Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Reactions of Non-readers to the HBP movie

Old July 22nd, 2009, 9:30 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Reactions of Non-readers

My friend, Krystal - a non-reader, loved it. She was very pleased with it, and thought it was very funny. She kept trying to bug us as to whether or not Snape was evil. Plus, this movie has finally turned her on to reading the books. Good job, Yates!

"I am having that kind of day where if the winds blow in a different direction, I am reduced to a gelatinous mass of tear-soaked silly-putty, caterwauling in a heap until someone spoon-feeds me chocolate and tells me I'm pretty."

...anyone got any M&Ms?
Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2009, 9:34 pm
Seventh Year

I saw it again yesterday and after the film I heard people's conversations about it.

I believe they wer readers of the books though, because they commented on how there was no fight at Hogwarts. And where was Bill and Fleur? Because Bill is supposed to get hurt by Greyback and have scars and there is supposed to be a wedding in DH.

I guess they haven't read the list

POTTERMORE USERNAME: FelicisNimbus168
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ADD ME ON POTTERMORE PLEASE OWL ME HERE SO I KNOW WHO IT IS
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:03 pm
Second Year

My sister is currently reading through the books (GOF) but has seen all the films, so she knows the score in HP world.

The one thing she said when we got out of the cinema?

"Wasn't very Hogwarts was it?"

I asked what she meant and her reply:

"Well we didn't see any stairs moving, no owls or a final battle."

I can kinda see her point - we've always seen the place to be filled with enchantments and all this stuff you'd expect to see there, but at the same time - she hasn't read the 6th book and Hogwarts isn't the same happy place in there either so I guess it's just a case of her getting up to date, then seeing the film to see what she thinks.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:07 pm
Animaga terpsichore

My mom keeps asking me who R.A.B is. She's just gonna have to wait until DH comes out.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:35 pm
do you want fries with that?

I took both of my siblings and a friend to see HBP, none of them have read the books. My friend said he was very confused with some of what was going on, but then again he also hasn't seen any of the movies since PS/SS.

My siblings kept asking me for about what was going to happen in the next movie. They wanted to know who R.A.B was and what Snape's intentions are. Of course I keep urging to read the books if they want to know.

The Next Mesut Özil

(Although we must ignore the jersey)
Old July 23rd, 2009, 5:41 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
Second, the Death Eaters were pointless, thus rendering the entire movie pointless. This is the most scathing criticism, as more than one person I've read felt that the movie lost several points for it. Since there was no battle, it seemed things would have been no different if only Draco and Snape carried out the deed, and using the Vanishing Cabinet for additional Death Eaters seemed like an excuse to drag the film out.
I agree... they shouldn't have had the part about the vanishing cabinet. In the books, nobody knows what he is doing...Harry just knows that he's doing something. And in the movie, Harry doesn't even pay that much attention to Draco... he doesn't even send Dobby and Kreacher to watch him. But back to the real reason for the thread (reaction of a non-reader):

My mom didn't even get why Draco was fixing the Vanishing Cabinet. She told me that she thought he just wanted to travel places, and then when I explained that Draco was fixing it so that the Death Eaters could get into Hogwarts from Borgin and Burke to help kill Dumbledore, she was all like, "Oh, what an *** hole. Why would he want to kill Dumbledore?” And then I explained how it was Voldemort’s mission because Dumbledore is the only wizard Voldemort ever feared. And then she was like, “Now who’s supposed to kill Voldemort?” So I went into the detail about how Harry is the chosen one and has to be the one to kill Voldemort. And then she was like, “That Malfoy guy was a chosen one, too, though? He had that mark on his arm.” So then I had to explain about how Malfoy was not a chosen one, but a death eater.

The movie probably didn’t have enough background information like the books have. In the books, you can read the sixth one without reading the fifth one and know what is going on, but the movies don’t have that much background info. I don’t really think my mom remembers the fifth movie that much.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 7:23 pm
First Year

I went with my Dad and he hasn't read any of the books and I have to force him to see the movies with me, I tell him it's beneficial to his health. He said that it was the best one yet but he also said that HP movies always are very slow paced, I don't think so though. The only part he was confused at was the Weasley's Wizard Wheezes bit. He was wondering where they got the money from to start it (Warner Bros. you could've fixed that!) and at one point my Dad thought it was a family shop, so I had to explain it all to him. Also he said he could tell that Dumbledore wanted to die and he said he thought Dumbledore wanted Snape to kill him, but he knows Snape is "good" because I told him so.

Old July 24th, 2009, 9:03 am
First Year

I took my little sister with me and she has never read any of the books and barely watched any of the films. She just knows that the actress that plays Hermione is cute. Haha

She was able to understand the movie and got the general idea about Horcruxes. She enjoyed it and thought it was funny and laughed at the right parts. Mind you she is 24 so her abilities to watch and understand fantasy films like this one may be more than less a someone who is a teen or a older adult that can't comprehend such ideas.

After the movie, she only asked a couple questions, and some of her questions are good ones that I can't even answer!

Her only complaints: The ending was a bit anti-climatic. Plus, she can't understand why I like such an evil character like Snape. Ha!

Old July 24th, 2009, 2:57 pm
Seventh Year

My pal thinks Snape is out for himself.

Old July 25th, 2009, 8:15 pm
Fourth Year

I heard alot of people asking why Dumbledore wasn't wearing his glasses all of a sudden! :shurg: Kinda annoyed me aswell.

Old July 25th, 2009, 8:39 pm
First Year

A friend had not seen the 4th or 5th film but was able to follow it with a few minor confusions, but it didn't ruin the film for them though, just questions about characters such as who Luna was. They enjoyed the funny romantic stuff the most.

beyond words
Old July 25th, 2009, 11:13 pm
First Year

I haven't read any of the books yet, and I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. Probably my favorite in the series.

Of course I had heard some spoilers, like the classic Snape/Dumbledore one.

Only thing I felt was glossed over was Lucius Malfoy, I know he's in Azkaban prison, and one of the Death Eaters did mention his failure. Still, Lucius is too cool, he deserves more mention.

It's interesting that they removed the battle at the end, I don't know what I would've thought about that had I read the book, but I did find the climax of the movie to be very emotional and well done.

Old July 26th, 2009, 4:08 pm
First Year

I went to see it again today with my Dad. I have to say though that i'm currently reading the books to him and we've read the first 3 so far, but he's only seen the first film. So he knows nothing of the storyline from 4-7, pretty much. But he wasn't confused, which I thought he would be a little. He didn't really understand why DD had to die really, but eveything about horcruxes were explained well to him. He thought it was a really enjoyable film and it is way more advanced than the first one, he can see the difference.

Old July 28th, 2009, 12:57 am
First Year

My cousin, who refuses to read the books and the movies at the same time, was really confused by this movie.

Old July 28th, 2009, 3:40 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

A friend of mine saw it, who is a non-reader. He wasn't confused to my knowledge, but he was dying for me to explain to him about Snape. "Is he good or bad?" Stuff like that. And he also asked me what the point of the Burrow scene was. I told him there was no point because it didn't exist in the book. He also didn't understand why they would put in that, but drop the Hogwarts battle after I explained it to him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledores_Hat View Post
It's interesting that they removed the battle at the end, I don't know what I would've thought about that had I read the book, but I did find the climax of the movie to be very emotional and well done.
I will assume disappointed if you had read it. It seemed pointless for Draco to sneak all of those DEs into the school for them to attack not one single student or teacher. It was way too out of character for especially Bellatrix and Fenrir.

It was odd that they dropped that the Order was patrolling the school just in case of an attack. That means that technically Dumbledore left the school unprotected when looking for the locket Horcrux...even apparated right back into the school...which was also off.

Snape growing dangerously furious over Harry's calling him a coward would've been nice to see too and allow all to speculate. I found it odd that they didn't have Snape react. I'm sure Rickman would've done it very well...then again, they didn't even show Snape's Worst Memory right for OotP. The cause of its being his Worst Memory was left out...

Last edited by SSJ_Jup81; July 28th, 2009 at 3:47 am.
Old July 28th, 2009, 5:02 am
Fourth Year

One of my best friends is a huge movie only Harry Potter fan. He's proof that the movies do their story well.

HBP he thought was disappointing because he was expecting more. From the trailers he expected Dumbledore to take Harry on numerous journeys and not a regular school year.

He said it was the funniest yet.

He thinks Harry is a Horcrux because he did 'that thing he did in the 5th film' (the neck twitch) when he touched the ring.

He figured Snape would kill Dumbledore after the scene with Snape and Dumbledore before they left for the cave. He things Snape is evil now

He knew there was something special about the diary in CoS and now he knows.

He got the gist of it but at the end of the day he though nothing really happened in this one.

I'm afraid that HBP will soon go down as 'the movie that nothing happened in' just because they split DH.

"In my life I have seen things that are unimaginably
horrific. I know now...you will see worse."
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:13 am
Zonko's Employee

Saw the film a third time on Saturday afternoon in a big multi-plex near where I live.

Cinema was not completely full, but it was a pretty good turn-out for a Saturday afternoon.

Some elderly guy behind me was snoring loudly for the first half of the film.

I think he was a bored grandfather.

The little boy (aged about eight) next to me seemed completely enthralled. His younger brother was less so: he kept kicking the seats with his feet. (HBP is just not a film for younger children. )

A couple of teenaged girls in front of me seemed quite sniffly at the end: I heard one of them saying 'that was sad!' No idea whether they'd read the books or not, obviously.

Old July 28th, 2009, 11:22 am
Registered Animagus

I went with my boyfriend who has read none of the books (but seen all the movies) and he thoroughly enjoyed it; so much so that he's reading DH now. He said he found it easy to follow, but thought the H/G romance came out of nowhere.

Old July 29th, 2009, 11:42 pm
First Year

I've taken the liberty of translating from my native language an entire review by a non-reader, as there are some points which I found rather interesting. Truth be told, sometimes the text borders on bashing as it's obvious the author didn't like the movie, but I hope it fits within the limits... If not just mods tell me and I'll delete the inappropriate passages.

Here we go... [author- non-reader with basic knowledge of the HP world, Ringer (ie LotR fan)]

"The sixth HP movie is watchable, but that’s about it. It doesn’t inspire the desire in me to see it again. Evoking no emotion or laughter, the movie is almost sterile. All it inspires in me is wonder how easily one can copy other movies.

The feeling of boredom and lengthiness is caused by several factors, the main being a rather illogical story, suitable mostly for children. If the setting of the story were the Middle Ages, then perhaps the interentwined worlds of wizards and men would make more sense; noone would wonder how it comes that non-magical people apparently take no interest in the mysteries that happen around them. What is the sense and meaning of the bridge destruction scene? How come that people in the ‚ordinary world‘ didn’t begin an investigation of what had happened? How did the episode end?

The same could be said about the ‚Potter at the railway station‘ scene- what was its meaning? We learnt that H. Potter enjoys travelling by train; joy. Was that the filmmakers‘ intention? Or have they simply taken a fancy to the opening scenes of the ‚Hooligans‘ movie? At the same time, the audience never learns why professor Snape is called the Half-blood Prince- despite that title being the name of the movie.

Then there are the weak peformances- one has difficulties believing the actors their parts- except perhaps for three characters who are above mediocre, i.e. T. Felton as Malfoy,A. Rickman as Snape, and E. Lynch as Luna. Other performances are dismal for the most part and one always sees the actor rather than the character. Unfortunately, the main trio comes up as the worst, followed by M. Gambon as Dumbledore. None of them gives a convincing performance, whether by facial expressions or by voice. I consider D. Radcliffe the worst- he’s completely stiff and boring, followed closely by R. Grint who seems not to be able to act anything but simple-mindedness. E. Watson as Hermione is somewhat better, but still she doesn’t strike me as a believebly portrayed character. B. Wright as Ginny gives an impression of a stuffed animal to me- she’s as stiff and affected as Mona Lisa, and even speaks that way.
As for Gambon’s performance, I cannot say anything else about it than that he emulates the matchless I. McKellen as Gandalf in every possible way: the clothes, the hairstyle, the voice, the gestures, the movements, and the facial expressions. In the cave scene particularly, one gets the impression that they’re watching Gandalf in Moria from The Lord of the Rings- especially in those instances when the sentences are almost identical, making a person well acquainted with LotR want to add „there are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of the world“ and the like. Couldn’t they have made up a dialogue of their own for the cave scene?
Generally, the movie copies the LotR in more than one scene and character, another example being the inferi scene when Potter falls into the lake. What follows is almost identical with the Dead Marshes scene –gestures, mimics and all- however with a much worse performance. For a reason unknown to me, the inferi are strikingly similar to Gollum; a ridiculous sight.
When it comes to copying, I’ve noticed a striking similarity between the movie and the much older The Worst Witch series, bordering on plagiarism to my mind: the identical themes of a castle school, of a sport match on broomsticks, of the main character’s school enemy with blonde hair, of the edgy black-clad potions teacher who hates the main character… Accidental?

The boring music without an outstanding theme is yet another reason why I didn’t enjoy the movie. There’s no moving theme to support the scenes that are supposed to be touching, or to fill the scenes that are supposed to be deep: there are many instances when the main characters just stare at each other, which takes quite some time as there is three of them; there’s no music however to back these scenes up. To name one particular scene- there’s no touching music nor performances- in the scene when everyone gathers around Dumbledore’s body, just staring stiffly.

There were two characters only that struck me as positive things about the movie, and those were Snape and Malfoy. The former, however, seems to have little to act out, though- he’s strangely unemotional, using the same tone of voice all the time; he gives off the impression of a robot rather than a human being.
Draco Malfoy, however, seems to be the only believeable –and believably portrayed at the same time- character in the movie. I consider T. Felton the best of all the actors in HBP.

To sum up- the Half-blood Prince movie failed to captivate me as a spectator, didn’t move me or intrigue me, and didn’t left any memorable impressions in me."

Old July 30th, 2009, 12:30 am
Third Year

My sister and brother-in-law saw it. He has never read any of the books, and she has only read up to GoF, but they've both seen all the movies.
They really liked the movie, but they had a few questions. They wanted to know what happened to Harry and Cho between OotP and now. They also didn't understand the importance of the Half-Blood Prince. They also thought the ending was anticlimactic, because there wasn't a battle or fight or anything.
My sister actually borrowed OotP and HBP to read! I suppose that was prompted by the movie, so hooray for another convert! (sort of)

Chamber of Secrets
Always

Avatar by samelthecamel, found here
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies