Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Little Questions Answered v.21

Old September 22nd, 2012, 3:15 pm
First Year

Re: Little Questions Answered v.21

When Harry, Ron and Hermione are caught by the Snatchers after Harry said the Taboo, Harry pretends to be Vernon Dudley. Hermione says she's Penelope Clearwater. Her answer seems pretty convincing, but as we learned already in COS Clearwater got attacked by the Basilisk as well, so she probably was Muggle born and would be on the list.
It's very unlikely for Hermione, witty as she is, even in urgent situations, to call herself after a 'Mudblood girl'. You think Rowling oversaw this, or that Hermione simply forgot?

Old September 22nd, 2012, 10:51 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I don't know the answer to your question, but I wonder how a giant snake knew who was Muggleborn and who wasn't. I also wondered if Penelope was Muggleborn or pure-blood. Would Percy even go out with someone who wasn't pure-blood? we don't know for sure.

Old September 22nd, 2012, 11:15 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Hermione and Penelope were petrified at the same time. Hermione wasn't killed because she saw the basilisk in a mirror. Why wasn't Penelope killed?

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old September 22nd, 2012, 11:21 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
Hermione and Penelope were petrified at the same time. Hermione wasn't killed because she saw the basilisk in a mirror. Why wasn't Penelope killed?
After Hermione found out about the basilisk, she was telling people to carry mirrors around. She probably told Penelope in time.

Old September 22nd, 2012, 11:27 pm
Banned

What happened with Penelope after she and Percy graduated? Did the romance continue? I've always wondered.

I don't know why, but I like Penelope, though she has such a minor role in the books, and even less in the movie. The only time I remember her name being mentioned is when Nearly Headless Nick says "Good evening, Miss Clearwater." You don't even get a clear look at her face. I wouldn't know the actress if I saw her again.

Old September 23rd, 2012, 8:08 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyannaS View Post
What happened with Penelope after she and Percy graduated? Did the romance continue? I've always wondered.

I don't know why, but I like Penelope, though she has such a minor role in the books, and even less in the movie. The only time I remember her name being mentioned is when Nearly Headless Nick says "Good evening, Miss Clearwater." You don't even get a clear look at her face. I wouldn't know the actress if I saw her again.

Percy married a girl named Audrey. I think Percy was too obsessed with his career he probably didn't focus on Penelope much and they probably broke it off somewhere between Harry's third and fourth year.

Question: Did Dumbledore know Harry was descended from one of the Peverells?

Old September 23rd, 2012, 10:06 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post

Question: Did Dumbledore know Harry was descended from one of the Peverells?
In view of the fact he had James' cloak at the time James & Lily were killed and seemed to appreciate that it was the Hallows cloak, I think he must have realised.

James and Lily went to live in Godric's Hollow which was where Ignotus Peverell was buried. Do you suppose that was just coincidence or did James know he was descended from Ignotus?

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old September 23rd, 2012, 10:09 pm
Second Year

I think Penelope was a halfblood. The basilisk was ordered to target Hermione to get Harry interested in the Chamber of Secrets and to lure him into the Chamber. That's why Riddle took Ginny in the chamber as well.

At the end when Dumbledore meets Harry in King Cross he is aware of Harry's relation to the Peverell family. Also, the portrait of Dumbledore knows. Remeber Harry said he was going to keep Ignotus' present and Dumbledore agreed. Furthermore, Dumbledore did a lot of research on the hallows. He most likely knew.

I really don't know if James knew. He probably knew if he had a family tree like Sirius. But its hard to say. We have so little information of James and his family. Pottermore doesn't even have his mahogany wand listed. He is a mystery to me. i feel like I see two James Potters in the books: the arrogant mean bully and the brave loving husband.

Last edited by cool_chick_div; September 23rd, 2012 at 10:16 pm. Reason: Errors
Old September 24th, 2012, 6:23 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_chick_div View Post
I really don't know if James knew. He probably knew if he had a family tree like Sirius. But its hard to say. We have so little information of James and his family. Pottermore doesn't even have his mahogany wand listed. He is a mystery to me. i feel like I see two James Potters in the books: the arrogant mean bully and the brave loving husband.
I feel pretty sure the Potters must have had a family tree, considering their long lineage - they probably go back as far as the Blacks if not further.

The fact that James' wand was not listed in Pottermore was rather shocking to me

The "arrogant toe-rag" was just a very brief period in James' life. Even during that period, he risked his life to save Snape. He may have been a show-off, he did go overboard in SWM (jealousy can make you mean), but he was basically a decent person. IMO.

Old September 24th, 2012, 8:11 pm
Second Year

I would have to say Penelope Clearwater was Muggle-born. As we have to assume that those with that blood-status was what the Basilisk was sent out to attack, before being intentionally told to attack half-blood Harry. As Ron states that his family is the "biggest blood-traitor family" there is, we can assume Percy wouldn't mind dating her.

I think the confusion came in when Hermione lied to the Snatchers, called herself "Penelope" and said her status was "Half-blood". That was just cleverness, not a definite answer to Penelope's 'blood-status' question. She used the name of a person who was a few years out of Hogwarts, so she wouldn't be on any snatcher list and also, of course, said 'half-blood', because, as was said above, she wouldn't call herself "Mudblood."

Someone had a theory somewhere that the Basilisk could smell Muggle-borns. I don't know about that, but it is a magical creature. It could have similar powers that a Boggart does to know your fear…but, in this case…know the difference between pure, half and mudbloods.

Old September 24th, 2012, 9:27 pm
Sixth Year

My guess is that Salazar Slytherin really left the Basilisk there to serve as a last line of defense if the Castle was successfully assaulted by Muggles, so it would naturally be a creature that can tell Muggles when it "smells" them and by extension Muggleborns.

Old September 25th, 2012, 6:15 pm
Sixth Year

I never got the impression that the Basilisk could identify students based on their blood type. The Heir would control it and tell it what to do.

Old September 25th, 2012, 6:39 pm
Zonko's Employee

Does it seem strange to others that the basilisk could even be controlled? It had been trapped down in the Chamber for hundreds of years with nothing to eat but whatever rats strayed down there, and then it is released to a castle full of tasty meals. But in all that, it is under sufficient control that only one student gets killed and nobody gets eaten combined in all the releases by Riddle or Riddle-possessing-Ginny.

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.
Old September 25th, 2012, 6:50 pm
Registered Animagus

It was said in the legend that the Basilisk in the Chamber was "a monster only the Heir of Slytherin could control and purge all Muggleborn from the school" and since Ginny was being controlled by the Heir of Slytherin's diary, then it listened to her. I'd say it was enchanted to hunt down Muggleborn and be controlled by the Heir of Slytherin.

Old September 27th, 2012, 3:55 pm
Third Year

Wow, I’m surprised to see that many feel that the Basilisk was itself able to determine specifically who was a Muggleborn and who wasn’t, by smell or somesuch, and/or that every single person attacked was accurately selected by blood status deliberately and that the basilisk was discriminating on that account, to the degree that by the sheer fact she was petrified, Penelope’s blood status would be able to be thus definitely nailed down. It’s interesting to see differences of opinion on issues where one never really thought of there particularly being any to discuss, only to find that so many see it differently. I myself didn’t actually didn’t think it was exactly true as I was reading that the basilisk was going around saying, in effect, “I’ve been set loose, gonna hunt me down some Muggleborns, sniff sniff...”; I thought that was more the line of what Riddle wanted to cause terror by having people believe.

The “happenstance” ways that people were saved from it--by seeing it in mirrors, puddles, cameras, through a ghost-- to me gave the whole thing the flavor of things not going precisely as Riddle planned, real life throwing a little randomness into the mix, the basilisk perhaps catching people at odd times in somewhat unpredictable circumstances despite a rough general plan, that some may well have been people who just happened to be in the wrong hallway at the wrong time or ran a few steps ahead of the wrong person, when maybe the basilisk was on its way from one pipe to another, perhaps when it was originally sent after someone else entirely and came across them. If there could be happenstance where odd things wound up protecting people, there could equally be circumstances not precisely predicted at its release that caused inexact targets to be hit occasionally.

Sure, Riddle wasn’t going to send it out on a mission to busy areas where victims would be random, or anywhere near places like the Slytherin common room, or classrooms where Slytherins also had lessons at the time, and sometimes I sure it was a case of there being a deliberate target or at least a handy Muggleborn in a vulnerable location when he was in the mood to spread more terror.

Sure, he mostly probably aimed it at certain targets when they were somewhat isolated. And when it did have a fairly specific target, it was fairly likely to be someone Harry was connected to (who thus statistically was more likely to be Muggleborn than, say, associates of Draco’s), but I felt all along that random people, like perhaps Penelope, could be of any blood status and easily just be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and the basilisk wouldn’t know or care. When setting a large creature onto someone in a school full hundreds of students heading in myriad directions, even with a fairly focused plan of attack, it’s probably difficult-to-impossible to guarantee no one else could wander into a hallway when the creature pops out right at that moment in their travels.

Without re-reading, I thought at the time that some of the victims may have been accidental, that though the basilisk was perhaps being aimed at someone specific many times, it may have run into someone else on the way to its target, or someone else happened around the corner a moment too soon, something like that.

I generally thought of the basilisk as sort of the equivalent of a vicious junkyard dog that would tear apart whoever its owner “sicced” it on, one that sometimes attacked random unlucky people who just happened to be nearby or in the way. I never really got the feeling it actually had some special refined senses for detecting genetic makeup and that it used it to meticulously avoid attacking the “right” kind of people and detect and hunt down the “wrong” type.

I never felt the basilisk was in any way that fine-tuned a creature, that it was that intelligent, discerning or discriminating, or that it really had any “blood-detecting” special senses, just that it was a tool that Riddle could use by essentially pointing it in a chosen direction and saying “kill!” I felt that the Heir may have been doing some basic “steering” of the basilisk but my sixth sense was that with a big vicious creature like that, that will kill with a look, squirming through a hallway when it came out of a pipe to attack, it was more like steering a tractor than a Porsche, and that nothing really totally prevented a pureblood from suddenly stumbling into its path or catching up next to a friend at a bad moment and being just as dead/petrified as a Muggleborn.

But Riddle was always overconfident in his plans and I think he felt sure this was a rather minimal concern in the greater scheme of things and imagined his exceptional planning would keep this from being an issue.

I figured a main truism of the books was that there was no actual difference between a Muggleborn and a Pureblood. That even Purebloods weren’t really Purebloods--a wizard was a wizard, and that anyone who thought that “Pureblood status” was some sort of true, detectable, valid thing that actually made a person materially different--much less better--was basically a deluded fool or a bigoted jerk or both. I don’t think JKR would have had there be some sort of actual physical difference in blood that could actually be detected by some creature, thus theoretically also there to be able to be differentiated by some other testing or magical means.

Diary-Riddle may have controlled the basilisk (through Ginny) to “jump out of the pipe...wait...all right...now!” when a specific target or a handy “Mudblood” was nearby, so yes, the odds were good that they’d often be the victims, but if Riddle had, for example, come up with a plan where he wanted to get at Harry through attacking Ron, or if he’d perhaps decided to pick off the other possible threat, Neville, I don’t for a moment think the basilisk would have batted a deadly eye at going after them as ordered by its master, or had any other “thought” than “Yum!,” just because their blood smelled too pure.

Old September 28th, 2012, 1:32 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I've always thought the control of the basilisk was a bit mystifying. Riddle, who had the control of it was confined to the Chamber and had to rely on Ginny for information. Ginny probably could have told Tom who some of the Muggle-borns were but I can't see she would have known when a Muggle-born would be alone in a corridor to make it a suitable time to attack. We have no evidence that she was around the places where the attacks took place and no-one seemed to notice her absence from where she was supposed to be. So did Tom just send the basilisk out to wander the corridors when things were fairly quiet to attack whoever happened to go past? And was it just chance that they happened to be Muggle-borns? And how did a snake that size find a large enough exit from the pipes to get out anyway? I'm confused.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old September 29th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Registered Animagus

I have an odd question, but I am curious. Does anyone know how old Firenze is? Or would like to take a guess? Could he have possibly been around, perhaps a teen or maybe even a bit older during the Marauder Era?

Old September 30th, 2012, 7:05 pm
Third Year

Good questions Horcrux4. The pipes thing was always a bit hazy to me, too. It would have been nice to see someplace it came out--it can't have been throught he secret sink opening, can it? I guess I just figured that DiaryRiddle had some sort of magical power, being not a real person, to know where people were, but needed a real person (Ginny) to perform some actual physical things to let it loose. That's just pretty much a theoretical guess, though.

Old October 1st, 2012, 3:57 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I thought because Ginny didn't know what she did some of the time, I thought she would excuse herself and go to the bahtroom and let the basilik out that way.

When Hogwarts was first founded, there probably weren't a lot of Muggleborns and that was how Slytherin was able to control his monster. But by the time Harry and his friends were in school, there were too many to know by chance.

Old October 1st, 2012, 7:58 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
I have an odd question, but I am curious. Does anyone know how old Firenze is? Or would like to take a guess? Could he have possibly been around, perhaps a teen or maybe even a bit older during the Marauder Era?
Good question, to which I don't know the answer. For that matter, do we know how long Centaurs live? Their lifespan is probably very different from humans' lifespans

I'm curious as to why you ask that question - what would be the significance of Firenze having been around during the Marauder era? Which, mind you, is not that long ago. Most of the older characters in the books were around then.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone