Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Reactions of Non-readers to the HBP movie

Old July 29th, 2009, 11:35 pm
First Year

Re: Reactions of Non-readers

The first time I went I was with my mam (who hasn't read the books but has seen all the films and she really liked it and wasn't confused or anything), my brother (he's read them) and 3 cousins-the oldest has read it, the middle one (10) thought it was 'really cool but there was too much kissing', and the youngest was confused but she thought it was funny in parts and scary in others (she's only 6 though so it was hard for her to follow).

I went again today with another cousin who hasn't read the books but has seen the movies - she loved it, thought it was very funny and followed everything fine!

Wow! I can't believe I got a banner!! Thank you!!!

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2009, 6:23 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Although my sister has read the books, she might as well be a non-reader because she's forgotten most of the details. Like the only thing she remembered about HBP was that Snape killed Dumbledore. She thought the movie was deadly boring, and she's telling all her friends not to bother going! Bad sister, bad sister!

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old July 30th, 2009, 12:04 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
Although my sister has read the books, she might as well be a non-reader because she's forgotten most of the details. Like the only thing she remembered about HBP was that Snape killed Dumbledore. She thought the movie was deadly boring, and she's telling all her friends not to bother going! Bad sister, bad sister!
thats what we need...bad word of mouth
hp just lost its top spot to 4 guinea pigs
everyone lets help hp go back to no.1 by encouraging people around us to watch hp!!!!

i just worried that little people will watch dh1 after hbp, most non-readers comments were about little action... and many people watched hbp because ootp contained alot alot of action (rmb the prophecy raining scene?)
but i suppose if yates doesnt screw dh1 up, the harry potter decade will end with a bang with dh2!!!

Old July 30th, 2009, 12:12 pm
Second Year

After I saw it, I took mom and dad for a second viewing for me. Mom's read the books up to PoA, and is continuing on, but dad hasn't read them at all: they've both seen all the movies. They understood everything, however, and thought that the movie was beautiful and well-paced. Dad, who is a big stickler on good vs. evil, found the movie to be very satisfying!!

And the same goes for me.

Old July 30th, 2009, 9:28 pm
First Year

I myself read the book numerous times but my next-door neighbors went to see it when neither of them had read the book.

The younger brother who is 10 has never liked the movies, but when he got back from seeing HBP he said that it was a very good movie.

The older sister (13) has seen all the movies and read up to book 4, but she lost interest. She said that the movie was great but she probably won't start reading the books again.

And that's all I have because everyone else I know that has seen the movie is obsessed with the books.

Old July 30th, 2009, 9:38 pm
Fifth Year

I went with my dad and two sisters. My one sister has read all of the books at least once and really like it, the other had read none and seen none of the movies, but hated it (she's more of a chick flick kinda person) and said it was way too long. My dad, who has read up to book four (I think) really liked it but said the romance could have been toned down a bit. There were a few questions from them, but mostly little things like "where did Luna come from?" and "who's he?" and "Why is Ron making it snow?" but I absolutely loved it when they asked "is Snape good or bad?" (my answer: "That's for you to find out").

Old August 2nd, 2009, 9:38 pm
First Year

I saw HBP with my sister-in-law who has seen all the movies but not read any of the books. I was curious how anyone who hasn't read the books can keep up with the movies since so much prior knowledge is assumed by the film makers especially in OotP, which was so horribly edited. She said that while she doesn't get all the references, she's still able to follow the main plot and that it's enjoyable enough as it is. She has all the books, she bought them for the kids, and eventually, one day, if she feels like it, may actually read one of them.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 9:12 am
Second Year

Excuse me but how the heck is OotP supposed to be 'action-packed'?
How could people be disappointed with HBP?
OotP had: Dementor attack, Flight of the Order, DA meetings, Nagini's attack, Dumbledore's Flight/Patronus DA lesson, Thestrals flight, Department of Mysteries battle, Voldemort VS Dumbledore duel. These are the only action scenes in the film and half of them are not even 'action-packed' (DA meetings, Nagini's attack-you can't call these action scenes but anyway). The climax of OotP was 17-18 minutes long. And the aftermath was too short and quick and cheerful that destroyed the entire mood. How could people find this an action film where the entire film is about Umbridge?
HBP is far more entertaining in many ways. It blends darkness (Death Eaters attacks to London,Burrow and their invasion to Hogwarts, Draco Malfoy's mission, Tom Riddle memories, Cave, the necklace and poisoned mead accidents, Snape), fun (Quidditch,Weasleys Shop,Luna,Slughorn,Potions,Slug Parties etc), romance (Lav-Lav, Oppugno, Ginny, Cormac etc.)...How could this film be less entertaining or even boring comparing to OotP? OotP was a boring film. In the beginning I really liked it. But after 2 times I started realizing its severe flaws. A film that has to do with Umbridge. Entirely. Small portions shine in the middle of the film and takes us away from the boring colors,boring sets,boring storyline: Dumbledore's Army and Occlumency. But then again we're back to Grawpy (another bunch of 2 indifferent scenes) and again Umbridge's empire. Even the beginning of the film (Dursleys and Dudley's horrible performances, the boring Trial,the entire silence during almost all scenes) can't improve this. It's not until the climax begins where things start boiling. Even though the Prophecies scene is atmospheric and eerie and the chase/destruction is impressive and fun we cut to the Veil Room scene that felt to me indifferent. A pathetic death scene, a chaotic 1-minute fight scene with smokes and lights flying around the room and that's it. The Voldy VS Dumbly duel was a truly high point, actually the highest point of the film. But again, everything happened so quickly so it's a blink and you'll miss moment. The possession was good and that's it. It's over. We have a 4-minute aftermath with a bunch of indifferent scenes. Dumbledore discussing the prophecy for 40 seconds, Harry packing his things (really?) for another 20 seconds, 1 minute with Luna and another 1 minute the train scene. Well OK...is Voldemort really back? Does Harry feel anything at all for Sirius death? Oh and the prophecy explanation was so interesting yeah sure. :|
HBP is far far more interesting and entertaining. It's choppy at times, yes. But the editing is far better than OotP and GoF's. The climax is not as action-packed as OotP's because it focuses more on the emotional side of the story. And that satisfied me better. I got chills when Dumbledore was drinking the potion, the Draco scene atop the Astronomy Tower, Harry VS Snape short moment and the wand tribute to Dumbledore. And Quidditch,Burrow attack,Sectumsempra,London attack and all the brief action moments (Ron poisoning,Harry spying Draco,Katie Bell necklace scene,Harry spying Draco in Knockturn Alley and Hogwarts Express) with the combination of the mystery and romance created a far far better movie experience for me and for my friends.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:52 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Excuse me but how the heck is OotP supposed to be 'action-packed'?
How could people be disappointed with HBP?
OotP had: Dementor attack, Flight of the Order, DA meetings, Nagini's attack, Dumbledore's Flight/Patronus DA lesson, Thestrals flight, Department of Mysteries battle, Voldemort VS Dumbledore duel. These are the only action scenes in the film and half of them are not even 'action-packed' (DA meetings, Nagini's attack-you can't call these action scenes but anyway). The climax of OotP was 17-18 minutes long. And the aftermath was too short and quick and cheerful that destroyed the entire mood. How could people find this an action film where the entire film is about Umbridge?
I wouldn't say OotP is "action packed" but it does have a clear conflict which is consistently developed throughout the film. The presence of Umbridge means the film has a clear-cut, ever-present antagonist who really does have power and uses it onstage to make the heroes suffer. That's the key word there: onstage.

HBP, by comparison, lacks a true villain. Voldemort is off-stage the entire time; for all intents and purposes, it's like he doesn't exist. The only characters whom you could pretend could qualify as the film's "villain" are Bella and Snape. Neither has the consistent development that Umbridge receives.

A movie doesn't need "action" to be suspenseful. A chase scene isn't the only type of peril that exists. Something as mundane as school rules, presented in the right manner, can seem as monumental and oppressive as the Muggle-born Registration Committee.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 11:07 am
Second Year

Actually the book doesn't have a villain too. HBP is a transitional book. I am not a big fan of it but it's the calm before the storm. There is this mystery about Draco's mission and Snape's royalty and that's pretty much it. What I loved about this film is that we actually saw the Death Eaters attacking London, we saw them trying to penetrate the castle, they destroyed the Burrow and finally they invaded Hogwarts and on their way out Bellatrix destroyed half the Great Hall and burnt Hagrid's Hut just for fun. These scenes underline the danger extremely well. So we get a sense that the Death Eaters wreak havoc and no place is safe. But the dark aspect of the film focuses mostly on Draco and Voldemort's past. The memories couldn't be darker and grittier. They are not only visually alluring but also serious and chilling. We didn't need Voldemort in this film and the memories just made up for it perfectly. Now about Draco...the entire mission was intense. The visits at the Room of Requirement, the scenes where Draco is wandering and lurking in corridors of the castle, the whole mystery about the Cabinet and Borgin and Burkes are played very well. The Sectumsempra scene, the cursed necklace and the poisoned mead were scenes that showed that there was someone evil inside the castle. And then Draco finally did it: he let the Death Eaters invade Hogwarts. He needed them. He was afraid. Even if he disarmed Dumbledore he knew that Dumbledore may be able to kill him somehow. And definitely he couldn't do it. The mission was torturing him the entire year. The Death Eaters were there to help him. Dumbledore couldn't escape so easily with 7-8 powerful Death Eaters atop the Tower. And the scene was chilling and emotional and definitely much more intense than the Veil Room/Hall of Prophecies scenes in OotP.
Not to mention the Cave sequence which is easily the best climactic sequence in the series. It combines extraordinary special effects and emotions.
And overall, the film had this absence of a specific villain yes. But that's the purpose of the book. You've got Draco,Snape,DEs attacks,Voldemort's past.In OotP even though Imelda Staunton was brilliant, I wouldn't call her really evil. Sure she is the main villain. But half her scenes were funny. Brilliantly funny but...funny. Except for the detentions, Dumbledore's flight and the discovery of the D.A. everything else was both funny and evil. Filch and the Inquisitorial Squad? Fred and George's exit? Even the scene in the forest was funny at times. I just didn't get that sinister side of Umbridge that much. But I'm OK with it.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 11:28 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Actually the book doesn't have a villain too. HBP is a transitional book. I am not a big fan of it but it's the calm before the storm. There is this mystery about Draco's mission and Snape's royalty and that's pretty much it.
Yes, but that's what I was saying. It's an inherent issue with the material.

OotP's main plots deal with the Ministry branding Harry a madman, an evil woman disassembling Hogwarts from the inside, and Voldemort getting deeper and deeper into Harry's psyche.

Compare that to HBP's main plots, which are Harry cheating at potions, and eyeing Ron's little sister. It just doesn't have quite the same sense of urgency. Even if very little actually happens in OotP, there's still urgency and drama.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 11:46 am
First Year

i think that dh1 sales maybe affected by hbp, most cinemagoers were expecting a transformers 2 especially after ootp, which had destroyed sets and fire and fighting, something which hbp lacked, as it served to get audiences biting their nails for the next one. it failed here though, the last scene with the trio was BORING. they should have made it better.
something to add: "The Friends" soundtrack should be used in dh2. it was really memorable!
people might be disappointed by hbp, thus not coming for dh1.
people will still come for dh2, its the last film of the hp series
what we can hope is dh1 does a better job with action: (extend) nagini, 7 potter, etc
most audiences were disapointed with hbp, expecting something """better""";while ironically, fans quite liked them
looks like fan and audiences cant get together :!

Old August 3rd, 2009, 12:28 pm
Second Year

well my non big fan friend who I went with didn't really understand it and had to really think to get around the way the movie was made (I personally didn't think it was too bad, rather good actually)

won't be easy to do
are you this restless too?

Insomniatic-Aly and Aj = Best Song Ever

Old August 11th, 2009, 3:14 am
First Year

Re: Reactions of Non-readers to the HBP movie

When I had seen HBP with a couple of my non-reading friends, the reactions on their face because of some of the scenes were quite enjoyable. Though I did have to explain to them Horcruxes

Come pain
come hurt
See the halo
ha-ha-halo
"Hurricanes & Suns"

Old August 11th, 2009, 4:16 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeWayne View Post
i think that dh1 sales maybe affected by hbp, most cinemagoers were expecting a transformers 2 especially after ootp, which had destroyed sets and fire and fighting, something which hbp lacked, as it served to get audiences biting their nails for the next one. it failed here though, the last scene with the trio was BORING. they should have made it better.
something to add: "The Friends" soundtrack should be used in dh2. it was really memorable!
people might be disappointed by hbp, thus not coming for dh1.
people will still come for dh2, its the last film of the hp series
what we can hope is dh1 does a better job with action: (extend) nagini, 7 potter, etc
most audiences were disapointed with hbp, expecting something """better""";while ironically, fans quite liked them
looks like fan and audiences cant get together :!
I disagree with you. Why would auidences be expecting something like ROTF for a Harry Potter movie. I surely wasn't expecting it at all.

Also I know many people who liked the movie. I one of the fans who think this was the best yet in the series.

Also I think more fans are exoecting DH's. If you read the book you know what to expect in Dh's.

I don't want Harry Potter nowhere near what ROTF was or what GI Joe is.

Old August 11th, 2009, 8:11 am
First Year

Honestly, a lot of the people i know that have seen HBP and havent read the book thought it was boring and probably one of the worst ones.
It was my favorite movie! i thought they did a pretty good job actually. I think theres a big difference between peoples opinions depending on whether they've read the book or not.
maybe thats just me.idk?

Old August 11th, 2009, 2:06 pm
First Year

I'll admit I didn't read the books before I went. I was kind of resolved to see all the movies before I read their corresponding books but that went out the window because I had to find out what happen in DH. I thought Snape was on the Dark Side when I saw the movie and it made me so angry but I was all better after reading DH. I saw it with friends who also had not read the novel and one of them told me it was the best one of the series so far and gave it a 10 out of 10. It kind of surprised me because he is definitely not an avid Harry Potter fan.

"You don't understand -- there are things worth dying for!"

Pottermore: IceNight
Old August 11th, 2009, 2:29 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurDeLaPointe View Post
Hilarity.
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Agreed!

... Clever of him to have already figured out the soul splitting thing after CoS though !

Blondes have more fun! The Jackson KS300 Lovegood special: Only $499!
(Also known as the Lunatar ^^)

Do not read my fanfic "Bannister Sparke and the Peverell Penultiman Conspiracy"
Try
Xenophilius Lovegood: A Life instead
TRIVIUM !! <3
PS: Tom Marvolo Riddle anagrams into "I am Lord Voldemort", but also "Odd immortal lover"
Old August 11th, 2009, 2:56 pm
First Year

I went with my dad and he hasn't read any of the books OR seen all the movies, but I've discribed every book to him in excruciating detail at least once, so he could understand it.

-lilmisshogwarts

I belong in Gryffindor where dwell the brave at heart. Their daring, nerve and chilvlary set Gryffindors apart!
Old August 11th, 2009, 3:52 pm
Second Year

My friend kept asking me what was going on in the cave with the potion and everything... She said that was dumb and they should have just scooped the stuff up and poored it out! Hehe. Why didn't they try that though, anyway?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies