Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Project Runway - All Stars

Old February 7th, 2012, 6:33 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Re: Project Runway - All Stars

Finally watched last Thursday's episode. Yea, Mondo! He's my favorite (2nd all time favorite behind Christian). I'm so glad he won a challenge. He totally deserved it. I really like Michael C, but I think what saved him this week was winning two challenges in a row. Apart from that, it should have been the tall black guy going home. His outfit had almost nothing to do with the inspiration piece. It was nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
Yay for Mondo. It was clearly the best. Austin always goes a bit too costume-ish, but his was good too. I thought Rami was better than Austin, but that's just me.

Not gonna say a word about the granny panties. Just because they worked for Gretchen...
Well, Michael C's outfit did look like a bathing suit.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2012, 3:07 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Are they serious?? Rami?? Yeah the top was bad, but the rest was solid. I thought Austin's "small town church" outfit was much worse. (That description cracked me up, btw, and was sooo accurate, at least in my small town ). And while I really loved the head to head challenge (which shows they don't need to do repeated team challenges to force the interpersonal drama--the head to head actually creates good tension by upping the competition factor), I hated that it forced people into the top (Kara) and bottom (Mondo) who did not deserve to be there. Out of the two, I thought Austin was worse, but Kara should've gone home for her zero design. It looked like what I would make, a person with zero design experience or creativity.

Last edited by freelantzer; February 11th, 2012 at 2:10 am.
Old February 10th, 2012, 4:02 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
Are they serious?? Rami??
Totally agree. I think part of the decision was that Rami wasn't on camera much so he must have not been good enough TV for the producers. Austin's outfit was great if you're Kenley or Lilly Pulitzer designing for kids. I think my 8 year old has a similar sweater to what Austin designed...

I'm sorry fashion designers of the world - I lived through the high-waisted pleated pants era. They don't look good on anybody. The 80's were about excess and in this current economic climate of struggling to pay the bills emphasizing a woman's 'assets' doesn't quite work. I know they've been trying to bring the outrageous 80s back for a while now, and it's not sticking. Because us older folks remember how stupid we looked wearing that stuff.

Anyway, sorry Austin, not loving your khakis. Would have liked to see more from Rami.

Kara's outift was bad. You could have bought that outfit at Macy's and that is not a compliment. I'm glad Jerrell won, this was the first outfit of his that I liked, and it was stylish and season appropriate.

Michael C - this outfit of his is the first that I liked. And it's probably because he took the idea from someone else. And he can whine and complain about it, but when Joanna came in and discussed that people are inspired by others so you better bring your best, I thought that was the most legitimate comment on the show. At that point Michael should have said, 'I guess I was inspired by you, but I'm aiming for a different silhouette.' But no he had to pretent that he's so original. But what I can't believe is that the judges after saying that in a runway show they have no idea what Michael would send down the runway and they don't know his style, I thought he was a goner for sure. I think that's where the producers come into play.

Mondo- don't get tired yet! You have to push through and take your win! Or at least beat out Michael C, Kara and Austin. Seriously!

Old February 11th, 2012, 5:37 pm
Fifth Year

The thing I don't like about head-to-head challenges is that it gives an unfair advantage to people who got the high score on a fluke, like Kara. Even the judges knew she was only in the top because Austin had a bad week. There really was no design in that outfit, and even if it didn't look the worst she still should have been eliminated for having done so little with the design.

Rami. Hmm. He wasn't quite as good this season as his first season, and I kind of wished he had just said 'screw it' and draped the heck out of the challenges. But I knew they wouldn't send Austin home after admitting that he had seemingly just had a bad week (and Isaac's inexplicable love for those pants). And, sorry Rami, but Austin's one of the stars of PR, so I don't think the producers were ever gonna let him go too soon.

I liked both Michael's and Jerell's, and I didn't think their outfits ended up looking that similar. They had similar fabrics - that they got separately - and made outerwear....but since their season was winter, that kind of made sense. I do think Michael may have taken a cue from Jerell, though it very well could have been unintentional considering the similar fabrics and season they had to design for.

And I'm sorry judges, but I don't know anyone over the age of 5 who would want to wear Kenley's polka dot toddler romper. I was, to put it lightly, shocked that the judges loved so much. How many weeks has Kenley resorted to using polka dot fabric to cover up the fact that she does almost the same design every week? I mean, I didn't really like Mondo's either, but a polka dot romper?

Sigh. I'm excited for the Broadway challenge next week.

Old February 11th, 2012, 7:55 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Austin: He did a really high waist, which I think only skinny people can pull off. I don't see the dorkiness in the outfit the one judge sees. BTW, I'm not fond of Austin's mustache. His outfit is totally Austin. Honestly, I could see him walking down the runway in that outfit.

Michael C: Did he copy or did he not? I'm not going to judge. I am happy with the way Joanna (that's her name, right?) handled it. She didn't label him one way or the other, but she did have a good discussion.

Rami: I think his outfit had too much jacket for autumn. I do like it, though. The outfit looks more autumn with the jacket it opened. I think his model should have gone down the runway that way.

Mondo: His outfit is not his best, but I don't think it's as bad as the judges are saying. I can't believe they call his look junior and don't call Kenley's look childish.

Kenley: Her outfit looks like a child's jumper/romper or pajamas. It's the only outfit this week that I don't like.

Bottom Four: Mondo, Austin, Rami, and Michael C (dang, that's my top four favorites). OK, send Rami home since he's #4 on that list.

Jerrel, the guy that should have gone home last week, is the winner? Hm, okay (I was afraid it would be Kenley).

Rami does go home. But, it's not Austin. Phew. My sister will not be happy. Rami was her favorite. I agree that it should have been Kara with her no design design.

Just having Mondo in the bottom four made me so nervous. They hated his outfit. I want him to win. (ETA: not this challenge, but this season)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merry18 View Post

I liked both Michael's and Jerell's, and I didn't think their outfits ended up looking that similar.
That's exactly how I feel. They don't look as similar as Jerell keeps claiming.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.

Last edited by leah49; February 11th, 2012 at 11:20 pm.
Old February 11th, 2012, 8:19 pm

You know, this head to head challenge has potential. What they need to change is the rules at judging. Try for a high and low for each pairing, but allow the judges to break from that forced pattern if both outfits were complete failures or complete standouts. Then Kara would've rightly gone home.

Old February 11th, 2012, 11:46 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post

Bottom Four: Mondo, Austin, Rami, and Michael C (dang, that's my top four favorites). OK, send Rami home since he's #4 on that list.
I agreed with a lot of what you said but this is the thing i agree with the most. I think the judges completely missed the mark on the top people other than michael c who didnt belong in the top.

Kenley's was terrible it looked like a 5 year old's outfit.

I think kara, kenley or mila shoulda gone home this week not rami.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old February 12th, 2012, 7:11 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Well, I didn't mean the outfits they made this past week were my top four, just that those are my top four favorite designers on the show. I will admit that Austin and Mondo's outfits were not up to par.

Old February 12th, 2012, 9:41 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Well, I didn't mean the outfits they made this past week were my top four, just that those are my top four favorite designers on the show. I will admit that Austin and Mondo's outfits were not up to par.
i actually liked mondo's but i agree austin's was off the mark. It looked very matronly and small town like they said, but kara's had no design to it what so ever it was nice looking but extremely boring.

Old February 13th, 2012, 3:42 pm

Quote:
You know, this head to head challenge has potential. What they need to change is the rules at judging. Try for a high and low for each pairing, but allow the judges to break from that forced pattern if both outfits were complete failures or complete standouts. Then Kara would've rightly gone home.
Couldn't agree more. They shouldn't lock themselves into only eliminating from a certain group. However I know this happens a lot whenever they do team competitions. Where someone slips into the winning group when they should have clearly been sent home. I would think with All Stars there would be no safety nets.

So who do you think will be final 4? I would have included Rami, but now I'm thinking: Austin, Mondo, Kenley, Mila. The girls mostly because they don't do anything bad even though their designs aren't stellar either. I think they like Austin and want to give him a second chance. I think that sooner or later the judges will get tired of Michael C. Also I would hate for him to be in the finals just to lose again for the sake of another overly dramatic crying moment.

I guess basically the next 2 I see booted off are Michael C and Jerell. Although when I put it that way, I can really see Michael C making it over Austin.

Old February 13th, 2012, 4:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN
I guess basically the next 2 I see booted off are Michael C and Jerell. Although when I put it that way, I can really see Michael C making it over Austin.
But please, Kara first! I don't even know why she's on All Stars in the first place. She was forgettable on her original season.

Old February 14th, 2012, 3:04 pm

Quote:
But please, Kara first! I don't even know why she's on All Stars in the first place. She was forgettable on her original season.
lol right! She's so forgettable that I forgot about her! Yes, Kara then the others.

Old February 14th, 2012, 4:37 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. They shouldn't lock themselves into only eliminating from a certain group. However I know this happens a lot whenever they do team competitions. Where someone slips into the winning group when they should have clearly been sent home. I would think with All Stars there would be no safety nets.
First off HOW DID I NOT KNOW THERE WAS A PROJECT RUNWAY THREAD IN COS?!?!? I'm dying and going to heaven right now... =^D

Okay, reigning it in...

I agree that there shouldn't be any safety nets like in this head to head challenge but then if one designer wasn't in the top and the other not in the bottom it would negate the reason to have head to head challenges.

I would rather have done a head to head thing only insofar as the two designers doing the same season and discussing the designs in relation to each other but that there didn't have to be a winner and a loser from each season (I'm thinking of the season where there was the group challenge and the person who went home that week was actually on one of the groups in the top but he went home because he didn't do anything, literally)

Quote:
So who do you think will be final 4? I would have included Rami, but now I'm thinking: Austin, Mondo, Kenley, Mila. The girls mostly because they don't do anything bad even though their designs aren't stellar either. I think they like Austin and want to give him a second chance. I think that sooner or later the judges will get tired of Michael C. Also I would hate for him to be in the finals just to lose again for the sake of another overly dramatic crying moment.

When Jerell is on form and has good inspiration I tend to like what he designs - I liked his oversized hobo coat from last week, thought his cloths-off-their-backs challenge should have sent him home, his Miss Piggy dress was just plain bad but his first challenge dress was pretty good.

I also don't like Mila in general; she's a one-note to me. She does color blocking and shift dresses in her 'mod' aesthetic. I feel like I've seen every one of her pieces already, there's no surprise to her work for me.

Kenley is also a one-note to an extent. She only does cicle skirt dresses or works in retro fabrics, recycles the same details over and over and, like Mila, I feel like I've seen all her work already (with the exception of her horrendous Miss Piggy dress - the fabric was cute but the dress itself was ugly).

My personal winner would be Mondo and thought it was a travesty he didn't win his season; he does interesting things with separates, works with prints in ways that are new and exciting, and has a sense of whimsy and humor about himself and his work that's very charming. My biggest critique of Mondo is actually what one of the judges said in the cloths-off-their-backs challenge; his girls are often so stylish that you have to wear the look right off the runway or not wear it at all.

For a final four, of all the contestants, I would have liked to see collections from Mondo, Jerell, Austin and Rami, but since Rami isn't there anymore =^( then maybe Kenley would take his place.

Old February 17th, 2012, 5:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
First off HOW DID I NOT KNOW THERE WAS A PROJECT RUNWAY THREAD IN COS?!?!? I'm dying and going to heaven right now... =^D
Welcome to the thread!

Ok, last night - Glad they finally came clean with Kara. And her look was the best she's done all competition. Without the bow, it would have been a nice piece.

I'm happy for Mondo, but this is actually the first time that I thought Austin should have won. It was a bit of a 'strung-out' look so I think that was the only thing that lost it for him. I didn't like the caps on Mondo's shoulders, but since they were designing a costume, I guess it did work.

I was surprised Jerrell's wasn't higher up in the judging. I would have swapped his for Michael C's. Not that I didn't think Michael C's was pretty - it was - it just wasn't at all right for a Broadway production. It was right for an opening party, not a spot on the stage.

I had feared for Mila, because that skirt was awful. And the colors were not stage worthy.

Old February 17th, 2012, 10:33 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Welcome to the thread!
Thanks!

Quote:
Ok, last night - Glad they finally came clean with Kara. And her look was the best she's done all competition. Without the bow, it would have been a nice piece.
I didn't think her look was good at all; in fact it looked like something anyone with a sewing machine and a reasonable ability to sew in a straight line could make. Didn't look expensive to me (a fur stole doesn't make it expensive), it looked like an outfit put together from the Goodwill. =^/ Not surprised she got the boot.

Quote:
I'm happy for Mondo, but this is actually the first time that I thought Austin should have won. It was a bit of a 'strung-out' look so I think that was the only thing that lost it for him. I didn't like the caps on Mondo's shoulders, but since they were designing a costume, I guess it did work.
I thought Mondo's was by far the best - especially given the parameters that it would be in a stage production and would have to 'read' from the nosebleed seats down to the first row. He thought the outfit through the way a costume designer would have (her father's smoking jacket? Awesome!) and she totally looked expensive but sort of chic-ly thrown together and his styling of her was amazing with her fizzy horn hair... I thought it was amazing and love love loved the cut of his dress, the feather trims on that jacket, the jacket in general... love. LOVE. I could see that outfit on a rich villanous woman who sitting in a darkened parlor with her knicknacks all around... LOVE. Then again, I want Mondo to win to take my critique of him with a grain of salt

Austin's didn't make it for me. When he said Marie Antoinette I was expecting... more. I was expecting total baroque extravagance and, frankly, pink. You say Marie Antoinette, you think pink. I liked the strung-out quality it had but the whole outfit looked sloppy and I just wasn't a fan of the silver fabric and the black jumpsuit underneath... Wasn't my favorite. Did love Issak's "Starlet" slip up though

Quote:
I was surprised Jerrell's wasn't higher up in the judging. I would have swapped his for Michael C's. Not that I didn't think Michael C's was pretty - it was - it just wasn't at all right for a Broadway production. It was right for an opening party, not a spot on the stage.
I thought Michael C's was in the top because it had more obvious design in it, whether it was better or worse than Jarrell's or not. I thought his was really boring, especially for a costume. It looked like something I'd wear to work when I'm depressed.

Quote:
I had feared for Mila, because that skirt was awful. And the colors were not stage worthy.
I thought that skirt was a huge misstep, the fabric was a terrible choice.

I'm getting really tired of Kenley and her attitude. I didn't think her look was all that pretty or fashionable let alone expensive. I really hated the fabrics she chose (though the skirt fabric was pretty it was completely overtaken by the jacket's print) and while I admire that she sticks to her vintage guns I think she needs to show more of her range. I know she can do other things, she did them in her first go-around. I'm also over polka dots.

Last edited by Goddess_Clio; February 17th, 2012 at 10:35 pm.
Old February 18th, 2012, 12:26 am
Fifth Year

If anyone had gone home before Kara I wouldn't have been very happy. I like Kara as a person - I think she's always been unintentionally hilarious - but she really has been quite boring in terms of her designs this season and I thought she should have been eliminated a while ago.

I didn't really like Austin's, but I was happy the judges liked it because I like Austin. Mondo definitely should have won the challenge, though, so I was glad when it was down to the two of them that Mondo got the win.

Mila's was terrible. Usually I like her stuff, but her look was so "yikes" this week.

When Kenley was in the bottom and was getting criticized, my sister expressed surprise that she took the criticism so well considering how she reacted during her first season. I think it was because it was really the first time she was in the bottom, so she hadn't developed that defensiveness. If she lands in the bottom again she might, especially if she's in a bad mood from having her closest pal in the competition (Kara) gone now.

Old February 18th, 2012, 4:33 am
Rocket Scientist

I also feared for mila but im glad kara went home. It was way over due, even if she had improved, the seam on the back of that skirt was horrible it was off center and did not move properly at all.

Soo glad mondo won! and shocked kenley didnt use polka dots!

Old February 18th, 2012, 6:21 am
Seventh Year

There were two lines I remembered from the 'season preview' they did at the end of the first episode (like where they do the 'next week on project runway' bits but teasing the whole season)

One was Issak and Austin's exchange "It's Scarlet." "Oh, did I say Starlet?"

The other was a line by Mila that hasn't come out yet so I was 99% sure based on the fact that that line hasn't been aired that Kara was going home. =^/

Old February 22nd, 2012, 9:16 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I'm not sure if I like Mondo or Austin's better, but I liked them both. I would love to see a copy of the playbill with Mondo in it. That's a cool prize.

Old February 25th, 2012, 2:11 am

I love how Mondo can make a long sleeved dress look sexy as anything. Nearly full coverage and so much hotter than Michael C's. And I realize this is the 3rd long sleeve slinky dress that he's done, but it's nice to see him win for it for once. No Michael Kors to beg for more skin to show.

Speaking of, come on that fit was so off. So off. The judges gripe about fit all the time, yet they barely commented on it. That dress showed so much skin the back was really a bit vulgar. And I know I've said it before about Michael's designs. They're just too much. The slit was too high and the back to low.

I thought his original front draping was very pretty. But then he went and wrecked it with that hideous bow. I miss Nina's taste level comment for this get up.

And surprisingly they totally called out Kenley for doing the same design over and over again, but praised her anyway. I think Kenley is funny. I remember being way annoyed with her interactions with Tim, but this time around I just find her amusing.

I thought Jerrell's was great until he put that green part on, and then you got a look at how poor the fit was. Mila's was weird but it had style and was well done. I was surprised the end result wasn't the other way around. Which leaves Kenley as the only girl left on the show...

I missed "After the Runway" but I think I'll try to catch it online. There is so little drama on the actual show, that the reunion must be fun to watch.

Quote:
I would love to see a copy of the playbill with Mondo in it. That's a cool prize.
Definitely!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television