Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (with spoilers)

View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on the play and book?
Awesome! Both of them. 2 5.26%
The play is great, but the story doesn't work in book format 4 10.53%
I've lots of emotions on core characters that must not be named 11 28.95%
Mwah... meh... 17 44.74%
The book is awesome, can't wait to see the play! 8 21.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 10th, 2016, 11:53 am
Sixth Year

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

I don't understand how ...

Spoiler: show
... this supposedly contradicts time-travel in PoA. It was never a "closed loop" - if it was, going back in time wouldn't have been a dangerous thing to do at all, because things would always have turned out the way they did. And yet PoA is full of warnings about things that could go wrong.

All those warnings about the dangers of Harry and Hermione seeing their other selves only carry weight if it is possible to change the past.

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2016, 1:09 pm
MODLY CREW

So I read some spoilers and this feels like JKR's Breaking Dawn moment.

Old June 10th, 2016, 7:44 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
At least Breaking Dawn was better in parts. I could tolerate that. This... not so much .

Just finished with the other one... what in the hell did I just read? I hate this.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; June 10th, 2016 at 8:15 pm.
Old June 10th, 2016, 11:40 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Dissapointed ? Me....noooooooooo, after the spoilers for the second part disapointed is not the word.
Heartbroken,that sounds more like it, I was sooo exited, this is a disgrace to the books.There are some details I like, like the houses they are sorted into, but thats it. The rest feels like a prank.Not real, not Potter.And some attitudes are wayyyyy out of character, not to mention some important details.It cannot be real, and if it is, How can it be considered canon ?
I was hoping that when I read the book it made more sense, but how can it, when it is all sooooo....there are no words to describe it.
I will read the script and hopefully it will improve somehow, details missed by the people posting spoilers can make a difference, but the plot is as it is, and thst is the part I am not fond of.I had higher expectations, after all, this is a Potter. I expected something outstanding, not something like that.

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy

Last edited by Montse; June 11th, 2016 at 12:12 am.
Old June 11th, 2016, 1:10 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
I fear this may be more like her Phantom Menace moment.

I believe in a hill called Mount Calvary.
Old June 11th, 2016, 10:37 pm
Fourth Year

Are we sure this is for real? Before DH came out, there were plenty of "leaked copies" on the Internet which turned out to have been fanfics. I really can't see Rowling approving of something like what's supposedly in this play.

Old June 12th, 2016, 6:05 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereena View Post
Are we sure this is for real? Before DH came out, there were plenty of "leaked copies" on the Internet which turned out to have been fanfics. I really can't see Rowling approving of something like what's supposedly in this play.
That is my thought as well. I guess we'll just have to wait until the script comes out to see if any of this is true or not.

Old June 12th, 2016, 10:08 pm
First Year

Oh you guys this is why #KeeptheSecrets is a thing. I'm lucky enough to live in London and saw the first preview performances this week - they were incredible and so magical. Honestly, if I had learnt about the plot from reading these spoilers I'd have been disappointed too. Plays are meant to be seen, not read and certainly not read in the form of a dodgy synopsis. I'm sad that these people who were lucky enough to be in the audience have disrespected JK and everyone who's put so much work into the production like this.

I know that right now the play is not accessible to everyone but it is very likely that it will be touring worldwide in the not-too-distant future and the script is being published very soon for anyone who wants to read it. I would wholeheartedly recommend not reading the spoilers and at least holding out until the script is published - or if you can, until the play tours to someplace near you.

Old June 12th, 2016, 10:34 pm
Third Year

The true test will be...
If they can make this a Movie with the original cast!

Who the Heck Recast?

See my HP music videos at Youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAAm8ogssSU What is behind the Shell?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBRqBm52n-8 Is Harry "Good Enough" by Evanescence
Read My Crossover Fanfic: Goblet of Fire
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114176
Old June 13th, 2016, 3:14 pm
Member of the Order

Hmf...

Available July 31.

Have some doubts...

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old June 14th, 2016, 5:41 am
Hogwarts Graduate

The reviews should be interesting, but we'll have wait until after the previews. There may be a few changes before opening night.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old June 21st, 2016, 8:11 am
Sixth Year

Well, now I'm nervous.

No matter what happens though, I'm buckled in and ready to go... even if this turns out to be a really terrible ride. Remember the "19 Years Later" part of DH and how everyone said, "I think I already read this once on fanfiction.net!"? Hopefully, it doesn't give us all the same feeling. But if it does, I'll live through it. I'll be there at midnight, even if it is awful.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old June 26th, 2016, 11:22 pm

At least that one was ok. This... I don't think I even want to read. I might rent it, but I certainly won't buy a copy.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Old June 27th, 2016, 9:10 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
At least that one was ok. This... I don't think I even want to read. I might rent it, but I certainly won't buy a copy.
I don't think we should get ahead of ourselves though. Reading some spoilers on Tumblr or wherever is not going to give anyone the full picture of what happens in the play, characterization, etc. Plenty of things in DH are just as ridiculous as some things in this play but I think people forget that. The fanfic-y accusations can just as easily be applied to something like the Harrycrux or Snape-loved-Lily. I've read the spoilers (some of them) but I'm reserving judgment until I've read the script book and seen with my own eyes what it says. I don't want the story retold by some other fan who might or might not have missed crucial details, I want the story from the main source and then I can judge it.

Old June 28th, 2016, 4:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereena View Post
I don't think we should get ahead of ourselves though. Reading some spoilers on Tumblr or wherever is not going to give anyone the full picture of what happens in the play, characterization, etc. Plenty of things in DH are just as ridiculous as some things in this play but I think people forget that. The fanfic-y accusations can just as easily be applied to something like the Harrycrux or Snape-loved-Lily. I've read the spoilers (some of them) but I'm reserving judgment until I've read the script book and seen with my own eyes what it says. I don't want the story retold by some other fan who might or might not have missed crucial details, I want the story from the main source and then I can judge it.
I know. Guess I'm tired of bad writing (whether it's real or not makes no difference to me now). I'll be doing the same via rental. I'm not putting money out for it.

Old June 29th, 2016, 10:58 pm
Member of the Order

I admit I'll pore through the book at the bookstore before making up my own mind as to whether or not to buy it.
Needs to "feel" the same.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old July 11th, 2016, 3:36 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
The reviews should be interesting, but we'll have wait until after the previews. There may be a few changes before opening night.
Having just seen it, I do hope they make a few changes before opening night. There are parts that are amazing and other that need tweaking. Knowing what I know, I wish they would have waited to print the edited version over the Previews script to allow for time for changes. It'll be interesting to see the fans' reaction to it. In my opinion, at least half of the enjoyment of the story was the actors, the actions on stage, and the atmosphere in the theater. I hope for those who don't get to see it, it will translate ok in the printed script.

I am DYING to talk about some of the things that were amazing and some of the things I wish weren't done the way there were.

I think I can say this without spoiling anything - this story is a love letter to the fans. I think I would have liked to know that going in.

ETA: Scorpius. He was the highlight of the whole experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyDreamsOn View Post
If anyone wants in-depth spoilers for the second part of the play, you can read them on this tumblr:

http://victorkrvm.tumblr.com/post/14...child-part-two

I thought part 2 was even worse (except one part near the end that I liked). I'm personally not going to consider any of this as canon. This doesn't feel at all like Harry Potter.
I am coming late to the party. I knew I was seeing it so I stayed spoiler free until I did. This posted spoiler is accurate. In my audience everyone groaned not gasped at the part mentioned in the spoiler. And it is the one and only thing I did not like about the play. Too fanfic-y. Almost ruined it for me. I said earlier you really have to think of it as a love letter to the fans, not the 8th story. Makes it all better.

Last edited by HMN; July 11th, 2016 at 4:35 pm.
Old July 11th, 2016, 5:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
Having just seen it, I do hope they make a few changes before opening night. There are parts that are amazing and other that need tweaking. Knowing what I know, I wish they would have waited to print the edited version over the Previews script to allow for time for changes. It'll be interesting to see the fans' reaction to it. In my opinion, at least half of the enjoyment of the story was the actors, the actions on stage, and the atmosphere in the theater. I hope for those who don't get to see it, it will translate ok in the printed script.

I am DYING to talk about some of the things that were amazing and some of the things I wish weren't done the way there were.

I think I can say this without spoiling anything - this story is a love letter to the fans. I think I would have liked to know that going in.

ETA: Scorpius. He was the highlight of the whole experience.

I am coming late to the party. I knew I was seeing it so I stayed spoiler free until I did. This posted spoiler is accurate. In my audience everyone groaned not gasped at the part mentioned in the spoiler. And it is the one and only thing I did not like about the play. Too fanfic-y. Almost ruined it for me. I said earlier you really have to think of it as a love letter to the fans, not the 8th story. Makes it all better.
I'll be unable to do so. I don't consider something like that to be a love letter to fans. But I guess different strokes. I'll be considering it to be AU.

Old July 11th, 2016, 5:55 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
. . . Knowing what I know, I wish they would have waited to print the edited version over the Previews script to allow for time for changes. . .
There will be a final version published this fall. I suspect the two versions is just another money grubbing action.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old July 11th, 2016, 6:25 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
There will be a final version published this fall. I suspect the two versions is just another money grubbing action.
Yes, definitely. By the publishers, for sure. I don't think JKR needs anymore money except if she has plans to give more away to her causes.

I really wonder how much will change from previews to final script. My friends who saw Hamilton in previews said the second half changed a lot between previews and opening day. But I have a feeling the main plot issues will remain, just the dialogue will be tightened up. Maybe Harry won't be so all-caps Harry, small things like that. But I really wish they would edit a line at the end:
"She was raised to believe she is" instead of "She is the daughter of"
I could forgive all the other fanfic like stuff, but not really that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
I'll be unable to do so. I don't consider something like that to be a love letter to fans. But I guess different strokes. I'll be considering it to be AU.
I do understand, I really do, and I don't think reading it will be the same as seeing it. There were amazing moments that had me crying, some that I laughed out loud, and others that I was like, 'ugh, really???' I firmly believe she should not have billed it as the 8th story. I would have liked an 8th story more about Albus and Scorpius, but this isn't it. The time that they have together though is lovely, and they didn't need to
revisit the past
to explore that relationship.

I really feel like the premise proposed to her was,
what if all the characters could make amends for all the terrible things that happened.
And that's where I interpret it as a love letter.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies