Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall

Give Blood!

Old February 21st, 2011, 8:47 am
Second Year

Re: Give Blood!

I'm not able to donate blood. I have tattoos and take a medication that counter-acts my beta levels. ( I was diagnosed with chronic migraines/headaches.) They also said that my BP is naturally too low. This may sound weird, but even if I was able to donate, I don't know if I would be able to. Although I have tattoos, I hate needles. Getting blood drawn is a major cause of severe panic and anxiety attacks for me. The funny thing is though, with tattoos, I have no attacks. I don't know if it the fact that the needle merely pierces your skin and consistently jabs you while inserting ink, or if the pain (which I for some reason am addicted to) eases the stress of the needle itself. I know, I am weird! But if you have a tattoo(s) you know what I mean! I haven't come across anyone that hasn't said they aren't addicted.

From beginning to end, I shall say it again. Twas nice to be amongst the most dearest of friends.-Brynn Ashleigh '11
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2011, 5:16 pm
Fifth Year

if the tattoos are older than a year you can donate (here in the states) as far as needle fear...I can sympathize with both dobbydear and Lady Snape, I hate needles but I donate because it saves lives. Sometimes you have to dig deep and push aside your fears for the good of others. But you both also have good reasons for not donating and that is a shame.

Fan Fic
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114430

Feedback
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114436
Old February 21st, 2011, 6:30 pm
First Year

I go into a severe panic attack if there's a needle anywhere near me, but I also have Iron Deficiency Anemia so I can't give blood even if I wanted to.

"I saw this dude, he was wearing a leather jacket, and at the same time he was eating a hamburger and drinking a glass of milk. I said to him 'Dude, you're a cow. The metamorphosis is complete. Don't fall asleep or I'll tip you over.'" -Mitch Hedberg
Old February 21st, 2011, 6:55 pm
Fifth Year

have you tried pills? my mom has anemia but if she loads up on iron pills the day before she can normaly donate. Try closing your eyes and meditating, pretend your not getting your arm pricked your on a beach and nothing can hurt you.

Fan Fic

Feedback
Old February 21st, 2011, 7:34 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupe & Scrambled Eggs

I can't give blood. Frankly, I can't stand needles... I would if I could though, since it is a good cause.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old February 21st, 2011, 8:53 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter_fan View Post
have you tried pills? my mom has anemia but if she loads up on iron pills the day before she can normaly donate. Try closing your eyes and meditating, pretend your not getting your arm pricked your on a beach and nothing can hurt you.
I've tried iron supplements, but they're really rough on my stomach.

I heard somewhere that they can put a numbing spray on your arm so you can't feel the needle. I don't know if that's true, but if it is, I definitely wouldn't mind it so much.

"I saw this dude, he was wearing a leather jacket, and at the same time he was eating a hamburger and drinking a glass of milk. I said to him 'Dude, you're a cow. The metamorphosis is complete. Don't fall asleep or I'll tip you over.'" -Mitch Hedberg
Old February 21st, 2011, 9:10 pm
Fifth Year

I've never heard of that, doensn't mean there is no such thing but this is new to me lol

Fan Fic

Feedback
Old February 21st, 2011, 9:12 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

if you cannot take iron pills, eat a bowl of malt-o-meal. this has more iron in it than oatmeal. also, don't eat dairy products, drink caffeine, eat raisins and citrus fruits the day you are going to donate. some foods interfere with the absorption of iron.
as for the needle, I turn my head away and I seldom feel it going in. the blood tech person is going to do everything they can to make it easy on you. they want people to donate. I can't use my right arm. For some reason the veins are larger in my right arm and the blood flows out faster and I end up feeling sick to my stomach. so, I just use my left arm for donating. But, I don't know if I can still donate blood, because I have been taking high blood pressure medication.

Old October 14th, 2012, 3:02 am
Fifth Year

I need to see about donating again...it's that time

Fan Fic

Feedback
Old October 31st, 2012, 9:22 pm
First Year

I tried to give Blood yesterday but couldn't because my 'level' of Iron was at 123 and it needs to be at 125 to donate. But then they took it again and they said it was 118 - how could it lower so much in less than a minute? Or was it just a bit of a fluke - I'd rather be at 123 than 118 but I guess either way it's still too low. I also was having a rather heavy flow period day(sorry if this is TMI but it's just the female human body!) and I was told that could be a factor. So it's possible otherwise I might be at 125 on an ordinary day?

I also may not weigh enough apparently. I wasn't weighed due to the fact my iron was too low(so there was no need obviously) but I spoke to a nurse after and she mentioned I looked like I might be too light. I looked it up online and you are supposed to be 110 pounds - does anyone know is that is the correct information? Because I read something about height to weight ratios for shorter women - but I wasn't sure what that applied to exactly.

I'm sure that I'm around 110, at lightest 105. I used to always be in the 110 to 115 pounds range but I lost a bit of weight(not purposely) in the last couple years. I've started to gain some back but I'm not sure I'm up to 110 yet. I don't own a scale and rarely get weighed. I just don't feel the need to weigh myself as my weight isn't what I need to watch, it's my health. I'm going to work on getting my Iron level up, I'm going to start taking supplements. If I take supplements would I be able to get away with not cutting out nonabsorbent foods(I mean for Iron absorption)? I don't really desire cutting out caffeine and things like that.

I'm not going to worry about my weight, because I am pretty sure at some point I'll get back to my more normal weight range so I'm sure if it takes a little longer, I will still be able to donate just maybe not next month. But Iron levels, I figure I should try and keep that up.

I also wondered, B positive - my blood type isn't super common in Canada - but it wasn't stated as in demand blood type either, but is that because O is used more commonly for those who can't their specific type of blood? B is only good for other B's(and possibly AB's I can't recall?). Is it preferred to give a blood type match over O? I was just curious about that - since O positive could be given to any other positive type does it even make a difference than an actual match?

I was also a bit concerned with how it affects you - to give the amount of blood they take - it's quite a bit I was just wondering does anyone feel any different - I know immediately there can be affects. I'm a bit prone to dizziness, so I was just a bit concerned I'd feel pretty weak after. I'm a fairly petite size, so. Does anyone have any experience there? Anyone on the smaller side and donated and it was all OK?

Old November 13th, 2012, 11:00 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I am taller than you, and heavy (over 250). but I did have a couple of experiences where I became dizzy after donating blood. When that happened, they had me stay on the donation bed. My feet were raised higher than my head. They kept a close eye on me. I couldn't go anywhere until I felt better. I found that I can't donate from my right arm. I have to use my left arm only.
Make sure it's not that time of the month either. Eat a good breakfast, make sure you get a good's night sleep before hand. And don't panic if you feel dizzy. They will take good care of you.

Old November 14th, 2012, 1:57 am
Fifth Year

I can't (nor can my mom) donate in a prone position. we have to use the bus that's here occasionally that has reclined seats and not beds. Plus I normally have to have a blood pressure cuff around my arm to get it to come out faster.

Fan Fic

Feedback
Old November 15th, 2012, 5:50 pm
First Year

I think donating blood is such a great thing! I had to have several transfusions when I was younger, so I am grateful for the people who donated. I was shopping the other day and was asked if I would like to donate blood. I am unable too because I do not meet the weight requirement. I am also terrified of needles (It is so ridiculous how terrified I am), so I think that would be an issue.
Merrymarge, I can only use my left arm to get blood draws as well. I have had so many blood draws in my life, the veins in my right arm are too small.

Old November 15th, 2012, 6:10 pm
Fifth Year

1bella, I have a fear of needles myself and I give I too have been a blood recepiant (I believe I said so in my op) due to my accident in 03. I over come that fear because I know it is so important

Fan Fic

Feedback
Old November 15th, 2012, 6:53 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter_fan View Post
1bella, I have a fear of needles myself and I give I too have been a blood recepiant (I believe I said so in my op) due to my accident in 03. I over come that fear because I know it is so important
That is wonderful you over came your fear!
I had surgery last year and I had a full on panic attack and started hyperventilating when I had to get my i.v. :/ I really do want to overcome my fear because I would love to be a nurse.

Old November 15th, 2012, 7:08 pm
Fifth Year

woah who said I over CAME my fear? I am still VERY much afraid of needles....I just overCOME it temperaraly to donate because I feel it best to for the good of the cause...Blood draws, i.v.s ,shots....yeah still hate the needle...

Fan Fic

Feedback
Old March 25th, 2014, 3:35 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I donated last fall. then I got a letter saying that I couldn't donate for awhile because my hemoglobin was low. If it was low, why was I able to donate? the letter said I could try again in May but I might not.

Old March 25th, 2014, 2:54 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
I donated last fall. then I got a letter saying that I couldn't donate for awhile because my hemoglobin was low. If it was low, why was I able to donate? the letter said I could try again in May but I might not.
Sorry that happened :/

But please don't give up trying People always need blood

My mom regularly can't donate due to low iron but she always tries

Fan Fic

Feedback
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall