Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Questions about Animagi v. 2

Old August 5th, 2009, 7:42 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Animagus/Patronus, not the same?

Somehow I'd gotten the idea that you couldn't chose your animagus form. I checked the Lexicon just now and it doesn't say anything about it in the text, just this quote from an interview with Jo:

Q: If you were an Animagus, what kind of animal would you be?

A: I'd like to be an otter - that's my favourite animal. It would be depressing if I turned out to be a slug or something.
- JKR on Animagi (Sch2)

Make of it what you will!! It's probably worth noting that Hermione's patronus is an otter.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2009, 8:54 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuackAttack View Post
I believe McGonagall's Patronus and Animagus form were both a cat, though. I don't know if that is just a coincidence or not. If it isn't a coincidence, I don't know that we can assume the other Anamagi have a Patronus that matches their form, however.

That is also a good point you bring up about Snape, though. I would think his potential Animagus form would be different as they are different genders.
Perhaps McGonagall's Patronus being a cat implies a great amount of self-confidence. She doesn't need to draw comfort from somthing else, as she believes in herself.

As for Snape, I don't believe that he could ever be a doe Animagus. First of all, they are far too gentle and sweet in nature, second of all they are all female so that seems to rule them out. I think that his animagus form would be a creepy but non poisonous spider. The kind that gets rid of other types of household pests. They are scary, and creepy, and most people dislike them, but they are not really dangerous, and in fact are very good things to have around. Seems to fit Snape to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanduhrae View Post
I'm kind of confused as to what your animagus form actually is, because I never thought that the animal was from your inner self; I thought they got to choose. Rita Skeeter was a beetle, not because it reflected who she was, but because she wanted to spy on people. Why would she put a bunch of effort into becoming an animagus if she had the chance of becoming a large creature, like an elephant? Also, in Quidditch Through the Ages, it mentions that people can choose to be an animagus and turn into a bat or a bird, so I thought the animal was a choice.

I agree with you that a patronus has to do with the animal that comforts you, but I think it can also be something that has a big meaning to you.
Jo has specifically said that your animagus form reflects your inner self. Rita is a beetle because she is sneaky and creepy. It suits her. As for why she became an animagus despite not being assured that she would be anything useful, well perhaps there is a way to predict what you will be beforehand, perhaps she just wanted to be an animagus and realized later that she could use her form to spy on people, or perhaps she just figured that because she is a sneak, her form would likely be somthing that just as sneaky.

Old August 5th, 2009, 9:04 pm
First Year

I agree with most people here, but don't you think Ron's, Hermione's, Luna's etc seems to reflect their personality more than what they think would protect/comfort them? I mean, I can't really imagine a terrier bringing relief to Ron.

------------------------------------------------

so. I kind of really love harry potter.

Old August 5th, 2009, 9:30 pm
First Year

Perhaps a patronus reflects a part of yourself that you feel especially happy with, and comfortable/safe with. Feelings and family would be a aprt of yourself as well, which would account for Harry's stag, Snape's doe and Tonks' wolf. Perhaps it's similar with an animagus, but instead of comfort and safety, it reflects usefulness, or maybe just the most dominant trait in someone.

Old August 5th, 2009, 11:09 pm
First Year

Harry's patronus would be different from his animagus form. Though his patronus takes up the form of his father's animagus, he doesn't have his father's personality so his animagus form cannot be a stag. His patronus only takes on the form of his father because his father is one of his loved ones.

GRYFFINDOR!
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:30 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluorescentQ View Post
I agree with most people here, but don't you think Ron's, Hermione's, Luna's etc seems to reflect their personality more than what they think would protect/comfort them? I mean, I can't really imagine a terrier bringing relief to Ron.
Perhaps Luna's represents her departed mother? Even if her mother was not an Animagus, the hare might be the best representation for her in animal form.

Otters are carefree and funloving (or at least they are usually seen as such), so it might represent the kind of existance that her deepest heart of hearts longs for. This could also be a connection to Ron and why she loves him.

Ron's terrier might be representitive of his whole family, which is where he draws his comfort from. If I had to chose a single animal to define the entire Weasley family, a Jack Russel Terrier might come to mind. Certainly not a weasel Especially Mr. Weasley and perhaps Fred and George. I see Ron himself as being a dog, but a different type of dog, like a golden retriever.

Old August 6th, 2009, 12:46 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupe & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalfoyTavington View Post
Perhaps a patronus reflects a part of yourself that you feel especially happy with, and comfortable/safe with. Feelings and family would be a aprt of yourself as well, which would account for Harry's stag, Snape's doe and Tonks' wolf. Perhaps it's similar with an animagus, but instead of comfort and safety, it reflects usefulness, or maybe just the most dominant trait in someone.
That makes sense. Why pick something that doesn't make you feel happy and what not... for a patronus. And the same thing with an animagus... why pick something that wouldn't make you feel safe...

They wouldn't be that useful spellwise if it worked that way... in the reverse .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old August 6th, 2009, 1:22 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
That makes sense. Why pick something that doesn't make you feel happy and what not... for a patronus. And the same thing with an animagus... why pick something that wouldn't make you feel safe...

They wouldn't be that useful spellwise if it worked that way... in the reverse .
Although that would be practical, you seem to be under one misconception. The one thing that we do know about Patronuses and Animagus forms is that you do not get to chose. So there is no point in "picking" somthing, as you don't know what you will get.

The point is that your animagus form is supposedly predetermined by your inner self, what your foundations as a person are.

Old August 6th, 2009, 1:24 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupe & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsDisciple View Post
Although that would be practical, you seem to be under one misconception. The one thing that we do know about Patronuses and Animagus forms is that you do not get to chose. So there is no point in "picking" somthing, as you don't know what you will get.

The point is that your animagus form is supposedly predetermined by your inner self, what your foundations as a person are.
Ah. So it's all up to chance then. Definitely interesting there. So I guess it's based on how you're raised and all that...

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old August 6th, 2009, 1:43 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
Ah. So it's all up to chance then. Definitely interesting there. So I guess it's based on how you're raised and all that...
Actually I think that it is more your foundations that you are born with. Some people will argue that babies are blank slates, but I believe that everyone is born with some underlying foundations, which are then molded by your upbringing. I think that it is these specific foundations, rather then how they are molded, that effects your animagus form. So it would be predetermined on the day of your birth. You might disagree, but that is what I think.

P.S. Nice Hawkeye and Trapper pic in your sig. I love M.A.S.H.

Last edited by LionsDisciple; August 6th, 2009 at 3:46 pm.
Old August 6th, 2009, 3:21 pm
First Year

Yes yes YES! I get it now! Hermione's otter isn't really an otter! It's a weasal, because she loves Ron!
Sorry about that little outburst....

-lilmisshogwarts Proud to be a Gryffindor

Last edited by lilmisshogwarts; August 6th, 2009 at 10:26 pm.
Old August 6th, 2009, 3:41 pm
Second Year

If a patronis represents something of comfort why then would Remus's be a full moon, that certainly didn't bring him comfort!

Old August 6th, 2009, 3:45 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrscole View Post
If a patronis represents something of comfort why then would Remus's be a full moon, that certainly didn't bring him comfort!
That was his Boggart, not patronus. A Boggart is a potentially dangerous magical creature which transforms into whatever you fear most. A Patronus is very much different

Old August 6th, 2009, 4:05 pm
First Year

"Ottery St. Catchpole is located in Devon, along the Otter River. Other towns along this river include Ottery St. Mary and Otterton. The town is relatively small. The Burrow is located near the village to the south" [source]

I had always assumed that Hermione's patronus was just a reference to the Weasleys, because of the burrow being near Ottery St. Catchpole and otters being a part of the Weasel family.

What I really want to know is what Tom Riddle's Patronus would have been.

Old August 6th, 2009, 4:23 pm
First Year

I suspect Luna's is a hare because LUNA has connotations to the moon and Hares have often been reported staring at full moons and are said to be creatures of the moon, or servants of the moon goddess...Diana I think. Also, according to some myths, staring at a full moon can make you go 'loony' (so called because of la lune, french for moon). So, I think her Hare fits her spot on as she is often refferred to as Loony Lovegood.

Old August 6th, 2009, 4:28 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheric View Post
What I really want to know is what Tom Riddle's Patronus would have been.
Almost certainly somthing that represents himself, although I doubt that he could conjure a patronus just because of how anti-him they are. If he could conjure one up, then it woulld likely be a serpent of some sort, perhaps even a Basilisk as they are the King of Serpents (and he thinks of himself as a ruler). I normally would say that magical creatures should be discounted, but if Dumbledore could create a Phoenix one (I wonder what that represents ), then they are possible and you cannot deny that Voldemort is certainly special enough to have a special patronus (again, that is assuming that he could create one).

Old August 6th, 2009, 4:34 pm
Second Year

Actually I'm still of the opinion that you get to choose your Animagus form.
Why would James, Sirius and Pettigrew put in so much effort to try and become one if there was a good chance that they might end up becoming some small animal that can be attacked by a werewolf or a very large animal that can not go unnoticed in the school grounds. Their Animagus forms were perfect for them. James and Sirius could keep control on Lupin on full moon nights and Pettigrew's small form was useful to freeze the Whomping Willow. Don't you think it ia too much of a coincidence and a matter of great convenience that their forms were exactly what they'd have like to be? I feel they could choose...

Old August 6th, 2009, 4:38 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googlie View Post
Why would James, Sirius and Pettigrew put in so much effort to try and become one if there was a good chance that they might end up becoming some small animal that can be attacked by a werewolf or a very large animal that can not go unnoticed in the school grounds. Their Animagus forms were perfect for them. James and Sirius could keep control on Lupin on full moon nights and Pettigrew's small form was useful to freeze the Whomping Willow. Don't you think it ia too much of a coincidence and a matter of great convenience that their forms were exactly what they'd have like to be? I feel they could choose...
I agree with you. I think you can choose to a certain extent, but I think as well that your personal traits effect it too. Sirius was very loyal and energetic - hense he becomes a dog (big enough to control Moony) & James was very proud and (i think) magestic - so he became a Stag (also helpful to control Moony) aaaand, Peter turns out to be a sneaky traitor, a rat?

I completely agree with what you say, since their animagus forms were so helpful for the purpose, but i also think there is a lot of their personality shown in their animagus forms too!

Old August 6th, 2009, 4:39 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googlie View Post
Would a Stag really be your first choice for being an animal that could fight off a werewolf? It works I suppose but I would think that a tiger or bear would be a preferable choice. No I think that they just got the luck of the draw. See it seems to me that your animagus form reflects your inner self, and whatever you chose to do with your life ALSO has some reflection on why you are, so there is really a marginally good chance that whatever you are is going to be somthing that can help you in life.

Besides that, JKR also stated that your animagus is indeed a reflection of your inner self. Can't argue with her right

Old August 6th, 2009, 6:52 pm
Suteki da ne

I think that basically, an Animagus form relates to a person's personality, whereas their patronus may represent something they hold dear.

If you change your mind
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak