Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall

Your country's traditional foods

Old June 1st, 2006, 10:29 pm
Zonko's Employee

Your country's traditional foods

Does your country have any traditional dishes, what are they and do you like them?

I originally come from South Africa and the traditional dishes include bobotie, potjiekos and biltong - and the only thing I like out of those is biltong. It is really delicious.

I now live in England and of course we have things like fish and chips (I don't like the fish), steak and kidney pie...again don't like. Curry, although not a traditional dish is becoming very popular...and I do like some curries.

Mrs Weasley set the potion down on the bedside cabinet, bent down, and put her arms around Harry. He had no memory of ever being hugged like this, as though by a mother. The full weight of everything he had seen that night seemed to fall in upon him as Mrs Weasley held him to her. His mother's face, his father's voice, the sight of Cedric, dead on the ground, all started spinning in his head until he could hardly bear it, until he was screwing up his face against the howl of misery fighting to get out of him
Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2006, 11:38 pm
First Year

Re: Your country's traditional foods

In my contry the tipical food is the "Paella" with rice, chiken, saffron, scampi, mussels, and squids, you can throw many ingredients.

In my city (Madrid) the "Cocido Madrileño" The first a soup plate, later other place with chick-peas, ham, sausage, potaito..

Old June 2nd, 2006, 12:51 am
Fourth Year

I live in the United States. I'd say that "traditional" food would be hamburgers and hotdogs and macaroni 'n cheese.

“That which Voldemort does not value, he takes no trouble to comprehend. Of house-elves and children’s tales, of love, loyalty, and innocence, Voldemort knows and understands nothing. Nothing. That they all have a power beyond his own, a power beyond the reach of any magic, is a truth he has never grasped.”

92% of teens moved on to rap music. If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your sig.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 1:47 am
Second Year

I'd disagree with that - curry is now traditional in Britain. Chicken tikka masala and fish 'n' chips alternate each year on the 'most eaten dish' list, and both are British through and through - chicken tikka masala was invented in Britain, and is generally thought to originate from Birmingham (ref. Madhur Jaffrey amongst others). Don't forget that even over 50 years ago when the queen rose to the throne everyone ate 'coronation chicken': a curry dish. Just because its age-old roots may be in another continent does not make it any less traditional. Recipes are adapted to the countries in which they're served, and time is also an important factor.

I think Britain has too many unique dishes to mention. We're famous for roast beef, but Welsh lamb is better than anything in the world. Dishes such as Lancashire hotpot, Cornish pasties, the aforementioned steak and kidney pie, bangers 'n' mash, toad in the hole... not to mention the ubiquity of our apple puddings of various kinds, cheesecakes, traditional ice creams... the list is very very long. We also have lots of game recipes to choose from, as well as a very proud seafood heritage championed by Rick Stein and others, and we're overflowing with traditional cookbooks published several centuries ago brought back to life by food historians such as Jane Grigson et al. That makes for very traditional food.

Last edited by Paradigm; June 2nd, 2006 at 1:50 am.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 5:37 am
Third Year

I suppose the first dish that comes to mind is poutine (fries, cheese curds and gravy). But I think the food is very regional and whatever is there. The local delicacy (or what we tell the tourists is delicacy) is Prairie Oysters. I have never gotten around to trying that one yet, nor do I ever intend to try it. Around here we're just really proud of our beef, so bbq's are a must.

Old June 5th, 2006, 10:00 am
Third Year

Hmmm, In Australia we eat things froma lot of different countries, but I've been told that a meat pie and a serve of chips is considered to be an "Aussie" meal.

We create positive lives.
So if there's somethin' that you want,
You know you gotta get it.
Don't ever forget it, Cos someday you will regret it.
Old June 5th, 2006, 11:38 am
Second Year

Mmm Welsh Lamb. And lobster, apparantly. heh. But yea, roast Welsh lamb is absoulutly goregeous!

I think the traditional Welsh foods (or the ones I know of anyway) are Welsh Rarebit (or cheese on toast!), Bara Brith ("spotted bread" - basically bread with currants in it) and Bara Lawr (Laver Bread - seaweed fried in bacon fat and rolled in oats). And of course, Welsh Cakes (or bakestones - flat cakes with currants/raisins in).

Edit: I found this site with a load of Welsh recipies on!

Click Here
MySpazz Me, Baby!

Winky: *up on table in kitchen* I'm--hic!--a little peatot....stort and...shout....*collapses*
Dobby: Winky is drunk again...*drags her off again*"
Thanks to Shadow_Thestral! ^_^
Seriously Funny Pants! Sorry, thread.
Old June 6th, 2006, 5:36 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by pints
I suppose the first dish that comes to mind is poutine (fries, cheese curds and gravy). But I think the food is very regional and whatever is there. The local delicacy (or what we tell the tourists is delicacy) is Prairie Oysters. I have never gotten around to trying that one yet, nor do I ever intend to try it. Around here we're just really proud of our beef, so bbq's are a must.
I was about to say the same thing for poutine, though it really only applies for Quebec, not really Canada I guess. We have a chain here with awesome barbequed chicken, and my aunt said she has a hard time finding anywhere in LA where they do it like that, but once again, it's more of a Quebec thing. I guess the other thing is the traditional meal when you go sugaring off, pea soup, ham, maple syrup, tire(snow+maple syrup) and don't pronounce it tire like on a car, it's french so it's more of a double e sound. I actually really don't like the traditional meal, but it's a really fun experience because you can see them actually extracting stuff from the maple trees, there are sleigh rides and then traditional music with spoons.

Old June 6th, 2006, 12:02 pm
Second Year

yummm...so many different types of food...here in NZ the traditional dish of food is called a Hangi its food that is cooked in the ground i have no idea how they cook it in the ground all i know is that they dig a deep hole in the ground and then they place these speacil(sp??not thinkin staright at th mo) hot hot hot stone into the ground then they put the food into these speacil tray things and cover it all up so bugs and stuff dont get into the food and eat it the food that they put in are mostly Lamb,chicken,potato,sweet potato,pumkin,seafood like mussels and other fish i think??,and all these other vegetable taste great...

"He accused me of being 'Dumbledore's man through and through'."
"How very rude of him."
"I told him I was."
Old June 6th, 2006, 3:15 pm
Third Year

I live in the country of Lard. Cheeseburgers, sodas, milkshakes, popcorn, and candy.
I try to steer clear of the fatty foods that the USA is known for in order to stay alive.

Old June 6th, 2006, 11:59 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookshanks16
I live in the United States. I'd say that "traditional" food would be hamburgers and hotdogs and macaroni 'n cheese.
Living in the US myself, I'm gonna go with Thanksgiving dinner as the traditional food of the country - roasted turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, turkey gravy, various other side dishes (green bean casserole, candied yams, cranberry sauce, etc); and, to top it all off, apple pie, pumpkin pie and pecan pie.

Coldplay @ Freedom Hall
Louisville, KY
Feb 23, 2006

"This is my happening and it freaks me out" - Z-Man, Beyond the Valley of the Dolls
Old June 20th, 2006, 5:16 pm
Second Year

Typical food and stereotypes

I was just wondering what are the stereotypes of food for your country and what you really eat usually.
As a French, I know that we're known for snails and frogs... But we don't eat that daily and not everybody likes that. I like snails but I don't like frogs for example.
We generally eat meat or fish with potatoes or rice or vegetable or pasta !

Which HP kid are you?
Old June 22nd, 2006, 1:33 pm
First Year

Re: Typical food and stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchHermy
I was just wondering what are the stereotypes of food for your country and what you really eat usually.
As a French, I know that we're known for snails and frogs... But we don't eat that daily and not everybody likes that. I like snails but I don't like frogs for example.
We generally eat meat or fish with potatoes or rice or vegetable or pasta !
What are frogs like? I've heard they taste like chicken.

In England we're meant to eat fish and chips a lot, but I hardly ever have it. I'd rather have sausages and yorkshire puddings . I suppose that's really English as well!

Old June 22nd, 2006, 1:45 pm
Mrs Grawp

YAY an international food discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamda
What are frogs like? I've heard they taste like chicken.
I've tried them once and they are good, when prepared in a yummy salse.
The polemic about them is that (I think) to be authentic, they have to extract the frog legs while the frog is living. Which is considered animal cruelty. (and it is of course)

And I am half french and like snails too with yummy garlic butter salse

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Old June 22nd, 2006, 1:46 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Just like foie gras, which I believe calls for the goose to be stuffed with food until it's practically about to explode and then is cooked alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guad
The polemic about them is that (I think) to be authentic, they have to extract the frog legs while the frog is living. Which is considered animal cruelty. (and it is of course)
Obviously, it's all in people's heads.

Old June 22nd, 2006, 1:49 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis

Just like foie gras, which I believe asks for the goose to be stuffed with food until it's practically about to explode and then is cooked alive.
Here's a link to it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foie_gras#Controversy
I don't know about the cooking alive, but the stuffing is correct.

Errm, I still like it a lot with truffles specially.

Old June 22nd, 2006, 2:00 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Just like foie gras, which I believe calls for the goose to be stuffed with food until it's practically about to explode and then is cooked alive.
That's extremly cruel and should be forbidden.

To torture poor animals just to have a delicates should be forbidden and punished in general. Same goes for what they do with cats and dogs in China. I read various articles that the animals are cooked alive cause the adrenalin makes the meat so soft. Unbelieveable.

The End of the Dream.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 2:24 pm
Mrs Grawp

You know, generally I would agree, but there is where the conflict between cultural heritage and ethical decision comes in.
Do you know that in Spain they eat the oxtail? http://www.majesticspain.com/majestic_rabo_de_toro.htm . It's not exactly like ox, because a bull is not an ox.

They also eat pig ears (eww, tried that but didn't like it) and callos (I don't know the english word here) http://canales.laverdad.es/gastronom...on211003a.html

Old June 22nd, 2006, 4:01 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I'm sorry, but I don't see how or why any 'cultural heritage' which calls for mistreatment of animals should be supported.

Old June 22nd, 2006, 4:07 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't see how or why any 'cultural heritage' which calls for mistreatment of animals should be supported.
I didn't say to support it. I only say that some food is like very typical in some countries and even if the elaboration methods are cruel, it is and will probably remain for some generation part of the gastronomic culture.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall