Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Comic Books & Graphic Novels

Comic Books

Old August 14th, 2007, 9:50 pm
Third Year

Re: Comic Books

I've been rereading Supreme Power lately, Hyperion has become one of my favorite characters, I love the idea of a Superman type being in the real world.

As well as World War Hulk and Star Wars: Legacy

Old August 16th, 2007, 5:24 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Didn't read much beyond Archie,Snake Tales (aka The Old Timer) and Footrot Flats as a kid and started reading comics regularly with Batman. Which worked well until the evil buggers in DC set about crossing-over with tedious regularity into Detective.

Eventually the completist in me had me reading Batman, 'Tec, Legends, Shadow, Nightwing, Catwoman, Azrael, Robin and Birds of Prey as well as assorted minis and one-shots.

I finally stopped somehwere around the seemingly endless No Man's Land cycle for a number of reasons but mostly because it wasn't as much fun without Doug Moench and Kelly Jones.

(I also claim partial responsibility for the design of Oracle's wheelchair, but that's another story.)

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old August 17th, 2007, 8:46 pm
First Year

I read all the old ones because my dad has a gazillion from when he was a kid. So I read Spiderman, Superman, Machine Man, Fantastic Four, Captin America,The Avengers, and more but I can't think of them all of the top of my head.

Insanity is just a state of mind. -- Hawkeye

Jerry, just remember, it's not a lie
if you believe it. --George Costanza
Old August 18th, 2007, 8:19 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadPanda View Post
The Iron Man trailer was greatness with every new picture I see I get more and more pumped.

Dark Knight,The Incredible Hulk,Iron Man,Sin City 2, '08 is going to be a great year for comic book movies.
Has anybody else seen the new pics they let out from Dark Knight? My god this is going to be an awesome movie. It's a good sign when you can tell Heath Ledger is rocking the Joker just from a still picture. I can't wait!!!

I just read Batman: Year One - awesome! It's so much fun to discover all these new stories... I wish I'd started reading them earlier, but better late than never! I just bought The Dark Knight Returns, so I'm looking forward to that. Has anyone read Batman: Gothic? I saw it in the store today, and it sounds pretty cool.

Old September 17th, 2007, 2:05 am
Second Year

Quote:
I've been rereading Supreme Power lately, Hyperion has become one of my favorite characters, I love the idea of a Superman type being in the real world.

As well as World War Hulk and Star Wars: Legacy

Supreme Power has been pretty good consistently in my opinion. I've liked it a lot. Even the minis, which is surprising...

Old September 18th, 2007, 10:41 pm
Second Year

what i'm reading currently:

the "100 bullets" series
the "goon" series
the "dmz" series

also, conan, and the punisher, though the last is too violent
"the flaming carrot" wherever i can find it
the "doom patrol" series

and in the recent past:
neil gaiman's "neverwhere"
"i am legend"
"the pride of baghdad"
the "transmetropolitan" series
the "tintin" series
"serenity"

etc etc

Old September 19th, 2007, 12:53 pm
Third Year

Let me be the first to say that the new Superman/Doomsday DVD is excellent.

Also has anyone else read the Detective Comics issue with Joker driving around with Robin, Such a fun issue I loved the Joker in it.

And if you haven't its issue 826.

Old October 11th, 2007, 9:17 am
Sixth Year

Do the Archie comics count? I love Archie comics, esp. Betty and Veronica double Digest. They're the best!

Old December 31st, 2007, 3:35 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Anyone in here likes Calvin and Hobbes,i just love this ones...

or mafalda,this one is in spanish,but its great and has a lot of politcal background...

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old May 15th, 2008, 4:29 pm
Always Indy's Girl

I love Archie Comics and I have read so many of them. I used to read Phantom comice which I use to like and Mandrake the wizard. We get Tinkle comics and Amar Chitra Katha (if that counts) and I used to read both.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Old October 21st, 2009, 10:12 pm
Second Year

Just started reading Neil Gaiman's Sandman stuff...man is a genius.
Also, there were some great runs in Daredevil when he gets unmasked by Kingpin...

Old November 30th, 2009, 9:48 pm
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Let me be the first to say that the new Superman/Doomsday DVD is excellent.

Also has anyone else read the Detective Comics issue with Joker driving around with Robin, Such a fun issue I loved the Joker in it.

And if you haven't its issue 826.
That was a great issue - the Detective comics are great. I'm not so into the Blackest Night arc, well not since Final Crisis because I truly cannot deal with DCU sans Wayne. But hopefully that will be rectified soon enough. So while I continue to collect the Detective/Batman issues, I am less than happy. Some of the stand alone arcs have been pretty cool, like Unseen.

The animations are really good as of late tho, which helps pass the time. Doomsday was pretty good, but the more recent Public Enemies was probably the best thus far. Looking forward to the JL: Crisis on Two Earths, that should rock.

Old December 1st, 2009, 12:27 am

One of the things that eventually stopped me collecting regularly was DC's seeming obsession with mega-crossovers in endless arcs. (The others being putting LotDK into continuity, expanding the Batman related titles to about 10 and the end of the Doug Moench/Kelly Jones partnership.)

That said I have been picking up Batman Reborn. Judging by the previews in the back it looks like DC is going through another period of retooling dead titles to see if they pick up a following.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old December 3rd, 2009, 7:53 pm
Lycanthrope

The Bats expansion was a dream come true back in the day. Of course now... (although even I was rolling on the floor laughing at Blackest Night #5 - good stuff - but I'm still grumpy). Not all of LotDK is continuity - at least not yet, lol.

ETA: w00t. The Return of Bruce Wayne, April 2010...

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; December 10th, 2009 at 3:12 pm.
Old December 21st, 2011, 3:19 pm

Finally got around to reading Hush. Has to be one of the best in-continuity comics I've read in a long time (of course it helped that I didn't have to read it spread across a year).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Not all of LotDK is continuity - at least not yet, lol.
Back in the day LotDK was out of continuity (although it was canon telling stories of Batty's early days) and was printed in prestige format like Vertigo titles with the distinctive bordered covers.

It got caught up in continuity in "Destroyer" but was pretty much just anothet Bat title by "Knightquest".

Last edited by Wab; December 21st, 2011 at 3:39 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Comic Books & Graphic Novels