Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Survivor Philippines



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old August 18th, 2012, 11:18 pm
twinsrule26's Avatar
twinsrule26  Male.gif twinsrule26 is offline
Assistant to Minister Longbottom
 
Joined: 5072 days
Location: In an Island Paradise
Age: 59
Posts: 1,989
Survivor Philippines

HERE WE GO AGAIN.

Survivor Philippines starts on Sept.19 ,2012 .

There will be three tribes of 6 players .Each will be led by a returning player who was airlifted out of an earlier season with injuries.

Here is a link to some more info.

www.survivorfever.net


I look forward to seeing all the old timers and lots of new poster in here soon.


__________________
YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT THAT
SOME DAYS YOU'RE THE PIGEON!
AND SOME DAYS
YOU'RE THE STATUE!



Sorted
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old August 19th, 2012, 5:27 am
baseballblondie's Avatar
baseballblondie  Female.gif baseballblondie is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4751 days
Location: between the pages of a book
Age: 41
Posts: 489
Re: Survivor Philippines

Looks interesting. The returning players, I'm not sure I remember.

Two of the others I recognize from their "fame". Though on one of them,
Spoiler: show
Jeff Kent,
I was like - Oh!
Spoiler: show
and then I remembered watching him play for my Astros during the short stint of Craig Biggio being sent to the outfield.


__________________
~Forever~
Dawn

Member of the Insane Becky Posse (IBP) and the Gator Fan Club

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old August 20th, 2012, 4:24 pm
Spacecadet's Avatar
Spacecadet  Female.gif Spacecadet is offline
Rocket Scientist
 
Joined: 3766 days
Location: Lost in Space
Posts: 2,242
Re: Survivor Philippines

does this mean we might see colton again?

This certainly sounds interesting. I wonder how they will go from three tribes if they will go down to two then to one or what.


__________________
Proud member of both the G houses, Gryffindor and The House of Gator


*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old August 20th, 2012, 11:36 pm
twinsrule26's Avatar
twinsrule26  Male.gif twinsrule26 is offline
Assistant to Minister Longbottom
 
Joined: 5072 days
Location: In an Island Paradise
Age: 59
Posts: 1,989
Re: Survivor Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
does this mean we might see colton again?

This certainly sounds interesting. I wonder how they will go from three tribes if they will go down to two then to one or what.
From the info I saw on that site it looks like Colton is NOT coming back.

I looks like the three will be Johnathan Penner, Russell Swan , and the guy who got badly burned in Australia ,Michael Skupin.


__________________
YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT THAT
SOME DAYS YOU'RE THE PIGEON!
AND SOME DAYS
YOU'RE THE STATUE!



Sorted

Last edited by twinsrule26; August 22nd, 2012 at 11:22 pm. Reason: Getting the names right.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old August 24th, 2012, 3:17 am
SusanBones's Avatar
SusanBones  Female.gif SusanBones is offline
Inconceivable!
 
Joined: 5128 days
Location: in a galaxy far, far away
Posts: 4,090
Re: Survivor Philippines

I'm glad that Colton is not returning in this episode. When they announced that there would be three former cast members returning who had been medically evacuated, I thought for sure that he would be one of them. Maybe his nastiness was just too much for CBS.

I remember Jonathan Penner and I'm not sure that I liked him.


__________________


avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson

Last edited by SusanBones; August 24th, 2012 at 3:19 am.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old September 1st, 2012, 3:02 am
decarus  Female.gif decarus is offline
Registered Animagus
 
Joined: 3716 days
Location: Averalaan
Posts: 4,149
Re: Survivor Philippines

There isn't going to be Colton? Thank goodness. His foul mind about ruined the season for me, but then Kim was just so awesome. One of the best players to ever play the game, in my opinion. I have never seen a player have that many people convinced, truly convinced, that she was going to take them to the final three. I think she had nine people convinced that she was taking them to the final three. I mean that is like epic play. Usually it is just that they believe that one choice is better then another and there is an alliance of five and everyone is playing everyone else, but with Kim she was just calling the shots all the way and everyone just believed her. Great game.

I am glad they are bring that Russell. I always felt bad for the guy because you could tell he wanted to be there so badly, he just didn't take care of himself. Didn't drink enough water. It was such a silly mistake to get out on. And he was playing well until then. I think it will be harder a second time around.


Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old September 2nd, 2012, 10:33 pm
twinsrule26's Avatar
twinsrule26  Male.gif twinsrule26 is offline
Assistant to Minister Longbottom
 
Joined: 5072 days
Location: In an Island Paradise
Age: 59
Posts: 1,989
Re: Survivor Philippines

Hi Decarus , I have to agree with you not drinking enough water is such a dumb way to hurt yourself ,it nearly cost him his life .Drinking water is such an easy thing to do
you'd think every player would automatically know that you need to drink lots of water .

I wonder if the fellow who got burned is going to have visible scars ? I know its been ten years but call me squeamish I really don't want to see scar tissue .


__________________
YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT THAT
SOME DAYS YOU'RE THE PIGEON!
AND SOME DAYS
YOU'RE THE STATUE!



Sorted
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old September 3rd, 2012, 4:20 am
decarus  Female.gif decarus is offline
Registered Animagus
 
Joined: 3716 days
Location: Averalaan
Posts: 4,149
Re: Survivor Philippines

Right? I mean the guy like almost stopped breathing and passed out because he didn't drink water. I mean i really felt bad for the guy and he was the first one i thought of when they said they were bring back people because i think he deserves another chance, but going out because you don't drink enough water seems crazy. You think the camera people would be on that. Make sure you drink water. Like the medical people, whoever is there. Though it was pretty scary when he passed out and was like dangling from that little table game. Scary.


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old September 18th, 2012, 10:49 am
twinsrule26's Avatar
twinsrule26  Male.gif twinsrule26 is offline
Assistant to Minister Longbottom
 
Joined: 5072 days
Location: In an Island Paradise
Age: 59
Posts: 1,989
Re: Survivor Philippines

Just two more days and the fun begins !


__________________
YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT THAT
SOME DAYS YOU'RE THE PIGEON!
AND SOME DAYS
YOU'RE THE STATUE!



Sorted
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old September 18th, 2012, 4:49 pm
merry18's Avatar
merry18  Female.gif merry18 is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4894 days
Location: In front of the computer
Age: 28
Posts: 943
Re: Survivor Philippines

I don't mind the three players they're bringing back this season. Usually I would prefer all new players or all returning players and not a mix, but I Skupin and Swan really deserve to get another chance. Penner was medically evacuated his second time playing, and he made it pretty far into the game his first go around in Cook Islands. He's entertaining, but you could argue that if they goal was to give evacuated players a second chance to play the game...Colton would deserve to be brought back before Penner. But I'm glad they didn't bring Colton back. Penner's funny without being cruel, so I'd much rather see him.

I remember during Australian Outback when Mike Skupin fell in that fire and being so horrified by the skin melting off his hands that I thought I was going to vomit. I'm glad they finally brought him back.

I'm not very excited about Jeff Kent. He's a bit notorious in the MLB for having had a very bad temper and starting fights (sometimes within his own team!) with other players, so I could see him being a villain.

I'm more excited for Lisa Welchel, because even though she's famous like Jeff she's known for being incredibly nice. Plus I loved Facts of Life when I watched the reruns as a kid (though Jo was my favorite, of course, not Blair). I hope she does well.


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old September 18th, 2012, 5:48 pm
Goddess_Clio  Female.gif Goddess_Clio is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 2634 days
Location: The pirate ship Revenge
Age: 33
Posts: 1,853
Re: Survivor Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by decarus View Post
I am glad they are bring that Russell. I always felt bad for the guy because you could tell he wanted to be there so badly, he just didn't take care of himself. Didn't drink enough water. It was such a silly mistake to get out on. And he was playing well until then. I think it will be harder a second time around.
I watched the season preview on the TVguide channel last night and they interviewed Russell; he admitted that he felt like an idiot for leaving the game due to dehydration and vows to keep a waterstation within five feet of his person at all times this season He'll probably spend all his time boiling water and getting on everyone's case about drinking it.

He and Mike Skupin are the two returnees I'm excited to see since they had such scary and tragic exits to the game. I'm glad those guys are getting their second chances to play. Jonathan What's-his-face... I didn't even remember that he was a medivac'd player. I hardly remembered him at all, actually.

As for the "new" players this year, it looks like we have an '80s sitcom star and a MLB player... interesting.


__________________
"I could have been in politics 'cause I've always been a big spender."
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old September 19th, 2012, 12:16 am
decarus  Female.gif decarus is offline
Registered Animagus
 
Joined: 3716 days
Location: Averalaan
Posts: 4,149
Re: Survivor Philippines

I actually agree with whomever said that i would rather have all new players as well. The complication of a returning player to the game just completely changes the group dynamics. I sort of like everyone going in on an even footing. Though all stars with all returning players are also interesting.


Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old September 19th, 2012, 2:31 pm
Spacecadet's Avatar
Spacecadet  Female.gif Spacecadet is offline
Rocket Scientist
 
Joined: 3766 days
Location: Lost in Space
Posts: 2,242
Re: Survivor Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by decarus View Post
I actually agree with whomever said that i would rather have all new players as well. The complication of a returning player to the game just completely changes the group dynamics. I sort of like everyone going in on an even footing. Though all stars with all returning players are also interesting.
I agree, I think while it was fun to watch the returning players I think it's time to give that tactic a rest. There's really only two scenarios you see constantly with the returning players, either they get followed blindly as a leader or the group conspires to get rid of them quickly either way it makes the game a bit dull. I'm hoping the fact that these returning players left the game early, will possibly shake this dynamic up a bit but I'm guessing it might have similar results.


__________________
Proud member of both the G houses, Gryffindor and The House of Gator


*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old September 19th, 2012, 4:16 pm
baseballblondie's Avatar
baseballblondie  Female.gif baseballblondie is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4751 days
Location: between the pages of a book
Age: 41
Posts: 489
Re: Survivor Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
I agree, I think while it was fun to watch the returning players I think it's time to give that tactic a rest. There's really only two scenarios you see constantly with the returning players, either they get followed blindly as a leader or the group conspires to get rid of them quickly either way it makes the game a bit dull. I'm hoping the fact that these returning players left the game early, will possibly shake this dynamic up a bit but I'm guessing it might have similar results.
Very true it might. I'm thinking that Mike from Australia has played the game in over 10 years. So he's at a very big disadvantage already. I also have to wonder how much of a target Jeff Kent will have on his back, being a former baseball player and probably having made millions while playing.


__________________
~Forever~
Dawn

Member of the Insane Becky Posse (IBP) and the Gator Fan Club

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old September 19th, 2012, 5:11 pm
Goddess_Clio  Female.gif Goddess_Clio is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 2634 days
Location: The pirate ship Revenge
Age: 33
Posts: 1,853
Re: Survivor Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballblondie View Post
Very true it might. I'm thinking that Mike from Australia has played the game in over 10 years. So he's at a very big disadvantage already. I also have to wonder how much of a target Jeff Kent will have on his back, being a former baseball player and probably having made millions while playing.
I don't know which bugs me more: returning players or millionaire players. The one defence I have of returning players is that you know they're serious when they come back; you know they're there to play to win, not to have a fun time laying on the beach and gaining life experience or whatever (which I'm not discounting but going solely for the experience is hoaky and doesn't make for great TV [*ahem* Tina in Allstars!!]).

The best seasons for me have been the All Stars season and Heros v. Villains which meant that all the players were returning plays and every player was a viable candidate to win (Colby, JT, Boston Rob, Rob C., Coach, Cirie, Stephanie, Tyson, Parvati, and on and on...) whereas with all-new casts or casts with 2-4 returning players the first four weeks are spent generally trying to suss out who actually wants to be there, who actually wants to play the game of Survivor and who's there hoping to do as little as possible, be as unlikable as possible and still get carried to the end.

Oh!! A couple months ago on Rob Has A Podcast, Rob Cesternino had Stephen Fishbach on and they hashed out ways to "fix" survivor (basically to give the show new life and to get away from the returning player/exile island/hidden immunity idol tropes they've been bogged down by in recent seasons). It's a really fun episode to listen to and they came up with some really good and exciting ideas, many of which were listener suggestions. The Episode is called "The First Ever Survivor Think Tank" and it was uploaded to iTunes on 5/27/12 and, as of 20 seconds ago, it's still up for people to download. Personally, I hope Rob C and a good relationship with Mark Burnett and was able to get their brainstorming list over to the Survivor execs.

Rob's podcast is fun to listen to, BTW, especially his survivor episodes because so many players come on the show as guests, and he gets interviews with (almost?) all the cast-offs from the current, airing season. He also has up right now (uploaded 9/3/12) his Survivor Phillipines preview and predictions cast, almost two hours long!! Totally listening to it, like, 30 seconds...


__________________
"I could have been in politics 'cause I've always been a big spender."
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old September 19th, 2012, 5:12 pm
SusanBones's Avatar
SusanBones  Female.gif SusanBones is offline
Inconceivable!
 
Joined: 5128 days
Location: in a galaxy far, far away
Posts: 4,090
Re: Survivor Philippines

While I agree that having returning players seems to give them an unfair advantage, on the few recent shows that didn't have any returning players, the shows didn't seem as interesting to watch. The returning players know how to work the interviews and seem to make things more interesting than having a bunch of strangers who are all new to everything.


__________________


avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old September 20th, 2012, 1:08 am
decarus  Female.gif decarus is offline
Registered Animagus
 
Joined: 3716 days
Location: Averalaan
Posts: 4,149
Re: Survivor Philippines

I disagree. I have really liked the last seasons with no new players because it just seemed more pure survivor where they just play group dynamics and the top dog wins. I like the interaction of it all not the actual challenges and all that. Returning players really completely change the game. And i agree sometimes it is in their favor and sometimes it isn't but still it either gives everyone a leader or an enemy and that seems too easy.

I do agree that it sort of annoys me that there are people that make it on the show that in the end don't seem to want to be there. I don't know why that happens or if the group dynamics is just too much for some people and they can't deal. I don't know.

I also loved All-stars and heroes vs villains because everyone was a returner and they all wanted to be there which was awesome to see.

I think they sometimes bring in players just because they are a bit out there and not because they really want to play and i wish they wouldn't do that so much. And honestly i think sometimes some people may seem like they are going to be a good player, but then when they get in the situation and they realize they are all with these people that are used to people listening to them when they are used to being listened to that it doesn't work for them.


Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old September 20th, 2012, 10:40 am
twinsrule26's Avatar
twinsrule26  Male.gif twinsrule26 is offline
Assistant to Minister Longbottom
 
Joined: 5072 days
Location: In an Island Paradise
Age: 59
Posts: 1,989
Re: Survivor Philippines

Well I liked the start of the season . If you ask me the grab everything and swim for it approach to the start always works as a fun way to begin the show .

It looks to me like Russell has a big problem with letting go of the leadership of his tribe . He sure wanted to tell others what to do all the time .

Johnathan going off looking for the idol is not going to in-dear him to the others in his tribe. If I remember it right isn't that just what Russell H. did ?

Micheal sure is accident prone he isn't going to last the 39 days if he doesn't take better care of himself and stop getting silly cuts everywhere .

It is amazing to me that just a few hours into the season and already there are alliances being set up and who should be first out of each tribe is being discussed .

I think some of the players have had some fire starting training just by the way they got down to it .

talk more soon twins.


__________________
YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT THAT
SOME DAYS YOU'RE THE PIGEON!
AND SOME DAYS
YOU'RE THE STATUE!



Sorted
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old September 20th, 2012, 2:51 pm
Spacecadet's Avatar
Spacecadet  Female.gif Spacecadet is offline
Rocket Scientist
 
Joined: 3766 days
Location: Lost in Space
Posts: 2,242
Re: Survivor Philippines

I actually think this is going to be a really great season. It has a lot going for it right off the bat. The competitions seem pretty evenly matched and there's a lot of great personalities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
It looks to me like Russell has a big problem with letting go of the leadership of his tribe . He sure wanted to tell others what to do all the time .
Russell really blew it. He's lucky Zane was really stupid and threw himself under the bus, and was bad at challenges. Zane's biggest mistake was opening his mouth too much, he was way too trusting. Russell needs to tread carefully or he will be the next to go. It's funny because out of the gate he was my favorite of the returning guys, but after about 20 minutes he was on my nerves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
Johnathan going off looking for the idol is not going to in-dear him to the others in his tribe. If I remember it right isn't that just what Russell H. did ?
There wasnt a ton on Johnathan but he definitely seems like the villian type. and looking for the idol definitely isn't going to win him favor. he also needs to tread lightly.

EDIT: and I just ran across this, Johnathan was up to more than just looking for the idol
Spoiler: show
Quote:
Originally Posted by EW
Speaking of smart, Penner knows he is on the outs, and one thing you did not see in this episode but I saw while out there is him not only looking for the hidden immunity idol, but collecting pieces to make a fake one as well
http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/09/17/su...clusive-video/


Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
Micheal sure is accident prone he isn't going to last the 39 days if he doesn't take better care of himself and stop getting silly cuts everywhere .
I really like michael but I agree he needs to be very careful. he's liable to end up off the show in the same way he left the last time, on a med stretcher. But if he stays healthy he could have some trouble because he's torn between the two groups in his tribe. But I think he has the right idea about going with the people who are moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
It is amazing to me that just a few hours into the season and already there are alliances being set up and who should be first out of each tribe is being discussed .
I agree this always baffles me, you know these people 5 whole seconds (ok maybe in tv time a few hours) and you are forming alliances with them? This could seriously backfire because you don't get the true sense of a person in that amount of time. That said none of the people in the alliances seem to be thinking long term. This is going to fall apart when the three tribes merge (or even if they go down to two first). four will not be enough to gain a majority, and I think this was done on purpose. I love that people are so quick to form alliances but don't think about the possible wrenches of tribe shake ups and merges. Are they going to remain loyal throughout the game or just dissolve the alliance when a merge/tribe reassignment comes.

Should be interesting to see if they go down to two then one and if they go to two, if they just merge the smallest tribe into the other two or they do a complete shuffle. I'm expecting a shuffle but we shall see what happens.


__________________
Proud member of both the G houses, Gryffindor and The House of Gator


*Sig image compliments of cybobbie

Last edited by Spacecadet; September 20th, 2012 at 3:46 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old September 20th, 2012, 4:45 pm
merry18's Avatar
merry18  Female.gif merry18 is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4894 days
Location: In front of the computer
Age: 28
Posts: 943
Re: Survivor Philippines

Russell needs to calm down in a major way if he wants to last in this game. I liked him in Samoa but he was starting to get on my nerves - especially at the challenge when he refused to listen to anyone else's input and put the pageant girl, Angie, on the puzzle right after she admitted that she's not good at puzzles. He got lucky that Zane had no idea how to play the game and basically ousted himself. I wasn't sad to see Zane go, because anytime someone claims that they're going to make a move that will be "Survivor history" I immediately hope they fail. The most recent time this happened was when Russell Hantz was on RI and Stephanie was like "this will be the biggest blindside EVER!" It's just annoying to me.

RC annoys me. I want to like her because she was a serious swimmer (I have a soft spot for fellow swimmers), but all of her interactions with Abi Maria seemed kind of fake. And as someone who loves Facts of Life, I didn't appreciate how she went off on how Lisa was clearly untrustworthy because she was off on her own sometimes.

I already love Mike. His clumsiness was kind of funny (though I hope he gets over it and doesn't jeopardize his chances again) and he seems like he'll do well adapting to the game, which is a lot different than it was back in Australia. Plus he knew who Lisa was and kept her secret. I'm crossing my fingers for a Lisa-Mike-Artis alliance to form (Artis was hilarious in his pre-game interviews - and he's a cancer survivor, which is awesome).

Penner will probably be in trouble if his tribe goes to tribal council. The others clearly don't trust him, and if they're aware he's been looking for the idol they'll cut him. \

It did bother me that both Penner and Russell found the idol clues. There are times when a lot of fans cry "rigged!" on this show for the returnees seeming to always get some kind of advantage, and I was a little tempted to cry it myself last night. I don't like it when returnees find the idols because they already have the advantage of having played before, and at least one of them has made it to the finals every single time they've had returnees. Maybe I'm just annoyed because I want the new players to have a chance.


__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 8:36 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright its respective owners.