Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (with spoilers)

View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on the play and book?
Awesome! Both of them. 2 5.26%
The play is great, but the story doesn't work in book format 4 10.53%
I've lots of emotions on core characters that must not be named 11 28.95%
Mwah... meh... 17 44.74%
The book is awesome, can't wait to see the play! 8 21.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 11th, 2016, 5:49 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
I really wonder how much will change from previews to final script. My friends who saw Hamilton in previews said the second half changed a lot between previews and opening day. But I have a feeling the main plot issues will remain, just the dialogue will be tightened up. Maybe Harry won't be so all-caps Harry, small things like that. But I really wish they would edit a line at the end:
Spoiler: show
"She was raised to believe she is" instead of "She is the daughter of"
I could forgive all the other fanfic like stuff, but not really that.
I think that would involve more than just changing one line. Then you'd also have to explain who lied to her, why, and also make sure the lie is exposed some way (ie someone finds out the truth). And possibly also explain who her father really is. It's not impossible of course but it does require more work than just changing a small detail. Not to mention that if there's any symbolism attached to it (as I suspect there is considering the title of the play) then that will also be undone.

I hope they don't change it. I never had much interest in this play until I found that that particular thing is in it. I don't really care about Harry's kids or about the Weasleys, what really made me love Harry Potter is the darker characters and I'm happy about this revelation as it gives me something more about them to explore.

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2016, 11:16 pm
First Year

Plus, isnt the final script being published later on this year/ early next year?

Old July 11th, 2016, 11:42 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereena View Post
I think that would involve more than just changing one line. Then you'd also have to explain who lied to her, why, and also make sure the lie is exposed some way (ie someone finds out the truth). And possibly also explain who her father really is. It's not impossible of course but it does require more work than just changing a small detail. Not to mention that if there's any symbolism attached to it (as I suspect there is considering the title of the play) then that will also be undone.

I hope they don't change it. I never had much interest in this play until I found that that particular thing is in it. I don't really care about Harry's kids or about the Weasleys, what really made me love Harry Potter is the darker characters and I'm happy about this revelation as it gives me something more about them to explore.
Hmm, well I would definitely support exploring the darker side of things more.
I think having an explanation of how she came to be (something other than the reason stated in the play) and how she was treated growing up would explain why she was obsessed with her parentage. I'd like a better explanation of where the prophecy came from and how she came to know about it. Theodore Nott is mentioned early on and I expected that to play out somewhat since I recall JKR said she had a whole story about his family in her notes. But it wasn't. I would have been happier if the catalyst for the dark magic resurgence had to do with a new family and not the same old source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterVoldemort View Post
Plus, isnt the final script being published later on this year/ early next year?
Yep. From Pottermore:
PottermoreThe Special Rehearsal Edition of the script will be available for a limited time, and gives readers the earliest opportunity to read the eighth story – just after the play has opened at London’s Palace Theatre. In this edition, readers will have access to the script used by the cast and creative team during rehearsals and previews.

During the preview period, in front of a live audience, the script will be fine-tuned by the creative team. It’s a chance to make tweaks outside the rehearsal room and based on the reactions of a real audience.

A later, Definitive Edition of the script is set for release in early 2017. This final and complete edition will replace the Special Rehearsal Edition in bookshops, both in print and digitally.

The Definitive Edition will contain the perfected, definitive script with final stage directions and annotations, as seen on opening night and beyond. This edition will also include extra content, such as writing from the play’s creative team.

Old July 12th, 2016, 9:35 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Hmm, well I would definitely support exploring the darker side of things more.
I think having an explanation of how she came to be (something other than the reason stated in the play) and how she was treated growing up would explain why she was obsessed with her parentage. I'd like a better explanation of where the prophecy came from and how she came to know about it. Theodore Nott is mentioned early on and I expected that to play out somewhat since I recall JKR said she had a whole story about his family in her notes. But it wasn't. I would have been happier if the catalyst for the dark magic resurgence had to do with a new family and not the same old source.
Yeah. I think this is one of those things that people just have a knee-jerk reaction to from reading spoilers instead of waiting for the script (or to see the play if they're lucky). There are ways it can be done in which it will make perfect sense and it wouldn't feel ooc at all for any of the characters involved. As for it being fanfic-y, well yes I have seen this concept in fanfics but then again what hasn't been done in fanfics? There aren't more fanfics about this than about anything else in the Potterverse so the fact that some fic writers also used this doesn't cheapen it for me because it can still be done very well in the play. JKR is a good author so maybe we should give her the benefit of the doubt.

As for the final script, it's sort of weird that by time everyone buys this script on July 31st, it will already be outdated and then we have to wait a few months more until we finally get the final version. I hope they will at least make it clear in the press or on the official site what changes they've made so that we know which things in the script will make it into the final version and therefore be official canon and which ones will not and therefore can be ignored. Regular fans might not care that much, but it helps the online community to know what we should discuss and what we shouldn't bother with

Last edited by Sereena; July 12th, 2016 at 11:04 am.
Old July 12th, 2016, 3:04 pm
First Year

Haven't logged on here in a very long time, but I've just seen the play. Don't read the script book. The magic of this is experiencing the visuals and the acting and the illusions. Some of the choices they make with the plot are very clearly done to allow them to show things on stage that fans want to see on stage, and these choices won't come across well in print. The one big "change" they made, that might seem dumb, actually doesn't seem as dumb when you go back to the books and some of the writing on Pottermore. It made me look at one aspect of the world a different way.

If you go into this with an open mind, and think of it as "Harry Potter: The Stage Experience" you'll have a great, emotional time. Scorpius is one of the most interesting characters in the series. Don't ruin this by reading the script. If you can't go see the play, don't read it at all.

GoldFlight80
Old July 12th, 2016, 10:46 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by famouscustard View Post
If you can't go see the play, don't read it at all.
Pass.
Because I'll take what I can get.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old July 13th, 2016, 4:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by famouscustard View Post
Haven't logged on here in a very long time, but I've just seen the play. Don't read the script book. The magic of this is experiencing the visuals and the acting and the illusions. Some of the choices they make with the plot are very clearly done to allow them to show things on stage that fans want to see on stage, and these choices won't come across well in print. The one big "change" they made, that might seem dumb, actually doesn't seem as dumb when you go back to the books and some of the writing on Pottermore. It made me look at one aspect of the world a different way.

If you go into this with an open mind, and think of it as "Harry Potter: The Stage Experience" you'll have a great, emotional time. Scorpius is one of the most interesting characters in the series. Don't ruin this by reading the script. If you can't go see the play, don't read it at all.
I'm curious what one thing you're referring to. I saw the play last week, and I see what you're saying. The best part for us was not knowing at all what the story was, and then seeing it play out in front of us. Literally. The end of part 1 we were just jaw droppingly stunned, but a large part of that was the visual experience of it.

Agreed on Scorpius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
Pass.
I'm sure you're not alone. It'll be interesting to see how they format the rehearsal script. Will there be visuals? I know there is no stage direction, which I can't decide will be distracting or not.

Old July 14th, 2016, 12:57 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
I'm curious what one thing you're referring to. I saw the play last week, and I see what you're saying. The best part for us was not knowing at all what the story was, and then seeing it play out in front of us. Literally. The end of part 1 we were just jaw droppingly stunned, but a large part of that was the visual experience of it.

Agreed on Scorpius.

I'm sure you're not alone. It'll be interesting to see how they format the rehearsal script. Will there be visuals? I know there is no stage direction, which I can't decide will be distracting or not.
The thing is it takes place in England. And not everyone can afford to go there. If it comes here, I'm guessing it'll be in New York, and fans will run into the same situation. So a lot of fans will only have access to the script itself and nothing more.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old July 14th, 2016, 2:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
The thing is it takes place in England. And not everyone can afford to go there. If it comes here, I'm guessing it'll be in New York, and fans will run into the same situation. So a lot of fans will only have access to the script itself and nothing more.
I know. At least in London there isn't the Hamilton situation that is going on in NYC. That all the tickets were purchased by resellers (or held by investors) and now even the worst seats cost several hundred dollars plus the reseller fees. I really appreciate that there isn't a secondary ticket market to corrupt the ability for the fans to see the show.

I've been saying this about Hamilton, and I think the same should happen for Cursed Child after a year or so - do a Live Nation thing where it is broadcast for a night into movie theaters around the world. That way fans can see it as presented and in an affordable manner.

Old July 15th, 2016, 2:12 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
I know. At least in London there isn't the Hamilton situation that is going on in NYC. That all the tickets were purchased by resellers (or held by investors) and now even the worst seats cost several hundred dollars plus the reseller fees. I really appreciate that there isn't a secondary ticket market to corrupt the ability for the fans to see the show.

I've been saying this about Hamilton, and I think the same should happen for Cursed Child after a year or so - do a Live Nation thing where it is broadcast for a night into movie theaters around the world. That way fans can see it as presented and in an affordable manner.
That would be decent. But people in more rural areas might still not be able to see it, so the book/script might be their only option.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old July 30th, 2016, 8:27 pm
Sixth Year

I'm very excited for the script version to come out, though I thought that it would be in actual story format and not script format. Either way, I'm going to get it and read it.

Old July 30th, 2016, 8:51 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
Pass.
this.

Old July 31st, 2016, 12:50 am
Snidget of Champions

Headed off to a midnight release party soon, albeit more for the gathering of fans than in anticipation of Cursed Child.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old July 31st, 2016, 5:42 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
Headed off to a midnight release party soon, albeit more for the gathering of fans than in anticipation of Cursed Child.
I felt exactly the same way. The turn out at my local bookstore wasn't what I was expecting. There weren't as many people as previous book releases. I was the first in line to get my copy.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old July 31st, 2016, 12:35 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Just read the first few scenes. Not going to give anything away outside spoiler tags, but

I know some people are going to complain and say that Rowling & Co. are going the way of fan fiction and how could she do this because Slytherin is evol, but I have always thought that the Epilogue set up a non-Gryffindor sorting. Slytherin makes a lot of dramatic sense, and it seems that Albus' sorting has something to do with his kindness and lack of judgment towards a lonely blonde boy.

I'm excited to see how this plays out, and I hope that it finally puts to rest the notion that Slytherin is just a dumping ground for bad people. But it's definitely hard on poor Albus. I hope it works out.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!

Last edited by ccollinsmith; July 31st, 2016 at 1:00 pm.
Old July 31st, 2016, 5:28 pm
Knower of things

Phantom menace moment

Well I'm just finished and I suppose a little conflicted.

So this is the first book release since GOF That I didn't queue at midnight for - how times change! But its not that this is bad its just not necessarily what I expected and I still think that the play come December when I get to see it will be worth while. I like how different aspects of the trios characters were explored, I liked seeing some of their traits (Dracos and Ginnys as well) in their off spring but I think its a bit too disjointed and rehashing something that should have been left well enough alone. If you're not familiar with GOF you will be confused IMHO, the new enemy seems to be the same as the old enemy and while there are definite flashes of Jo, its not the same as the other books. But on the other hand, its not suppose to be either.

Albus and Scorpius I think are set up for more troublemaking than even the Weasley twins at their worst I wonder if we'll see more of them in the future.

Old July 31st, 2016, 8:29 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Also just finished reading the script. I absolutely loved it (although I can see it must work much better on stage than page). Only complaint: everybody was "moved" every five seconds.

Old July 31st, 2016, 11:39 pm
Sixth Year

Haven't finished it yet, but I'm on Act Two so far, and I love what I'm reading so far. I do admit that it would have probably been better in story format, but it is still good despite that and I can always make it as story format in my head as I read it. Really like the plot so far and can't wait to read more.

Old August 1st, 2016, 12:33 am
First Year

I just finished Cursed Child, and really enjoyed it. I felt the plot was a little repetitive in terms of the
time traveling. Half way through it was like, "Okay, I get that there are ripple effects but...." Perhaps on the stage it might not feel like that, but it does feel like the last 30 minutes of Prisoner of Azkaban repeated. The alternative universes were fun. The one I enjoyed the most was Hermione/Ron being wanted wizards with Snape helping Scorpius. I also thought Snape was nicer or gentler with Scorpius which was a surprise (still).

My BIGGEST issue was Bellatrix/Voldemort having a baby. I just didn't understand the timing of them having one before the Battle of Hogwarts. Delphi, herself, is a pretty cool character, and it was a great contrast in terms of Harry/Draco trying to parent their children differently from how they were raised, but overall - I just wish she had been a child of Bellatrix and her husband instead, but even the timing of her both off either way.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the characters. There were a few plot issues that made me wish for other things to have happened or the plot to have been different, but it was still enjoyable. I don't necessarily consider it an official part of the series though, if that makes sense. I almost consider it a fanfiction that exists in the ether but it's not necessarily anything I see myself focusing on as much as the previous books/movies.

Last edited by bellahawthorne; August 1st, 2016 at 12:35 am.
Old August 1st, 2016, 1:35 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
I felt exactly the same way. The turn out at my local bookstore wasn't what I was expecting. There weren't as many people as previous book releases. I was the first in line to get my copy.
The same! It wasnt that busy at my local Barnes and Noble.

I loved the book. Im happy i didnt read many of the spoilers! it was fantastic!

I loved the book. Im happy i didnt read many of the spoilers! it was fantastic!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies