Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Reactions of Non-readers to the HBP movie

Old July 19th, 2009, 6:59 pm
Second Year

Re: Reactions of Non-readers

I went with my Mom and she was pretty shocked. She was really surprised when she found out that Snape was the one who killed Dumbledore...of course I had to lean over and clearify who some people were (like Malfoy's mom for instance). She thought it was really great. I think it means so much more though when you actually read it though, because there is such a stronger connection to the characters.

Old July 19th, 2009, 10:31 pm
[user title]

I went with my best friend and her husband and our four kids. The husbands thought it was a sleeper. They were only there because it was a family activity (they peobably hab more fun in Walmart later picking out paint, hot pink, and glue sticks for making RC airplanes).
I have not asked my girls what they thought yet. I told them before hand that Dumbledore dies so thye would not be too sad and about how he was already dying because of his hand. I also told t hem about Greyback, because I thought he might be transformed and pretty scary.

Old July 19th, 2009, 10:49 pm
Fourth Year

My dad and younger brother are non-readers and they enjoyed the movie. My brother's only complaint was that there was not enough action. My dad felt there was a good balance between the light and dark aspects of the film and was able to follow the movie quite well. He understood what Horcruxes were and was surprised when Snape killed Dumbledore. He said he never would of thought Snape was evil after seeing the other movies.

Old memories seldom fade
And bad habits die hard...
Old July 19th, 2009, 11:43 pm
First Year

I first went with my brother and cousin last Wednesday. My brother has seen all the movies and doesn't believe in books...where as my cousin is 8 years old and just came a long for the ride.

My brother thought this movie was by far funnier than any other in the serious, though I did have to explain practically the whole film for him after.

This past Friday I went with my friend, who has read all the books. His sister who has watched the films, and another friend who has seen the first 3 films and has only ever read 17 pages of Sorcerers Stone.

My friends sister was surprised by the whole Draco & the cabinet plot, and my other friend said the ending was stupid and felt that there was no action. Neither of them said they disliked it.

On the drive back home they REALLY wanted to know if Snape was really evil...of course we told them we had forgotten and the only way to find out is to read the book or wait another year to see the film!

Old July 20th, 2009, 12:12 am
Animaga terpsichore

My mom absolutely fell in love with the film. Her favorite scene was Ron on the love potion.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Old July 20th, 2009, 12:49 am
Zonko's Employee

I should mention that on my first viewing of the film, on Friday night, I was with a friend who has not read the books.

She was completely blown away by the film, she loved it.

She doesn't know what to think about Snape. Although had some interesting theories about him in DH (since she doesn't know the truth yet. )

She was more affected by the film than I was although I did enjoy it.

Old July 20th, 2009, 1:15 am
Curse Breaker

Most of the theater laughed when Ron went down for real after drinking the poisoned mead. It was kind of funny because a couple of young women in front of us were clearly scandalized by this, but unless you read the book, then how were you to know that this flop was meant anything different from the prior ones?

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there. - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old July 20th, 2009, 1:21 am
Fourth Year

People burst with laughter when Draco is hitten by sectumsempra (he falls quite comically) and then the laughter died at once when they saw him covered in blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
Most of the theater laughed when Ron went down for real after drinking the poisoned mead. It was kind of funny because a couple of young women in front of us were clearly scandalized by this, but unless you read the book, then how were you to know that this flop was meant anything different from the prior ones?
That's why I don't like Ron poisoned, it happened way too fast.
I would have just left Katie Bell's attack.

Old July 20th, 2009, 1:32 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccioHP View Post
So I was wondering of those of you who went with people who didn't read the books...what did they think of the movie? Were they surprised at certain parts?

I went with my sister and my uncle. My sister is a fan of the movies, my uncle has seen them but probably only once each. He was really there just to take us

My sister mentioned to me that she didn't think Snape was like that (meaning evil and that he'd kill Dumbledore). So from my experience it seems like alot if not all of the non book readers are believing that Snape is on the Dark Side, Which will set up a shock in DH2.

So what did your friends/family members think of it? (if they were non readers)
My bf went with me only because he knows HP is important to me and I really like it, because fantasy is not at all his thing. He actually thought he would hate it, but he said it wasn't at all horrible afterward. He did say that the hardest thing to follow was which character was which, as the movie seemed to assume that most viewers would have a basic understanding of the cast.

His other moment came after the Sectumsempra scene; he didn't understand why Harry was able to just walk away from the bathroom like that without getting into huge trouble for almost killing another student, for goodness' sake.

Couple of other things that he thought were glossed over, and needed me to remind him where in the movie that was explained or wrapped up. Things that I'd probably have missed, too, if I weren't a book fan who knew why it would be important.

We're still both wondering where in the movie it explained why Ginny was at the Slug Club party. They didn't have her impressing Horace with her magnificent hexing ability in the movie at all. In fact, Ginny was rather a different character in the movie -- not a strong, confident, slightly tomboyish prankster. Plus I thought it looked pretty bad that she kissed Harry when, as far as the movie had revealed, she hadn't actually broken it off with Dean.

"You don't ever have to feel guilty about removing toxic people from your life. It doesn't matter whether someone is a relative, romantic interest, employer, childhood friend, or a new acquaintance--You don't have to make room for people who cause you pain or make you feel small. It's one thing if a person owns up to their behavior and makes an effort to change. But if a person disregards your feelings, ignores your boundaries, and *continues* to treat you in a harmful way, they need to go."
~Danielle Koepke~
~~~ ~~~
Old July 20th, 2009, 1:52 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyraLovegood View Post
In fact, Ginny was rather a different character in the movie -- not a strong, confident, slightly tomboyish prankster.
There were no pranks, and I'm not sure Ginny ever was a "tomboy", but you cannot call a 15-year old who charges out into the night to face Death Eaters anything other than strong and confidant!

One comment I have heard from both readers and non-readers is that the film completely failed to explain the Diary. So long after reading the book or seeing the film, they thought that it was a reference to something earlier in the film.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there. - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old July 20th, 2009, 2:02 am
First Year

Quote:
One comment I have heard from both readers and non-readers is that the film completely failed to explain the Diary. So long after reading the book or seeing the film, they thought that it was a reference to something earlier in the film.
You know, when I saw it again today, I actually thought they could've used a repeat explanation about the Room of Requirement, myself. I was curious as to how anyone would understand that.

The diary, though, I thought, was a pretty memorable object. Guess not? I actually thought it was somewhat odd when Gambon said of the diary "two years ago, you gave this to me," and I briefly thought "no... he gave it to someone else." And then it clicked in my head that it was Richard Harris. Nice attempt to create some continuity though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I went with my Mom and she was pretty shocked. She was really surprised when she found out that Snape was the one who killed Dumbledore...of course I had to lean over and clearify who some people were (like Malfoy's mom for instance).
My mom's read the books, but her memory is so bad that it's basically like she hasn't. She was also surprised when Snape killed Dumbledore, and when they showed Malfoy and Narcissa together in the paper, with the headline being something along the lines of "Malfoy's Wife and Son Leave Trial", my mom said "Malfoy has a wife?!" I think she mistook Draco for being married.

Old July 20th, 2009, 2:15 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
That's why it was so brilliant, imo! The audience is in a giggly, fun, laughing mood and then Ron falls again as the audience get ready to laugh again when the film cuts to disturbing and realistic shots of Ron being poisoned, convulsing and foaming at the mouth...a perfect case of the comic relief making the drama all the more potent.

Masterfully edited, imo.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old July 20th, 2009, 4:28 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
That's why it was so brilliant, imo! The audience is in a giggly, fun, laughing mood and then Ron falls again as the audience get ready to laugh again when the film cuts to disturbing and realistic shots of Ron being poisoned, convulsing and foaming at the mouth...a perfect case of the comic relief making the drama all the more potent.

Masterfully edited, imo.
I thought that was great too. Both times I've seen the film people are laughing as Ron collapses after drinking the mead. Of course since I've read the books and knew what was going on at that point I didn't laugh at it, but for the non readers I could imagine that it was a big shock because one minute they're laughing and the next Ron is foaming at the mouth and convulsing.

So on my second viewing I went with my sister again, and also my mom.
My sister still says she can't believe Snape is like that. She also commented on that it was a long movie. (I thought it was a great length of course )
My mom thought it was sad that Dumbledore died. She said because he was like Harry's mentor/guardian. I also heard her laugh at some parts as well.

POTTERMORE USERNAME: FelicisNimbus168
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ADD ME ON POTTERMORE PLEASE OWL ME HERE SO I KNOW WHO IT IS
Old July 20th, 2009, 5:30 am
Second Year

Quote:
Interesting, this one. My mom, who has never read the books and is easily confused (sorry if you're reading this, mom! ) took it pretty in stride. No, she didn't know exactly what the diary was, but "four years ago you yadda yadda Chamber of Secrets ("oh, one of the previous movies") and gave me this" seemed to say enough for her.

I've heard two completely different things more than once.

First of all, both my mom and several other non-readers barely understand Horcruxes. However, this didn't seem to bother them much, and they felt they understood well enough to enjoy the film. They really only admitted they didn't get it when pressed. So, I guess the film did its job.

Second, the Death Eaters were pointless, thus rendering the entire movie pointless. This is the most scathing criticism, as more than one person I've read felt that the movie lost several points for it. Since there was no battle, it seemed things would have been no different if only Draco and Snape carried out the deed, and using the Vanishing Cabinet for additional Death Eaters seemed like an excuse to drag the film out.

I understand Yates' reasoning for cutting the battle, but he should have rectified this, somehow. If there could have been even a small fight between one or two other wizards and DEs while they ran away, even that would have made sense of it. Or perhaps to make it clearer that Draco didn't expect Dumbledore to be weakened. Oh well.

Old July 20th, 2009, 5:32 am
Animaga terpsichore

My mom thinks Snape is a horrible person. I tried to tell her about him, but she doesn't believe me. Wait until she sees DH.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Old July 20th, 2009, 5:45 am
Second Year

My sister who hasn't read the books brought up some random things that I didn't even notice... Like how we never hear Lavender's name until waaay late in the movie. I didn't even think about it! And she didn't really understand horcruxes either. I thought they explained them okay, but I can see how non-readers will be a little lost.

I personally thought they made it too obvious in the movie that Snape is actually on the good side, but they fooled my sister! Mwahaha. I shall never tell...

Old July 20th, 2009, 6:09 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post

Masterfully edited, imo.
Masterfully edited only to bookend a serious attempt to kill someone and one of Harry's best friend nearly dying with "These girls are going to kill me." I was wishing so hard that they won't deflate the scene with some sort of unwitty one liner. I suppose in the end it worked out since following soon after was more comedy which fit the tone of scene in the hospital wing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
Second, the Death Eaters were pointless, thus rendering the entire movie pointless. This is the most scathing criticism, as more than one person I've read felt that the movie lost several points for it. Since there was no battle, it seemed things would have been no different if only Draco and Snape carried out the deed, and using the Vanishing Cabinet for additional Death Eaters seemed like an excuse to drag the film out.

I understand Yates' reasoning for cutting the battle, but he should have rectified this, somehow. If there could have been even a small fight between one or two other wizards and DEs while they ran away, even that would have made sense of it. Or perhaps to make it clearer that Draco didn't expect Dumbledore to be weakened. Oh well.
It made sense in keeping death eaters as to salvage what little credible threat they seem to be in the series or at least this installment. The thing is we need to show that Hogwarts isn't safe anymore, especially when Death Eaters can infiltrate so easily and totally wreck the place up. The battle wasn't needed because it needed to show how much of an upperhand they have in killing Dumbledore. I mean really, showing what's left of defenses shooing them out would degrade the seriousness of the situation and be the equivalent of an old nanny swatting out burgulars with her frying pan or broom. At the same time it sets up Hogwarts in DH to be run by Death Eaters.

Old July 20th, 2009, 7:02 am
Conquering Reading Lists

My friend was scandalised when Snape killed Dumbledore. She was crying and silently fuming at Snape. One of my friends who's read the book, then had to spoil everything for her and say " Don't worry. Dumbledore wanted to die"

Which confused my friend even more and she had to explain the entire story in short

Well, from what I've noticed, non-readers enjoy the film because there's so much they can relate to- the romance, mostly is so hilarious and is just the entertainment they've all come for. Same goes for the scenes in the cave and the scenes that follow- that's just the intense scenes that they wanted to see and it was perfect, my friend felt.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old July 20th, 2009, 8:03 am
First Year

Movie garnered mixed reactions from my non-reader friends, due to the following:
1) The climax of the movie was apparently a total letdown. They were expecting a huge confrontation at Hogwarts and were left questioning what the point of bringing in the Death Eaters was. Probably one of the few times where readers and non-readers are in agreeance about a scene being left out. I know they wanted to "avoid repetition" (i.e. save money) but the producers jumped the shark with that one. One of my friends also said "I hope there's a lot of action in the last (2) movies." Guessing he won't be disappointed on that score...

2) They also felt nothing happened for the first two hours beyond teenage love affairs and Draco being dark and mysterious. This is a byproduct of the source material, but I would have gladly cut out the gratuitous Quidditch scenes for more exposition on Malfoy's mission and Snape ambiguity.

Speaking about Snape's loyalties, one of my friends who's only read up to book four offered his theory on Snape: he's a good guy, and him & Dumbledore faked Dumbledore's death, who will come back somehow in book 7. He was pretty adamant about Snape being a good guy, even as I tried to cast doubt into his mind, so I was mildly impressed. Wouldn't answer his questions though, told him to read book 7

Old July 20th, 2009, 9:20 am
First Year

My bf said it was very boring, he even slept in the cinema. I knew he didn't like HP series, he went to the cinema just because me. Also, he didn't like Alan Rickman, because I am a big fan of him, I knew he was jealous. However, another friend of mine, she never read the books before and didn't see the whole 5 films, when she watched the film, she cried... She told me it was very moving. After that, she decided to read the book and watch the 1-5 films from the very beginning....

[staff edit - inappropriate content]

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies