them as much as they influenced her. I think the relationship between Lily and James would have matured the Marauders even more so, especially because they got married and had a baby so young. So I guess she toned down the immaturity of it all. But I think they probably brought out her humour more (I mean, she did find them funny in SWM, in spite of herself).

James chose Sirius as godfather. Were Remus and Peter understanding or hurt by this decision?

Again, I think Peter would have just been happy to have been around for it all, and Remus would have really understood the friendship between James and Sirius, enough to know that it was blatantly obvious who would be godfather. And I really don't see Remus as the jealous type at all.

Peter betrayed his friends. Was he ever happy with this decision and do you think that his friends would be able to forgive him if they had the chance?

No, I don't think he was ever happy to do it, but he was a coward. I think, maybe deep down he felt some sort of triumph knowing he was outsmarting his friends who were always better than him, but I really don't think he was all that spiteful. He seemed kind of nervous and depressed about it all, actually.

It was said in the books that James would have forgiven him, eventually. I don't know if Sirius would have, though. Sirius lost practically everything in his life while still being around to suffer through it all, all thanks to Peter... and sometimes those scars just run too deep. Remus, I'm not all too sure - I mean, he lost a great deal because of Peter, too, but he seems much more forgiving than Sirius. I think he would have, over time, come to forgive him. Again, he strikes me as very intuitive, and probably recognized why Peter did it all, and he would have found pity for him somewhere.

Was joining the Order a joint decision or was peer pressure involved? For instance, did James and Sirius lead the way and Remus and Peter follow?

I think James, Sirius and Remus were willing to join the fight. Peter wasn't that brave at all, so I think he would have prefered to stick to the side lines and stay safe, but joined cause of his friends.

The Marauders had a very hostile relationship with Snape. Would this have been different if Snape had been sorted into Gryffindor? Did the Marauders antagonise other students that were into the Dark Arts as well or did they single out Snape from the start?

Well, for Snape to have been sorted into Gryffindor, he would have been quite a different person. He pretty much hated the house, so he got off on the wrong foot with James and Sirius. I think the dislike really originated in his being a Slytherin, but that was all prejudice; then when it came to him being interested in the Dark Arts, they just couldn't see eye-to-eye at all, and came to actually hate him.

I think it came to be very much like the Harry/Malfoy situation; there were, of course, other Slytherins that had dark tendencies, but the trio never really paid them much attention. It was really always Malfoy they hated.

How do the Marauders compare to Fred and George? Do you think that they, and especially James and Sirius, were worse or just as funny as the Weasley twins?

I think they were very much like the twins. Both the Marauders and Fred and George were very mischievous and made people laugh, but sometimes crossed the line a bit (the SS incident for the Marauders, or ganging up on Snape in SWM, and the twins shoving Montague in the Vanishing Cabinet, which was highly dangerous). And Fred and George have been compared to the Marauders in the books before, too. I think on the whole, they were pretty similar.

Did Deathly Hallows change your mind about the Marauders? Do you think that they were portrayed favourably or came out badly?

I've never thought badly about the Marauders. In the end, I loved them even more because of Deathly Hallows - the scene with the resurection stone was extremely touching. I think we know enough about what they did and how they were (even the brief times we saw James) to conclude that they were truly good people. They did stupid things as kids, but who hasn't? We can't judge them entirely on SWM, for example. I think it's far more important to look at how they ended up as adults - which, save for Peter, was very favourable in my opinion.

Which Marauder do you like best and what are the traits that endear him to you? Did the other Marauders appreciate these traits?

Ah, well, one needs only to look at my signature to know. Prongs is my favourite, and Padfoot and Moony are a very close second. The reason I like James the best probably has a lot to do with the fact that he's Harry's father. I'm very attached to my own parents, so I grew to love Lily and James as great parental figures as well. Then I really got to thinking about James as a kid, and I just fell in love with his character - even his flaws. He's witty, adventurous, loving, courageous, and talented... and I even love his immaturity. He reminds me of a couple of my best friends, so I suppose I would have gotten along well with him.

I think the other Marauders saw him for the noble person he was. He put so much effort into his friendships that it was clear he was the kind of person one would want to be friends with for a lifetime.

Okay, this post is long enough by now.

Believe me. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them.
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:56 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

How did James' and Sirius' particularly close friendship influence Remus and Peter? Did they feel left out or inferior?
It seems at times that Harry views it that way. When he is looking at the picture that he found in Sirius's bedroom and in SWM. I don't believe that it was so though. In a way I can see where at times Peter and Remus may have felt left out...especially Remus since he so often made himself an outcast. I think Remus may have felt inferior, but because of his "furry little problem". I don't think Peter felt inferior around James and Sirius...for him I think it would be the opposite. He felt inferior alone and not surrounded by powerful or cool people.

Why was Remus the main suspect in 1981? Did Peter have a walk-over to discredit Remus if he did so at all?
I have asked myself this many times as well. I think that, 1. Because Remus was a werewolf they may have thought he was persuaded by Voldy. and 2. I really think Sirius and James underestimated Peter. I don't think they thought he was capable of joining Voldy, so by process of elimination they thought of Remus.

Do we know if Remus was in the first Order? I can't remember right now. If not, then that could be another strike against him.

James, Sirius and Peter became Animagi for Remus. Was this noble or adventurous?
Both. They risked everything for their friend and I am sure they enjoyed doing it too.

"Obsession" might be too strong of a word here. I don't know if he was obsessed with Lily. I suppose they were okay with it. Didn't Jo say somewhere that Remus might have fallen for Lily if it wasn't that James liked her? Well, I try to get inside a "guys' mind for this and I am sure they were cool with it as long as she didn't hinder their fun.

By the way that both Lupin and Sirius speak of Lily, they were very fond of her. So I like to think that she allowed James so free time with the guys to maraud around. I see her as being kind of motherly to all of them. I can't really explain it, it is jut a feeling I get.

James chose Sirius as godfather. Were Remus and Peter understanding or hurt by this decision?
I'd like to think that Remus wasn't he was smart enough to know that they were best friends. Maybe James promised Remus he would be godfather of the next one
Peter...maybe was upset. It is hard to think of him pre-betrayal and think how he would feel about things when my view of him is so tainted.

Peter betrayed his friends. Was he ever happy with this decision and do you think that his friends would be able to forgive him if they had the chance?
I don't think he was ever happy with himself. In Lily's letter to Sirius she notes that Peter seemed down or depressed. He knew he had sold them out and that was probably the last time he would see them alive. I think he was a sad pathetic human being and I have a feeling he wasn't very proud of himself. Especially later in life.

I think both James and Remus would forgive him. I don't see Sirius as a very forgiving character...I love him (). But, I don't see him forgiving Peter. He was ready to kill him rather than give him a chance to redeem himself.

Was joining the Order a joint decision or was peer pressure involved? For instance, did James and Sirius lead the way and Remus and Peter follow?
OOO! I wrote a fan fic and in the last one it tells how they all joined the Order. I like to think the way I wrote it is the way it happened, at least for me and my mind. A very significant death leads is the final straw which leads them all to join. So, I believe it was a joint decision.

The Marauders had a very hostile relationship with Snape. Would this have been different if Snape had been sorted into Gryffindor? Did the Marauders antagonise other students that were into the Dark Arts as well or did they single out Snape from the start?
Ahh! It possibly would have been different. They may have been friends, but would James' and Snape's love for Lily have drove them apart eventually? I think so. I can see them playing tricks and pranks on other students but I feel like Snape was the brunt of most of them.

How do the Marauders compare to Fred and George? Do you think that they, and especially James and Sirius, were worse or just as funny as the Weasley twins?
I don't think they were as funny. I see James and Sirius as a little more arrogant than the Weasley twins. I see them doing things more to impress girls or Lily than random pratical jokes like Fred and George. But, I think the two pairs were very close in their devinat natures.

Did Deathly Hallows change your mind about the Marauders? Do you think that they were portrayed favourably or came out badly?
No DH did not change my opinion of the Marauders. I love that all over them minus the Rat showed up in the Forest. I love it. Together again. I think they were portrayed favourably.

Which Marauder do you like best and what are the traits that endear him to you? Did the other Marauders appreciate these traits?
Sirius. Let me count the ways.....
Okay, I don't want to do any character worship here () So I will leave the "good looking" comments for another thread.
But, I liked his honesty and his brashness. He said what he wanted without reserve. He was firecely loyal to his friends and firceley protective of his godson. His cool nature and his love for his friends. He stood up for what he believed in and he was brave beyond measure. He was willing to die (and did ) for a cause to end evil. That to me is beauty.
I think his friends did appreciate this. At least I like to think they did.

Last edited by LoveWeasleys; September 17th, 2007 at 11:59 pm.
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:17 am
Elvendork

An analysis on my favorite characters for the past six years!

I think they were all close as a group, but I don't think they were bothered by the closeness of James and Sirius. James and Sirius both have very powerful personalities, it makes sense why the two of them get along so well. Remus and Peter were happy to be in the group, but I don't think they had a problem with how James and Sirius were. Harry, Ron, Hermione end up having Ginny, Neville and Luna join their group later, but they all knew the trio were closer to each other than to the rest of them.

I think the reason why Remus was the suspect because they all knew how clever Remus was. The reason why Peter wasn't suspected was the same reason why Sirius wanted Peter to be SK. No one suspected Peter could be so clever to be that secretive. The only other person that could've been suspected was Remus, the much cleverer one and the one Voldemort would most likely want in his group of DEs.

I think it was a mixture of both. Once James, Sirius and Peter realized what Remus had to go through, I think they really wanted to help him out. Werewolf transformation is a horrible experience to go through especially when half the world fears werewolves. My assumption is that they were more concerned about Remus and later began to realize the adventure the experiences could offer them.

James, obsessed? Infatuated, yes. But I would never consider James obsessed.
Anyway, I think the group appreciated Lily a lot once they got into their seventh year. I think she was the sensible one (besides Remus) and could tell them when they were going too far.

I really don't think they were that surprised by the choice. Sirius was like a brother to James, so why wouldn't he choose Sirius as godfather? I don't think Remus would've wanted to take care of Harry. Not because Remus doesn't care but because of Remus's opinion of himself. In DH he doesn't want to be with his wife and son because he doesn't want to make them go through trouble because of him. Remus probably didn't want the same for his best friends' son either, I think!

I don't think he ever really was happy. He was pleased that he had protection and wouldn't die that easily, but happy? No....
I could imagine James being the first to forgiving Peter. According to Dumbledore, James would've done the same thing for Wormtail that Harry did. Remus and SIrius, on the other hand, were the ones ready to kill him. Remus probably would've come next in forgiving Peter. Sirius would probably be last, but who can blame the guy? He was imprisoned for the crimes that Peter committed for 12 years! Plus, with the dementors he didn't get one happy moment. Imagine what Sirius had to think/hear all those years. And being blamed for the death of his best friend.... Yeah, Sirius would be hte one who would take the longest to forgive Peter.

I really doubt there was much pressure involved. James, Sirius and Remus - as far as I can tell - detested the Dark Arts and would've wanted to be out there fighting the Death Eaters. If there was one who didn't have his heart truly in it, I think it was Peter. Peter was the follower of the group. Once he saw that his friends were joining, he probably joined too because of their choices.

Well, if Snape was in Gryffindor but continued to keep his fascination with the Dark Arts, he'd definitely have a problem with them, especially James. I wouldn't put it past the Marauders to hex other Dark Arts lovers, but Snape was the one I think they couldn't stand. The trio didn't like Draco at all even though there were a lot of other students who loved the Dark Arts in their house. Plus Snape was the one who was obsessed with catching them on their midnight excursions. Naturally they wouldn't like him because of that.

I think they were pretty equal. In OotP, Harry says Fred and George would do the same thing James and SIrius did to someone that "truly deserved it" like Draco. The only difference is that I think James and SIrius were much more dangerous in a way by dedicating several years to becoming unregistered animagi.

Did Deathly Hallows change your mind about the Marauders? Do you think
that they were portrayed favourably or came out badly?

Not at all. I still love all (and in Peter's case, dislike) the same as when I finished reading PoA. I think that the only one who was portrayed badly was Peter. However, with the others I think they were all shown flaws and strengths in their character.

I like the three loyal Marauders. I only liked Sirius and Remus for a while until OotP came out. Once OotP came out, I became a huge fan of James and I have been ever since.
I can't say I have a favorite, but I do admit I've always had a soft spot for James. Learning his flaws as a teenager made me appreciate him because I saw how human he was.

CoS and Pottermore sorted
You will never do anything in this world without courage.
It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.

- Aristotle

Specialises in awesome picspams.

Last edited by Beatifically; September 18th, 2007 at 12:22 am.
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:53 am
I want to believe

Though James and Sirius might have been like brothers within the foursome, I don't think it would have made Remus or Peter feel left out. Remus seems very nearly as close to them as they are to each other. But I do believe the relationship James and Sirius had with Peter was different than the one they had with Remus. For Peter, he was always looking up to them and standing in their shadows - it's been said he hero worshipped James (and probably Sirius too). So perhaps later on after they graduated from Hogwarts, Peter might have felt a bit inferior.

I've said in other threads that I believe Peter did have much to do with the distrust between the Marauders during that time. They likely didn't have the greatest communication set up, and I believe once Peter was enlisted as a DE he would have been trying to subtly turn any suspision away from himself and toward the other Marauders.

Both, I think, knowing them. It was a very noble thing to do because 1) it can go very wrong if you don't have proper training, and 2) it made Remus' transformations the best times in his life rather than something he absolutely dreaded. But it was also adventurous because of the danger involved and due to the idea of romping around the grounds in forms no one would recognize.

They probably accepted it as one of James' quirks. They may have been a little annoyed with it at times, and at others they may have tried to give him a hand in wooing her. But I also have to agree with MPHFAN that James's thing for Lily might not have been an obsession, but rather something that makes him behave in a less than respectable manner.

Once she became part of the group by marrying James, I'm sure she was the voice of reason that tempered them when they got too wild and mischievous. She was the motherly presence, being the only female.

Peter might have been hurt rather than understanding, but I can see Remus as being understanding. He likely would have wholeheartedly agreed, seeing as how he is very concerned about being around children due to his "furry little problem". But a part of him may have also been a bit sad and hurt, believing he could never fulfill a parent/guardian role in a child's life.

At one point, I'm sure Peter felt good in his decision to betray his friends. However, near the end of the story, I think he began to regret it. At that point, I think he was trying to convince himself that he'd done the right thing, and that he could live with his decision, but deep down, I think Peter was very unhappy. As for whether his friends could forgive him if they'd had the chance, I think it would depend on whether or not Peter was able to show true remorse for what he'd done. If he could do that, I think there's a chance his friends could forgive him.

I think he may have joined following James, Remus and Sirius' leads; either that or they discussed it and Peter agreed to follow the others' leads. I doubt the three of them would have pressured Peter into something where you really have to believe in what you're fighting against to join. Also, I'm sure Dumbledore wouldn't have wanted any members that were actively pressured to join, since they may not be too trustworthy when push came to shove.

It semed like they singled Snape out. Both Snape and James disliked each other at first sight, rather like Malfoy and Harry. I'm not sure things would have been different if Snape were sorted into Gryffindor, just as I'm sure things wouldn't have been too different if Harry had been sorted into Slytherin (as far as friendships go). People from the same house don't necessarily like each other, but it's true that they're usually less antagonistic than with people from different houses.

There are a lot of similarities, the only differences being that the Marauders were a foursome not made up of biological brothers. The Marauders did many things that Fred and George didn't, like create the Marauders Map and become Animagi, but I'm sure Fred and George did things the Marauders didn't. They were both equally funny and clever in their own ways I'm sure.

No, I feel the same way about them. They were not perfect, none of them, but they were human with human feelings. Each had their triumphs and downfalls (maybe except for Peter though - he remained a negative in my eyes).

I've always had a soft spot for Remus *points at username*. I love his intelligent, brave, caring, and non-confrontational personality. I love that he didn't treat Harry like a child and that he was always willing to listen to him and advise him. I also love his ability to teach, not only magic but also lessons in life. And finally, I find the dichotomy of man and werewolf very interesting, and how he was able to remain true to himself without turing into the things the werewolf represents (aka he didn't have Greyback's ideas).

That said, though I adore Remus, I also care deeply for Sirius. I admire both he and James for their bravery and loyalty, and I love that they cared so deeply for Harry. Though they may not always have made the right decisions, they did the best they could for Harry and for their friends. for both of them.

As for Peter, I'm still not too impressed with him despite his hesitation to kill Harry in DH. He still gets a in my book.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 18th, 2007, 4:18 am
Second Year

I think Wormtail felt inferior, because let's face it, he was. He looked at James and Sirius the way he would look at gods. I don't think Remus was too affected by how close James and Sirius was: I think he was so grateful to have friends who accepted him and became Animagi for him he didn't mind that those two were a big closer.

I think like many have said, I think they thought Wormtail was too weak for them consider vulnerable to LV. And unfortunately I think Sirius and James were so close they would never suspect each other. Maybe Remus and them were out of contact with each other?

I think it was a bit of both. It was very kind of them to go through so much trouble for their friend. But I think they liked the adventure. In Snape's worst memory, we hear Sirius say, "wish it were a full moon tonight" and Remus replied, "you might." I think that kinda sums up the marauders attitude towards it.

I think they thought it was funny. It seemed to be the one thing that got James shook up-he was usually popular and cool so I thing they would find it amusing whenever he was around Lily.

I'm not sure...maybe Lily helped the group become more logical? To me, she seemed a bit like Remus in that she was adventurous and funny, but also kinder and more grounded.

I think they understood this, I don't think that would surprise them.

Honestly, I don't think Remus or especially Sirius could ever forgive him for this. Peter caused the death of James, which was like their brother-and I don't think either of them could have gotten past that fact. Plus Peter made Sirius go to Azkaban, he basically left him in hell. As for Peter's decision, I don't think he was happy about what he did, but he was one who always thought about himself before others. He might have been conflicted, but he would have gotten through whatever pain by convincing himself he had no other choice.

I think for James, Sirius, and Lupin it was a joint decision. For Peter, I think it was peer pressure.

9. The Marauders had a very hostile relationship with Snape. Would this have been different if Snape had been sorted into Gryffindor? Did the Marauders antagonise other students that were into the Dark Arts as well or did they single out Snape from the start?
I think Snape was singled out from the beginning. I think it would have helped a little if he would have been sorted into Gryffindor, but since him and James were both in love with the same woman they would always be insulting each other because of that.

10. How do the Marauders compare to Fred and George? Do you think that they, and especially James and Sirius, were worse or just as funny as the Weasley twins?
Let's see-both were awesome! I think the Marauders were a bit more mean in their jokes (and by that I mean James, Sirius, and Peter). I think Fred and George's jokes were a bit more innocent. But I think they would have gotten along really well with the Marauders if they went to Hogwarts at the same time.
11. Did Deathly Hallows change your mind about the Marauders? Do you think that they were portrayed favourably or came out badly?
My opinion didn't change too much about the Marauders, but I admit my opinion of James did change a bit. It made me see that his unkindness towards Snape was mainly because of Lily. You could see he became a good man, but since I kinda became a Snape/Lily fan after DH it made me dislike James a little. I know, it's not really fair, but what are u gonna do?

12. Which Marauder do you like best and what are the traits that endear him to you? Did the other Marauders appreciate these traits?
Remus was my favorite Marauder- I love him! I liked that he was fun and adventurous, but at the same time smart, extremely kind, selfless and loyal. The Marauders did appreciate a lot of those traits in Remus, except that some times he might have disapproved of some of James and Sirius's plans.

"Prison Mike, what is the very worst thing about prison?"

"The worst thing about prison was...the DEMENTORS!...they were... flyin all over the place and they were scary and they suck the soul out of your body and it hoirts!"

I The Office
Old September 19th, 2007, 4:56 am
First Year

I think the friendship helped Remus open up to people more. Peter was probably happy to be accepted by them. I think that one or more of the Marauders felt left out at one point but move passed that.

No idea.

I think it was noble, since they didn't really know how it would have turned out.

Probably thought it was just some crush blown way out of proportion

Don't really see Lily affecting the Marauders, except James, much.

I think they were understanding, they knew that James was closest with Sirius and didn't mind.

I don't think he was ever happy, Peter was pretty much bullied into working for Voldemort and wasn't brave enough to do anything about it. I think they would have forgiven Peter, after all, they spent seven years with him, they knew him the best and probably would have forgiven him

I think James, Sirius, and Remus wanted to join and Peter joined after all his friends did.

I don't think it would have been different had he been put in Gryffindor, they would probably just wonder why a Dark Arts obsessed kid was in Gryffindor and been more hostile. Probably bullied other kids into the Dark Arts, but Snape was their favorite victim.

I think that James and Sirius were just about the same as Fred and George, if not a little more reckless. Remus and Peter don't really compare to Fred and George.

I liked them before, during, and after DH. I think they were portrayed fairly and that some people just don't see past Snape's memories of them.

Thats a hard one, but if I had to choose, it would probably be Sirius. He was a good person who was a bit reckless, he was also extremely loyal, and in short: an ideal friend.(not saying James and Remus aren't)

Old September 19th, 2007, 12:10 pm
Seventh Year

I don't think Remus felt left out... He knew that Sirius and James were inseparable and they were a team. I think he was just happy to be a part of their group

Peter reminds me of Iago from Othello... He probably just planted seeds of doubts between friends and let everything fall apart..

I think it was extraordinarily noble... They could have just become animagi just for the heck of it but they didn't... They did for their friend. Plus in SWM we see Sirius complaining that it was not full moon. Even though he and James could have very easily transformed any day of the week, they always waited for Remus to transform as well. That is incredibly sweet and noble...

Sirius probably didn't understand James' "affection" towards Lily... Um... I don't think his crush can be characterized as "obsession".. We only see him asking her out in one scene... Remus probably understood it a bit better... I refuse to comment much upon that rat's opinion.

I think Lily softened them up a little... I can see her reprimanding Sirius and James for doing something stupid... I can see her being their conscience...

Um... Remus knew that Sirius and James were inseparable... I don't think he would have expected anything different....

Why should Peter even be forgiven???? I wouldn't forgive... He wasn't even remorseful about what he did...

James and Sirius and Remus probably joined to fight against evil. But I don't think Peter wanted to join even for second. He joined because his protectors/friends were joining... That slimy git

9. The Marauders had a very hostile relationship with Snape. Would this have been different if Snape had been sorted into Gryffindor? Did the Marauders antagonize other students that were into the Dark Arts as well or did they single out Snape from the start?

Looks like they singled out Snape but I am sure that they were against anyone who had an inkling towards Dark magic.

They are a lot like the Weasley twins... James and Sirius are equals (therefore their relationship is a lot different from Ron and Harry's friendship) and are inseparable. I see them doing light magic for the amusement of their classmates. Of course sonce they even sored great grades, they were probably conceited about that as well... And it is not like Fred and George never performed magic on their fellow classmates. Plus they pushed Montague into the vanishing cabinet which in my opinion was much worse than what Sirius and James did to Snape In fact I would say that they were probably funnier and more dangerous than Fred and George...

I LOVED them after the deathly hallow came out... I loved that one scene where we see Sirius and James talking to each other and making fun of the way Lily spoke... It reminded me a lot of how Ron behaved towards Hermione in the first journey to Hogwarts! I loved their equation... They were best friends from the very start. Also after seeing Sirius' room, I must say that he is my new hero You have to love a man who has posters of bikini clad MUGGLE girls in his room... Could he get more cooler?????

12. Which Marauder do you like best and what are the traits that endear him to you?

SIRIUS BLACK!!!!!! I love Sirius Black to death. His death was the only death that truly affected me... He is extremely loyal and generous and straightforward. He was also a risk taker and a restless man who was always doing something. He had such a force of character and I must say he stole every scene he was in... He was the kind of guy who take a bullet for his best friend and die saving the ones he loved and that is exactly what he did... How can one not love him???? Also *cough he was sexy *cough... After Sirius I love James.. I think he the most awesome dad and friend...

Did the other Marauders appreciate these traits?
Again he was a brilliant and talented man who happens to be the only person to have ever escaped Azkaban.... I am sure his skill were very very appreciated by his friends!

The best-looking, most rebellious, most dangerous of the four marauders...

Last edited by padfootrules; September 19th, 2007 at 12:19 pm.
Old September 19th, 2007, 3:52 pm
Fifth Year

I think Peter may have felt like that most of the time.As for Remus I think he's always under appreciated himself,he probably thought he didn't deserve to have friends and therefore never considered whether he was being denied anything.He might have,James and Sirius were obviously close.

I always believed it was a process of elimination.Neither Remus or Sirius thought Peter was capable hence they suspected each other.

Both I suppose.They wanted to help,being animagus seemed a good solution,but I'm sure the possibility for adventures didn't go over-looked,they would have found it appealing.

Not sure.

Not much probably.

I don't think the god-father issue bothered him much,but I think by this time Remus would have felt slightly left out.Sirius was best man,he was god -father,late the secret keeper.Sirius was obviously more important in James eyes,but again I doubt Remus made too much of it,again just being thankful that he was accepted at all.

Peter decisions to me had always come out of cowardice,He was selfish IMO.there's really so little real character development on his part.He ends as he starts off,even towards the end I fail to see why he was in Gryffindor ,or see any of his virtues(were there any?).I don't know if they could forgive him,he caused everyone so much pain.Who knows.

No ,I think they all wanted to fight(except peter).All had personal reasons,but they were good people,they did what was right.

It would have been ,but what they're relationship would have been I cannot guess.I'm sure they had a problem with all Slytherin 's,but I think they singled him out,mainly James because of Snapes friendship with Lily.Sirius obviously wouldn't have a problem with it either.

They have similarities,but Fred and George never gave the impression(to me at least),that they thought they were better then others.I'd say they were worse,there's a certain amount of arrogance and unkindness in their behaviour.

Nothing changed really,we didn't get much more information about them except the train scene,which if I had to say,would indicate that James and Sirius were the main instigators,but even that is not enough for canon.There's too little information to say anything definite,but overall my opinion of them remains the same.

Remus,with out a doubt.He's a good honest person who's exceptionally kind and humble.He continuously struggles to do whats right and make a good example of himself,treating everyone equally.
I think they would have later in their lives more then in their youth.Remus traits are ones that are not so valued by young people.Though James and Sirius were good friends with Remus I don't think he was in the same league as them.It always seems to be 'James and Sirius',the best at everything they did,no mention of Remus,it was a two way mirror,Sirius was best man,he was God father,he was the secret keeper,Remus seems to be left out.They were good friends not doubt,but Remus I sadly feel,was a little less important.

Old September 19th, 2007, 6:05 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifink2much View Post
They have similarities,but Fred and George never gave the impression(to me at least),that they thought they were better then others.I'd say they were worse,there's a certain amount of arrogance and unkindness in their behavior.
Hm.... They were stupid birks as teenagers but as men we have more than enough canon to support that they were kind men... Dumbledore himself said that James would have forgiven Peter... and Sirius was a kind man in general. He was protecting crookshanks in the third book remember??? He was ready to die but he would not let a cat take the fall... Plus he was kind to Harry and Buckbeak. In the third book he almost risked getting caught because he was worried about Ron...a boy he had just met. Plus like I have mentioned before Fred and George were no saints. They pushed a fellow student into the vanishing cabinet and he went missing for several days. Montague came back disoriented and almost dead and they did not show any remorse... So yeah I would say James and Sirius were a lot like Fred and George except they were much better! They did everything the twins did and on top of that they accomplished becoming animagi (a feat accomplished by only seven others in the century) and they were good looking and they got great grades... I would be amazed if they weren't arrogant. They grew out of it. Also I refuse to judge them solely on how they treated Snape... that is like judging Harry, based only on his behavior towards Draco...

Old September 19th, 2007, 6:19 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by padfootrules View Post
They did everything the twins did and on top of that they accomplished becoming animagi (a feat accomplished by only seven others in the century) and they were good looking and they got great grades... I would be amazed if they weren't arrogant. They grew out of it. Also I refuse to judge them solely on how they treated Snape... that is like judging Harry, based only on his behavior towards Draco...
Draco ,IMO started it,if he hadn't then I doubt Harry would have been that concerned with him. I'm sure becoming an animigus wasn't that hard,they were clever ,so are many ppl,as for looks I really don't understand how that makes a person better then another,I don't see these thing entitle someone to arrogance,anyway it's just my opinion.

Old September 19th, 2007, 6:41 pm
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Draco ,IMO started it,if he hadn't then I doubt Harry would have been that concerned with him. I'm sure becoming an animigus wasn't that hard,they were clever ,so are many ppl,as for looks I really don't understand how that makes a person better then another,I don't see these thing entitle someone to arrogance,anyway it's just my opinion.
The book says that becoming an Animagi is quite difficult magic during which many things can go wrong, that is why someone at the Ministry generally oversees the process. It took them 3 years to figure out and DD declared that he thought it had been an extraordinary achievement (POA). So I would have to respectfully disagree that it was not difficult to accomplish. It was also quite time consuing.

Old September 19th, 2007, 6:44 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
I never said that good looking people are better than others. But if you are fifteen and every girl is fawning over you and you have accomplished what most adults don't in a lifetime... You tend to get carried away. Again we have canon to believe that James and Sirius were not unkind but simply teenage idiots... As adults we see them as caring individuals. We see James dying for his family... we see Sirius risking getting caught because he was worried about a boy he had just met (Ron in POA). We also see Sirius eating rats to be close to Harry. That doesn't strike me as unkind...
Also becoming an animagus is very hard... only seven people have accomplished it in this century. If becoming an animagus was so easy then every witch and wizard would be one. We know that brewing the polyjuice potion is extraordinarily difficult... the science of animagi must be a million times harder than that.
Hm.. Draco and Harry loathed each other from the moment they met... If my memory serves me right Draco only had a problem with Ron making fun of his name. Draco was extending his hand in friendship towards Harry.

Old September 19th, 2007, 6:46 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
The book says that becoming an Animagi is quite difficult magic during which many things can go wrong, that is why someone at the Ministry generally oversees the process. It took them 3 years to figure out and DD declared that he thought it had been an extraordinary achievement (POA). So I would have to respectfully disagree that it was not difficult to accomplish. It was also quite time consuing.
Not difficult as in not impossible.I think Hermione could have done it.Maybe even Harry,he was able to learn a corporal patronus in his third year which later people find impressive,my point being I'm sure there were others who could have done it,provided they put in the work.

Quote:
I never said that good looking people are better than others.
Sorry you said they were better then others then said they were good looking,I thought that was what you were implying.

Quote:
only seven people have accomplished it in this century
Only seven people registered.there could have been a number of unregistered animigi around,such a Rita skeeter.

Quote:
Hm.. Draco and Harry loathed each other from the moment they met... If my memory serves me right Draco only had a problem with Ron making fun of his name. Draco was extending his hand in friendship towards Harry.
And Draco spent the rest of the year putting them down whenever he got the chance.I think if he hadn't that wouldn't have been bothered with him.
As I said ,what I said is just my opinion,don't take it personally.

Last edited by Ifink2much; September 19th, 2007 at 6:58 pm.
Old September 19th, 2007, 6:55 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Not difficult as in not impossible.I think Hermione could have done it.Maybe even Harry,he was able to learn a corporal patronus in his third year which later people find impressive,my point being I'm sure there were others who could have done it,provided they put in the work.
I am sorry but I am almost definitely sure that whilst Hermione could have done it with rigorous studying... she would not have been able to do it whilst also concentrating on her studies and have some fun in the process. Also I don't think any of the trio was capable of becoming animagi as teenagers. Their power would have most definitely improved as they grew up. Sirius and James did as fifteen year olds! Plus they helped Peter as well. If every clever witch or wizard could have done it... then we would have people like Shacklebolt, Arthur becoming animagi as well. The only other person who became an animagi that we know of was Mcgonnagal and she was the teacher of that subject!
Also Hermione could not even handle the time turner... I think Hermione is a brilliant witch but she lacked vision and creativity... She even refused to follow the instructions of the potions book in the sixth book because it wasn't "official"

Last edited by padfootrules; September 19th, 2007 at 6:59 pm.
Old September 19th, 2007, 6:59 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
I am sorry but I am almost definitely sure that whilst Hermione could have done it with rigorous studying... she would not have been able to do it whilst also concentrating on her studies and have some fun in the process. Also I don't think any of the trio was capable of becoming animagi as teenagers.
I think Hermione definitely could have,she did the DA coins while studying and arranging a secret army.She does seem to do an awful lot,she could have managed.Maybe even Harry could have.But like I've said,it's just my opnion.

Quote:
I think Hermione is a brilliant witch but she lacked vision and creativity
She did an amazing amount of creative magic in DH,she saved them countless times.But we're getting off topic now.

Last edited by Ifink2much; September 19th, 2007 at 7:04 pm.
Old September 19th, 2007, 7:06 pm
Seventh Year

I respect your opinion... You are probably right Anyway this thread is about the marauders. They did do the impossible for a bunch of teenagers and they did it for their friend. We know from canon that they were good at everything. So you take Hermione's brains and put it on these two guys who were also the height of cool... you get Sirius and James.... Also I would like to point out that Mcgonnagal called them "exceptionally bright"... coming from Mcgonnagal it probably means that they were genius's...

Old September 19th, 2007, 7:14 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
coming from Mcgonnagal it probably means that they were genius's...
I wouldn't use the word genius's.What she said was in private among other teachers,we don't know what she said about other people.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References